[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things you wish you'd known earlier
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 27
File: 1427822758351.jpg (736 KB, 2048x1367) Image search: [Google]
1427822758351.jpg
736 KB, 2048x1367
Is there anything /fit/-related you wish someone would tell you about earlier?
>>
File: success-sketch.png (79 KB, 621x448) Image search: [Google]
success-sketch.png
79 KB, 621x448
>>37371053
Quoting myself from yesterday's thread (and adding a few more I'm just coming up with now).

These are the things I'd say to my 17 year old self who was just getting started on the fitness journey:

1, Most supplements are bullshit and just make your urine more expensive.
2. Every model in every ad for every product in every fitness magazine is on steroids; most have never even used the supplement they're selling.
3. You don't need 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. This is based on bro science and a con by the fitness industry dating back to the 60s.
4. Eat more carbs, you autistic dyel. Especially clean carbs like oatmeal, yams, etc.
5. The bro split of one body part per day 5 days a week will produce results but you're better off just doing full body workouts and alternating ABA, BAB, week by week.
6. Natties need to train HEAVY. Fuck your getting-a-pump rep range.
7. The six small meals meme is based on a misunderstanding of the thermogenic effect of food, most notably protein.
8. Although I've never trained solely for girls--or guys, for that matter--there are times when female attention is wanted and appreciated. With this in mind, it's advisable to hover around 12% bodyfat for maximal facial aesthetics. Studies have shown this is ideal for most men. It's also optimal for hormonal regulation in men.

http://www.businessinsider.com/body-fat-linked-to-male-attractiveness-and-immune-system-2012-11

9. People generally look nothing like they do in their magazine photos, or even the photos they upload to Instagram. Guys who take tons of pics of themselves and their physique are like girls who have dedicated their lives to being hot and taking selfies--they angle shamelessly, take 20 shots and use only the best one and then photoshop everything to the point where it's effectively no longer them in the pic. Don't compare yourself to them, ever.
10. Things don't happen overnight and a lot of times it looks nothing like you thought it would. Pic related.
>>
Stop overthinking your routine, your problem is that you're inconsistent. Just lift 3x/week and stop making excuses.

Eat well, drink protein shakes.
>>
>>37371053
Weight loss is 70% diet.
Also no soda and no juice.
I could have been a Stacy in high school of I had gotten my shit together food-wise
>>
>>37371174
Can you explain the fifth point in more detail?
I've been doing that pretty much.
>>
>>37371053
Eat big to get big.
>>
>>37371053
Eat more food. Drink less alcohol.
>>
Get good with bodyweight exercises.
Stretch more
>>
>>37371053

Quit drinking.

Seriously.

It's a depressant, it makes you fat, it costs a shit load of money and it will fuck up your routine.
No one is going to judge you, If you're out at a pub, have a diet soda, nobody is going to give a shit.
>>
>>37371203

>Visually disproportional muscles
>Postural deformity from improper functional development.

What i would suggest is to always hit your compounds and add in your bro exercises.
>>
>>37371053

Learn to count calories. I think I used "my fitness pal" for about two months before I really had an understanding of how many calories I was getting per day.
>>
>>37371203
Splits focus on certain muscles. These are associated with isolation exercises. Chest day. Arms day. Leg day. Back day. Thing about it is that while you might be making gains, you're better off developing a strength base with compound routines like SS or SL.
Once you plateau with the compound routine, then you will be in a better position to justify doing Splits.
Curling 60 lbs on arm day after developing a solid strength base with SS/SL is better than Curling 20 lbs on arm day on your 1st month of training.
>>
>>37371053
The assholes in high school that went to the gym and couldn't stop touching their own pecs and biceps are the reason I thought gyms were for assholes with no mobility or actual power
I haven't even touched a weight before I was twenty three.
>I thought push ups would make me stronger even in the 60+ range
>>
>>37371187
>Also no soda and no juice.
God damn this is hard for me.
>>
i wish i had eaten more when i was 10-18.
it probably stunted my growth.
>>
>>37373341
Give it up for 2 weeks and you won't even miss it.
>>
>>37371053
Wish I knew how gyno worked when I was stuffing nothing but large extra cheese pizzas in my fucking face when i was 13
>>
To my teenage self
>STOP FUCKING DRINKING SODA
>>
>>37371174

You know, I'm glad people like you exist.
>>
Never tell your true feelings to a woman.
>>
>>37371053

To my 15 year old self:

Awww, you're in the friendzone again? Gee, you ever stop to think it's because you're fucking fat and ugly? Jesus. Ugly can be mitigated by personality. There's nothing that mitigates fat except money and you don't have any. So quit whining and get the fuck off your ass and do something about it now instead of 10 years from now and wonder why women who never gave you the time of day suddenly find you irresistible.

And and fuck feelings. You don't need them. They don't deserve it and neither do you.
>>
>>37371174
thank you for the advice
>>
>>37371174
Jesus thanx brah.
>>
>>37373866

Too fucking true mate. Too fucking true.
>>
>>37373895
we need actual advice not whiny dear diary fg8ry no offence
>>
>>37374034

Deepthroat the barrel of a shotgun and squeeze the trigger mkay? Point was to start earlier you faggot.
>>
File: wiki_how_to_die.png (77 KB, 595x385) Image search: [Google]
wiki_how_to_die.png
77 KB, 595x385
>>37373866
>>
>>37374213
>start earlier you faggot
much better
>>
Don't fucking listen to fitizens e-stats and dont compare yourself to them

You're a skeleton and you will snap up your knees and now apparently shoulders too.

Fuck you young me dont cave in your knees on those front squats
>>
I just wished I had fucking started sooner
If you recently started browsing /fit/ and have yet to start going to the gym start going now.
>>
Squeeze your chest on DL
>>
File: doom.jpg (172 KB, 900x681) Image search: [Google]
doom.jpg
172 KB, 900x681
She likes you back you fucking aspie ass faggot. Ask her out or you'll be a sad cunt for a while.

But on a serious note..
getting big does take time and you're really not eating as much as you think you are.
>>
Just do steroids
>>
Lifting is fucking EASY

Gains are all about DIET
focus on the food brrrooooo
>>
diet and proper sleep is 70-80% of your results..

took me years to finally realise this and eat/rest accordingly
>>
ITS NOT ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU CAN LIFT ITS ABOUT FORM AND MUSCLE ACTIVATION
>>
>>37371053
When it comes to workouts it isn't about getting the weight or your body from point A to points B. Pay attention to which muscles are doing the most of the work, and make sure it's the ones that are supposed to be doing it.

I know this one is kind of opposite of what I said, but if you ever need a little more of a boost on some exercises like a pullup, just clench your butt cheeks and keep the part of your body not working as stiff as a board.
>>
>>37374900
this
>>
what works for you works for you
>>
>>37374895
>that filename
ALL CAPS when you spell the man name
>>
I should have activated my almonds earlier
>>
>>37371174
how much protein would be ideal then?
>>
>>37373341
Protip for getting over soda/juice addiction: sweat, alot. Work out in the sun until you over heat. Have cold water available. I tell you nothing will give you a taste for cold water like a hot summer day
Water "flavoring" like milo can help the transition
>>
>>37371567
mfw my favorite drink is wine
>>
>>37376022
Probably around .8g per lb of lean body mass, if you want to be safe (or you are cutting) then just do .8g per lb of total body mass.
>>
>>37376327
I used to drink quite a bit of soda and juice. Not as much as some people, it was like 1-2 glasses of soda/juice a day, but still a bad amount. Stopped cold turkey, still have juice once or twice a month but have only had soda once in the last year just because the water at the restaurant tasted like shit.

Man, water tastes so much better if you don't drink sugary drinks. Feels good.
>>
>>37371053
You have to eat a meal early in the morning to "start your metabolism" is a myth
>>
>>37374937
Lifting heavy guarantees better muscle activation.

Being autistic about form will just result in you spinning your wheels for ages as a beginner.
>>
>>37371174
Thanks for sharing, friend
>>
>>37371174
Should be stickied mate
>>
>>37371053
Keep throwing yourself at life till it kills you.

Grinding for experience in a video game is the same as doing it in real life. It's just real life actually takes effort and a lot of trial and error.

Adapt or die. If you keep doing the same thing over and over out of routine you will stagnant.

Never stop learning. Never stop challenging.

Your body is your own personal slave. The only drawback is that you have bound your soul to it so you feel all its pain and suffering. Learn to enjoy the progression as much as the destination.

If you see a vision of what you want to be ask yourself how you are going to get there and when. If it sounds like too much effort then make small victories and adjustments to your strategy if you fail. Perfect practice makes perfect.

If you are unwilling to commit for the sake of commitment then how can you even commit for the sake of yourself? Never break a promise to yourself or you will lose faith in the only person you can really trust.

Don't expect anyone to do anything for you. You are your own autonomous being and so is everyone else. Be the person that everyone calls on. It's a lot of responsibility but it's not going to kill you unless you never take time for yourself.

Everything is within. Seek nothing outside yourself.
>>
>>37373341
If you crave sweetness in your drink then put some lemon in ice cold water.
>>
File: beginner strength info.jpg (578 KB, 1884x1580) Image search: [Google]
beginner strength info.jpg
578 KB, 1884x1580
Slow, steady progress is actually twice as fast as trying to do too much weight and stalling for a month.
>>
Your form is probably wrong. Don't assume it isn't, take the time to check.
>>
File: 1422063678899.png (852 B, 169x181) Image search: [Google]
1422063678899.png
852 B, 169x181
Stop fucking around the gym with that pathetic exercise schedule the PT gave you and get on an actual program from /fit/

You will get to show actual results instead of wasting money on the gym when all you're doing is the weights equivalent of cardio.
>>
At my height, do not expect things to come to you as easily as it comes to others.
>>
that progress, gains, the absolute core to all of this horseshit that routines and bullcrap meme programs are built on. is that you want to lift heaviest weight, over the longest range of motion, for the most amount of volume you can manage in your current condition.

I can't stress this enough. If you reorientate your perspective to this, thinking, hmm, do I want to follow the advice of a power lifter and memebench? If you want to look like a fat fuck who thinks he's god's gift for benching 200kg 1 inch from his chest, go for it. You will realise why compounds are key, and that practicality is probably the most important factor in getting strong and swole.
>>
>>37375888
kek
>>
taking progress picures is not bad, because simply tracking weight is not enough. its not an ego thing, its actually a good idea
bulk when you start, and get a strength foundation.
routine, sleep, and a caloric surplus is way more important than the training
>>
Let's see.

1. Stop drinking all sugary beverages. (This is actually something I want to scream at my parents and grandparents about. They would put soda and juice in my baby bottles)
2. Start getting a taste for broccoli, spinach and avocados
3. Cut back on the bread pham. (This one might be impossible, bread is better than sex to me)
4. Instead of watching anime and playing gay videogames, do research on the internet instead. (I could have gotten out of so many situations if I learned about this at 15/16 instead of 22/23)
>>
>>37371174
can't see any bait here, good post
>>
You cannot complain about wide hips or bad muscle insertions,bad genetics etc until you've seen yourself lean with decent amount of muscle.
>>
Somewhat relevant to this thread. I've been doing intermittent fasting for a couple of weeks now. It's so much easier to just skip breakfast and eat big on midday and a little bit at evening. Should I keep going or did I fall for a meme?
>>
>>37380250
Intermittent fasting is something people do when their food cravings are too much to bear with when cutting.

If you have no difficulties eating your proper amount of daily calories there is no reason to do IF.
>>
Use a foam roller

Run. It is an essential part of being /fit/

Don't neglect your core

Include body weight exercises

If for some reason you are feeling weak at the gym... deload and bang out higher rep sets

don't wait until 25 to start lifting.
>>
>>37371174
Thanks
>>
Choose a routine and stick to it. Look at things long term and just because you have a bad day/ week doesn't mean you have to start over again from scratch
>>
>>37380266
this. Well more so, forcing myself to not eat in a window of more than 5 hours. Then I found out I was doing a form of IF from a thread. So it's easy I wake up at 9, eat at 10, no food or a snack at 2, final meal by 5 or 6pm. Go to bed at 11-12. I'm out of work at the moment. I work at night so when I go back it'll be 2pm -> 9pm meals, work then sleep, repeat.

On Dave Asprey's podcast, who I am very aware a lot of people do not like him. He and his guest, Barry Sears(zone diet) talked about poor hormone imbalances, with a symptom of eating too frequently. Basically, if you can eat and not feel hungry after 4-5 hours, it means you are most likely eating right and your body is responding to food correctly.

I tried it, figured I'd do 3 meals, but feel I wouldn't get enough calories, so I ate MORE in a single meal. after 3 days, realized I was full by the second meal, "why do I need 3rd?" wake up "wow still not hungry..." Find out I didn't consume more than 1600. Been doing it for a month now.
>>
>>37380250

you just said it works for you. if it is working why are you even asking if its a meme?

It's just a really really easy way to get your calories in and cut. I'm currently doing it.
>>
>>37380286
Actually really great advice, anon, well done
>>
>>37380286
I'm actually about to start lifting. Turned 25 in March. Not trying to get massive. I just want to get down to a healthy weight. Am I fucked? Or does that only apply to 25 year old beginners trying to get real big?
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 1050x654) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 1050x654
Fell for the cardio is bad meme.
>>
>>37380789
Nah, you're fine. I think what anon means is that it's always better to start doing something earlier rather than later, but it's never too late to lift unless you're in your 60s or something
>>
>>37371053
>Almost every one of your goal bodies isn't natty and you could get further in a year on gear than most natties will ever get before giving up
>use this to temper your goals at least your timeframe to reach them

>>37371174
the literature doesn't support 6 (natties need to lift heavy). Hypertrophy has an almost identical response to failure pretty much anywhere from 30% to 90% 1RM. The problem is people usually have a volitional failure before muscle failure with higher rep ranges, either due to mental fatigue or the burn

What natties DO need to do is fucking PUSH HARD. You need to learn to thrive in the pain and actually just goddamn push until your muscles literally can't any more .

FYI that's also what separates body builders on gear from amateurs on gear, and is why body builders can put on 3x as much LBM with the same cycle in the same timeframe
>>
>>37380286
Running with 110kg hurts my knees, especially downhill. I prefer swimming, or yoga.
>>
>>37381262
it doesn't matter what the literature supports, the results from lifting for a mixture of strength and hypertrophy (which is what most "for strength" lifters do anyway) and purely for hypertrophy is pretty insignificant as a natty anyway, this is clear by the fact that natural bodybuilders are a fucking joke and have the sort of physique /fit/ shits on daily.

agreed with pushing hard though, if you're never sweating and have the energy to chat with everyone in the weight room between sets then you're not going to be getting optimal gains.
>>
File: wrongsuspect.gif (2 MB, 216x162) Image search: [Google]
wrongsuspect.gif
2 MB, 216x162
>>37373356
>>37376327
>>37376465
>>37378427
Ok thanks guys it has been a struggle my whole life. Grew up poor and was raised on soda and shit. Fucking sucks.

I quit smoking, drugs, sleeping with sluts, driving fast and stupid, etc... but damn if I can't get the soda monkey off my fucking back.

I do drink about a gallon of water a day and sweat a lot so I just need willpower at this point.
>>
>>37380151
what do you mean by research?
>>
The best lifting routine and diet is the one you can stick to and enjoy. Consistency is everything.
>>
>>37381079
also this
>>
>>37371174
I've found scientific evidence that 1g of protein per pound of (lean) body mass is pretty accurate, maybe a bit less but not a lot.

What would you say it's a good number if you say 1g is too much? (and based on what?)

source: this video sums it up pretty much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-KBZ579Mao
>>
Be religious about form. Do everything possible to avoid injuries. Snapping your shit up and having to take month or even year long breaks from the gym can and does happen.

Do intermittent fasting. Makes cutting easier and improves nutrient partitioning.

"Strength base", "strength equals mass", are locker room half-truths. High volume, high frequency, low intensity is the way to go if you're training for hypertrophy.

Cut down to a respectable bodyfat (circa 10%) then bulk using IF. Repeat when you're at 14/15%

Nobody cares how much you lift. Nobody.
>>
>>37380151
like what we're doing now

reading about a subject of interest to learn more about it
>>
>>37381796
.8-1g of LEAN body mass is in the ballpark. People actually eat 1g/lb of fucking BODY WEIGHT, there's fatasses right now eating 250g of protein.
>>
>>37371174
Best post

And I'd like to add that having to go to failure always is a meme.

Recovery=\=Adaptation
>>
>>37381968
Yeah i thought it would be something like that from personal experience also, thanks man!
>>
File: 1443472506383.gif (498 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1443472506383.gif
498 KB, 500x281
To my 13-22 year old self -
>stop fapping, get rid of sluts and focus on yourself
>quit vidya, social media and mindless surfing
>sleep more

How fucking many wasted big career shots because I decided to fuck some slut instead of going to the practice or study instead of chopping some fucking TREES in runescape.

I was gonna go pro in basketball, but fucked it up. I could've become a lawyer, but xp was clearly more important.
>>
>>37371053
>>37371174
Best post, keep copy-pasting for future threads to help newbies, you would have saved me entire weeks if i had read your post when i started lifting instead of all the shitposting of this board.

and now to add a couple of mine:

>If you want to go to failure, do it only on your last set of the last exercise of any muscle group, if not you will just fuck up the entire workout.
>While you figure out the best diet/sleep hours for you, it's better to wait on the progression of the lifts and pay special attention to form rather than putting on weight to the bar while grinding reps badly. Don't be scared to stay on the same weight on a lift for 2 or 3 workouts in a row if you are not eating/sleeping correctly, GOOD FORM BRUH
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 384x384
Bulk before summer
>>
>>37377816
It's better than extended fasting. I have found a light and high protein meal before bed and after waking up works best.
>>
File: thingstoknowearly.png (64 KB, 1022x422) Image search: [Google]
thingstoknowearly.png
64 KB, 1022x422
>>37371174
>>
>>37371174
Good post except that
>6. Natties need to train HEAVY. Fuck your getting-a-pump rep range.
is bullshit, if hypertrophy is your goal
High volume, high frequency, low intensity. This is what physiologists recommend, and is how oly lifters train when they want to move up a weight class
>>
>>37377954
It's better to worry about form. You can get a more effective and healthier workout with lighter weights if your form is proper. Improper form can lead to injuries or muscle asymmetry.

Going slow with proper form is better than sloppily tossing around weights that are too much for you.
>>
>>37382152
well a 3 plate squat is low intensity for oly lifters no?
>>
>>37380789
Started at 28. Achieved best shape of my life 6 months later. Still long way to go
>>
>>37382152
Oly lifters are also not natty..
>>
>>37378399
Deep shit anon
>>
>>37380789
It's never too late to start anything.
What's that quote about don't not do something because of the time it will take to accomplish it because time will pass anyways... Or something like that
I'm 30 and just got serious about lifting in March. people are telling me I look great. I get down sometimes but several of my friends are telling me about to peak in life. It will take about 3 months for people to notice... Just force yourself to stick with it. It's all about consistency and then eventually seeping results will feed you even more motivation.
That being said I started with a split, noticed it was a waste of time and moved onto upper body, lower body, then cardio. 6 days a week. FOCUS ON COMPOUNDS. I also just started doing core EVERYDAY. And add weight when you can, can't stress that enough.
>>
>>37378399
When i think about how many hours ive thrown at videogames for a false sense of achievement, substituting whats easy for whats worthwhile, it fucking kills me
>>
>>37371053
you're probably not sleeping enough. 8 hours a night is the absolute minimum.
>>
>>37381796
This is your scientific evidence? A youtube video from a guy sponsored by MYPROTEIN?

I don't want to watch the video, so tell me if the evidence is a study he refers to
>>
>>37371567
Can't I have beer? Not much, just a couple every once in a while?

Maybe a shot of tequila once a year?
>>
>>37371053

/fit/ is a terrible place for advice, never use it to learn anything
>>
>>37371567

Yeah, no. I can't smoke anymore, so I'm damn well gonna keep drinking. Don't drink if you worry about aesthetics. But if you're just a lifting golem like me, keep drinking; it makes life live-able.
>>
>>37382949
>not knowing all the different ways alcohol fucks with your gains
enjoy being a weak piece of shit.
>>
>>37383020
I'm stronger than normal fags, and I'm too ugly to care about aesthetics. I'm not worried.
>>
>>37382822
No, you can have "a couple of beers" when you have something worth celebrating. and I mean really worth it, like having your first child or finishing your PHD.
Surviving another week is not enough,
>>
>>37382863
lol this
>>
1) Start lifting in highschool, you'll finish that initial growth spurt by sophomore year. This is a perfect time to start loving the iron.

2) Actually take your highschool studies seriously. You may think you're smart, and your teachers will think the same, but the honest-to-God truth is that you're an underachiever. Crack open those books, nurture an interest in learning, get good grades, and then get those scholarships. Also take those AP classes, bitch. Those credits transfer to university.

3) Get involved in college. Join some interest groups, look into ROTC, get off your ass and take a hike or something.

4) No matter how bad you may feel about yourself, you will still have a large sense of self esteem. Rejection from a girl isn't going to hurt you at all, so nut up and put yourself out there.
>>
>>37383387
Also

5) Don't follow those terrible fitness plans that you find in GQ and Men's Journal. These plans are terrible for gains, and these publications tend to follow the trendiest shit like crossfit.

6) Why the hell are you subscribing to GQ and Men's Journal in the first place? You're wasting your shekels, goyim.

7) Don't fuck your best friend's girlfriend. You'll lose a valuable friend.

8) Don't get involved with that shady company, look for work somewhere else.
>>
You won't get abs from squatting. Do planks and other ab isolation if you want defined abs. Low body fat will come naturally with mass. You can still have weak abs when you get there.
>>
File: 1413058177043.jpg (55 KB, 680x684) Image search: [Google]
1413058177043.jpg
55 KB, 680x684
Don't fall in love, the end result is no appetite, inability to sleep for months and overall massive loss of gains. Stick with school and lifting
>>
>>37381523
Watch documentarys, learn to code, just do something that isn't watching Mongolian cartoons
>>
>>37378399
> Never break a promise to yourself or you will lose faith in the only person you can really trust.

Dude, hit me right in the chest
>>
>>37371666
Check'em
Also, I googled some compound routines and apparently I have a good number of them incorporated in my exercises.
Good/bad?
>>
>>37373362
This

I was never amazingly fat, but most of my fat went to my tits. My tits poked out a good few inches over my belly. It sucked and I was bullied for years because of it. Like the fat fuck I was, I never thought I could do anything about it

I swear I wish I could go back in time and restart everything.
>>
>>37374317
this tbqh, apparently everyone here can bench 100 KG in their first week :^)
>>
>>37382152
Muscle growth is about progressive tension overload.

Low intensity doesn't activate the Type 2 fibers, which have the most potential for growth, until the end of the set.

A high volume, low intensity routine will pump the muscles up, but that isn't dry muscle tissue, it's metabolic training that increases the glycogen stores and mitochondria, etc.
>>
>>37371053
Me to Younger Me:

>You have asthma bro, not a 'smokers cough'
>Kebab is not healthy. Salad or not
>Don't Fuck Tressa. Why the fuck did you just bareback her anyway? WTF Man that was basically no condom rape.
>Seriously dont fuck her It will alienate you from the rest of the house
>Ryan is a pussy, you should have just knocked him out than try to reason with him.
>>
>>37382822
A few drinks every once in a while won't hurt. I drink most friday nights and I doesn't kill my progress. It probably slows it, but it doesn't stop it. I can notice the slightest amount of fat build if i binge and eat a bunch of junk with it, but I lose that fat again in less than 2 days.
>>
>>37380286
>Run. It is an essential part of being /fit/

Because of this, I am seconds away from running 3 miles. Thanks!
>>
>>37371174
agree 100%
>>
Natural lifting is a waste of time
>>
File: vSHRacG.png (98 KB, 462x576) Image search: [Google]
vSHRacG.png
98 KB, 462x576
>>37371567
depressant doesn't mean what you think it means. alcohol is a CNS depressant.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressant
that being said, it can worsen/cause depression, if that's what you meant.

so yeah fuck alcohol tbqh.
t. ex-alcoholic
>>
>>37371567
What about spirits like vodka? You only need a few shots to get drunk. Rather than like 1litre+ of shitty, high calorie beer
>>
>>37371174

>3. You don't need 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. This is based on bro science and a con by the fitness industry dating back to the 60s.

absolute bullshit, since i got more protein in my diet from lean meats i won like twice the gains compared to before

>6. Natties need to train HEAVY. Fuck your getting-a-pump rep range.

do you think 7-8 reps is heavy? because since i changed my routine from 5x5 to a 5x8 with more controlled form and more muscle contraction i got much better results
>>
>>37385898
btw try sprinting/going faster for 20-100 yards a few times throughout your run. You might have to reduce the overall distance you go, but it's a way more satisfying workout and generally gives you better stamina gains (at least in my experience).

Also don't worry about trying to run every day, except maybe in the beginning just to prove to yourself that you can. 2 or 3 runs a week is plenty. Even 1 good workout a week will keep you in drastically better shape(stamina-wise) than the average person if you're mixing together sprints and running.
>>
>>37371053
Girls dont care about muscles. All in the face.
>>
>>37373356

I wish this were true.

It's been over a year since I last had a soda (May 13th, 2014), and every so often I have a god damn DREAM about drinking coke. The headaches and full blown cravings might stop after two weeks, but missing the taste doesn't seem to go away, at least for me.
>>
>>37387065
They care about muscles, just not as much as your face, good smile, friendly personality, etc. All most people need to do is get a low bf% with a little muscle
>>
>>37371187
What is wrong with diet sodas? Literally 90% of my fluid consumption is Pepsi max
>>
>>37371187
How do I hit calorie counts without soda or juice? I can hardly hit 1.5k without it and im trying to get 2.7k
>>
>Eat 8 eggs and a liter of whole milk throughout the course of the day
>Barely 86g of protein
What
How the fuck do people manage to eat a gram for each pound of bodyweight
That seems ridiculous
>>
>>37387128
Soda is empty calories. You really shouldn't be using them as a tool to hit a calorie goal
>>
>>37387150
I also struggle with this. I have to assume everyone is having protein shakes.
>>
File: sneakycat.gif (2 MB, 330x270) Image search: [Google]
sneakycat.gif
2 MB, 330x270
>>37387118
fatty detected
>>
>>37387150
>>37387273
a fairly standard 10oz chicken breast, just on its own, is around 70g of protein.

are you even trying.
>>
>>37387358
Huh, you're right. I underestimated chicken and overestimated eggs.
Hmm. Well, the oven's on.
>>
>>37387328
15% bf and I've been seriously slacking the past few months. You do realise you need to consume calories to get fat and diet soda has 0 calories?
>>
>>37387358
>>37387387
Yeah, I think I was also underestimating chicken and overestimating eggs...
>>
>>37373866
why not?
>>
>>37373866
This only applies when your true feelings are weird/creepy/unattractive/off-putting. Stop believing everyone should love you for who you truly are; your parents lied to you.
>>
>>37371174
9) and 10) are truely good advices. good for you man, you know your shit.
>>
>>37371567
Can't quite give up Bourbon and Scotch yet, about once or twice a week.

Beer and Wine can go tho.
>>
File: ds3LveY.gif (1 MB, 281x200) Image search: [Google]
ds3LveY.gif
1 MB, 281x200
>>37371174
You da real mvp
>>
>>37371053
Dear 17-year-old self,

Dont get pissed at your family for "not accepting you for you" and "trying to impose shit on you" when they tell you that you should start lifting. Don't be comfortable with your shitty body. Don't try to justify your shitty skeleton body. If you have to justify it, then that means you know that it is not good.

Also stop crawling back to your shitty ex girlfriend who doesnt give a phuck about you and your skinny ass.
>>
>>37378399
>Never break a promise to yourself or you will lose faith in the only person you can really trust.

This spoked to me in ways not a lot of text do.
>>
Don't waste your money on GNC supplements. Shit product shit prices shit company
>>
Dishonesty is always worse than honesty in the long run
>>
>>37381553
+1
>>
>>37387006
Thanks for the follow-up, it's very much appreciated.

Funny that you say that, one of the guys I train BJJ with suggested the same thing. I'm definitely interested in sprinting, and running/sprinting in intervals seems like a great way to progress in terms of overall agility and endurance.

I've noticed my left knee sometimes gives me trouble if I sprint in intervals. I used to (maybe 3-4 months ago) do exactly what you suggested but stopped because of it. It's gotten a little better.

I think I should start it again.
>>
>>37388098
Have you been the doctors about your knee? Is it bad form? I wouldn't risk anything to do with your knees desu, especially if it's a recurring issue
>>
>>37382080
Feelsbadman
>>
>>37371567
> If you're out at a pub, have a diet soda, nobody is going to give a shit.
not if you're 19 years old like me
>>
>>37371567
>No one is going to judge you,

are you fucking serious? whenever I simply say "I'm not drinking tonight" nobody will leave me alone. I get mocked the next week for it by irritating skinnyfat fuckers with beer bellies. Then they constantly invite me out to try and coerce me into drinking for some reason.
>>
>>37390078
You just have to get drunk, I mean, sofa king drunk just one time in front of them, that they almost worry about you. They'll never give you shit for not drinking again.
>>
>>37390078
that's because you surround yourself with shitty people. good people don't force their friends to do shit they don't want to unless it's for their own good.
>>
You know you should've started a year ago, so start now. Damn it was hard to start man.
>>
>>37371053
I have a good one.

Never listen to any faggot on 4chan, in fact leave 4chan as soon as you can. I'm here because I'm emotionless and need quick bouts of information on the go with small sides of drama and laughter without the filter. Staying on here will change you depending on whether you are a positive or negative person but this site generally attracts negative people and if your negative this site and community will do the following:

>Make you highly insecure
>Make you miserable
>Highly self-conscious
>Cold, passionless and dark
>empty and hard done by

Lastly never believe anything on here let a lone the internet. Everyone is different you can achieve a great body with just watching how you eat and so forth but genetics will play a huge role as well as what you did during your growth period as a kid to early twenties.

IN regards from personal experience.

Compound lifts don't break the entire muscle per-se they just utilize your strongest muscle until that tears while also slightly engaging the other muscles. Muscle isolation actual and lifting for reps tears the specific targeted muscle components within the muscle its-self.

Diet is by far the most important factor and eating high protein is crucial to any cut, high protein is highly thermogenic especially when looking at sub 10g of carbs or fats. You are what you eat, there is reason we are called meatheads.

Majority of /fit/ haven't got a single idea, there gains are laughable and the ones that do with or without roids are general the ones that aren't shoving meme diets and strict discipline down your throat. Key to the body to simplify it is eat moderately healthy, high protein, only water, coffee's or tea and train hard with good form, push yourself and rest. Don't give up after a month, it should be almost like breathing you have to do it and within 5 - 10 years you will have solid muscle memory that will allow you some lenience as long as you remain active and on top of your diet.
>>
>>37371053

>Stop fetishizing the big three and the Olympic lifts. They're useful tools, nothing more.
>>
>>37383387
>>37383437
>Actually take your highschool studies seriously. You may think you're smart, and your teachers will think the same, but the honest-to-God truth is that you're an underachiever. Crack open those books, nurture an interest in learning, get good grades, and then get those scholarships. Also take those AP classes, bitch. Those credits transfer to university.
>Don't fuck your best friend's girlfriend. You'll lose a valuable friend.
>Don't get involved with that shady company, look for work somewhere else.
Damn, kid. It's like you were trying to fuck up your life.
>>
>>37374816
I would literally do that today but i am just wayy to autistic.

I dint know how to dress, what to say, how to use the machines, what to do if someone is using the machine that i wanted to use.

Also im super hairy and that makes me self conscious.

Im just scared bros

I wanna get fit.

How do i overcome this?
>>
>>37390793
Literally have some sort of external force set you back negatively to the point where it sets you into motion i.e girls breaks your heart, you lose everything and have to rely on said physical exertion to escape or let it out.

Or you can do it the other-way which most people struggle with and swallow your tongue and just do it. Tell yourself that no matter what you look like now will pale in comparison to future you, therefore being self-conscious is irrelevant because this is just a means, its like upgrading a car, yeah your goal is to upgrade but to get around you still need an a to b. You're currently the a to b, without the a to b you won't get that upgrade.
>>
>>37390723
THIS
>>
>>37373341
used to binge drink coke and sprite all the time
been drinking sparkling water for over a year now, quit soda around last december, haven't had any all of 2016

voss sparkling water is the easiest to drink
really helps since you still get that burn from the carbonation
>>
Love your family and try to stay good to them.

Many of us live alone, and if that weren't bad enough already, it gets worse when you're estranged from people who care about you.

It isn't always biological family - it can be old friends you don't keep up with, teachers, coaches, padres etc... just keep connected.

Modern life is hell on the heart and mind. There are no steroids that can put good inserts on isolation and alienation.
>>
File: 1459359520115 - Copy - Copy.jpg (656 KB, 3240x4320) Image search: [Google]
1459359520115 - Copy - Copy.jpg
656 KB, 3240x4320
>>37382080
I know that feel

19, going UNI in september, casually lifting but surf and research like no tomorrow. Maybe I have a chance to become the Greek God I know I can become.
>>
>>37371053

If something hurts, DON'T TRY TO FUCKING TRAIN THROUGH IT. I bought the phantom pain meme and got tendinosis, only went away after ~2 years.
>>
>>37371174

Accurate
>>
>>37390823
Thanks a lot anon-kun
>>
>>37390793
>I dint know how to dress
Any comfortable shoes will do, like sports sneakers or even chuck taylors
Lifting is not running, you don't need to pay that much attention to your shoes
You do need to put more thought in it if you're going to do cardio, though.

For the lower body you should wear something that doesn't restrict your movement, like shorts. So don't wear fucking jeans
>Also im super hairy and that makes me self conscious.
Just shave trim or shave the parts that make you uncomfortable then.
I shave my armpits and trim my legs and balls, though I have no idea what I would do with my chest hair for example since I don't have it.
>>
1, Don't use machines, free weights are much more fun and don't feel like work
2. Get another anti depressant, wellbutrin specifically
3. It's all calories, focus on a deficit
>>
>>37371053
ur muscles dont need to be sore in order for them to gain muscle, just lift until failure
>>
>>37390078
they see you as better than them or on a path to being better than them. They're trying to bring you down.
>>
>>37373866
This.

Also never, ever apologise. It's the only proof they need.
>>
Stop fapping 3-5x a day during your teenage years. Now your test levels are fucked up.
>>
>>37391511
>3-5x a day

is this even possible? after like 3 my dick hurts and I need a day or two's rest
>>
>>37391524
I was incredibly horny back then. Usually rubbed one out when waking up and before going to sleep. I'd get a stiffy when showering and pissing. Just a mere touch on my dick made me wanna fap.
>>
>>37391524
Look at Mr. Never Been Addicted to Porn
>>
>>37391406
Never. Fucking. Apologize.

Yeah, I stopped doing that this year, things got MUCH better.
>>
That anavar isn't real. It's a internet meme drug to shut up newbies scared of needles that looking for oral steroids. The go on a wild goose chase on the Internet for it and leave all the steroid discussion forums alone.
>>
>>37380151
>4.
So fucking true brah. Not only fit related thing , there are so many good shit can be research on web , like language , coding , lifeskill ,....
At 15-17 im watched like 300 ~ animes series and play a shit load of games. And i forgot everything. Fuck what a watse of time
>>
>>37381523
Sit around and play on the Internet googling things and finding websites like 4chan. Anonymous discussion forums are filled with a lot of faggots, but they're really good places to learn. You get a raw look at the human psyche since people post anonymously. You get to hear unfiltered discussion from people all over the world, learn about their traditions, laws,customs and what they think of them. You find massive resources on various topics, like the stickies we have for each board, etc.

The Internet is faggot-filled, but it's a great place to be, especially for people who are just learning about the world.
>>
Don't wear tanks when you barely start. You'll regret it once you have gotten bigger and realize you were dyel back then
>>
>>37382255
People use that natty excuse irrationally. The guy said that oly lifters train with high volume low intensity when moving up a weight class, and you say they are not natty. Not being natty would just allow to train harder m8, getting more results than doing it like others.
>>
>>37371053

>exercise, counting calories is way easier than most people think and being fit is a pleasure, not some hard job torture
>>
>>37371567
You must be fun at party's i've got a few frends who train and think it will make that much of a change so they dont drink and they bore the fuck out of everyone. And im still way bigger so good luck ruining your youth stupid cunt
>>
File: 1404536865917.jpg (40 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
1404536865917.jpg
40 KB, 535x577
That it was actually full homo all along
>>
File: 1461481570966.jpg (9 KB, 206x192) Image search: [Google]
1461481570966.jpg
9 KB, 206x192
>>37371174
>>
>>37371187
i have been eating icecream everyday even though i am on a cut, i am still eating my veggies and chicken, and staying under 1700 cals, but i was wondering what the bad sideeffect of it would be ?
>>
1.you're getting fatty
2.nobody will help
>>
>>37371187
>Weight loss is 70% diet.
I would say anything fitness is mostly diet, and I would say at least 90%
water and coffee only
>I could have been a Stacy in high school of I had gotten my shit together food-wise
what about now?
>>
STOP BEING INSECURE

STOP SELF-DOUBTING YOURSELF

PEOPLE LIKE YOU FOR YOU, NO HIDDEN AGENDA OR REASON

ASK HER OUT!!! SHE OBVIOUSLY ENJOYS SPENDING TIME WITH YOU, WORST CASE YOU BECOME BETTER FRIENDS!! FUUUUUCK
>>
>>37394224
>PEOPLE LIKE YOU FO
That's dubious
>>
>>37392495
I'm dyel 5 months in and I wear tanks. I know I'm small and its both a way to admire my progress and motivate me to get better like the hulks around me.
>>
>>37371053

>that roman dudes helmet ALSO has a lion showing off a ripped off head

kek, sculptor from 1000BC, you're still appreciated
>>
File: 40_year_workout.jpg (107 KB, 810x960) Image search: [Google]
40_year_workout.jpg
107 KB, 810x960
>>37380789
>not trying to get massive
>>
>>37373866
i just made this mistake today, someone please fucking kill me

how do i stop thinking about her
>>
You're not gay.

Your asshole is fine how it is, just leave it alone.
>>
File: Snapchat-4520983820711978414.jpg (440 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4520983820711978414.jpg
440 KB, 1080x1920
I'm 6'1" , 185lb and been at it everyday for a month
D-do I have hope
>>
>>37397074

Keep it up, you just might make it.
>>
>>37373341
don't have it in your home. if it's not available, you won't drink it. If you're thirsty, have water, or tea, or coffee. I've been almost a year without any soda and once you get over the hump of the craving for a sweet drink, you'll be fine. Took about a week or so before I stopped wanting any. I'll try a sip here and there, but it just tastes like a less viscous syrup, which is pretty unpleasant.
>>
File: Cc5bVyz.jpg.png (411 KB, 319x757) Image search: [Google]
Cc5bVyz.jpg.png
411 KB, 319x757
>>37387399
Oh boy! You're body sure loves chemicals, colors, sodium, and garbage! Quit the excuses and drink water.
>>
>>37374213
>mkay
who tf types that
>>
>>37371174

fpbp
>>
>>37397399
>You're body sure loves chemicals, colors, sodium, and garbage!
Jesus, you sound like my semi-retarded, scientifically illiterate mother
>>
File: 1455669828532.jpg (83 KB, 447x820) Image search: [Google]
1455669828532.jpg
83 KB, 447x820
Basically all the compound lifts, mainly the big three. Missing that puberty hormonal window is quite a shame. I felt like my body needing something at the time, but I was too dumb to figure out what it was. Nobody seemed to know or care back then. Oh well, it's ok. We will all make it.
>>
The way you look when you're looking at yourself in the best lighting and best angle might as well be the way you picture yourself all the time if you're comparing yourself to fitness icons like Zyzz etc.

Zyzz looked fucking small in a lot of pictures due to bad lighting but you never notice it because you have an image of him in your mind already.
Same goes for Jeff and basically every bodybuilder. Go look at some casual workout vids of your favourite bodybuilder or whatever, not some highly edited montage shit but a raw video, and actually look how small and unaesthetic they look in the gym compared to them at their best.
>>
I wish I'd kept lifting when I first started at 15 instead of giving up until I was 19.
>>
>>37382822
>>37371567
>>37386521
Nobody actually has a proven idea of what alcohol does to your body. You can ignore all advice about it. Hell, there are people in France who do marathon runs and claim wine improves your cardio.

Follow your intuition, drink when you want, and don't drink heavily. 1-2 pints is ideal for a nice conversation with your mates.
>>
1. Meal Prep and calorie counting isn't for fags, it makes eating healthily far easier and more accurate
2. Drinking a couple of litres of water per day makes your body function better and is very important in regards to hormone control and thus strength training
3. Creatine is cheap and great. Vitamin D is useful but in no way a replacement for a minimum of 1 hours sunlight per day. Omega 3 is useful, you probably already have too much Omega 6. Pretty much everything else is bullshit. Run everything through examine.com before buying
4. Eating more vegetables is 99% of the key to eating less and fixing almost all dietary problems.
5. Take the little trivial things seriously
6. Lift 1 Rep Max's to find out your failing point and WHERE and WHY you're weakest. This will get you further faster.
7. Never drink calories
8. Olive, Canola or Flaxseed Oil, almost everything else is liquid saturated fat
9. Getting fit can start off as "looking good" "losing weight" "getting girls" but after a while if you're not lifting for yourself, for your health and/or for fun then you're not going to bother any more.
>>
>>37376022
1g per kg, not lbs.
>>
>>37390793

Gotta hit rock bottom, anon.
Those depths are horrifying, but lower lows lead to higher highs.

>>stoneandthesculptor.jpg
>>
File: fit-drink.jpg (449 KB, 936x1285) Image search: [Google]
fit-drink.jpg
449 KB, 936x1285
>>37373341
Plenty of responses already but here's what worked for me for cutting out soda:

Simply eating more vegetables.

I tried to give up sugar and give up cola and give up X Y Z and failed every time. When I focused on eating more vegetables my tastes started changing over time and I simply gave up more and more processed shit over time.

Carbonated drinks also help in the transition.
>>
>>37375888
underrated post
>>
Count your calories and protein, dumbass. You're not going to get anywhere by guesstimating this. You'll make some mad gains if you consume 3500-4000 calories a day and lift heavy.
>>
File: 1295298239070.gif (2 MB, 285x214) Image search: [Google]
1295298239070.gif
2 MB, 285x214
>>37397469
Family Planning Benefit Program?
>>
>>37398164
Eh, I thought that Mio stuff was a meme, just sugar water.

I'm currently enjoying black coffee, gradually weened myself down to double double, then one milk, one sugar, then one milk, then black.

Coke Zero is still my lifeblood though. Just enough caffeine to not give me headaches.
>>
>>37383930
So fucking true that it hurts. Happened to me and I didn't recover for months on end. Fuck feelings. Now I just lift for myself
>>
File: 1209953314831.jpg (285 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1209953314831.jpg
285 KB, 1280x853
>>37398316
Mio has no sugar, just flavoured water. Cheaper to make your own but it's useful

Coke Zero is my last addiction too, though I've moved to Pepsi Max because it's cheaper.

I made my own Cola a couple weeks ago from the OpenCola recipe and then I ordered some Cube Cola online. Next batch I'm going to make with sweetener (stevia) so it's basically Coke Zero but tastier, for half the price. Worth checking out online if you're interested
>>
>>37397059
what's wrong with it? pics?
Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.