[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fish Oil- Good or Bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: truth-about-fish-oil-main_0.jpg (15 KB, 594x395) Image search: [Google]
truth-about-fish-oil-main_0.jpg
15 KB, 594x395
I've been doing a lot of research on fish oil capsules and I can't seem to find any kind of consensus.

>"they are a placebo!!"
>"they are the holy grail of health!"
>"PROSTATE CANCER DO NOT TAKE"

You guys generally seem to know what's up with supps. Should I keep shelling out money on buying these pills? I just want a healthy heart and brain.
>>
No.

All supplements are snake oil.

Fish oil is practically literally snake oil.
>>
>>37274995
e-even multivitamins? and st. john's wort?
>>
>>37275007
ESPECIALLY multivitimins. You are pissing it all out.
>>
I think they essentially do nothing but I take them anyway because I don't eat seafood.
>>
>>37274995
Retard alert
>>
File: 1.jpg (22 KB, 456x384) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
22 KB, 456x384
Just read about omega 3 fat acids and deside yourself. I think its healthy asf.
>>
>>37274995
I doubt agree with that. My skin and hair have been much better since I started taking multivitamins and minerals. I get sick less often too.
>>
File: 994.png (177 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
994.png
177 KB, 460x460
>>37274995
armchair doctor trying to disprove facts, pls go kill urself
>>
>>37275034

There's no proof of that. None, zero, zilch. I've researched this thoroughly because I have an interest in this and multivitamins are fully absorbed into the body. Stop spreading the lie that they don't work.
>>
>>37274995
>>37275034
>>37275035
These guys are either trolling, or haven't read the sticky.
>>
>>37275037

I'm sorry if you may have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on this useless shit, but I promise it's a waste of time.

The only supplement worth considering is protein powder if you can't get enough from meats.
>>
>>37274985
Depends.
Fish oil pills can contain differet stuff. Myself I use powdered capsules omega 3-6-9.
Works wonders for your BP and heart rate. Improved my endurance by a massive leap in two months.
>>
>>37275061
>read the sticky.

The sticky says multivitamins are a go! From the sticky:

Vitamins & minerals

Micronutrients are nutrients your body needs in small quantities, like vitamins and minerals.

The recommended daily allowance (RDA) is a reasonable baseline for most vitamins and minerals, but keep in mind that it is a minimum value for preventing nutrient deficiency, not the optimal amount for the best possible health or performance, and does not take into account the most up-to-date research. As a result, taking a multivitamin supplement that gives you a flat 100% RDA dose is not necessarily the best way to go, but it is a reasonable and conservative way to cover any deficiencies in your diet.

Keep in mind that men will want a multivitamin without iron, while women will want one with iron. In fact, 11% of women between the ages of 20 to 49 have an iron deficiency.

One supplement that is extremely beneficial and backed up by a ton of scientific evidence is Omega-3 fatty acids, most commonly supplemented through fish oil. If there is one supplement that everyone should take, this is it. Don't focus on total mg of fish oil; instead, take enough fish oil to get a total of approximately 720mg of EPA and 480mg of DHA a day. If you're in North America, the Kirkland Signature brand is going to give you the best bang for your buck.

Another is Vitamin D[1][2][3][4][5]. Vitamin D is created by the body naturally when it is exposed to sunlight, so if you don't live in an area with a lot of sun, chances are you’re deficient in it. Supplementing with Vitamin D strengthens bones, prevents cancer, and raises testosterone levels, and most Vitamin D supplements are fairly cheap, as well.
>>
One of the major news channels had a doctor come on and give a big speech about how essentially you dont need any multi vitamins.. as I guess this fish oil would be lumped into that statement. He suggested that since you live in a 1st world nation the ability for a pill to help your vitamin needs is minimal at best, and too much could kill you. So unless you been in jail for a long time, have a shitty diet.. and he means a really shitty diet... avoid, they are useless.

>>
>>37275123
>1st world nation
>not having a shitty diet

I mean there's a reason some many countries in the west are suffering from obesity.
>>
>>37275123
>Network news

Are you really this retarded?
>>
The only supplement I have had so far that really made a big difference is Glucosamine.

My joints went from feeling fatigued often due to work and lifting, to feeling fantastic all day every day.

Fish oil, vitamin D, creatine... I take them all but none have had a marked effect on my life like glucosamine has.

But that said, test-e is the best supp I take :)
>>
>>37275155
>Glucosamine.
>joints

My joint usually feel fine. So I wouldn't benefit from taking it? It's only for joint pain?
>>
>>37275155
SHILL ALERT
mods what are you doing
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 319x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 319x400
/fraud/ here, the first time i tried masteron i almost immediately got all kinds of tendon issues, could barely do anything so i dropped mast, later i tried tren and started getting similiar issues, searched relentlessly on many bodybuilder boards until i found a post by a guy saying he had similiar and started taking fish oil multiple times per day, i tried it and almost immediately all issues went away, even added mast back in and have never had tendon problems since
I am now a firm believer
>>
>>37274985
Try it yourself, see if it helps.

I take a multivitamin and a fish oil daily. I take them during a meal. Like I eat half a meal, take them, finish my meal. This could just be bs, but I notice a difference in how I feel, and how quick I recover from workouts. I think taking them during meals helps your body extract what it can.

I have maybe not the best diet, am pretty sedentary, and dont get a lot of sun on my own. So that could be why I feel better taking them. Or its a placebo.

Just be yourself.
>>
>>37274985
Go to a fucking research site like examine.com and read the damn studies yourself.

There's decent evidence for the Omega-3's in fish oil helping out your heart and brain. I'm taking them because I have a family history of heart disease and want any edge I can get in staying healthy.

If you notice a difference taking a supplement it's 99% chance that it's placebo-- if these compounds did anything provably useful you can bet your ass they'd be patented and sold as real medicine.

That said, there are a couple of weird exceptions; 5-HTP is proven to convert to serotonin in the brain and therefore has psychoactive effects. I'm surprised it's not banned as an illegal drug like everything else fun.
>>
PUFAs, including fish oil, slow your metabolism. Slower metabolism is a good thing if your diet is shit, because high metabolism requires lots of nutrients. Bad diet + high metabolism -> problems. Bad diet + low metabolism -> less problems, but likely to get cancer later in life. Positive results of fish oil in studies likely come from that, they slow metabolism w/ is therapeutic when person in undernourished.

Of course best option is to have high metabolism and lots of nutrients, and fish oil doesnt fit that package.
>>
>>37276107
>5-HTP is proven to convert to serotonin in the brain and therefore has psychoactive effects
Do you know much about 5-HTP?

I've just started taking it and not sure if it's having much of an effect. I've read to take it with l-theanine.

Apparently it can cause serotonin in the body, where it's not meant to be, or something?
>>
>>37275078
>Works wonders for your boypussy
what?
>>
>>37274985
I take vitamins A-Z daily and the difference is mostly not feeling like death on a flu
As in I could go to the gym on a flu since I take vitamins (tho I wouldn't cause I don't want to infect anyone and my lifts would deload, but I'd be alive enough to move weight, before I was bedridden on a flu)

Fish oil eh, I'm not sure, I supplemented it (twice a day) when trying to lose weight but I was eating at a defecit so it's hard to say if Fish Oil really sped up the process

Basically, if you don't eat fish once a week or so, supplementing fish oil can't hurt.

Difference between medicine and poison is always dosage tho
>>
File: 0b4.jpg (42 KB, 453x576) Image search: [Google]
0b4.jpg
42 KB, 453x576
>>37274995
>practically literally
>>
File: 1417139402529.jpg (5 KB, 134x183) Image search: [Google]
1417139402529.jpg
5 KB, 134x183
>>37276244
>>
>>37275052
Nobody is disputing that they don't work. THey're disputing whether they're necessary in the first place.
>>
>>37274985
OK OP, here's the facts.
>Do you need them?
Depends. Do you not eat properly? If you're deficient in something, take the vitamin or capsule. If you eat decent food, then you probably don't need them. In most cases, the price you pay for them could go towards getting some decent food.

>This one guy on /fit/ told me...
Tell them to shut the fuck up if you apply a logic check and they're found wanting.

Seriously, OP, you generally don't need supplements if you eat properly. If you don't eat properly, then although you can stave off the effecs with shit like this, it's probably better in the long run to just fix your diet. The retards on this board don't seem to get that. Don't be like them. Diet is important.
>>
>>37274985
Dude it's just omega3 fat acids
You can get these in so many foods
your body is able to build any omega3 acid out of another omega3 fat acid
you can't however build omega3 out of 6/9 or the other way around
Does your body need them? Hell yeah
Does your body need them in high doses? Hell no
Can you harm yourself? Yes, if you take them with too mich vitamine D for example or other fat-soluble vitamins it might cause a overdose
>>
>>37276618
>Can you harm yourself? Yes, if you take them with too mich vitamine D for example or other fat-soluble vitamins it might cause a overdose
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>37276669
It's pretty easy actually
As fat-soluble vitamins are not able to get pissed out, your body has no way of getting rid of them
they will get stored no matter what
in order to use them your body needs omega fat acids
so taking a high dose of both of them will lead to an overdose
I'm German so sorry for the lack of scientific english explanation
>>
>>37274985
As long as you take it with a spoon, and not in a pussy capsule, it's good for you. The capsule gives you cancer.
>>
>>37276826
I'm taking 6 x 1000mg of fish oil a day plus 5000 of vitamin d.

Am I kill, Phil?

>>37276826
>I'm German
Post that sweet Aryan boipussy please, bro.
>>
>>37276853
omega3 should be 0,5% of your daily kilojoule intake
omega6 should be 2,5%
you can do the math yourself even tho I'd say considering you eat a normal diet the amount of n-3 is too high
vitamin d is fine
both are not needed when exposed to sun or healthy diet

>Am I kill, Phil?
My name's actually Philip
>>
been using fish oil for 10+ years
Fucking works but you DO need a high epa+dha level for it to produce noticeable results (at least 3-4g total a day)
That means either like 10-15 normal caps or just get a high potency liquid
>>
>>37276164
5-HTP is fairly subtle, serotonin isn't a "fun" neuotransmitter like dopamine, adrenaline, etc.

Serotonin helps you remain calm when under pressure. If you have too much serotonin you'll start to feel.... not quite sleepy, not quite lethargic, but sort of tranquil... and also nauseous. If you feel nausea you've taken too much and you're close to having Serotonin Syndrome which is a medical emergency-- you'll feel feverish and SUPER FUCKING NAUSEOUS and then you'll have to go to the hospital, so don't go crazy with the stuff just because its an OTC supplement.

5-HTP DOES get converted into serotonin ALL ACROSS THE BODY and this is BAD. But I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're poppin' pills on the daily. Idk if it's because of that, or because your body naturally has varying levels of serotonin throughout the day, but some days the pills feel like they have more of a kick than others.

The stuff I got came in 100mg pills, and usually that gets me feeling a tiny bit of nausea, but there have been a couple times where I took 2 pills and didn't feel sick and one day when I took one pill I felt kinda shitty and had to lie down. If you can I'd try to get 25 or 50mg pills for better dose control.

My current theory is that Serotonin is a modulating transmitter-- it keeps you in check when you're over-stimulated (i.e. excited/anxious) and also helps let your body know when you've had enough and its time to stop doing whatever.
>>
>>37275161
from Wikipedia:
"...glucosamine is a precursor for glycosaminoglycans, and glycosaminoglycans are a major component of cartilage"

basically, it gives your body what it needs to build/rebuild cartilage.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.