[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long til 2pl8?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5
File: bench_press.jpg (88 KB, 482x434) Image search: [Google]
bench_press.jpg
88 KB, 482x434
I'm a scrawny DYEL who has just reached 1pl8 on my bench. WOOHOO! I'm amped! But how long will it take me to get to 2pl8?

How long did it take you guys to go from 1pl8 to 2?
>>
>>37440275

bump
>>
File: 12pl8plug.jpg (30 KB, 659x483) Image search: [Google]
12pl8plug.jpg
30 KB, 659x483
>>37440321

No one here can bench 2pl8?
>>
>>37440275

We have no idea how long it will take you. Too many variables involved.
>>
>>37440384

Doh. I bench three times a week, to go failure, eat my body weight in protein in grams....

Does that help? I'm hoping that I can get to 2pl8 in under six months. Does that sound possible?
>>
>>37440275
I find it funny how so many people on /fit/ seriously can't bench 225. Is /fit/ just weak or is everyone else at my gym just really strong?
>>
>>37440410

If everyone at your gym legit benches 225 with proper form, your gym is vastly stronger than average. Not super strong, but its clearly lacking the new lifters and the casuals that most gyms have dragging down the average.
>>
>>37440403
>bench three times a week
That's retarded
>go to failure
That's retarded
>bodyweight in protein
That's retarded

Follow a beginner powerlifting program.
Don't go to failure, stick to the program.
0.8 grams of protein per pound of LEAN MASS.
>>
>>37440347
If you talking about 1rm it took me a year of shit training & diet.
>>
>>37440403
Gram of protein per lbs of bodyweight is a fucking scam perpetuated by the fitness industry and roided up bodybuilders. even if you're just counting lean mass it's too much. You should always ask yourself "what are the trying to sell me?" and in this case it's scoops of whey.

Gram by KG of bodyweight is enough. Just try it while eating the same calories and see if you don't make gains.

Yes it's possible that you can make it in 6 months. If you really want to bench 3 times a week, keep in mind you should train your back just as hard / often, else you'll surely fuck your shoulders.
>>
>>37440410
/fit/ is filled with beginners are amateurs. I'd wager 75% of /fit/ at least has been lifting < 1 year.
>>
>>37440436
>Yes it's possible that you can make it in 6 months. If you really want to bench 3 times a week, keep in mind you should train your back just as hard / often, else you'll surely fuck your shoulders.

I do my full body. Thanks for the reassurance. Six months is very motivating to me as a goal. I can't wait.

>>37440421
>Follow a beginner powerlifting program.

I think that that's what I'm doing now. Full body, compound exercises, three times a week.

I know that SS is popular but I heard that makes people fat/t-rex.

Is there something you'd recommend other than SS?
>>
>>37440624
Greyskull LP
Candito's beginner LP

Both are better than SS
>>
>>37440641

Thanks for that. I'll start researching them now.
>>
>tfw stuck at 1pl8 + change for over a month

1pl8 to 2pl8 is going to be a LONG ROAD. I can tell.
>>
>>37440275

>How long till 2pl8 bench

What? That doesn't compute. Any healthy man can bench hiw own bw multiple times and 2pl8 at least once if he isn't a complete sedentary auschwitz survivor. I passed 3pl8 a long time ago but I remember every time there is a new guy at the gym they usually start at around 2pl8.
Just eat more you skellington.
>>
>>37440275
Ever notice how people are pretty different? Yeah, people are pretty different. Look, some individuals hit 2 plates within a couple of months whereas others take a year just getting to 1 plate. Of course the first example is quite rare, and the second example is doing a lot of things wrong - but who's to say you aren't?

Nobody can answer your question. It doesn't make any sense anyway because you're either lifting or you're not. You must learn to enjoy the journey as much as the destination or you won't make it.
>>
The best way to up yer bench is to focus on the two areas where people get hung up with large weight- the initial punch and the final lock out.
That means things like decline bench and tricep extensions.

Also try to lift weights explosively. Stop fucking talking, take the headphones out of your ears. You are here to fucking lift.
>>
1pl8 in 8th grade, 2pl8 , 11 years later when i startedcl lifting again
>>
>>37440667
>if he isn't a complete sedentary auschwitz survivor.

Yup, that's me! And I'm eating more and more these days. about 400 cal surplus. Can most people really do at least one rep at 2pl8? That seems like a long a weight for noobie.
>>
>>37440671
>tricep extensions
lol
>>
>>37440436
are you retarded
i hit daily 200g of protein without any shakes

enjoy your no gains
>>
>>37440669
>You must learn to enjoy the journey as much as the destination or you won't make it.

I agree with you and I do enjoy the workout for its own sake. I love the pump of the adrenaline and the mood boost that follows for hours. Definitely enjoying the means as much as the ends.

I'm probably still making mistakes but I'm learning as I go, and you guys have been very helpful in that. So a sincere thank you to everyone.

>>37440671
>Also try to lift weights explosively.
Will do.

>>37440671
>Stop fucking talking, take the headphones out of your ears. You are here to fucking lift.
I keep the earphones in to dissuade others from approaching and talking to me. Plus I get to play my "prison yard" music which motivates me to go crazy hard at the gym.
>>
>>37440687

Sure. Just ask some guy at the gym to show you.
I work in construction at a lot of them don't go to gym but they can still easily bench over 100kg worth a cement bags multiple times in a row.
>>
>>37440671
>the initial punch and the final lock out
Your advice is to focus on the two areas where nobody has any trouble while avoiding the universal sticking point in the middle?
>>
Speaking of bench press, where are you meant to grip the bar? Faggoty trainer came upto me and said I was gripping it too narrow.
>>
>>37440667
0/10
>>
>>37440740
You can grip it however you want, but some things make more sense than other things.

Your forearms should be vertical in the bottom of the movement when viewed from your feet. That means that if you grip narrow you'll touch a little lower on your chest and if you grip wider you'll touch higher. Works the other way around too of course; if you want to touch low, you'll need to grip narrower. If you want to touch high, you'll need a wider grip.

Somebody who competes in powerlifting may want to take an ultra wide grip to shorten the range of motion as much as possible. That's cool if all you care about is hitting the biggest number. But if you're benching to develop strength and/or size, use the above recommendation.
>>
>>37440347
it took me 6 months of shit training n diet.
>>
>>37440687

Dont even try you will get beheaded. This guy is baiting you proper
>>
>>37440275
From 1pl8? A year or so I suppose, less maybe? It took me less than two years from when I began lifting
started at 55kg bodyweight at 183/6'0 though, so it took awhile
>>
Trained for just under 3 months, and i benched 92,5 kg for 5 reps yesterday. No former training experience, BW 82 kg. How is bench so hard for so many?
>>
>>37440421
>Don't go to failure

Why not?
>>
>>37440853
ignore him, going to failure is fine if you've already done some of your working sets, in fact if you don't go to failure on some of them then you're not training as optimally as you could be, it means the weights are too light

how long did it take you to get 1pl8 and what weight did you start at?
>>
>>37440872
not him but i started at just the bar and got to 1pl8 in 3 months. no physical gains though
>>
>>37440697
I hit 120-150
And my bench shits on most people's deadlift
>>
About 8 years until this https://youtu.be/D-X0bqDGlR8
>>
>>37440809

I know I can't do 2pl8. I barely just made it to 1pl8 over many months, but thanks for the caution.
>>
>>37440914
at a guess if you train correctly you could be at 2pl8 in 6-9 months

ignore the faggots saying they hit 2pl8 after 6 months, it's possible but not for the average skinnyfat who posts on /fit/, they're most likely just shitposting
>>
>>37440275
Bench is highly dependant on leverage. You're either good or you're average. Probably average.

If you can't progress there's 2 possible reasons
From most important to least important:
>Not enough volume
Sets of 5 won't build a strong bench press, your chest is small, make it bigger.
This means do high rep style bodybuilding work or you can do low rep higher frequency work.

Benching 3x a week isn't stupid if that's your primary press of choice. Same for overhead press.
You squat 3x a week, why not press 3x a week?

If your lift is bad it's because you haven't rained it enough. There's no other explanation.

The less likely reason is you're not eating enough and your CNS is fatigued. Very unlikely unless you're on a large cut.
>>
>>37440968

I haven't stalled. I'm just curious how long it takes a dedicated, clean eating lifter to get to the second plate, that's all. I just want to keep it in mind as a motivator. I enjoy lifting, dont' get me wrong, but it's nice to know if my progress is more or less on track with everyone else. If not, then I can think about what I can do to improve it.
>>
>>37440998
1 year is reasonable with good programming diet rest etc
>>
>>37440998
Your progress is dependant on your relative strength.

How much do you weigh?
What program are you running?

You've just benched 1pl8?
Let's say you progress 2.5kg a week for here on out, without fail, every week. That's 16 weeks until you reach 2pl8

There's factors such as body weight and programming which may slow down progression.

It will be a lot easier for you to bench 100kg if you weigh more. But even if you are light weight you still can bench big weights with the right technique and leverages.

http://youtu.be/8ObLI2uJaxg
>>
>>37440347
bout 8 months of serious training and shitty diet
>>
>>37440667
why do people do this? I mean are you masturbating right now at the thought of you hurting a skelly dude who can't even bench 1pl8? this kind of b8 isn't even funny anyway bro
>>
>>37441060
You probably can bench 2pl8 in 6 months starting from the bar if you trained perfectly from day 1

The chances of a novice lifter training perfect from day 1 is about as much chance as you getting laid tonight.
>>
File: 1464668113650.jpg (16 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1464668113650.jpg
16 KB, 700x500
Anyone else stuck in the high 200's?

Feels like a bigger barrier than hitting 2lmao's
>>
>>37440844
Genetics bro.

A friend of mine who doesn't train at all, benches 80 kg easily
>>
>>37440697
That's good anon. My whole point was that nobody needs shakes, not even people who have difficulty reaching high protein amounts just from food. I don't understand why you're wondering if I'm retarded. To be fair OP never mentioned shakes, but I just get a bit mad every time I sense this meme.

I don't have to count protons because I know I'm reaching the minimum easily every day and I know it's enough to make gains.
>>
>>37440421
How the fuck are you going to get any reasonable weekly volume benching less than 3 times a week?
>>
>>37441190
I don't need shakes but they're convenient and cheap so I use them. I hope this triggers you.
>>
>>37441204
You're retarded please watch some 3dmj videos or something and learn about programming
>>
>>37441226
>3dmj
>don't bench 3x a week

You're so retarded. I just have to let you know.
I can not sit back and not let you know that you're retarded.

Seriously, I imagine you've been training like a year and know everything, right?
>>
>>37441226
>I watch one youtube channel for all my training information

The more volume you can get in a week for a muscle group the more hypertrophy you can stimulate.

The easiest way to add volume for any body part is to increase the number of sets you do.

The easiest way to get more sets into a week of training is to train on multiple days.

Only benching twice a week is a meme that made me stall for about 4 months, I started benching at least 3 times a week and haven't stalled for any longer a week since.
>>
>>37441291
Don't even reply. It is not worth your time.

He's literally retarded. Don't waste your time
>>
Benched a plate within 4 weeks of lifting, started with the bar, on a cut

am I going to make it to 2 plate before end of the year?
>>
In a similar case, is it too uncommon if I can squat more than I deadlift?

Another recovering DYEL here. I reached 2pl8 in squat but im not even close to it in DL
>>
File: newb progress.jpg (119 KB, 731x436) Image search: [Google]
newb progress.jpg
119 KB, 731x436
took me 12 weeks
>>
Tore my chest in feb, came back at 135 for like 5-8 reps in march

Gonna go for 225 1rm on monday
>>
>>37440624
it makes people fat because they neglect supplemental exercises and GOMAD when they should be eating clean (or don't stop GOMAD after clearing auschwitz mode)
>>
File: einstein.jpg (37 KB, 480x488) Image search: [Google]
einstein.jpg
37 KB, 480x488
>>37440275
Stuffs me mate. I've been at it for 9 months and can only bench 165.

Can deadlift 280, so I've got that going for me, which is nice
>>
>>37440667
BUT DOES YOUR BODY LOOK GOOD TO THATS THE REAL QUESTIN!!!!
>>
>>37440347
One year of great training interrupted every two months for work overseas.
>>
>>37441101
Tfw been stuck at 275 for 3 weeks now
Just fucking end me
>>
>>37441328
Hah, what a fucking faggot.

I was benching 1 pl8 the first time I hit the gym back when I was 12, and I had 2 broken arms.
>>
It took me three years total.
>>
>>37440687
It is. It's b8 m8
>>
>>37440720
>"prison yard" music
google didn't help me so please give some examples
>>
Depends on how much you are willing to eat.
Anywhere from 2-3 months to 2-3 years.
>>
>>37440740
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T9UQ4FBVXI

this is a good video series (stupid ass title..."art of manliness", fuck off) that can help out. definitely helped me with my ohp. in this particular video mark goes over every aspect of the bench press...body placement on the bench, grip (both position of bar in hand and hands on the bar), etc.
>>
>>37440275
I was benching 1 pl8 a month and a bit ago.. now can bench 30 pounds more on 5x5... so I guess about 1/3 of the way there
>>
>>37443030

I'm not bragging m8
>>
>>37443320
;)
>>
Slightly off topic, but around how much do I need to bench press to have a decent looking chest?

I'm 5'10, and I know bf% plays a role, so assume that when I reach a high enough bench, I cut down to 11-12% bf.
>>
>>37443450

please anon I just want to escape dyel status
>>
I've been stalling on 1pl8 bench for like 2 weeks now I just wanna kill myself brehs
>>
>>37443601
Dunno if you're still here, but I have very good genetics for lifting, ate clean and at a bulk, and it took me about 8 months to get from 1pl8 which is what I started with, to 2pl8. I am 5'8 though so if you're taller it might be faster
>>
>>37440671
Paused reps require far more strength than explosive rep. When your elbows are in line with your torso, stop the movement for one second. Throw your rhythm off for a a second and take momentum out of the equation. I usually do this on way last rep and with a spotter.
>>
>>37445342

Same height actually

I'll try to one up you
>>
>>37440275
no idea, i started at 1 pl8

been lifting (on a cut) for 1.5 years, ive lost 35 lbs, i can 1 rep 2 pl8 without much trouble but usually just bench around 175 or 185 for 10 or so reps
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.