[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LAT GAINS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: xpjfk2d.jpg (46 KB, 634x476) Image search: [Google]
xpjfk2d.jpg
46 KB, 634x476
hey guys, dont come here often but i do workout, wondering what the best types of workouts for lat gains, i do a lot for back but i want to have larger lats and i'm not sure what to do

i can do like 5 pull ups for 3 sets but idk if that helps

can post pics if that helps
>>
Weighted pull ups, lat pull down, straight arm pull downs with cable machine, and pull overs with dumbbell. Have fun.
>>
File: dumbbell_pull_over.jpg (11 KB, 320x370) Image search: [Google]
dumbbell_pull_over.jpg
11 KB, 320x370
>>37266352
is wider grip pull up better worse?

also is pic related the pull overs? (i thought they were for tricep, do they work both muscles)?

thanks alot anyway fampai
>>
>>37266352
also

>straight arm pull downs

would you rec doing these with a bar or with handles on the cable machine? ive done it with a bar before but not sure which one is better/if it makes a diff
>>
>>37266448
Use the lat pull down machine with the lat pull down bar that most likely is already clipped in. Start grip shoulder width apart, maybe a little closer, then play with wide/narrow grip when you get a hold of it.
>>
>>37266332
do at least 50 pullups each workout.

V
O
L
U
M
E
>>
>>37266352
>>37266403
Pullovers train chest not lats wtf. You can also make them isolate triceps instead if you allow your elbows to bend
>>
>>37266858
can you rec any lat exercises or are pulldowns/pull ups and striaght arm pulldowns the best?

any recommendations on these workouts?

thanks
>>
I just used the Lat pulldown machine for the first time in my life yesterday. I've been lifting for 3.5 years, first time using a machine. Did 4 sets of 8 with 195lbs, shit was intense.

willperformexerciseagain/10
>>
>Go to gym for first time
>sit on lat machine backwards
a chad set me straight though.
>>
>>37266905
>machine
nah, free weights b
>>
>>37266875
underhanded heavy barbell rows are great too. Try to do a lot of pause work too.
I think pullovers work the serratus anterior which adds mass to the general area but not to the lats per se
>>
>>37266921
machines have their place newfren
>>
>>37266403
i always read that this exercise is shit and can fuck you up for minimal gains.
>>
>>37266937
well i wont be doing it anytime soon lol, ive never need to do it

>>37266925
what is pause work?

all i need is new lat workouts just to increase their size or the best workouts that help that area increase
>>
>>37266403
depends on who you ask, but wide-grip pullups are a waste of time imo. doing neutral grip or supinated chin ups are da bess in my experience
>>
>>37266875
Pull ups are the king of lat exercises. The fact that you can only do 5 pull ups in a set means you're still a beginner. Keep doing pull ups every other day and gains will come. Honestly your don't need to do anything more than pulls ups at this point. Do rows as well to strength your mid back and it also hits lats add well. Deadlifts with good form also work the lats very well but you usually can't do multiple sets of them so you don't get the volume.
>>
T-bar row
>>
>>37266947
pause work means putting a pause in the exercise you're doing. Holding yourself at the top of a chin up for 2 seconds before letting yourself down, etc. Paused worked really kickstarts mass
>>
>>37266961
T bar row is more of an emphasis on the middle of the back though
>>
>>37266976
ah i get you, thanks alot i will try this

>>37266956
i'll add pull ups to my exercise for every other day thanks senpai

>>37266954
when i can do more pull ups i will find out which one gives me better gains, thanks
>>
>>37266956
>>37266875
Oh, try to aim for adding one pull up every workout. So first time you do 5,5,5 then next time try to do 5,5,6 then 5,6,6 and so on until your can do 8 reps across then start adding weight and keep doing 8 reps across. Alternatively keep going with bodyweight pull ups until 12,12,12 then decrease reps to 3x8 and add weight, this way you're not going to do weighed pull ups with lmao 5 pounds or some shit, you can probably start with 20 lb pull ups.
>>
File: 482508119.jpg (41 KB, 342x501) Image search: [Google]
482508119.jpg
41 KB, 342x501
>>37266905
>sits on lat machine backwards
fucking brandon
you're going to make it brah
>>
Not OP and i know its not lat related but is deadlift THE best exercise for back?

Is it worth going hard on this exercise and missing other exercises or going light and doing others?
>>
File: 465478_300.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
465478_300.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
>>37266332
I'd go with incline horizontal chest raises. They can be awkward and seem difficult at first, but they've helped me a great deal.
>>
>>37267057
going light on deadlifts is a waste of time, but it's not the best "back" exercise in the terms I assume you mean.
>>
>>37267057
Deadlifts work the entire the posterior chain very well, which includes the lower back. It doesn't work the mid and upper back as well as other exercises.

Deadlifts should be one of your staple exercises but it's tricky since they take a while to recover from. Good routines recognize this fact and have low volume for deadlifts, variant deadlifts, and/or infrequent deadlifts to compensate but when it's time to do them you never skip them.

Deadlifts also work the hamstrings and posterior chain a lot
>>
>>37266986
maybe if your form is wrong, you gotta pull through with your shoulders and then up with your elbows while keeping your arms close to your body
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvbjGSQ2tVE
>>
>>37267091
>Deadlifts also work the hamstrings and posterior chain a lot

Meant to delete that part, forgot I repeated it earlier
>>
>>37267073
what the fuck are those
>>
>>37267087
what would you say the best back exercises are?

>>37267091
should i mix up my rep amount etc each time i do deads?

if so could you rec me what you do/is a good routine

thanks
>>
>>37267369
For a beginner anything in the sticky will do, ss, sl, reg parks, ICF. For an intermediate i recommend Candito's 6 week program
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.