[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can we discuss how to have devastating punching power? lets skip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3
can we discuss how to have devastating punching power? lets skip the "learn technique, how to punch correctly part" im interested in the lifting, working out science behind punching power
>>
>>37407614
Punching power is 40% technique, 40% lower body strength, and 20% upper body strength.
>>
>>37407651
90% technique, 10% muscle power.

You could have the most powerful muscles yet no technique, and your lunch will be rendered useless
>>
>>37407651
>>37407666
talk about specific exercises
>>
>>37407666
goes the other way around too. If you have the best technique in the world but squat 40kg and press 15 you won't do shit.
>>
You gotta have that snap. Thay snap that literally sounds like a fucking whip on the heavybag. Relax hand, throw, make a strong fist in the last 5 inches before contact. In hooks, use your whole body to pivot and hit flush.
>>
>>37407725
This sounds like an interesting way to break your hand, is this legit?
>>
Tyson said years of punching a very heavy custom made bags, and throwing with "bad intentions".
>>
>>37407736
hence the snap
>>
File: 1463262811579.jpg (77 KB, 640x335) Image search: [Google]
1463262811579.jpg
77 KB, 640x335
>>37407666
I do boxing and I agree. I'd rather get punched by this big amateur roided out nigger in my gym, than by Manny Pacquiao
>>
>>37407614

Class is now in session. Fuck Mike Tyson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3PpR12yaRs

Never forget.
>>
>>37407679
Not really because that's an exaggeration. A skinny teenager can knockout a grown weightlifter in one clean shot if he lands it perfectly. Of course weight helps lack of technique, but an average sized post puberty male can KO any man in the world (except for maybe very few exceptions)
>>
I wish I knew how to transfer a bit of my punching power from the heavy bag into sparring. I can smack the shit out of the bag, but end up hitting way too light when sparring, coach was always getting on to me for it. I feel like it's psychological or some shit, but I don't know how to get around it.
>>
>>37407614
Bruce lee has been known to pack a crazy punch at a tiny body weight.
>>
>>37407736
This is correct. Keeping your hand relaxed enables you to punch faster. Clinching your fists all the way through the punch will slow it down and won't be as powerful
>>
>>37407614
I was under the impression that punching power (if you have technique down) is pretty much genetically decided.
>>
>>37407614
Okay OP I'll concede. Even though the answer truly is that you need technique in order to punch hard, let's try your bullshit question anyways.

Since you don't know how to punch you're better off windmilling, throwing hammer fists like some gorilla or ape, so at least you get some acceleration in your punches.

So now just keep building muscle in your forearms so you basically create a club for an arm.
>>
>>37407854
I think u hit too light cuz ur not sure how ur punches will turn out. I had the same problem. Position yourself well, target your opponent's weak spot and punch through the guy
>>
>>37407854
Pretend the guy you're punching raped your sister.
>>
>>37407890
I don't think this is true. I think its just lack of technique and ko ending fight strategy. I'll give an example.

Give Manny Pacquiao and Mayweather a free shot at your face and both will KO you out evenly.
>>
>>37407666
yeah but a skinny 5'5 dude can punch with perfect technique the mountain and wouldn't do much damage as a random punch from the mountain
>>
>>37407854
>>37407910

For me, I got rid of this problem doing the opposite of what this anon recommended, I just threw hard on every punch without caring how it lands.

Obviously I'll still aim, but fighting ain't a movie, in real fighting, you might land a puch half-fist, awkwardly, grazingly, with the forearm, etc
>>
>>37407979
These are exagerated examples. If the 5'5 guy got a perfectly clean shot to the jaw of the mountain it's lights out
>>
>>37407614
1. Technique.

When you jump, you can push many times your own weight off the ground. So too in a similar manner you push off the ground with your back leg (this is why power shots are always thrown flat footed, even with a light-on-the-toes style of fighting), pivot this tremendous amount of weight through the hips, leadijg through the shoulder.

Then you explosively extend your arm. There are finer points of discussion regarding wrist angle, proper fist packing, points of contact, etc. but the gyst of it is, take all the weight that could propel yourself up, and channel it into your opponents face, via hip rotation and arm extension.

2. Explosivity.
Partially genetic, in that how many fast twitch fibers you have, but it CAN be developed and improved, because precisely nobody is at their maximum explosive capacity without having trained. Force = mass * acceleration. More explosivity = more acceleration = more force delivered upon impact. To develop explosivity, first build a strength base, 1 year of strength training is plenty, then switch to shit like plyometric push ups, and ballistic work (throwing heavy shit, basically). Also nothing will develop punching speed better than practicing to punch faster. Same goes for kicks. Heavy bag work, or hitting the mitts with a legit coach is the way to go.

3. Strength.
Obviously you are a stronger puncher if you are a stronger man. You still need to be able to display this strength explosively, but it goes pretty much without saying that you should be stronk, if KO artistry is your aim.

4. Cardio
It might seem unintuitive or unrelatated, but the only chance you get a clean opening for a power shot is either if you sucker punch like a faggot, or if you are well into the fight and have worn the opponent down. You need to cardiovascular capacity to be able to deliver technical, strong, explosive, precise strikes, after having fought balls to the wall for at least a couple minutes...
>>
>>37407614
abs, lowerbody shoulders, chest, back and triceps are the most important muscles used on punching respectively

your core should be as strong as possible, because you punch by turning your body to the oposite direction of the hand you're punching with (you turn your body to the left while punching with the right hand)

your shoulders, chest and triceps is what makes your arm strong and stable during the punch

back is a stabilizer on the punch (along with your core)

Lowerbody is also stabilizer
>>
>>37408066
..comment was too long.

Also wanted to say you need cardio because if you throw these huge bombs, and they dont connect properly, you need to be able to keep going. If you have no cardio, throwing power shots too early is going to fuck you, like it fucked mcgregor when he got outclassed by nate the great diaz
>>
File: a1qjX7y.jpg (116 KB, 788x960) Image search: [Google]
a1qjX7y.jpg
116 KB, 788x960
Do 100 pushups 100 situps 100 squats and 10 km of running every day.

Your punches will be crazy
>>
https://vid.me/cLTP
>>
>>37408066
>2. Explosivity.
>Partially genetic, in that how many fast twitch fibers you have, but it CAN be developed and improved, because precisely nobody is at their maximum explosive capacity without having trained. Force = mass * acceleration. More explosivity = more acceleration = more force delivered upon impact. To develop explosivity, first build a strength base, 1 year of strength training is plenty, then switch to shit like plyometric push ups, and ballistic work (throwing heavy shit, basically). Also nothing will develop punching speed better than practicing to punch faster. Same goes for kicks. Heavy bag work, or hitting the mitts with a legit coach is the way to go.
You can't train being explosive by much more than 10-20% it's literally genetics only even rippletits discusses this with Oly lifters and vertical jump improvement.
>>
>>37408101
>your core should be as strong as possible, because you punch by turning your body to the oposite direction of the hand you're punching with (you turn your body to the left while punching with the right hand)
Confirmed for shitty puncher. You do this by pivoting the hips, not twisting the core.

You are 100% doing it wrong.

Most important muscles for a power shot are:
Calves
Glutes
Quads
Serratus
Shoulder
Tricep.

You could argue for pectoral involvment on ground and pound punches, but you dont see that shit in straight boxing.

Either way, i would let you punch me at full power, if it meant i could return the favor.

We could do this repeatedly until you realize you cant punch
>hurr its all in the obliques, bro xD
>>
>>37408166
If you listen to that same video where he says you cant train the vertical jump, he says you CAN improve other explosive movements, like the box jump, for example.

You cannot train the vertical leap, but you CAN train explosivity a LOOOOOT

also strength training reduces explosivity (e.g. When you bench, your biceps acts as "brakes" slowing down the triceps, but also giving a more stable base to push off of, allowing you to bench more weight) and training explosivity reverses that process (e.g. Teaches the bicep to remain unengaged while the tricep explodes)mwhile allowing you to retain your strength gains

That is the primary reason i recommend explosive training for those interested in mma who have already done strength training
>>
>>37407679
Not true because you put your bodyweight into the punch. Even as an auschwitz 140lb, thats a lot of force to take to the jaw.

Granted most people just swing their arms
>>
>>37408225
It should also be noted that pretty much every amazing mma fighter does not only oly work, but plyometric and ballistic work as well.

And every trainer from greg jackson to firas zahabi pretty much agree with what i have said as the consensus.
>>
>>37408253
Firas is my nigga.

Having long limbs also helps punching power.
>>
>>37408253
You're wrong in this one. Unless by amazing you mean only the top 1 or 2 in the world them yes. But plenty of top 10 fighters who would destroy any man in the world go by without plyometrics and such
>>
>>37408305
Which is why they aren't #1 nigga. Of course they'd destroy most men in the world, they're trained fighters.
>>
>>37408288
That depends though. Where are all these KOs from Jones, GSP, and many other lanky guys in the UFC?

I agree long limbs can generate more acceleration, but because these mentioned fighters don't throw straights with even remotely decent technique, they don't achieve much or any KOs
>>
>>37408305
Please name me a top ranked ufc player who didnt do explosivity training...

Everyone from jonny bones to demetrious to diaz bros... Fucking everyone
>>
>>37408225
Bullshit. Getting stronger is one of the few ways to INCREASE explosive display. Which is what rippletits is actually saying in that video as everywhere else he speaks about the subject.
>>
>>37408345
Gsp had his fair shar of KOs just not from his hands, but you are right.

Lanky proportions are undoubtedly an advantage, though. Both in ground game and stand up
>>
>>37408365
Correct. An increase in strength does increase power.

He still says explosive movements like box jump can be trained and improved.

You are legit retarded if you think increasing squat weight by 10lb will give you a higher box jump

You want strength? Train strength.
You want explosivity? Train explosivity
You want endurance? Train endurance.

It literally is that simple
>>
>>37408332
Of course, but I'm trying to say that for the average joe, for fighting purposes, he doesn't need to do all these crazy (but effective) workouts to be a good fighter.

If top 10, hell even top 100, out of 6.8 billion people in the world fighters can be good enough fighters without specific excercises, they're really not that necessary for fighting unless you're trying to be the number 1 in the world.

Let's not forget that fighting in itself is plyometric, when you're wrestling or sparring.
>>
Fellow boxer here...I go and practice my technique infront of mirror with weights (5kg and up)...and for speed...(1-3kg) as fast as possible
>>
>>37408349
You named him. Diaz
>>
>>37408169
what does "pivoting the hips" exactly mean?
>>
>>37408394
>sure these exercises work, but they arent a necessity so dont do them
Sure squats work, and they make you stronger, but if the average joe can get by without these crazy but effective exercises, why cant you?

You literally sound that dumb.

If you want more explosivity, and have access to effective exercises for training explosivity.... Why avoid them?

If you would rather build more strength, yeah, stick to strength training.

But... Come on
>>
>>37408349
Well they spar and punch the bag full speed and full force and do explosive movements while grappling/wrestling, so they do plyometrics in a way, but not standardized specific plyometric workouts.
>>
>>37408401
>diaz didnt do plyometric and explosivity work.
Wrong.
Why would you make someting like this up?
Just because he no longer trains like he used to and pretty much only does cardio and sparring?

He still does plyo work in his fight camps btw
>>
>>37408418
You're the one that sounds that dumb. I'm talking about PURELY fighting. I even stated so. I do plyos myself because I like them. I'm just telling people who want to get into fighting that there's better things to focus on, than explosivity work outs, when it comes to fighting.
>>
>>37408389
You're an idiot. Strength is a neutral adaptation, and increasing it increases every aspect of physical performance.

If your squat goes up ten pounds, you've increased your capacity to produce force by ten pounds. It doesn't fucking matter how you're applying it. Or do you honestly think your body goes 'nah m8 I'm not gonna output any more force as I can tell you don't have a heavy ass bar on your shoulders and that's literally all I can exert force against?'
>>
Well the "averidge joe" will never have propper punching power...everything in this world has a price...and the price is effort,hard work,blood,sweat and tears...going to the gym and giving it your all
>>
>>37407736
double the mass behind the punch and you get twice the power.
double the speed of the punch and you fet four times the power
>>
>>37407614
punch with more than your arm. create a chain through your body all the way to the floor. aim behind the target.
>>
>>37408434
I mean I think I would know what Diaz does since I see him every other two days at the Gym in Lodi and even went to LA with him once to the yard when he was training for the GSP fight.

Not from Stockton through I'm from Lodi.

I would be lying if I say he never ever did plyos, but at best I'd see him try it out for a minute then leave it alone and go back to something he was more comfortable with.
>>
>>37408438
I am literally parroting the advice of greg jackson and firas zahabi.

First build strength, then focus on speed and explosivity.

But i guess you know more about training fighters than greg jackson or firas zahabi.......l
>>
It's physics. F=ma.

The faster your first is moving when it hits the other person and the more mass you have behind it the harder it will hit.

Get better:
1. Technique
2. Bench
3. All around body work

Grats now you too can go to jail for killing some guy who looked at you wrong, you dirty fucking nigger.
>>
Well if you want to be a lazy mother fucker and cut corners...get 14oz boxing glover or higher and exercise your punches with that
>>
>>37408443
I see idiots knock each other out in street fights all the time and if you're not careful one dumb haymaker on your chin from them can put you out.

Which is why even though I do mma I would never engage in a one vs one street fight. I'm an anti-social edgy fuck with no friends. If I got knocked out in a street fight no one would be there to help me.

And even though the chances of that are lower with my training and amateur fights, I'm not going to take any chance, and I'd shoot anyone attacking me with my ccw
>>
>>37407614
You're a fucking idiot. It's all technique.
>>
1000 Mike Tysons
vs
Vid related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLLVgje1I4U
Who would win?
>>
>>37407614

Its all technique, but you can assist that technique by training your muscles that line the kinetic chain to properly carry force.
Core, legs, back strength and flexibility. You would get more out of sprinting than you would lifting weights for it
>>
>>37408476
I'm not disagreeing with that part. I agree with what you said, I'm just further putting input that plyometrics are not as necessary for fighting for the average joe not looking to compete in the big leagues.

>what is reading comprehension
>>
>>37408517
The trillion lions
>>
>>37408529
I never said they were necessary for the average joe.

I said the argument that just because it is unnecessary means you shouldnt do it is retarded.

Plyo is good for anyone looking to be more explosive, without being stronger. Even if that is not the average joe

Endof.
>>
>>37408579
My money is on the sun made of lava melting the sun made of ice
>>
>>37408441
kek, you are retarded

moving 405lbs doesn't mean you can move them fast. if that were the case, powerlifter/string man would be oly champions too
>>
>>37407651
This.

Learn stance for hooks, uppercuts and straight punches and you're going to win more fights than most people

>>37407673
Squats, deadlifts, rows, plenty of cardio
>>
>>37408707
Your explosive power is a percentage of your total ability to produce force, dipshit.

If you have one guy who can explode with 40% of his maximum force output and deadlifts 400 pounds, and a guy who can explode with 60% who deadlifts 200, the 400 pound deadlifter will still have more power than him. The second guy has more POTENTIAL, yes, but the first will still outclean him every time.

Power is force times distance over time.

You can only alter one of those variables in pretty much any situation that counts.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.