[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, so Joe Rogan will not shut the fuck up about his ketogenic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 6
File: roejogan.jpg (74 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
roejogan.jpg
74 KB, 600x400
Alright, so Joe Rogan will not shut the fuck up about his ketogenic diet, and he finally convinced me.

I need to lose about 50 pounds. I did this back in like 2012 by taking an EC stack, running my fucking balls off and really cutting my calories. Took me about 6 months.

I don't really want to go back on a bunch of stimulants, and I hear ketosis is the new thing for burning the fuck out of some fat.

I have plenty of muscle mass, I just have let myself go over the last year or so and slowly got out of the gym and boom now I'm almost 3 hundo.

How do I into ketosis? Are there any good meal plans out there? I suck at macros and it would be way easier to stick to a meal plan rather than calculate every god damn thing I eat.

Everyone I know who has actually done a ketogenic diet is a gigantic fat fuck who never exercises so I'm curious If I can still hit the gym while doing this.

I figure if I get into ketosis and hit the HIIT hard I can really shed the fat pretty quick, then get back to focusing on my lifts.

tl;dr Do you know of any reserouces for ketogenic diet planning that I don't have to go out and buy so I can start this shit
>>
>>37294292

enjoy you're cancer
>>
/r/keto
>>
>>37294292

Hey OP, I found and used lots of keto meal plans. They're on the Internet. I found them using Google. You can too.
>>
I ran keto for about 3 months back before it was such a well known thing.

In spite of the fact that I was eating leafy greens daily and supplementing with fiber, I probably took a shit like 10 times in those three months.

It was hell.
>>
>listening to a walking talking meme nootropics salesman
>>
THE WEED HAS BEEN LIT
>>
DUDE LOOK AT HOW RIPPED THAT CHIMP IS, HE WOULD SNAP YOUR DICK OFF LIKE A CELERY STALK
>>
>>37294632
instructions unclear, dick stuck in google
>>
Im currently on keto right now, as you can guess Joe didnt stfu about it so here i am.
I've lost about 10lbs in the first two weeks from just cutting out all sugars, and breads and shit.
Its sucks to not to be able to eat some of your favourite foods, but i found once im full,l im full and satisfied.
You can eat steaks or chicken everyday, Smash some asparagus, brusselsprouts,broccoli.
>>
I like the podcast, but man I wish he'd stop pretending he's a comedian.
>>
>>37294292
I did this diet and it does work. I would have continued but I felt you shitty without the carbs. The worst by far were my headaches. I'm pretty sure my headaches were just me, not many ppl normally suffer like this on keto.
>>
>>37294292
anon, im fairly new to dieting, I'm on my 6th week of cutting. I started out with keto, was working good. Easy upkeep with chicken/eggs/tuna and brocolli/spinach/kale. Whatever healthy fats you want closes the gap in calories. I went from 280 and now I'm 260.

Truthfully I think MFP, intermittent fasting and breaking apart the frequency to 3-5 hours between meals are helping me more than being on keto. I started bringing in healthy carbs with them micronutrients only, into the mix just making sure I enter their calories. I won't be touching breads, but if I need a meal, fruits or oatmeal. I still haven't broken out of keto just from having a banana either. I'm just being careful with the kind of carb I eat.

The IF mode keeps me full. Eating with time gaps controls that gluttony/binge attitude I had. Counting cals, guarantees I'll still lose weight. Eating micro-nutrient dense foods, makes me feel better physically and mentally.

I'm still iffy about eating more carbs, but I think there are still valuable foods that I can't ignore. I suspect Joe is VERY super strict about his diet and exercise, so when he talks about keto helping him? His diet was probably somewhat shit before he went on keto.
>>
anon buy some soy sauce/pickle juice, potassium, and magnesium supplements
>>
>>37297735
i assume those are electrolyte sources?

i heard this a lot, any particular reason anon?
>>
>>37294535
>enjoy, you are cancer

Accidentally made sense
>>
>>37297804

with less insulin release, the body actually loses a ton of sodium, so higher intake is needed. potassium and magnesium supplements are a good idea in general since it's hard to get those on a low-carb diet
>>
>>37295413
Weird, I've been eating leafy greens daily in ketosis for two years and I take two glorious shits a day like clockwork.

It's amazing.
>>
>>37297248
The headaches occur because you're getting over body's sugar addiction. If you didn't get past the headache point then you probably never successfully made it into ketosis
>>
>>37297845

you don't get a lot of necessary vitamins and minerals on a keto diet 2bh
>>
>>37297845
WAAD

Whole Avocado A Day

Potassium problem: solved.
>>
>>37297934
great source but avocados are relatively expensive per fruit and will continue to get more expensive
>>
>>37297934

you can also use lite salt, most of which are comprised of 50% salt, 50% potassium chloride.
>>
File: 1401812694271.jpg (81 KB, 612x534) Image search: [Google]
1401812694271.jpg
81 KB, 612x534
>>37297929
>you don't get a lot of necessary vitamins and minerals on a keto diet 2bh

That's like saying you don't get nutrients from any diet containing carbs because Mountain Dew and Hot Pockets are the only foods you can eat.
>>
>>37297980
>bulk salts are the cheapest way to get magnesium and potassium
>>
>>37297989

okay, prove me wrong

put the food you typically eat in a day into: https://cronometer.com/

then take a screenshot and post here

>>37298017

they are aren't they?
>>
>>37298024
yeah they are. Watch out though, you can actually overdose and then fuck up your other electrolyte levels
>>
>>37297913
Dunno. I truly did get results though and got them quickly. Keto does work. The headaches started 2 to 4 weeks in. I might give it another go. Maybe I did something wrong. I did log every meal and made sure to keep my carbs low and my fats high.
>>
>>37297132
>lost 10lb in a week

How fucking fat are you?
>>
>>37298024
>have to sign up
Too much work
>>
>>37294292
hop on a EC stack again it really helps a lot with keto due to it killing your appetite. As for meals when i was doing ketosis my meals usually consisted of protein (eggs, chicken, fish, steak) and avacados. It was actually pretty easy for to get into it and I did it for about a month got some pretty good results.
>>
>>37298082

Hmm...
*beep*
*beep*
*beep*
Oh that? Don't worry that just my bullshit detector, it's probably just playing up again haha ignore it

Confirmed for not getting enough vitamins and minerals
>>
>>37294292
http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
>>
>>37298065
it's water weight
>>
>>37297979
i live in ohio and avocados are 99 cents. even double that is doable and cheaper than a lot of other food choices.
>>
File: devilish.jpg (201 KB, 470x595) Image search: [Google]
devilish.jpg
201 KB, 470x595
>keto turns out to actually not be bullshit
>don't tell anyone
>>
>>37298291

that's bretty expensive desu
>>
>>37297248
Lots of people get the headaches and so called 'keto flu', it can last a week and tolerances vary. Some people have a harder time getting into and staying in ketosis, others can be less strict. Sometimes it takes some time to get it right.
>>
I was on it for a month or so. I lost quite a bit of weight but then plateaued and couldn't break through it.

There's only so many carbs you can eliminate. There's only so few carbs you can eat without feeling like shit and needing nutrients.

Even a handful of salad leaves was too much. It was so frustrating, not losing ANY weight for weeks at a time, despite eating sub-2000 calories and mostly fat with not too much protein.

I'd say try it, but I think people talking about being able to break through plateaus are talking shit. Unless you do exercise at the same time I suppose. My keto was 100% diet, 0% exercise.

Interestingly enough, after eating anything I want and too many carbs after coming off the diet, I haven't seen any weight gain at all, and in fact my fat seems more loose and smaller. I'm convinced that the diet fixed insulin sensitivity and anything negative that comes with a very high carb diet.

I recommend keto for everyone, every once in a while.
>>
I did it for a week, lost 3kg in that week on a 1000 calorie deficit, I do go out cycling everyday, and dude you won't have energy for nothing, before I started keto and actually had some carbs while dieting I had energy to do my usual 20-30km courses, but on keto I was fucked on half of what I did, it's nice if you aren't doing any exercice, but if you are, you probably won't have energy for shit.
>>
>>37294292

keto is really hard. like really really hard.

expect to be miserable, weak, ill, run down, you name it. if you get past the first 4 days you've already done better than 96% of the people who do it.
>>
>>37298434

So what's the reason for not eating carbs then?

I thought it was meant to stop hunger cravings :o
>>
>>37298445
Your body preferentially uses carbs for fuel. Without carbs, it must use fat for fuel. That's basically the logic of it.
>>
>>37298445
once your body gets off the carbs it looks for alternate fuel sources. If you're eating mostly fat, it assumes fat is your fuel and bam.
>>37298394
yeah, I am getting back in the gym and I expect to be able to break plateaus bretty easily
>>37298349
I've read about that, it's mostly just getting over the sugar addiction.
>>
Did Keto for a couple of months. It was pretty good and I felt good. The mental clarity especially was the biggest thing for me.
But after a while I just became so sick of only eating eggs, meat and vegies.
It's probably one best ways to eat. But, we're not robots, we're human. And restricting yourself so much starts to eat at your soul.
>>
>>37298581
and I should add, now I just do intermittent fasting. It's a much more manageable diet
>>
The keto diet isn't very sustainable long term unless you planning on eating keto for the rest of your life. It's overly restrictive: basically no fruits, sugar, carbs, etc. unless you plan on going the rest of your life without ever eating another banana or piece of bread, you'll just gain back weight when you reintroduce those foods into your diet. Spend some time browsing reddit and see how many have lost weight and regained it. It's because going on a "diet" like keto doesn't create life time habits unless you eat that way forever. It doesn't promote portion control or clean eating. Keto is basically about losing weight while still eating shitty food like cheeseburgers and sausage with a stick of butter every day. Maybe you'll lose weight, but if you take a break from the diet and are still eating cheeseburgers and sausage with a stick of butter every day, you'll gain it back quickly.

Fruits and vegetables are good for you, the provide essential vitamins and minerals that are difficult to get on a ketogenic diet. Personally, a diet that tells me not to eat fruits and to eat fried bacon and whipped cream instead is not appealing to me. I would rather eat natural foods and maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight (which I did, successfully) than food that will make me feel like shit afterwards.
>>
Joe is gonna have a heart attack from keto and roids. I can't wait
>>
File: JOEY DIAZ BITCH.jpg (42 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
JOEY DIAZ BITCH.jpg
42 KB, 235x235
>>37298669

this cocksucka is gonna have a heart attack way before Joe
>>
>>37297913

>starving yourself from essential nutrients gives you headaches

>dude no its lik a durg addiction trust me rogan said it lol glucose is a conspiracy
>>
>>37294292
Really OP the success with keto based diets is the severe reduction in sugar dependency. If you eat clean as fuck, and ONLY eat slow carbs you will get similar results with a high protein intake.
>>
>>37295413
Same.
Tried it out for 2 months with loads of greens, but i was taking a shit like every 4 days.
>>
>>37298434
It's harder for some than others. Depends where you start from, what your diet is already like, how sensitive you are. I stepped down. Eliminated white starchy carbs, then sugar, then residual starchy stuff over a timed period of weeks. Each step was hard and I has symptoms like headaches and muscle aches but when they passed after a few days each time, it was fine. I assume if you took a donut eating 'Dew chugging carb freak down to a very low carb diet in one whack he'd be very miserable for a couple of weeks straight though!
>>
File: 1345598622282.jpg (871 KB, 1126x1001) Image search: [Google]
1345598622282.jpg
871 KB, 1126x1001
here
>>
>>37298658
I think a keto jump start to get off processed sugar and junk carbs then switch to a balanced slow carb, more balanced and whole food diet is a viable thing. I have a wheat allergy so I pretty naturally do lower carb but agree that a ton of saturated fats in a diet is just as unbalanced as any other extreme.
>>
>>37294292
>I just have let myself go over the last year or so and slowly got out of the gym and boom now I'm almost 3 hundo.

yeahhhhh buddy that's how you do it

lightweight baby

this magic diet will literally turn your in jo brogan master of broscience and basketballs
>>
>>37294292
Putting your body into ketosis is as old as the Atkins phase 1 'induction', stage it's not some new thing. It works for some, is hell for others. Usually not sustainavle unless as a life plan as others have stated but useful as a way to ditch sugar and carbs.
>>
>>37299439
>>37294292

4real tho listen to the podcast with kyle kingsbury

i believe he's the guy who got rogan to try keto diet, he knows a lot about it as well and was a fun podcast to listen to
>>
>>37297650
>His diet was probably somewhat shit

no he eats kale on the dailee bro he's super healthy and he does ju jutsu once a month and taekwondoe once a week and he does the kettleballs
>>
Did keto for roughly 3 months
>pros
you will loose fat and build muscle, it's like steroids
mental clarity, I was focused as fuck on whatever I was doing (school,job)
acne disappears (my personal fav)
best sleep ever
all the eggs and bacon you want
hunger goes away, I went an entire day without eating without realizing it
testosterone increases, erections like no other
more energy throughout the day

>cons
First couple of days suck
Literally having dreams about bread
Hard to stick with if you go out to eat
Electrolytes
Metallic breath
Your urine smells funny
High testosterone (horny 24/7) it's a con for me because no gf

Give it a try op. Once you get past the adaptation phase you're set. Don't be afraid to have a cheat day but only after a month or so of you have one too early you'll have temptations to stop
>>
>>37298394
>My keto was 100% diet, 0% exercise.

>does 0% exercise
>wonders why he hits a plateau

how about there's only so much weight you can eliminate through dieting? you ever though about that you stupid fat cunt
>>
>>37299439
>this magic diet will literally turn your in jo brogan master of broscience and basketballs

I think you might be having a stroke. Do you taste ice cream?
>>
>>37299407
Where do McGriddles fall on that chart?
>>
>>37299485
I'm not saying I idolize the guy, I just listen to his podcast. I drive a lot for work and I listen to podcasts to pass the time from jobsite to jobsite.

His is like 3 hours long so it's a good pick.
>>
>>37299501
How does the raised testosterone affect women, the same? More horny would be a fun trade off for bread.
>>
>>37298313
Compared to meat and any fast food? Are you high? Nutrient dense non-local food is always more expensive, do you even grocery for unprocessed food? Fruit? Herbs? Same deal.
>>
I don't see the purpose of cutting out an entire macronutrient when you could just as easily move a little more and eat a little more for the same net effect.
>>
>>37299667
If you like long podcasts there are some great history ones floating around.
>>
>>37298421
I always read the opposite . That you're full of energy while being in ketosis. Though you did it for only a week and I think there's some period where you have to adjust to it.

Though honestly I don't know who to believe because I feel that a lot of keto supporters are really preachy.
>>
>>37299773
I mostly stick to comedy but I dig history. what do you recommend?

I regularlylisten to:
nerdist
penn's sunday school
joe rogan
wtf
you made it weird
stuff you should know
this american life
cashing in with tj miller
beautiful anonymous
ten minute podcast
smodcast
and the todd glass show
>>
>>37299807
Dan Carlins hardcore history is probably the most polished starting point and it covers many topics.

From there you can branch out into areas that you personally prefer.

Comedy wise there is a duo Hamish and Andy from Australia who have a pretty good pod.
>>
>>37299733
Being more horny strangely made me more comfortable around them. Like I just stopped caring what they thought about me and only cared about fucking them. Plus being more mentally cleared help with our conversations, making them laugh and keeping the conversation going was much easier and natural.
>>
Just recently did keto. I did it for about weeks took a week off and now starting again.

Pros
I cut fat like crazy
I was able to think better
Boner lasts forever as other anon said.
Felt better/happier
Slept better
Felt full longer
Felt very well rested with little sleep

Cons
I sweat so fucking much.
Always drinking water
Salt on everything still no water retention.
Cardio was doable but hard, military so always running. First 5mile run on it was hell, got better though as my body got used to it.
Hard to stay strict on the diet while out and about so meal prep was an utter must.

Overall I like it a lot though. The feeling of not being tired all the time was great. I can drink water only so I'm fine there. I didn't use a multivitamin while doing it idk what that would add or take away. I balanced my diet with steak/fish/chicken. Asparagus,spinach,broccoli, and mushrooms. Alternating veggies with different meats. Cooked with a shit ton of olive oil and butter/coconut butter. Using a prworkout,whey, and fish oil as only sups.
>>
>>37299407
Peas and beans are legumes and belong on the bottom, btw, replace with stuff like cauliflower, bell pepper. Too many bananas and oranges are too much carb, I'd eliminate the whole bottom row and add mixed veg salads and more low carb veg like aparagus, summer squashes. Also, where's the Steak? Just my 2 cents.
I know y'all like your oats and brown rice and beans but for 1500 cal low carb diet for this chick, nope, no thanks.
>>
>>37299950
I have animal stack here at the house for my multi, as far as the water and salt, I can definitely make sure I can enough salt in my diet just from food, so I don't know why everyone thinks that's such a big deal?

I don't eat a ton of salt as it is, but I can definitely up my intake.
>>
>>37299950
What whey are you using? Should I avoid artificial sweeteners and go with unflavored whey?
>>
>>37299968
have you tried keto?

if you're not an obese fat fuck you would notice that water retention is almost 0 when you're on ketosis, meaning you lose size and some strength
>>
>>37300011
no I have not.

I'm not worried about losing the size and strength right now.

Right now is literally just getting fat off of me. Everything else can come after, I'm patient.
>>
>>37300008
I tried to stay below 20g carbs at all times. 30 at max. Most whey doesn't have too many carbs. I used jyms cookie crunch and dymatize chocolate something. I wouldn't recommend the latter tastes pretty bad. Just make sure your diet accounts for the whey carbs and you'll be good. I usually drank 2 a day just to make sure I was meeting my proton req.
>>
>>37298349
What can be done to ease the headache? Pills don't work for me in these headaches. Do I just wait it out then?
>>
>>37300101
I have some carnivor that needs to get drunk.

it just tastes so fucking bad.
>>
>>37300104
mct oil
>>
>>37300011
When I did it I felt a little weaker but not so much so that it killed me. I was taking a prewar out with creatine and still just sweat none stop
>>
>>37300109
See I am thinking of switching to paleo and I was actually wondering about carnivore so that disheartening me a little. I feel like paleo is a good alternative to keto for a overall health change. So will see how that goes after this next cycle of keto.
>>
>>37300050
>I'm patient
If you were patient you would take the time to lose the weight with a good diet and no loss of gains.
Why are people always looking for a magic bullet?
>>
>>37300151
It may have just been the flavor I got. Vanilla Caramel or some shit like that.

If I take some powdered peanut butter and mix it together it's alright, granted this is mixed with water because milk tears my shit up. (the reason I bought it in the first place)
>>
>>37300157
I'm not looking for a magic bullet.

I'm tired of being tired.
I have a kid on the way.
Everyone i've heard talk about this shit talks about feeling fucking amazing after powering through it, and I'm going to be getting 0 sleep come August, so you can fuck right off with that shit.
>>
>>37300008
Use low carb isopure
>>
>>37299793
you will definitely see some strength losses. i'm down 20lbs on bench, 10lbs on OHP and 50lbs on squat.

also creatine will be useless on keto since you need carbs to saturate your muscles with it

i had to cut dramatically (and I didn't mind losing more strength on my squat because my legs were way too big for my build) so you prolly won't lose as much strength as i did
>>
>>37300169
Yea no milk on keto it's like per cup half your carb intake. I used pecans as my snack food. As long as your willing to weigh and portion carbs you'll be good.
>>
Enjoy having fuck-all energy and losing literally all of your gains.
>>
>>37300180
Why not just abandon your wife and kid that way you will be able to get sleep
>>
>>37294292
> I need to lose
>>
>>37300197
I wish I had that issue my legs don't want to grow no matter what I do. Probably all the cardio I'm forced to do.
>>
>>37300157
>no loss of gains
m8 I've made more gains on keto than ever before. The "loss" you're talking about is just water. I'm much leaner and vascular
>>
>>37300227
I hadn't thought of that.

Nevermind guys. I got it.
>>
>>37300223
You're a dumb. I was able to put on muscle and cut fat on keto. It all depends on how much you're willing to pay attention to you diet and macros.
>>
If you're a lifter that wants to cut fat, I think a CKD is a bit superior. Basically its just cycling between a day or 2 of carbing up and then going keto the rest of the time.

Trying to lift while on a caloric deficit AND no carbs is fucking rough, maybe its just cause im a fat fuck ( i'm down from 273 to 239 in 7 weeks ), and i've tried the pure keto thing and man i'm just absolutely drained at the gym, but when I have a weekend of carbing up at like maintenance or something, the next week or two is much easier to deal with.

Only shitty part when you're dropping weight is that as soon as you carb up you put on 5-10 lbs but its all water weight that goes away so w/e
>>
>>37300232
wasn't hard to have strong legs when you were as heavy as me, now that i'm down to a normal person weight i guess i couldn't maintain squatting 4pl8 anymore

it's kinda shitty. 3pl8 for reps feels hard now, which is really embarrassing to me mentally. bench and OHP are still decently strong after a month on, but i can tell i'm slowly losing more strength.

245 >> 202 atm
>>
>>37300252
But the big thing is how you look bro. Assuming now you already feel like your looking better so. I'd take a bit of an ego hit for the confidence that I am looking better.
>>
>>37300282
with clothes on I look better, yeah

used to be 300lbs so i'm never gonna look too good with clothes off, though
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.