[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I have had some shoulder issues and I believe it a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: deaddd.png (242 KB, 271x427) Image search: [Google]
deaddd.png
242 KB, 271x427
Hey guys, I have had some shoulder issues and I believe it all has stemmed from bad posture. So I decided I would work on my deadlift form again. I have been doing corrective deadlifts and I think I have finally started to get them down. I am trying to keep a complete neutral spine and it is tough to do but im proud of my progress. Here is today's video, just hit 95lbs.

Let me know what you think. Thanks much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWnVbCGlyhE&feature=youtu.be
>>
The movement and posture look good, but are "corrective deadlifts" some kind of variant I've never heard of? Why on earth do you start with the bar from the top?
>>
>>37383644
The reasoning is so I can que myself to have great posture from the Top, like chest up shoulders down and back and all of that and start into the movement. It wont permantely be like this, but since I am not at a plate yet I figured I would continue this way. Another reason is because the 25's are so small that its further into the ground, and its just more convenient to get it from a rack and then go into the movement, but they arent rack pulls because its just how i grab it out of the rack. Also thank you for the advice
>>
>>37383993
Better get used to pulling them from the floor anyway. If the plates are too small you can put a couple of plates under them to bring the bar up. Is what I used to do.

Also might not wanna pull these for reps of 10 once you get the form right (and it looks right enough). You could probably pull 1 plate easily for 5 reps or more. Trust me, I started off doing every compound for 10-rep sets (muh hypertrophy!) and later realized how much friggin' time I had been wasting. I started reaaaal low on the deads because I was afraid of messing up my form and back and did 10-rep sets. Then at some point I thought "how about I pull a single 225 lbs to see if I can" and sure enough, it was no problem. At that point I realized I had been fucking around and didn't know what an actual heavy deadlift really felt like. Could've been pulling way more by then.
>>
>>37384193
Yeah I totally understand that, and alright ill see what I can do. I started at 65 last week and now im at 95 so we're getting there. I was wonder, can i do these like 4 days a week? I am trying to really just work on my back to strenghten my upper back. Im not really worrying about anything else until my posture is where I want it to be. I just dont know how much I can actually train like this till my gains stop coming, assuming I make any lol
>>
>>37383227
Lel manlet
>>
>>37384256
Appreciate the input
>>
>>37383227
That seems like horrible form to lower the bar. You should be setting it down the same way that you lift. You seem to be lifting with your legs, then stopping, then lifting with your back. I should be one fluid pull.
>>
>>37384226
4 times a week would be way too much. If you start pulling heavier I'd say 2 would be more than enough, and lots of programs will only have you deadlifting once per week. If your concern is posture you might also wanna do some other stuff that helps, like rows and face pulls. Stronger posterior delts will help.
>>
>>37384301
First part of the pull is a knee extension while the back stays at the same angle, then when the bar clears the knees you complete with a hip extension. He seems okay on the up movement, but it is indeed too exaggerated when moving the bar back down. Maybe cause he's still getting to grips with the exercise? When you're not used to it yet it's easy to exaggerate some parts of it trying to get a feel for what should happen. Should start getting more natural as the weight gets heavier cause you sure as hell won't have room for non-essential motions then.
>>
>>37384348
AH so you think its just because the weight is light and im focusing on form? When you say exagerated you mean like kind of slowish? Because yeah im taking it slow. Maybe im dipping a bit to low? My butt I mean
>>37384301
I thought I was doing it all fluidly together. Because im keeping my upper back tight and a neutral spine it all should be working as 1 movement
>>
>>37384303
What is the rationale behind deadlifting less times per week than other exercises? And why would you go for fewer heavier sets on deadlift specifically?
>>
You don't fix shoulder issues and bad posture from doing "corrective deadlifts".

1. Make sure your upper body movements are balanced in both volume and plane of motion. e.g. a form of bench, a form of row, a form of pull up, a form of overhead press

2. Do mobility work (there is really no way around this, and if you continue to lift without doing it, your posture will just get worse)

Now, can you perform the basic 4 upper body movements without pain? If so, the above advice will be good enough.
>>
1. Why is your starting point at the hips?
2. The starting point is when the bar is on the floor.
3. You are using small 25 pound plates. The bar needs to be at your shins. Either increase the weight by putting 45 lbs plates on each side or place the bar with 25 pound plates on a platform so that the bar is positioned on your shins.
>>
Stetch hip flexors, hamstrings, chest
Strengthen abs, glutes
Always sit and stand with good posture

Simply doing that will do will improve your posture by leaps and bounds
>>
>>37384631
Because doing deadlifts while not fully recovered is asking for snap city
>>
>>37384557
You're not taking it slow or anything, the thing is that you don't push your hips back enough for the bar to lower down without touching your knees.

Just follow the path of the bar, you'll notice that there are 2 points at which you curve the path, once towards you and once against you.
>>
>>37384692
Elliot hulse disagrees.

Deadlifts with good posture facilitates structural integrity.
>>
>>37384692
Well I have knee issues and shoulder issues. Doc said no pressing, nothing overhead, and squatting hurts. So thats why I just deadlift ;p;
>>
hmm
>>
>>37383644
FUck you
>>
File: deadlift-shoulders[1].jpg (123 KB, 1024x398) Image search: [Google]
deadlift-shoulders[1].jpg
123 KB, 1024x398
this is the first picture I found that shows what you're doing wrong. Notice how your shoulders are directly on top of the bar, they shouldn't (although the picture's "right" is slightly exaggerated too). This causes the bar to be relatively far from your shins, which in turn will make your lower back have to work more as you straighten out. The bar shoul be almost touching your shins, and it's not rare that it actually does. I recommend deadlifting always in long pants or kneesocks (no homo) to avoid bruises and what not on your shins

I'd also recommend getting bigger bumpers or putting the bar on a platform since you start way too low thanks to the small plates
>>
I had issues with back pain and found mobility training and yoga more beneficial than lifting alone.
>>
>>37386777
God damnit why cant I get this fucking shit. So basically this means I am going too low? Maybe that is because of the light weight. Could that be the case? Looks like my butt should be up more looking at that pic
>>
>>37386777
I do it like the first pic too, what kind of problems arise from that? Or is that just a position where you can never pull any good weight because its incorrect?
>>
File: hh.png (372 KB, 398x407) Image search: [Google]
hh.png
372 KB, 398x407
>>37386777
Elliot hulse's shoulders are over the bar. Are you claiming that picture knows more than him?
>>
>>37386924
your hips are too low, yes. Having the bar be higher will help this, having your shoulders be slightly ahead of the bar will help too. Right now you kind of squat at the start of the deadlift which isn't how it's supposed to go

Take a deep breath to your stomach (so that your lower back doesn't arch because the air is in your chest; same as squatting. Neutral spine) to help your core tighten, lift the slack off the bar to activate your lats, and start the lift by pushing the ground away from the bar as opposed to lifting the bar up. That's as well as I can describe it. It took me 2 months to get a single proper deadlift when I first started, everyone's deadlift looks different. What's important is understanding anatomy and what muscle groups should do what, and what supports which part of you. It's pretty natural feeling once you get it down

Also too low weight makes it harder to spot your errors because even if you strain your lower back too much, you won't necessarily notice it because the weight is so low. I'm not saying you should ramp it way up, but for example 1pl8 isn't enough to destroy any part of your body and really, as long as you don't have buttwink, deadlifting won't destroy anything either way no matter how wrong you do it. Slightly heavier weight makes it easier to get it down to a natural and proper form, at least it did for me
>>
>>37386981
Elliot Hulse also does it with an abnormally wide grip which I wouldn't recommend, and even though his shoulders are more on top of the bar than normally, he still has his hips WAY higher than in the picture which is the main problem. And like I said, the picture exaggerates the shoulder position to make it clear

Also as I said here >>37387072 everyone's deadlift will look slightly different because we all are different. When you give advice to a beginner you can only give general guidance
>>
>>37387114
>>37387114
>Elliot Hulse also does it with an abnormally wide grip which I wouldn't recommend

Dude what, it is right outside his fuckin shins lol that is super close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKYnXh9je7E&t=0m55s

proof
>>
>>37387072
> It took me 2 months to get a single proper deadlift
You dont wanna know how long it has taken me to only be here...
>>
>>37387177
That's not how HE deadlifts, that's how he teaches people to deadlift (because he too recognizes his grip is wider than normally but it works for him)

see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyf59-dPeXg
>>
>>37387204
Oh okay that makes sense. Comparing the two, OP just has his hips too low because the bar is too low. If he re-does them tomorrow with 135 we could probably judge them better.
>>
>>37387237
I could go back and try with that tomorrow, or maybe the 35's because those are bigger? What do you guys think. I want to work on my form and im weak but i can probably handle it. Is it bad that I wanna go back tomorrow to deadlift more? Will that affect my gains negatively in any way you think? Or perhaps beneficial? I was gonna go and do rows tomorrow anyway
>>
>>37387237
>>37387204
guys?
>>
>>37387389
bump
>>
>>37387389
whered u go
>>
>>37387918
where are u now that i need ya
>>
>>37387204
Where did you go man
>>
>>37386602
The hell are you talking about? Is it cause I said his form is okay? Sure, it's not perfect and has some issues, but do you honestly fucking believe anyone is gonna have "perfect" form before they start increasing the weight? It is good enough to start lifting heavier and he'll figure out the rest over time. Saying his form is shit right now is like demanding from a kid they know the whole dictionary before they're allowed to write a sentence.
>>
>>37389065
Dont give him hope when it is completely wrong.
>>
>>37389126
It is not "completely" wrong man, it's good enough as a start. No-one's gonna get it perfect at first AND keep it perfect when the weight starts going up. Motions take experience to hone and this is no exception. He's not making any mistakes big enough to say "stop deadlifting or you're gonna go snap", like arching his back like a cat.

Also, if you shouldn't give people "hope" according to you, get the fuck off this board.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.