[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why should I eat regular veggies on a cut when there are convenient
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
Why should I eat regular veggies on a cut when there are convenient frozen vegetable mixes I could have?
>>
>>37306825
Fresh veggies just taste better, but frozen vegetables have almost all of the same nutrients. Same with frozen fruit.
I often get frozen vegetables because they won't go bad so I can wait a week before I feel like eating some asparagus, there's no veggie pressure.
If you don't notice the taste difference, go for it OP.
>>
>>37306825
They taste better.
>>
>>37306854

Aren't frozen veggies cooked before frozen so most of the nutrients are stripped?
>>
Doesn't matter one way or the other. Get fresh if you can afford it (for taste) or frozen if you can't.
>>
File: 1383873607351.jpg (17 KB, 240x312) Image search: [Google]
1383873607351.jpg
17 KB, 240x312
>>37306854
>veggie pressure
>>
>>37306867
No, they are actually flash freezed.
You just need to look what you are buying, most because lots of the veggi pans are indeed precooked. But it's usually easy to spot the difference.
>>
>>37306854
are you sure they don't lose nutrient value anon? I used to believe otherwise

post reference pls
>>
File: 1242597014946.jpg (2 MB, 2800x1600) Image search: [Google]
1242597014946.jpg
2 MB, 2800x1600
>Taste
>More nutrients and vitamins, much fuller fibre profile etc
>Sometimes cheaper

>>37306854
>>37306906
It depends on the vegetable and supplier but all vegetables lose some nutrient/vitamin profile during both freezing and reheating. Peas/beans and sweetcorn are two that have smaller loss and are both usually frozen pretty quickly after harvest and could be considered on-par with fresh, but everything else should always be chosen fresh if the option is there and nutrition is the goal.
>>
>>37306894
Seriously man. You've never had a bag of spinach and just thought, "man, I'd really rather have zucchini and squash and barley tonight, but if I don't use the spinach it is going to go bad"?
>>
>>37306902
>flash freezed.
They are blanched, then freezed.
>>
>>37306825
Learn to cook you lazy faggot, it just takes 5 minutes or less to chop veggies.
>>
>>37307310
>>37307103
>>37306906
Freezing Process
Vegetables are more likely to retain their nutritional value if they’re frozen immediately after being harvested. After harvesting, vegetables gradually lose moisture, and their starches and sugars begin to degrade. Vegetables that are intended for freezing are harvested at their peak of ripeness, which allows them to retain their nutrients during the freezing process. Before freezing, vegetables are washed, peeled if necessary and blanched. Blanching removes dirt, destroys enzymes that break down nutrients and preserves freshness by exposing vegetables briefly to scalding water or steam before freezing. Vegetables that are frozen right after harvesting may actually contain more of their original nutritional content than vegetables that endure cross-country transportation and a long period of storage before they reach your table.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/379533-do-frozen-vegetables-have-the-same-nutrition-as-fresh/
>>
The only thing I buy fresh are broccoli and asparagus. Saving money by buying frozen is also a plus.
>>
>>37307348
>Buying x instead of y, means that you are incapable of using y.

Kill yourself
>>
>>37307357
This is accurate but the conclusion is wrong. The conclusion is that the distance foods are transported matters most and you should always seek fresh local produce if possible. There's a reason farmers markets are still so popular.
>>
>>37307462
http://www.livestrong.com/article/447449-how-do-fruits-and-vegetables-lose-their-nutrients-after-picking/

it's summer so i'm not going to go out of my way being a tryhard sciencefag, in a perfect world everyone would have a natty gains garden, but sadly that isn't the case, frozen veg is a great cheap option. and combats what >>37307285 said . i had that exact conversation two days ago , when i have spinach i put that shit in everything because it goes bad so quickly
>>
File: 1459047004776.jpg (95 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1459047004776.jpg
95 KB, 600x800
>>37307103
>>37307357
>>37307462
thanks
>>
>>37307285
>not making a weekly meal plan before going to the grocery store
>>
>>37307673
>being an autist
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.