[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Personal Trainer/Physical Therapist AMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: l12.gif (340 KB, 346x378) Image search: [Google]
l12.gif
340 KB, 346x378
A PhD in Kinesiology, 8 years work as a personal trainer, 4 years working as a physical therapist.

I have spare time so I decided to help someone who might need help.

If you need help with form, nutrition, mobility and flexibility or picking a routine - this is your thread.
>>
inb4 someone asks about skinnyfat syndrome
>>
>>37441636
What do you think of the jefferson curl?
>>
Otherwise healthy, fit young male starts getting middle-back spasms on the job lifting 30-50 pound boxes. Debilitating pain for about an hour, muscle settles down a little but remains tender for days after. Pain from tenderness alleviated largely by keeping shoulders back and upper back tight and engaged when bending and lifting.

Safe to assume that I've just been punished for lazy posture? Anything special to do other than be more disciplined and develop the upper back more?
>>
I cannot squat or deadlift without lower back pain

sitting down on a chair causes some discomfort when my lower back is rounded

what do I do?
I know the problem is muscular because I got x-ray scans and they said I was fine
>>
so i guess i kinda need a bit of help.

when i was 11 i had an accident. not spine related but i made me sit on my ass in a bad position for months in order to recover. not only did i turn fat since i could practice sports anymore, which sucks since i had a chance to go pro, but it also killed my motivation at the time and had prolonged side effects that kept me from doing physical activities.

due to sitting all day erry day in a tilted postion and not doing physical activities today i think i might have a slight scholiosis. since then i started doing sports again ( not profesionally, just for therapy purposes at first and then for conditioning ) , started swimming and running and in the last 6 months i have started lifting. i was doing squats but no deads in the beggining in order to protect my spine and i've dropped squats all toghether for the past 4 months.

not remember that tilt i was talking about, that makes one side of my back permanently kinda sore, while the other side feels normal. i i always feel like popping my spine. now the feeling isn't painful or anything, i was just worried about it because i realised i am unbalanced. i can lift more with the right side ( sore side ) than with the left, yet i think when i'm doing some lifts i still tilt too much on that side and i'm afraid of hurting myself. so far i had no injury, there was a time when i started doing dips and chin ups when my shoulders and elbows were hurting but that went away.

anyway do you have any tips for that, streching and flexibility routines for getting a symetrical body. also could i start doing sports at a professional level at 19 years old, with little training, but okay strength, good agility and reflexes ? and if so, then what sport.

i should add that the injury i sustained when i was a kid healed but it still has left some marks, and also that my spine is so far healthy, i just get that weird feeling in it, nothing injury-like so thats good i guess
>>
>>37441691
When done with proper form it can be felt as a really pleasant release of vertebrae on healthy adults. It's not really easy to teach tho, and trainees who are just starting are better off doing leg crosses and scorpions for back mobility.

>>37441714
It sounds as if you lack flexibility in the mid-back compartment. Are your scapulas mobile enough ? If you're lacking scapula mobility you're gonna have to do mobility exercises or otherwise you're risking a more serious injury.

>>37441721
You're struggling with the most common problem of all - weak hip flexors.
The obvious answer is stretching them. It might take a while, but regular stretches should eliminate your problem for good.
>>
>>37441797
>You're struggling with the most common problem of all - weak hip flexors.
>The obvious answer is stretching them. It might take a while, but regular stretches should eliminate your problem for good.
Could you elaborate on this please, because it doesn't make any sense to me.
>>
File: 39.gif (3 MB, 375x216) Image search: [Google]
39.gif
3 MB, 375x216
Got a new job where I have to stand up 8 hours straight. First 2-3 hours are fine. After that the soles of my feet start to hurt really bad and my lower back starts hurting a lot. I mean, I deadlift a decent amoumt of stats and have an OK progress on my back but what movements could increase my stamina to this regard?
>>
What's the best way to avoid/treat shin splints?

Never really ran before too much and then decided to run 20 miles a week for 2 weeks and fucked my shit up. Waiting for them to go away now so I can get back out there.
>>
>>37441888
Not OP but what the hell do you think?
Ease into things instead of doing stupid shit like that. Give your body time to adapt.
>>
Is running up stairs really bad for you? I've taken to doing them recently, and I worried if I'm killing some part of my body.
>>
>>37441636

Friday morning I snapped my shit up doing a deadlift. Wasn't near my max but got it above my knees and my lower back cracked in about 10 places. I thought my form has been fine.

Since then it's been stiff and sore as fuck. Any stretches I can do? How long should I take off lifting? I'm hoping it's all muscular and gonna go to the dr this week for xrays
>>
I fucked up my shoulders doing this exercise:

https://youtu.be/HMvzUDwaBeA?t=115

They were painful for about 1.5-2 months afterwards and I did minimal lifting in that time. They're better now, but they're still not back to normal. What part of the shoulder did I most likely fuck up? The rotator cuff or something else? How do I fix it?
>>
>>37441636
Are exercises for the jaw real?
>>
What do about hyperextended knees?

What do for shoulder mobility besides dislocates?
>>
>>37441636
>PhD in kinesiology
why?
>>
File: 20160605_111631.jpg (1 MB, 1438x1420) Image search: [Google]
20160605_111631.jpg
1 MB, 1438x1420
I'm 5'9, currently at about 180 in this photo.

What should my ideal weight be if I wanted something close to otter mode?
I have yet to really figure a goal so I'm just aiming at 160 for now.
>>
>>37441636
im 110 and i cant lift 8 pound weights without panting and in pain. what to do?
>>
>>37443591
are you a male? height?
>>
>>37441636
Opinions on Massage Therapy?
>>
>>37441888
run slower and often
>>
how do i fix my fingers getting numb when i sleep?
>>
Do people call you doctor? How many clients have you failed to train or they just seemed to make no results of any sort no matter ehat you gave them.

I know theres 3 kinds of respnders in fitness, would you beleieve some people need to do a lift everyday twice a day to progress like an olympic athlete?
>>
>>37441812
Not OP, but I would assume the back problems are caused from sitting too much, if it isn't from an injury, and the cause of back pain is generally weak abs and tight hip flexors. Stretching them will cause them to loosen up, and improve posture. But he will still need to do ab exercises like planks and dead bugs.

I had a similar problem, so I am just saying what worked for me.
>>
>>37443623
I get that too, it's bad circulation, try and lose more weight if you're fat.
>>
>>37443599
5'7" male
>>
I have ulnar nerve subluxation, really starting to hate it. What can I do besides surgery to fix it? I bought a compression sleeve to try and keep it in place while lifting but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. pls help
>>
>>37443560
Not him but some of us like sports science research/exercise physio. Im in an MS in kin program. At least at my school, we get to work with some actual elite athletes. Connections that you get to make are pretty awesome.
>>
>>37441636
Can static stretching give you overall and lasting better mobility and flexibility?
>>
I have multiple stab wounds in my left side from last september. I have fixed most of my imbalances and still have to do lots of stretching and mobility work more often than before, but theres two things bothering me. The first is that my serratus anterior on the left is all shriveled up compared to the left, and it doesn't seem to want to grow back. I do workouts targetting the area as well as stretches but progress has been slow. I believe that it is hindering my benhc press greatly and it makes controlling the eccentric on dumbell OHP nearly impossible unless I use super light weights. I also have this really hard lump under my chest in the serraatus area. I find that massaging/foam rolling/stretching kind of breaks it down a little but it doesn't wanna go away. Could this be scar tissue or something? It is right beside where they put a tube in my lung.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.