[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Physical Fitness in ancient times thread. Anyone got any idea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: armor.png (35 KB, 446x500) Image search: [Google]
armor.png
35 KB, 446x500
Physical Fitness in ancient times thread.

Anyone got any idea what people's diets were like about 2 or 3 thousand years ago?

Also, how did people work out and keep fit and strong? What were their routines like?

Always been curious about this.
>>
For Spartans?

Bread and Gruel and shit wine mostly

Probably a lot of marching and weapon's practice

A lot of guys would be in the gymnasium doing cardio and sport practice -- pretty similar to today but the programming wouldn't be as good
>>
Farm work probably, and basically the food we have today
>>
>>37353569
What the fuck makes you think people on this board are gonna have the answers?
>>
I saw a video awhileback where they prepared a traditional spartan food.

It was some nasty shit. Pigs blood with vinegar and barley. Them niggas was drinking their calories
>>
>>37353588
you guys are autists who spend all day researching fitness rather than actually working out. you should know these things.
>>
>>37353587
Spartans didn't do the farm work, their slaves did.

Same with most other greeks who were rich enough to train and have fancy hoplite equipment
>>
>>37353588
THIS. Holy shit this.
Anyone who answers this question seriously is a grade A.. Melvin.
>>
>>37353601
link?
>>
>>37353588
/thread.
>>
They did mostly calisthenics. If they did lift, it was usually because they needed to do some physical labor like moving rocks. People in ancient times relied mostly on mobility which calisthentics helps more with, but that is not to say they also lifted for strength.

They also did a lot of cardio, since it's a part of basic conditioning. They needed to make sure they were aerobically fit and was able to charge at the enemy at fast speed and for long periods of time. While in battle, though most one-on-one battles were quickly done, there were lots of them so a person needed to have good stamina to keep up. Hence why they also ran a lot.

I don't know anything about ancient diet so I'm not going to comment on it.
>>
File: image.png (346 KB, 620x430) Image search: [Google]
image.png
346 KB, 620x430
>>
>>37353569
Varied between societies.

In Ancient Greece, the vast majority of the population were agricultural workers, and didn't 'train' in the same sense we do. However, the day-to-day heavy work done on a farm is more or less the same as the main compound movements (squatting down under load, picking shit up, and pressing it overhead.)

Actual 'training' was limited to the aristocracy and the wealthy (who weren't always the same) who had tenants or hired labour to do their farming for them. It revolved around particular events that developed from combat techniques like javelin, discus, stone throwing, sprinting (both naked and in armour) and wrestling, boxing, and 'pankration' (essentially the Greek equivalent of MMA.)

Strength training did exist in multiple forms because physical strength was considered a primary masculine virtue. Mostly it was people picking things up (like heavy rocks) and putting them down again. They did have some understanding of progressive overload and some of the more noted athletes incorporated it into their routines (Milo of Croton is particularly famous for it.)

Diet varied widely between social classes. The main staples were grains (principally wheat, barley, rye, spelt), beans, olives and olive oil (which was true of all mediterranean cultures), cheese, bread, various fruits, and wine. Meat (particularly poultry and goat) would have been eaten regularly except in times of famine, but the rich had more access to it than the poor (a man's wealth was traditionally measured in both Greek and Roman society by the number of cattle he owned, with the oldest words for 'wealth' and 'money' in Greek, Latin, and even English all being related to terms for cattle.)
>>
>The gymnasium in Ancient Greece functioned as a training facility for competitors in public games. It was also a place for socializing and engaging in intellectual pursuits. The name comes from the Ancient Greek term gymnós meaning "naked".

Athletes competed nude, a practice which was said to encourage aesthetic appreciation of the male body(no homo) , and to be a tribute to the gods. Gymnasia and palestrae (wrestling schools) were under the protection and patronage of Heracles, Hermes and, in Athens, Theseus.
>>
Weightlifting is as ancient as civilization.
Greeks used dumbells. Romans used stones.
Every civilization that had a warrior class knew about weight training and their approach was not that different to ours.
>>37353569
>>
Plutarch in the 'life of noble ancient Greeks and Romans' has a ton of snippets.
If I recall correctly that Milos could eat something like 5 kilos of meat a day and a couple magnums of wine.
They definitely knew that to get big you had to eat big.
Spartan food was notoriously shitty, on purpose. Even their enemies would make fun of that, but the theory is that in a pinch, you'd be appreciative of anything you ate. Stoicism and all...

To stay fit horse riding, calisthenics, body weight. Plato apparently was a savage as a wrestler, and Aristotle hung out in the gym well out in his old age.
But I also imagine most people also walked a shiton and etc.
somewhere I read that the statues that we see are propaganda, designed to boost image. So there is that too
>>
>>37354729
Stoicism was started wayyyyy later than the beginning of Spartan culture, but I get what you mean lol.

Alcibiades, when he was trying to emulate the Spartan life after defecting from Athens, would take cold baths.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.