[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck does one quit smoking? I do these HIIT classes and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 1422102513001.jpg (9 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1422102513001.jpg
9 KB, 240x180
How the fuck does one quit smoking? I do these HIIT classes and it really bothers me that even though i'm the biggest guy there my resistance to high-intensity training is shit,and i suspect it is because of smoking.I managed to cut from 1 pack a day to maybe 10-15 cigs.
>>
start vaping
>>
After being a smoker for 8 years (1-2 packs a day) I started vaping and I stopped smoking after about 1 week. Then I managed to cut down on vaping in about 2 months and I'm now smoke-free since about 2½ years. Can highly recommend it. It's not autismal if it's done to quit smoking.
>>
>>37346034
Oh, btw, quitting smoking was like being reborn with a new set of lungs

Just do it
>>
>>37345655
I started dipping instead, worked down on the dip, switched to chew, and after that was able to quit
>>
>>37346034

Tried vaping,it's shit.Doesn't feel as good as smoking.
>>
>>37345655
Yes, the reason is because you smoke.
And the reason you don't stop smoking is because you're a pussy afraid you won't make it.

Btw, the way to quit is cold turkey, not progressively smoking less. if you progressively lower your smoke count a few weeks before smoking, you have more chances to start smoking again after a few years.
I'm not shitting you, there's a whole study about this.

Also, I was a smoker for 11 years (about 1pack/day) and stopped 4 years ago. It's a whole different life. As a smoker, you don't even realize how shitty it makes you, because it came gradually and now you can't compare your situation to anything because you forgot.

I learned that I have a chronic sinusitis when I went to a doc a few months ago because I couldn't breath through the nose perfectly, at times. He prescribed some corticosteroids. I sprayed that in my nose and the next day I could not believe the difference. For years and years I had been breathing at less than half capacity from the nose, but I had no fucking clue because I thought it was the normal thing.

I'm not using this example because it might be related to smoking.
What I'm saying is that you litteraly do not realize right now what you have lost.

I guarantee you that there aren't many other decisions in life as good as deciding to quit smoking.
>>
Switch to vaping, gum or patches (tried everything, gum ended up working best for me because I just kept chewing long after the nicotine is gone and didn't even notice, whereas with vaping I was aware of having a lack of nicotine/ things to keep my mouth busy)

Also keeping an app showing your progress and whether you smoked. Gets rid of some of the "one smoke won't hurt" when you go from 120 hours smoke free to 0. Some of them also send you alerts when you've reached milestones, like at x point your hair no longer reeks of smoke 24/7, your circulation is better, etc
>>
The only way some people stop is when they get actual health problems from it. Heart problems, lung problems, dick problems, etc. I quit after I got pneumothorax.
>>
>>37346244

Tbh the reason i smoke is because i have nothing else to do with my hands.When i'm out with my friends i usually smoke too,a beer goes hand in hand with a cig.
>>
>>37346244

I smoked for 8 years. I went from 1 pack a day to 5 cigarettes a day. I was a heavy smoker for about 5 years, before quitting cold turkey last month. I haven't smoked since and don't really have cravings anymore. If you quit drinking along with smoking it's easier. Also, if your friends smoke stay away from them when they go out to smoke. It's easy to pick up the habit when you're doing it socially.
>>
>>37345655

Don't go cold turkey. Replace it with something less damaging slowly. In the last 3 years I gave up weed, coke, cigs, mmos, benzos, junk food, & hookers in favour of lifting, cardio, eating clean, green tea, meditation, & 7 day no fap cycles.

Honestly the buzz I get from 3 hours of cardio, barbell training, bodybuilding work, & meditation is more intense than that I used to get from getting high & fucked up.
>>
>>37345655
You look at how much they cost and than its easy as fuck to quit, I wouldn't have quit if I made more money though

I save 4150$ a year by not smoking because a pack in ontario costs 13 dollars and I smoked a pack or more a day
>>
Before any fedoras are posted or anything about popcorn lung, does vaping restrict your air flow as well?
>>
>>37346646
the only thing that should be in your lungs is air and anything else has the potential to offset the delicate environment inside them
>>
>>37345655
>big guy
>expecting to be good at HIIT
10/10 you baited a lot of people.
>>
>>37345655
swedish snus
>>
>>37345655
You quit cold turkey and then you never touch a cigarette again. That's how you actually quit smoking. Also the second part is the hard part. Not smoking for a week or so is not difficult, you'll just be kinda depressed and easily irritable (everyone will annoy you). I've done this multiple times and then stayed off for months or up to a year at a time. But then comes the hard part: When you "feel cured" it becomes really hard to remember how addictive that shit is, and then you get drunk and smoker friends offer you cigarettes or a joint.

Here's the key takeaway: You can never EVER consume tobacco or nicotine in any form again. If you don't have the strong conviction to never ever smoke again you will smoke again, probably but not necessarily under the influence of alcohol.

>>37346578
>Don't go cold turkey.
>no reason given

Nice argument.
>>
If the money that can be saved doesn't make you quit than you better get your priorities straight
>>
>>37346093
DONT FUCKING START DIPPING SHIT GAVE ME "PSVT"
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7E973zozc

you're welcome
>>
>>37346578
No it isnt getting high is way better

>tfw 10 beer and a ball of crack
>>
>>37347391
>that feel when you've gone without nicotine or THC for a few months now, reduced your alcohol intake to a beer a day and your imagination works again, you can vividly picture things, you have spontaneous, smart ideas, quick wit, you have funny comebacks in conversation just like you used to as a teenager
>it's not all lost, and it wasn't all an illusion
>I really did use to be brighter and I can be brighter again, I just have to stay sober

Wish you could join me in this state, my friend. For the first time in YEARS I feel consistently, for months now, driven towards concrete goals and I'm optimistic about my ability to achieve them. Drugs are a fucking distraction and a waste of your time. You can do better than to turn inward and manipulate how you feel temporarily by consuming random substances. Every time you do that you're NOT doing something else. By doing that you are postponing your goals, you are stalling. You know drugs don't lead anywhere. Don't you ever want to go anywhere again? There are likely no external factors that will force you to sober up. You can stall until you die. It's on you.
>>
>>37347600
Partying is way too fun
>>
>>37346730

Read the rest of my post brah. Imho it worked for me to gradually replace bad habits with more positive ones. After a relatively short time I didn't want to even touch a cigarette or junk food or whatever because it would mess with my lifting & training. It meant I didn't relapse at all really once it had gone a while without any of those things, compared to when going cold turkey.
>>
If you can't quit cold turkey and deal with the cravings and feeling like shit for a few days you have weak mind and you should just kill yourself.

Once you quit, going to buy that pack to fail your quit is 100% your decision. If you can't control your own actions then you are a failure and will never succeed in anything
>>
>>37346131
It is because of this I stopped vaping. I just didn't start smoking again after it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Honestly dude just go cold turkey. It fucking sucks but it's worth it. I've smoked for a little over 8 years and it's really the only way. Trying to ween yourself down just prolongs the suffering, just quit all together and get it over with. You'll be much happier in the long run.
>>
Just stop you faggot. Don't give me that "ohh it's not that simple" bullshit. I used to smoke a pack a day and just quit cold turkey. Been 2 years since I've touched a cigarette. Get some goddamn will power.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.