[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on Sumo Deadlift? I'm 6'3" with an ectomophic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: 19.jpg (136 KB, 738x415) Image search: [Google]
19.jpg
136 KB, 738x415
Opinions on Sumo Deadlift?

I'm 6'3" with an ectomophic body type and conventional Deadlifts are extremely hard for me to maintain proper form. I can pull off Sumo Deadlifts no problem because my center of gravity is more in center with the bar and doesn't pull me out of proper form.

Am I losing out on gains sticking to Sumos for now?
>>
>>37400902
meme lift for pussies who compete in the IPF because it's easier to lift more weight than a conventional deadlift.
>>
>lifts sumo
>isn't even jonokuchi
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>37400920

Trust me I've been doing conventional Deadlifts for the past 6 months and my form still suffers because of my extremely long torso. At this point I'm convinced it's more of a structural problem then simply being a pussy.

Sumos just work for me and doesn't destroy my lower back like conventionals do.

I might have to accept that conventionals are always going to be my weak spot but we'll see in a few more months when my core gets stronger.
>>
Why do them when you can do light, high rep, RDLs?
>>
>>37400920
This. Sumo is just a way to reduce ROM for competition. Figuratively cheating.
>>
>>37400902
I'm taller than you and am much stronger conventional. In fact most people taller than like 5'11 are at a strength advantage pulling conventional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VZOlFo0Q1U

KK is kind of an extreme example and has god tier thoracic rounding technique, but he's not the only one.
>>
>>37401026
Your lats probably suck, your upper back collapses too much and your motor pattern suffers to correct the bar path.
>>37401109
Not really accurate, you aren't necessarily stronger sumo, and as you get more advanced you should train both, sumo is really great for external rotation
>>
If sumos and more comfortable for you and you just can't do traditionals then do sumos.

The muscle activation is about the same for both.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 356x200
>>37400920
>>37401090
>>37401109
>>37401119
You dumb anon

Pls shut up
>>
>>37400939
Underrated kek
>>
>>37401149
Literally anyone that's a strong deadlifter and not a twink manlet pulls conventional Aaron, I know you switched like a pussy but it's a fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUjHKUE-PSI

Beautiful raw deadlift by natty, injured old man
>>
>>37401149
You're like 6'1, right?
If you don't compete in PL, there's no reason to do sumo dl (or regular dl) if you're a tall guy with deep hipsockets and short arms. Back injuries arn't worth it.
>>
>>37401134

That's what I think as well. My back just needs to get stronger. I'm not going to give up on conventional, just need to retool my workouts and fix my weakspots.

>>37401138

Sumos just feel awesome to me.
>>
>>37401196
Layne Norton
Krzysztof Wierzbicki
Bryce Lewis
Ian Bell

Just what came to mind.

>>37401219
6'4" and my argument is that training one instead of the other won't have an appreciable effect on your physique or well rounded body. Just like high and low bar
>>
>>37401562
>that list
>that reading comprehension

See;
>>37401196
>Literally anyone that's a strong deadlifter and not a twink manlet
>>
>>37400902

Sumo deadlifts are = to conventional deadlift, its just preference. retards on here like to say that its easier but it isnt.
>>
>>37401578
Lmao I'm gonna kill you

What about whatshisname that is one of the Russian guys, 125kg, squats 1000 for a double in wraps? Starts with a k?
Is that zahir?
>>
>>37400902
A lot of pressure near the knees
>>
If you're just training for strength or physique, there's not a single reason you'd choose the sumo deadlift over a conventional one. The conventional works the posterior chain much more effectively. Weighing any kind of marginal muscle difference is irrelevant since sumo only exists to exploit the rules of powerlifting. If you are a powerlifter and want to shorten your range of motion as much as possible, knock yourself out. But even the strongest sumo pullers train their conventional deadlift as much, if not more often.
>>
>>37401601
Koklyaev? He pulls conventional too.

Zahir is an exception if anything.
>>
>>37401655
I was struggling remembering his last name. Pozdeev, baelyev are people too
>>
>>37401668
Even then, the absolute strongest deadlifters in the world still pull conventional, even if we stray into strongman land.

Training both is obviously the best though, just not for noobs like OP.
>>
Whatever feels better man. I've pulled 4pl8 both conventional and sumo. Sumo is a more difficult form to learn, but if you're sore in your lower back constantly you might consider switching.
>>
>>37401698
Only people that weren't shw or 125 to break into 900+lbs pull sumo. It's not feasible for me to weigh 140kg
>>
>>37401640
>If you're just training for strength or physique, there's not a single reason you'd choose the sumo deadlift over a conventional one
My ankle fractured and healed funny, and now loaded dorsiflexion causes intense pain.
I've actually found a way to conventional without irritating it (very narrow stance, knees shoved directly out instead of forward) but for a while, sumo was all I could do if I didn't want to cuck myself mid-workout.
>>
>>37401719
Why not? I'm your height and I'm literally twink mode if I'm under 120kg.

And even then, there's people like KK who are only at like 130kg.

Also here's a good norwegian lifter, ~110kg, much stronger conventional than sumo (note that this is equipped, but still)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVp7isuYSdw
>>
File: ssb_deadlift.png (552 KB, 1080x496) Image search: [Google]
ssb_deadlift.png
552 KB, 1080x496
>>37401773
I'm not willing to go on 1g+ of gear to get to that size for the foreseeable future. You're also three times the lifter that I am, as I get better I will be open to using conventional as my comp style, I train both like we're both proponents of, so it's not like I don't know what I'm capable of conventional
>>
>>37400902
In my opinion OP (and in general), the more you challenge yourself the more you get out of your exercise. Challenging yourself equivalently using one technique or another is therefore just as useful though the weight needed for that challenge may differ.

Also, shitty form can be dangerous and is stupid. So unless you're in some moronic pissing contest over weight-lifted-with-a-particular-technique you should just stick with whatever is safest.
>>
>>37401801
You don't need gear to get to that size lad, just lots of meat and time.

But of course, you pull how you feel the best, I'm not gonna knock that. It just seems like, in my experience that the very strongest pullers do indeed pull conventional.
>>
>>37401934
>time
Definitely. Just punching the clock. I'll make adjustments when they're due. I love pulling conventional so I'll be pulling that as often as I can. When it feels good it feels so good
>>
>>37402027
I do mean lots of time though, sad to see so many of the lads over at the thread obsessing about hitting their peak NOW when they're still really just beginners.

One of my favorite things about the culture here in Norway is that when you start out, your peers make it very clear that things take time, one plans it out so one is strongest after 5 years, maybe even a decade of training, and that whatever happens in your first couple of years is really quite irrelevant. Very much big picture thinking.
>>
>>37402083
Yeah I'm totally on board with that. Big picture. Actually big picture. Phil and Marcel both had very slow gains for their first few years lifting, then carried on and made great gains later on simply because they stuck with it
>>
>>37402097
Really good to have, otherwise you end up with situations like Isley, Joe or as a more extreme example Zyzz even though he wasn't an athlete.
>>
>>37402119
>end up with situations like Isley
what do you mean?
>>
>>37402142
Put all his eggs in one basket, completely screwed up his training, started regressing, got injured etc. etc.
>>
cheating, nigguh. you know this.
>>
>>37402151
damn never heard about that before that really sucks
>>
>>37400902
>ectomophic body type

Myth.

> and conventional Deadlifts are extremely hard for me to maintain proper form.

Because you're weak. Lower weight, work on form.

> I can pull off Sumo Deadlifts

Because you're weak. Everyone is stronger at Sumo.
>>
>>37402173
He was chasing medals, all he cared about was winning medals as a junior, adding time constraints. He's spent years in IMO too low of a weight class because of this, and trained in a stupid manner, like bumping his training maxes up to RPE10 and tearing a pec if I remember correctly.
>>
>>37402185
>Everyone is stronger at Sumo.
I'm not :^)

Can't externally rotate for shit 2bh
>>
>>37402190
>but it didn't hurt after
>>
>>37400902
the last time i tried sumo DL i dislocated my tailbone and was in constant asspain for 3 weeks

im not even joking
>>
>>37402190
wow ill make sure to keep that in mind when training
luckily I don't see myself competing except in local oly meets for fun
>>
>>37402185

If everyone was stronger at sumo, you'd expect all the powerlifting records to be set using that, right?

Outside of geared lifting, which is a whole different ball game, most deadlift records are conventional pulls. As is, Ed Coan excepted, pretty much every 900+ deadlift ever.
>>
>>37400902
Conv. deadlifts>Sumo deadlifts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>not doing deadlifts. So do the one that will let you keep doing deadlifts for years and years to come.
>>
File: 1440456475130.jpg (8 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1440456475130.jpg
8 KB, 184x184
>>37400920
>>37401109
Ripp, pls go
>>
I'm 6'4'' lifting since 3 years and never did sumo. Maybe your arms are just short op?
>>
FUCK THIS STUPID THREAD
http://strengtheory.com/should-you-deadlift-conventional-or-sumo/
Your hip structure will impact your strength and comfort in the conventional and sumo deadlift much more than factors like height and limb lengths.
There are no factors that make either the conventional or the sumo deadlift inherently easier or harder. It’s more a matter of individual strengths and weaknesses.
Hip extension demands are nearly identical between the conventional and sumo deadlifts. Conventional pulls are a little easier on your quads, and sumo pulls are a little easier on your back.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.