[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calisthenics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9
Why does /fit/ hate bodyweight exercises so much?

>can train fill body
>promotes endurance and static strength
>insane amount of exercises you can do just on the floor or bar
>can still make impressive gains

I understand the benefits of free weights, but are they really THAT much greater than using what nature gave?
>>
progressive overload
>>
>>37415673
Ah. I see.
Better go start paying someone on a monthly basis to let me use their heavy things.
>>
>>37415681
I don't think you understood what he said, but you replied anyway.
>>
>>37415670
near by city has an chubby old guy(60-75) that does the bottle thing with a single champgin bottle as a street performence gets mad mires every time
>>
>>37415673
This
>>
newfag here
when should I switch to weights from calisthenics? how do I know I am ready to move on to heavy shit?

>inb4 sticky
lazy desu senpais
>>
Why the fuck wouldn't you train both with free weights and bodyweight exercises?

I train 5 days a week and love to do both. Handstands and planches are fun stuff.
>>
>>37415720
Fit told me to only work 4 times a day. fuck is this shit nigger ?
>>
>>37415719
Start now.
>>
Newfag here. I'm a lazy piece of shit what should I do?
>>
>>37415681
You can phrase it derogatorily all you want, but truth is that it's worth it. If you really believe it isn't then don't do it, but don't expect everyone to suddenly change their minds to support your decision just because you asked a question without providing any actual evidence.
>>
>>37415670

Those bottles are gonna break and fuck up his hands
>>
>>37415742
Die
>>
>>37415670
>calistupids
Leo pls go
>>
>>37415670
I do a mixture of free weights and bodyweight.

I think there's a lot of negativity towards them because a lot of the harder bodyweight exercises are technically complex and require a lot of dedication to achieve similar to why not a lot of people who lift perform the clean & jerk and snatch.

Most people on this board I assume are wanting to gain muscle. Technically complex exercises are not the most efficient way to build muscle. You don't see body builders doing front lever raises to build their lats or handstand pushups to build their shoulders.

Also bodyweight exercises are rather lacking in the lower body department.
Legs are very strong muscles and require a large stimulus to grow. It's very hard to grow decent legs with a bodyweight of only ~80kg. The only bodyweight leg exercise that's very difficult is the glute ham raise. The majority of people who can do a bodyweight barbell squat would be able to do a pistol squat easily if they have the mobility/balance for it. You can still develop powerful legs that are good at jumping but you won't be able to build the kind of strength and size you can from a weight loaded leg exercises.

Even pull-ups and dips become too easy so people do weighted variations.

Bodyweight skills are fun to train and achieve but for the average /fit/izen not something that interests them.
>>
>>37415670
The biggest Problem I see is the proper overload for legs and the lower back e.g. heavy squats and deadlifts...with weighted pistols you can get far, but how do I simulate the deadlift?

For upper body Calisthenics are great, One arm pull ups are one of the most heavy exercises out there.
>>
File: 1443075554893.jpg (43 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1443075554893.jpg
43 KB, 600x400
>>37415754
Fair enough m8t
>>
>>37415797
I'm into cali because it works not only muscle (tho slower than weighted), but you get a good feeling of how to balance your body and decent agility.

But arms gains are fucking laughable. What would you suggest to add to regular program of push ups, pull ups? (preferably dumbells, broke as fuck to pay even for a month in cheap basement gym)
>>
because it imposes a standard of success that is reliant on beating your own failures rather than arbitrary lift numbers for exercises that are fully disconnected from any actual human need. not doing calisthenics is a way of hiding from your fears of inadequacy

Same reason /fit/ hates team sports and archery don't you know
>>
>>37416018
>agility
>no fast movements
pick one

calisthenics usually neglects the shoulders and the arm itself.
so ohp (dumbbell ohp if you like), curls and skullcrushers
>>37415807
"good morning"s without weights are better than nothing. it's common in martial arts gyms.

most of all this >>37415720
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
47 KB, 1280x720
>>37416060
>calisthenics usually neglects the shoulders

I-I don't really know what to say to fuckery this abysmal, so have a pic, Forrest Gump

Do you think we're talking about touching your toes and jumping jacks?
>>
>>37416018
If you can get a pair of gymnastics rings (you can get a cheap pair for like $20-30) there are a lot of exercises you can do.

Dominik sky has some good videos showing a lot of the bodyweight exercises available and their progressions.

Upper Body Pressing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHvMDlQ8Zyk
Upper Body Pulling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qwqqyj4jkk
Core Work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Lsp_6V47E
>>
>>37416097
yeah like has that guy ever heard of handstand push ups/handstand presses/planche
>>
>>37415797
>Also bodyweight exercises are rather lacking in the lower body department.
this
>>
Is there much point pursuing BW shit without a bar or rings? I live in a small apartment in Japan and I'm 6'4. There's no where viable to put them as I touch the top of door frames even on my knees
>>
>>37416097
>that pic of elite athlete on steroids
>>
>>37416130
I just double checked. I'd, at best, be doing 1/2 - 1/4 ROM with a door-frame mounted bar.
>>
>>37415673

>what is a weighted vest.

With a set of rings I can do everything except for squats and overhead press (deads are for plebs).

chins

shrugs

horizontal rows

1 arm ring rows

ring push ups

ring dips

With a weighted vest and belt (60kg limit) tell me what is missing. Glute work?
>>
>>37415670
1. No legs
2. Yup
3. No
4. No
>>
Because calisthenics are hard and not fun to do in comparison to lifting heavy stuff obviously

I am not defending it but its not like its some fucking mystery

>Pull Rich Piana face, Squat 308lbs x 5, unleash primal howl.

>Spend 14 minuets doing 100 one legged squats on each leg, have sore knees.
>>
>>37416130
Go to a park with monkey bars or similar.

On floor
Handstands, handstand push ups/presses, bodyweight rows under a table or a bar across some chairs. You can do dragon flags (good carry over to front lever if you hold yourself with straight arms), pistol squats
>>
>>37416141
This. Just stay in your reps (6-12 or whatever).
>>
>>37415670
Yeah, the problem with this is that the progression is painfully slow, so if you are already in your 20s and wanna gets stronger quickly it's kinda discouraging. Weights will simply get you quicker with the ability to overload by very small amounts.
It shouldn't stop you for practicing gymnastic movements once you get decent strength base from your weight training.
Well, unless you roid right away. Then it doesn't matter.
>>
>>37416144

>No legs
>What are pistol squats
>>
>>37415673
You can do harder exercise for this desu, weights are better at that tough.
>>
>>37416141
If you wear a weighted vest, you have entered the realm of weight lifting.
>>
>>37415723
only 4 times a day?
its like you dont want to make it
>>
>>37416141
>>37415807
These are good answer for building muscle on calisthenics
But
I still dont see a replacement for lower back?
Can front lever/back lever compare?
>>
>>37416060
shoulders and core are literally the most important muscles in gymnastics
>>
>>37416254
Shitty squat variation. Even riding a bike is infinitely better
>>
>>37416641
https://youtu.be/x0Lsp_6V47E?t=222
>>
>>37416097
I love it when people post a pic of elite athletes in situations like this. Do you guys really think that elite athletes don't also go to the gym? Its important as fuck along all other assistance training.
>>
No legs and no progressive overload. People squat 2xBW with barbells, can't do that with calisthenics. Calisthenics only work for people with amazing genetics who don't want legs.
>>
I don't think /fit/ hates calistenics as such, but lets be honest, they are less cool than lifting heavy iron.

Regardless, reverse crunches, pullups, pushups, pushup plus and dibs are part of my routine.
>>
>>37416692
>I don't think /fit/ hates calistenics as such, but lets be honest, they are less cool than lifting heavy iron.
no, it's actually cooler. the problem is that it's way slower. sure, there are people out there that do calisthenics and look good. those people have almost always trained for a decade or more, often use steroids and are often elite athletes. your average, flabby /fit/izen can either lift weights and maybe, MAYBE (most people give up anyway) get somewhere in a few years, or he can do calisthenics for a year or two, realize he's not getting any gains at all, give up and go back to being a fat piece of shit.

I've seen some amazing transformations from people who lift and eat properly, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone go from fat, out of shape 20-something to good looking just by doing calisthenics.
>>
Why do you need to train legs if you're doing calisthenics anyway? As long as you either bike or run your legs will be trained enough.

Plus if you're doing calisthenics your goal probably isn't aesthetics anyway, it's athletic ability. If you're really that concerned then do some pistol squats.
>>
>>37416763
>athletic ability without legs

m8, legs and glutes are like 70% of being athletic
>>
>>37415673
Try pushups with a weight vest or a backpack of plates. I guarantee pushing up the same weight total is far tougher then presses a bar lying on your back. That being said, I love incline bar.
>>
>>37416670
Sorry, but i dont know what your trying to say by posting that link.
Are there some deadlift replacements or lowerback excersizes of equivalent caliber?
>>
>>37416652
Wait man, whats wrong with weighted pistol squats?
>>
>>37415670
>can train whole body

Except the lower half. Name a single body weight excercise that can replace heavy squats. Once you have the equipment to do squats nearby you might as well just use the weights.
>>
>>37416254
Piss easy. Seriously, before I ever started training I dicked around with convict conditioning and could immediately do pistols. Couldn't do one armed push-ups or more than 6 pull-ups but pistol squats for days. There was no further progression other than increasing reps or adding weight.
>>
>>37417078
BUT MUH PISTOL SKWOTS!!!11111
>>
>>37416977
I squat 300lb.

Am I supposed to pistol squat with 150lb? If I've got the capacity to do that then I clearly have weights nearby. I might as well just use them.
>>
>>37416906
Only harder on your wrists. Also strapping 4-5 45lb plates on your back seems awkward and unsafe if you aka me.
>>
>>37417135
probably under 100lbs you will loose alot of power that will be spend on stability.
>>
>>37417183
Why pistol squat with 100lb when I can squat with 300lb. Are you in a weird situation where you have access to weights but only have access to a limit of 100 lb?
>>
>>37415670
>much greater than using what nature gave
fallacy detected
>>
>>37417135
Actually
You are supposed to pistol squat around 95lbs to squat around 300

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/comments/28mwy9/a_general_comparison_of_pistols_to_barbell_squats/

Yes this is reddit, however the guy who made that post is also the author of overcoming gravity.

I guess what your saying is that barbell squats would be better in terms of convience, and they work more muscle groups(better compund).
However what i meant was, is there something wrong with weighted pistol squats for leg muscle development?
>>
File: 1442985680976.jpg (41 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1442985680976.jpg
41 KB, 550x512
>>37415670
I'm an autist who loves to be left alone. There is a playground near me in which i could do calisthenics but there's always a fuck tone of people there and i don't want them looking at me like a retard, i don't have a friend to go with me. In gym it's obvious why you're there. I can lift in peace, i don't care about people looking at me there since i know that everybody started somewhere, in a few years of constant training i'll be /fit/ enough maybe then when i'll make it i'll go to that playground.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (6 KB, 257x196) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
6 KB, 257x196
>>37417173
Thats why people use paralletes.
There a limit for how much weight you can strap on, maybe 60kg.
Being able to do a pushup is roughly 50-60% bodyweight benchpress.
So you will probably might reach an equivalent strength of 2pl8 but not 3pl8.

Another reason why weights are superior for those who prefer strength.
*tips fedora*
>>
>>37417230
So I should do pistol squats when I can find 95lb just laying around while simultaneously being unable to find 300lb
>>
>>37417230
This post is bullshit. I used to think that way, but it all changed when I actually started squatting.

I was able to do about 4 reps of pistols with 30kg when I weighted 75kg when I was doing calisthenics. I was unable to hit even 100kg to depth on normal barbell squats.
The post doesn't take into account that you need much more torso stabilization when you have big weights on your shoulders. When doing pistols you can also shift weight back and forth to compensate for your weak spots and round your back without getting hurt.
With barbell squats you need to be rock solid. Your posterior chain/quads balance must be maintained and your core and back must be much stronger.
>>
>>37417271
Right. If I'm ever in a situation where I can find enough weight to do weighted push-ups but not enough to bench I'll keep this excercise in mind. Hopefully in that scenario I can also find parallelets.
>>
>>37417271
>maybe 60kg.

that's some shitty paralletes m8

People do planches on them, go figure
>>
>>37417271
I was doing elevated one armed push-ups before I started lifting. It worked out to around 315 for a 1rm.

lol

5 months later I'm doing 200 for 8 reps.
>>
>>37417341
60kg + half body weight. You would have to be a >120kg individual doing a planche for your planche weight to be higher.
>>
>>37417380
I don't think there is a point of doing regular pushups when you can do +60kg. Dips/planche progressions desu
>>
>>37417312
Thats why i said its a better compound. Obv squats arent just legs exclusive. Also dont forget the CNS development/adaptation youll get doing one but not the other. Thats why its not easy to transition between them.
Its much more convenient finding a gym, if you live in a city.

>>37417329
Ya i know, Its just much more convenient doing barbell training.
>>
>>37417418
I'd say transitioning from squats to pistols would be much easier than from pistols to squats, as one would be just learning the skill while the other building up strength in all the places it's missing.
>>
>>37417403
I don't have a problem with people claiming you can get good upper body strength from body weight stuff. There are enough progressions to keep your weaker muscles progressing. But there's not enough for legs and lower back. You cand do tire flips, Boulder lifts, and lift heavy sandbags for deadlifts if you're trying to avoid weights for some reason but nothing can replace squats.
>>
>>37417356
My hardcore calisthenics bro started at 190-200lbs
But he didnt do the 1 arm stuff, only the weight stuff

How did you start with 315 1rm, and only do to 200 for 8 reps in 5months though?
>>
>>37417444
Exactly

>>37417451
By weight stuff i mean heavy bagpack and such
>>
>>37417418
Doing progressions and changing your excersise every few weeks means always being limited by cns adaptation. That's why calesthenics are so slow to progress.
>>
>>37417078

Fucking, walking, running, STANDING UP, jumping, jesus christ are you really that much of a fucking bonehead
>>
>>37417451
I think the point is that the calculations between calesthenics movements and their equivalent barbell excercises are bullshit.
>>
>>37417479
You're not even trying.
>>
>>37416906
>bodyweight training
>weight vest or backpack of plates
>>
>>37417479

Exactly, use your fucking legs like you should and surplus with intensity and your shit will grow.

Doing a few squats and then laying on the couch for the rest of the day with a bowl of chicken breasts really isn't that much of a step up for strength/power gains, and obviously a step back in terms of health gains.
>>
>>37417499

:^(
>>
>>37417507
>turning calesthenics into awkward inefficient weighted excercises.
>>
>>37417518
That's why marathon runners have such massive thighs.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160602-124255~2.png (434 KB, 1115x722) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160602-124255~2.png
434 KB, 1115x722
>>37416141
>don't buy weights
>don't pay for a gym membership
>buy rings and a weighted vest
>>
>>37417518
Confirmed dyel.
>>
>>37416141
Everything below the waist.
>>
>>37417550

Yeah, because marathoners totally eat to build muscle above what's optimal for maintaining output over distance..

Sprint then
Wrestle someone for an hour then, focusing on leg drive (counts as bodyweight, right?). Tell me that your legs aren't fucked in the best possible way. Enjoy your lonely squats, whilst a fuck a 110kg man off the ground and then suck him all night

Faggot
>>
File: ________.jpg (46 KB, 324x322) Image search: [Google]
________.jpg
46 KB, 324x322
>>37417616

>tfw no training buddy to throw around and be thrown around by
>tfw in the closet
>>
>>37415690
one day that bottle will break under his hand
think about it
where will all those shards of glass go
pressing through the firm muscle of his palm
and soft curve of his belly
playing hide and seek
among sleek intestines
>>
>>37417616
Sprinters squat.
I do wrestle. My legs used to get sore after wrestling before I started lifting. Turns out that soreness is just doms because I was a dyel faggot. My wrestling got 12x better when I started lifting and my legs never got sore again
>>
>>37415719
asap, if u want to lift weights. they are 2 different sports, even tho you can mix them up. the reason some say you should start with calisthenics is because its great to milk noob gains, and if youre a skelly, it will be way easier and motivating.
>>
>>37417829

Maybe the men you wrestled weren't big enough
>>
>>37417979
Once you start lifting regularly your Legs don't get sore anymore. They can feel weak and can fail a set but they don't get sore. You obviously don't lift.
>>
>>>/asp/1244778
>>
File: 1440347601665.png (109 KB, 364x422) Image search: [Google]
1440347601665.png
109 KB, 364x422
>>can train the whole body
>no it can't
>>YES IT DOES, JUST INCLUDE WEIGHT TRAINING

Then it's not calisthenics anymore. Just give up OP. I'm not even hating on bodyweight excercises, but retards like you are what puts people off of it.

Also, by posting a ripped olympic roided top tier athlete you are not proving anything, and definitely not that it works the whole body. These people DELIBERATELY NEED TO have legs as light as possible, ask anyone, as they are simply not using them and leg muscles are useless weight for them.
>>
>>37418025

Maybe you're not gay enough
>>
>>37416051
Heavy duty projection
>>
I only hate them when you're doing it in my fucking squat rack
>>
>>37416141
>bodyweight exercises
>using weights things that aren't your bodyweight

Pick one you fucking retard
>>
>>37415670
It's better than nothing but weight lifting can get you better results.
>>
>>37420520
I think you shouldn't do calisthenics for muh body, but for yourself like any other sport / hobby. If you just care about muh body just hit gym like other gymrats
>>
>>37415670
most people just jumping into fitness really need to learn the static control of their body that bodyweight training provides. think about it, why begin weight training and adding load to muscles if you dont even have an awareness or control over all the correct muscles yet? anyone who is serious about keeping fitness a part of their life for years to come and wants to remain healthy will spend time working on bodyweight movements. if it is something you have never worked on, it will really take your fitness to the next level if you took some time off the eights and learned about how your body functionally performs and is trained against gravity
>>
Used to powerlifting but do to work and family ended up building a little out door set up in my back yard and it's been going great. Lost some weight and I feel more athletic. Balance is better endurance is better, calisthenics has a bunch of advantages to traditional training but you won't be able to push up your way to a 400lbs bench press. If that's ok with you go for it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zW_nndQVhZo

Apart from being total D days these guys are a small idea of what body weight excersis can yield and its some damn impressive stuff. I know many power lifters who can't even come close to this level of athleticism.
>>
>>37420925
That's why people who start lifting should start with an empty bar, not why they should do a completely unrelated excersise.
>>
>can't do a single handstand push up

Faggot.

No one is stopping you from squatting. But there's no reason not to be involved in sort of gymnastic athleticism.
>>
>>37416918
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPjbNfDVpDg
Closest you can get is probably this.
>>
>>37415690
I've watched too many episodes of 'Casualty' not to think about the bottle thing goin wrong
>>
>>37415670
>Why does /fit/ hate bodyweight exercises so much?

It's nearly impossible to do if you're a permabulking fatass
>>
>>37415670
for overall functionality purposes, is it better than weights?
>>
does anyone have a good bodyweight routine?
I've been climbing hardcore for a year so I'm pretty strong but not planche and front lever strong
>>
>>37415673
>what is progressively reduced leverage
>>
>>37416060
Calisthenics is practically all shoulders.
I don't know what you're smoking m80.
>>
>>37421966
but are they natty
>>
>>37415670
Friendly advice: >>>/asp/bodyweight

We had calisthenic threads once (a couple of years ago IIRC), eventually the resident thread on this topic moved to asp. It's a slower thread containing some nice resources.
Sadly threads about this on /fit/ degenerate in shitty "wars" and shitposting.
You can build a pretty decent body with bodyweight, it will take waaaay longer to get hypertrophy or strength goals if you're doing it with no gym training but it will unlock some athletic skills and it's better than nothing for autists who wouldn't join a gym anyway.

Take care
>>
File: 20160530_160509.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
20160530_160509.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>37423144
>going to asp
>checking the thread
>>>/asp/1344746
>form check

THANK YOU HUNGRY SKELLINGTON
>>
>>37415673
>I lack creativity
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.