[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /fit/ think about the keto diet? Is it just a meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: funny-fat-guy-pictures.jpg (89 KB, 924x990) Image search: [Google]
funny-fat-guy-pictures.jpg
89 KB, 924x990
What does /fit/ think about the keto diet? Is it just a meme diet? Does it actually work? WIll it fuck up your blood pressure/cholesterol?
>>
>>37346307
Some people like it, some people don't
It's a little meme-ish but it works

I just don't think the crash in the beginning from not having a lot of carbs is worth it and I lost weight just fine by just reducing calories and not drinking tons of soda and eating junk like chocolate all the damn time
>>
Lost 50 pounds in 3 months on it, it werks.
>>
>>37346307
>Is it just a meme diet?
yes

>Does it actually work?
yes

>WIll it fuck up your blood pressure/cholesterol?
Probably nothing on short term, no sane nutritionist would advise it for long periods of time tho.
>>
>>37346307
Carbs and sugars are the only thing that fuck up blood pressure/cholesterol. Keto solves that problem obviously. Stop falling for outdated 1970s momscience understanding of nutrition.
>>
>>37346307
It helps some with satiety, others no.

I only recommend it to fatfucks.
But it doesnt affect body composition on a caloric deficit:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16403234

Arguably better for bloodwork, but only for fatties.

Intermittent fasting is 10000000x more amazing.
Prevents thermogenic adaptation
Helps with insulin sensitivity and leptin sensitivity (the latter being part of the mechanism responsible for prevention and reversal of thermogenic adaptation)
Increased growth hormone and test for better muscle retention in a deficit
Almost impossible to eat too many calories in the short eating window, if you are eating enough fiber and protein.
Much easier psychological compliance (anecdotal, but consistent).

Normally i would provide citations, but frankly i am too drunk and lazy to even keep track of my claims, let alone back them up with real information..
I am right though.
Check martin berkhan or jim stoppani for actual data
>>
File: ketotards get redpilled.jpg (39 KB, 570x482) Image search: [Google]
ketotards get redpilled.jpg
39 KB, 570x482
>>37346307

Ever seen a ripped/lean guy on keto? (that's NOT selling his super keto bacon all day program)

thought so.
>>
>>37346307
>does it work
... does it what?
>>
>>37346307
Low carb diets actually improve blood lipids more than low-fat or Mediterranean. People tend to have more weight loss, and similar decreases in blood pressure. Mediterranean may be better for blood sugar control in diabetics though.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681

So yeah, you'll lose weight on it, and probably improve your blood pressure and other marks for cardiovascular disease. Low carb diets are among the best for retaining lean mass also.
>>
Read this, OP
>>
>>37349353
For some it helps**
>>
>>37346307
>>37346307
my fat friend did keto and lost weight
>>
>>37346307
http://www.empiri.ca/p/eat-meat-not-too-little-mostly-fat.html
>>
>>37349453
AH Manninen is an atkins shill.

Do not believe his lies.

All he does is misinterpret studies from the 70s that were misunderstood, not understood, or simply poorly executed, and call that a "case review"

He is in disagreement with literally all of modern nutritional science.

Outside of the misconception that low carb diets are better for muscle retention, everything else you said is correct. Keto is better for bloodwork
>>
>>37347268
ya ive lost 45 in 3 months, will say it works? ive also cut down on cals and did the daily fasting meme thing on weekdays. and 20 minutes of cardio 3 times a week... so idk
>>
>>37346307
I did it for five months and lost about 30lbs. Started at 218, 6'2"...now I would like my lifts to go up.
>>
>>37346307
I like eating lots of fat but there isn't a huge advantage with not eating carbs
>>
File: 1460418983476.jpg (103 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460418983476.jpg
103 KB, 1080x1080
>>37346307
>study nutrition
>come to threads like these just to laugh
>never give advice because all the infomation OP wants is on google scholar in journals and papers
never change, /fit/.
>>
>>37346307
It's how we evolved to eat.
>>
keto is for weakling shits that are afraid of cardio and can't run a lap or go 15 minutes on their gf from behind without panting and gasping for air and passing out
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.