[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intermediate routines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (335 KB, 1397x2341) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
335 KB, 1397x2341
/fit/, is it time for me to finally move onto an intermediate routine? I am starting to fail more and more, progress is back to every second session. If so, which would be a good one to emphasise power and strength, rather than aesthetics?
Current stats:
Height 183cm
Weight 86kg
Squat: 3x5 @ 115kg
Deadlift 1x5 @ 140kg
Bench 1x5 @ 75kg
OHP 3x5 @ 50kg
Pendlay row 3x5 @ 70kg

Picture unrelated
>>
>>37350835
How is your bench and OHP so low?
Your form on the other lifts is probably utter shite
>>
>>37350868
I've always had shit shoulders due to playing a sport which requires a heap of throwing. The training volumes destroy all my gains
>>
Changing routines becomes necessary when you're no longer making progress despite training as hard as you can, getting plenty of rest and sleep and eating well.

If you're doing all of the above and still struggling to add weight, change to a routine that adds weight at a slower rate.

If you could be eating more and assisting your recovery better, than its better to deload 10% and keep pushing for as long as you can.

If you want a good intermediate routine look into Hepburn. I've been running it for the last year and it's been a never ending gains train, no failure or deloads at all for over 11 months.
>>
>>37350894
Thanks friend. I am gaining weight but it won't translate to the bar. I tried getting 3x5 bench press @ 75kg yesterday and failed my last 2 sets at 3 reps. Shameful display
>>
What is your current routine?
>>
>>37351138
GSLP, I left out the chins though on my stats. They're +8kg for 3x5
>>
>>37351147
If your bench is stalling at 75kg when you weigh that much it's possibly because you're not doing enough horizontal pulling. Try switching to dumbbell bent over rows as your main back movement (2 times a week) and do chins on deadlift day as you normally would with your lats warmed up. Also if you like incline bench, switch to incline bench instead of bench for a month.
>>
>>37351236
>flat bench stalled?
>do everything but flat bench
You're such a fucking idiot
>>
>>37351240
Would your recommend flat benching 2x per week instead of 1.5x? How do I fix my pathetic chest and triceps?
>>
>>37351240
Do you expect to get through a stall by not benching? Horizontal pulling will increase the weight your lats carry during a typical arched bench press and I picked dumbbell rows because I like them more than barbell rows and in my experience they're just a better way to train the lats. I doubt his weakness lies in the decline portion of the movement so I suggested incline bench over adding dips. Adding dips or an extra pressing movement on top of his normal benching would affect recovery. While some beginners wouldn't have a problem, OP has already stated that his recovery is affected by his non-lifting fitness goals. Therefore it makes sense to work on those two weaknesses and see what happens over an extended period of time during which it's possible to progressively load his incline bench.
>>
>>37351236
My horizontal pulling is almost as strong as my flat bench, and that's after a heavy deload due to a fractured/dislocated finger. Apparently that's slightly disproportionate towards a relatively stronger back
>>
>>37351293
http://strengtheory.com
Click on "28 free training programs" on the right near top side of the screen.

Download the zipped folder which has a excel and pdf file.

Inside are some of the best bench programs I've ever seen. A lot of people in the powerlifting general are having great success.

I'd recommend the 3 day intermediate program. The one with weekly progression. (First one)

Read the PDF for extra information if you want to still do OHP for example.
>>
>>37351304
You might be cheating on your form on your rows, have a serious muscle imbalance in your chest and triceps, or you're benching wrong.
>>
>>37351298
I can't be bothered to read all of this so I skimmed through and sww you're just isolating problems areas.

To bench more you literally must bench more. This is an undeniable fact.
Bench variations are only for problems areas such as a poor lockout, and really only intended for those with a bench strong enough to have issues such as a poor lockout.

At 75kg he can just literally bench more
>>
>>37351298
I can always get the bar off my chest, but it slows once my arms hit right angles with the ground. If I bench heavy to failure, I always have bad DOMS through my chest and anterior deltoids. More pulling and incline work will help me push through this?
>>
>>37351328
DOMS are usually a sign that you've been neglecting a muscle and you've recently hit it harder than usual. Are you just pussying out when you bench? As a novice on GSLP you're meant to be lifting heavy to failure every workout. In my opinion the deloads are kinda excessive but you can increase reps across all sets to compensate.

What the other anon said is also a good idea. You can try benching twice a week and do flat bench one day and a variation like spoto press the other day. Your ohp will still go up. The sticking point you're describing is pretty common for most people, on its own I wouldn't say that's indicative of any kind of muscle imbalance.
>>
>>37351362
This is such indicative and unserious advice

>hurr durr bench an arbitrary amount of figures a week
>do arbitrary bench assistance
>have no planned sets or reps
>have no planned progression

This is such shit advice. Follow a fucking program.
>>
>>37351374
Does it really matter if I tell him to bench flat 1 day and spoto the other day or if candito tells him to do it?
>>
>>37351389
You're seriously not recommending him one of canditos programs for bench are you?

Holy shit I'm about to shoot up this thread
>>
>>37351362
I normally try to work right on the edge of failure without actually failing. I seriously struggle with increasing intensity though. I can squeeze out 3x5 at 72.5kg, but it's hard work. Once I go up to 75 even the first set is a serious battle grinding the last 2 reps out
I've put on 10kg in the last 2.5 months which has helped push my lifts up but it just isn't helping anymore
>>
>>37351393
Are you seriously recommending a weekly progression program to someone who can't bench their bodyweight?
>>
>>37351393
Please tell me more about how you're a better PLer than Candito. What would you recommend, given you're clearly the strongest and most knowledgable person ITT
>>
>>37351374
Are programs not arbitrary themselves?
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 1299x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 1299x1000
>>37351413
I recommended him the entire section of bench programs
It may be weekly progression but you can add 7.5lbs a week so I wouldn't say that's a small amount.

>>37351424
There are only two powerlifting approved programs

Sheyko
Nuckols
>>
>>37351585
I always found it really hard to break plateaus with big jumps as a novice. I ended up making 5lb jumps twice a week and just dropping some ohp volume for bench volume on a modified madcow program. My ohp made progress no matter what I did and so did my deadlift so it helped me a lot. That's why I recommended a slightly modified GSLP for 3 days a week using candito's 1 day flat 1 day spoto scheme from his linear UL program, it fits the program format in the GSLP book which recommends alternating between incline/decline/ohp in one of the example training plans, which is almost the same as what I told OP to do.
>>
>>37351629
OP here. So:

Mon
3x5 normal bench

Wed
3x5 OHP

Fri
3x5 spoto

Along with the other regular programming?
>>
>>37351629
What percentage of 5RM flat bench are we talking for spoto presses?
>>
>>37351629
Progression is based off your AMRAP sets, not set in stone.

Don't criticise the program without reading it

>>37351650
You'll get nowhere with this shit
>>
>>37351703
I knew /fit/ would confuse the fuck out of me
>>
>>37351712
See >>37351316

Everyone I know who's struggled with their bench has had success with this program
>>
>>37351703
It really doesn't matter as much as you think it does.

>>37351682
Try 70% spoto and increase or decrease as needed or just do the other anon's program so he doesn't get angry that you're not autistically following a linear program by the book for the entirety of your novice lifting career. Either way I'd say all you need is a switch up of exercises, volume and/or frequency. You're fairly new so any well designed program will give you results when you first start it unless the volume is too much for you and you go to failure every session.
>>
Different fucker here same question

6'4"
215 lbs

OHP 155 x 5
Bench 245 x 5
BOR 195 x 5
Squat 265 x 5
Deadlift 385 x 5
>>
>>37350835

Hey OP I'm almost in the same boat like you.
Height 185cm
Weight 84kg
Squat: 3x5 @ 120kg
Deadlift 1x5 @ 140kg
Bench 3x5 @ 90kg
OHP 3x5 @ 55kg
Barbell row 3x5 @ 82,5kg

Thinking about switching to an upper-lower split like P.H.U.L. (google that), but im not sure yet
>>
>>37351781
Your bench is great senpai, your lower body lifts are behind if you're shooting for 1/2/3/4
>>
whats your eating like? if possible, write down everything you ate (and the amounts) on your last workout day
>>
>>37350835
currently 1/1.5/3/4

is this normal? feels like my bench is lagging quite badly
>>
When someone goes "I can lift X/Y/W/Z", is the order OHP/Row/Squart/Deadlift?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.