[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5x5 Strong lifts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: baby-weight-lifter_1328563647.jpg (45 KB, 600x356) Image search: [Google]
baby-weight-lifter_1328563647.jpg
45 KB, 600x356
I'm starting day 1 on my 5x5 StrongLifts routine tomorrow. /fit/izens who is doing or did 5x5, what results did you see? Did you like the program or do you recommend a different program?
>>
Great starter program. Follow the program as suggested, don't try to improvise shit. Get the official stronglifts app for your phone, and the unlock pack for it. $10 is worth it if you're not a total poorfag. Add in the assistance exercises that you can manage now.

You're going to see your workouts as a joke for the first bit if you are starting with the bar (45 lbs). You will consider trying to do more sets/reps. Don't. Do. This. Do 5x5, enjoy it while it's a cake walk, and focus on technique and breathing.

Try to follow the system of eventually moving to 3x5 when you starting failing on 5x5 3 exercises in a row. I think the general consensus is that when you hit a 225 squat, you can look into moving on from the program.
>>
>>37273552
It's a great beginners program. It'll tell you to start with the bar on everything which I don't think is necessary though (starting from the bar means it will literally take you a minimum of two months to hit lmao1pl8 on the bench which is just excessive). Instead you should probably just estimate a weight that you can easily do 5x5 on for each exercise.
>>37273824
I'm 5 months in and my squat is at 265 3x3, so I'm 40 pounds past there and I've still got one deload left. Definitely would not recommend stopping the program until you stall at 1x3
>>
>>37273552
Why it's bad:
1. Not tailored to the individual
2. A lot of volume
3. Too much squatting vs other lifts
4. Starts with bar

Why it's good:
1. Simple
2. You learn technique and -learn- to lift
3. Builds a strong base

Do it a few months and hop on something else when more experienced
>>
>>37274276
listen to him
i did the same thing and what i got was massive thighs and ass
your upper body will look like shit but its ok your bench should be decent enough to move onto a different program
>>
>>37274733
It is made to build a good Base strength.
Not aesthetics. But you can easily just mix some 3x8 curls and 2x10 ab pulldowns into it and switch it for one Set of squats, to get more aesthetics.
>>
I went from 5x5 squat ever time to alternating 5x5 and then 3x5, with the 3x5 day adding 3x8 barbell curls, only thing I really thought needed tweak
>>
>>37274276
What other programs would you recommend after sl?
>>
>>37276264
so, you would do 5x5 M and F, 3x5 W with assistance work added? that sounds like a good compromise. I was on SL, felt the volume was too much so I switched to GreySkull lp, but started going extra sets anyway so I'm doing 5x5 as it is. I'm thinking about switching back to SL, but fuck squatting three days a week, especially at 5x5. I'd rather OHP/Bench and Deadlift three days a week. Twice a week for squat seems to be enough, idk.
>>
>>37273552

Start with http://fitsticky.com/starting-strength instead.
Later you can move on to a version with added accessories or another novice program http://fitsticky.com/novice-programs
There's also a lot of info on that page that will help you considerably, so give it a look.
>>
>>37278435
Is there any reason why ss is better?

I've heard all the stuff about volume but it kinda seems stupid
>>
>>37278435
what do I do if I'm mid intermediate on squat/deadlift and still novice on bench?
>>
>>37278435
No. Oly lifts for a beginner is stupid and dangerous. SL is better. Also, you don't need to buy a book to get all the info you need. It's all on stronglifts.com. Get with the times Trappy.
>>
File: 1427756638572.jpg (379 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1427756638572.jpg
379 KB, 2560x1440
So what's recommended to go to after 5x5 is not giving gains?
>>
>>37279422
Intermediate programs such as Madcow Texas method or ppl
>>
File: Mike Tuchscherer 335kg Squat.webm (758 KB, 370x400) Image search: [Google]
Mike Tuchscherer 335kg Squat.webm
758 KB, 370x400
>>37279422

http://fitsticky.com/intermediate-programs

>>37279175

You can mix SS with TM. It's what Rip does for the people he trains, generally. TM for the lifts you can't progress on every workout anymore, SS for the rest.

>>37279098

http://desustorage.org/fit/thread/37182224/#37202848

>>37279262

Nice meme.
>>
>>37276425
Fierce 5 Upper/lower routine was great for me.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.