[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Brown Fat BS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: brown-fat.jpg (85 KB, 670x409) Image search: [Google]
brown-fat.jpg
85 KB, 670x409
I've been reading a lot about brown fat vs white fat. That you can lose weight by being in cold (59'F or 15'C) for extended periods of time, or by taking near freezing cold showers everyday. Apparently the cold causes brown fat to activate and start burning white fat to generate heat. Your body will always do this before causing you to shiver. The longer you do are cold, the more brown fat that will build up, the faster your white fat burns off.

Brown fat doesn't build up everywhere like white fat. It forms along the spine, around organs, and muscle.

The thing is, I haven't seen any actual medical journals publish anything about this, and google isn't turning up results. I am just wondering if it's just a snake oil like thing or meme or some shit.

What does /fit/ think or know about it?
>>
>>37421275
I know that cryolipolysis is a thing so freezing fat definitely works but results from just taking cold showers? Pff
>>
>Can't find info in medical journals
Then it's bullshit.
>>
Great, fatty, just stand in the parking lot of the IHOP without a shirt on for 12 minutes before you get that nightly double slice of peanut butter pie, you'll be ripped in no time
>>
Where do you live? How is 15'C cold in any way?
Try -35 bud.
>>
>>37421275
Unless your a newborn or a hibernating animal you do not possess high stores of brown fat. Being cold requires you to burn more calories to stay warm. That's just your body trying it's best to stay at 98.7 F. The whole "activating brown fat to burn white fat" is about as important as activating your almonds.
>>
Is brown fat the marketing euphemism for visceral fat?
>>
No. Cold makes you shiver which burns a small amount of calories. But it really is a negligible amount. This isn't a shortcut. It won't create a caloric deficit if you're not already in one. Anything else is total bro science.
>>
>>37421334

I figure it means "relatively cold to body temperature". I see you're trying anyway.
>>
Found an article on WebMD. http://www.webmd.com/diet/the-truth-about-fat?page=1

Is webmd reliable information?
>>
>>37421370
Cold can cause burning of calories to keep the body warm. But if anyone is cold enough to be shivering in +15 weather they have some other medical issue. 15 is no where near cold enough to burn anything.
>>
>>37421394

The article says brown fat activates BEFORE shivering. Not during. If you're shivering, it means your brown fat isn't producing enough heat to warm you up fast enough.
>>
brown fat appears brown because of an increased amount of mitochondira in the fat cell(due to the body's need to produce heat)

Mitochondria are the "powerplants" of the cell.
>>
File: oXRmvsF.jpg (116 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
oXRmvsF.jpg
116 KB, 640x640
>>37421275
>>37421307

There're plenty of studies on brown fat, you guys haven't looked very hard. It's also marketed and memed a lot because of cryotherapy and a common use in athleticism (which invariably results in blogs and marketing going nuts).

>>37421361
No, visceral fat is standard dietary fat mostly around the abs, brown fat is primarily adipose tissue located in a range of places, mostly including shoulder blades, spine, kidneys, neck, etc

It's mostly connected with hibernation and cold and is more researched in the young, but it's interesting shit.

Wim Hof is a great place to look if you want to hear about someone with a first hand experience on it, just beware some of the bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaMjhwFE1Zw
>>
>>37421473

That's a nice flower pot. Is it yours, or just a picture you have?
>>
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/brown-fat-losing-weight-through-thermogenesis/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/boosting-brown-fat-through-diet/
>>
>>37421433
ITS POWERHOUSE YOU FUCKING FAGGOT
>>
>>37421493
Random picture from some guy who "fixed" his broken flower pots
>>
>>37421275

>cold
>15 degrees C

aveage tep in the UK is between 8-11 degrees C

my country is making me ripped...
>>
>>37421529
I will now add cayenne pepper to all my dishes.

>they couldn't use white people to study the effects of spicy foods
kek
>>
>>37421473
is the dark brown meat you find around the spine of a chicken brown fat? i love that shit
>>
>>37421275

Sure, metabolic fat is a real thing.
>>
>take 2 weeks cold showers
>feels pretty good- that rush feels amaizing
>keep doing that until I got extremly painful epididymitis for the first time in my life probably because all that coldness
>now i cant train/run/swim/bike for a month

>my pain is constant and sharp
>>
>>37422158
That's what you get for doing memes you find on the internet without any fucking idea what you're doing
>>
>>37421275
>broscience 101
Why does everybody have to come up with that one weird trick? Nobody ever just wants to exercise and cut calories. It's sad but that's actually becoming the "one weird trick"
>>
>>37421417
Shivering is just forcing you to contract muscles which increases blood flow and heat
>>
>>37422158
Fucking retard you probably look gross too you need heat to properly clean off all the cum on your ass and face.
>>
I suppose taking a cold shower will cause your metabolism to burn more calories to warm your body, but the difference is small enough to be negligible and certainly does not qualify to be one weird trick.
>>
>>37421981
Almost undeniably no
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.