[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I overdevelop my shoulders / back muscles from doing too
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: AY9Xl.png (46 KB, 431x432) Image search: [Google]
AY9Xl.png
46 KB, 431x432
Can I overdevelop my shoulders / back muscles from doing too much chin-ups and pull-ups?
They're just too fun to do

Also what other upper body calisthenics exercises I can do to complement them to even it out? I also have 20lb dumbbells at home.
>>
Don't expect advice from here about bodyweight exercises here, 90% of the fatties can't even do a single chin up, let alone 5 push-ups
>>
Hey guys can I just get way too ripped if I put in slightly over a minimal effort? Asking for a friend
>>
>>37421740
there is no real limit to how developed your back should be. Well developed backs are imo the most aesthetic part of any physique. Just remember to do your barbell rows and deadlifts to develop your erectors, rhomboids, and traps which give you that "thick" look.
>>
I couldn't do a single pull-up strict until about a month ago when I started using assistance bands, can now do 3x5 unassisted strict pull ups, I can do 7 in one set if needed.

I know it doesn't really help you OP, But if there was anybody lurki that can't do any then try using bands, it's a bit dodgy to use but it'll really help you develop your strength for doing proper pull ups.
>>
>>37421740
In the off chance that this is a serious question, No. You need to add weight to build any significant muscle. Just doing a ton of them will only build endurance. Flyes and Lat Raises will help but in the long run you have to add weights
>>
I don't understand why big lats and shoulders would be a problem?
>>
I can't seem to go above 4 sets of 6 pullups. Been doing them for awhile now. What am I doing wrong? Did have that year of military service that really fucked up my diet/any kind of routine, but I digress.
>>
>>37421920
How often are you doing 4x6?
>>
>>37421920
Go to failure, do 4xF and then if you did let's say 26 reps by now, do another 24 reps in as little sets as possible. At the end you will be making sets with 1 rep, but don't stop until you do around 50 pull ups. Then do this again 3-4 days later.
That's how I progressed.
>>
>>37421864
POWER CLEANS
O
W
E
R

C
L
E
A
N
S
>>
>>37423378
>>37421920
When I was stalling I found it much simpler and efficient to just add weight. One workout with a 5lb dumbell in between my legs and I never looked back since. Just get a backpack and put heavy shit in it. Bodyweight chins feel like nothing now. Also if you aren't now you can try controlling the eccentric a lot more, that made a big difference for me too on lighter sets
>>
if anything your back should be stronger than your chest and "front" muscles, your pull/push ratio should be at least 1.3:1, i've heard some even say 1.5/2:1
>>
>>37425564
I had the same experience with adding weight. good advice
>>
>>37421869
Go for the armstrong pullup program
>>
>>37421886
Only when he can do 3x8 you cunt. And that's not what he asked.
>>
>>37421920
When I stalled on my pullups I switched to 3 x F and made some progress. Now I switched back to weighted.
>>
>>37421886
>You need to add weight to build any significant muscle.
No, you need to addd resistance. It doesn't necessarily have to come from additional weight.
>>
>>37421740
>Can I overdevelop my shoulders / back muscles
Well yes and no. Having certian muscle groups that are disproportionally big and strong aren't likely to cause problems. However, they get big and strong in response to being trained a lot, and training a muscle a lot (e.g. by doing tons of chin-ups) often leads to other adaptations in the muscle than just size and strength - Certain muscles have a tendency of becoming "tight", which means they're a bit shortened even while relaxed. This makes it easier for you to contract them and therefore it's a useful thing to have e.g. tight lats when you want to do chin-ups all the time. BUT having tight muscles means other things are likely to get pulled slightly out of position. In the case of the latissimus dorsi your shoulder mobility actually worsens. Depending on what kind of activities you need to do on a regular basis that may or may not be an issue, but it can actually set you up for an injury if you need to do a lot of work over head for example.

tl;dr it's cool to do lots of chins, but make sure to stretch your lats.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.