[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Military Combat Fitness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: vbk-05-india-china_1642864g.jpg (56 KB, 630x371) Image search: [Google]
vbk-05-india-china_1642864g.jpg
56 KB, 630x371
Any /fit/izens know of good exercises and workout routines that simulate armed combat?
Aside from general PT, what does the military do to prepare soldiers for firefights? Anyone know any special drills/routines that the police or military use for exercise?

Any resource links would be appreciated.
>>
>>37262505
For fire fights you run 3 steps get down on your guts and start crawling.

Rinse and repeat until the fight is over, so basically have good cardio and power to weight ratio
>>
File: 5570602241_37e74a00e2_b.jpg (357 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
5570602241_37e74a00e2_b.jpg
357 KB, 1024x678
FYI, I am not trying to be a "tough guy" thinking that I can be a Navy SEAL or anything.
I realized that I am just plain ol' uneducated when it comes to military training.
How practical are certain military exercises? I know some aspects of PT are meant to mentally break you by physically breaking you, especially with bootcamp-overwork.

But when I see some of the stuff like this (picture related), I can't help but raise an eyebrow.
>>
>>37262526
What? Run three steps (covering like 10 meters?) and then crawl for how long before you rinse and repeat?

Could you be a little more clear, like what would you do on a training day for firefights?

Like, is there an exercise you do to help you get better at crawling or moving in and out of cover?
Do you just do these exercises at your gym or in a local park?
I'm curious.
>>
>>37262505

Ref: http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/CG-PC/PETAWAWA/EN/FITNESSANDSPORTS/MILITARYFITNESS/MILITARYFITNESSTESTING/Pages/LFCPFS%28BFT%29.aspx

The CAF has two standard fitness tests.

The Battle Fitness Test (BFT) was the old standard which was phased out last year in favour for the FORCE fitness test, which is more representative of the every day tasks that a soldier might face in their day-to-day tasks.

The BFT consisted of a 13km ruck sack march that also required soldiers to wear their Full Fighting Order (FFO) and their issued ruck. The total weight to be carried was 50lbs. This included the weight of the helmet, tac vest, frag vest, and weapon. However, many units (including my own) increased the standard to be at least 40lbs within the ruck sack itself in addition to the FFO. This had to be completed within 2h 26m

Immediately after the ruck sack portion was completed, a body drag test was conducted where a soldier would drag his fire team partner, who simulated a casualty, 25 meters across the ground. They casualty still wore their FFO and the soldier dragging them also had to make sure to carry the casualty's weapon. This 25 meter drag replace the 50 meter fireman carry, which was almost the exact same test, but instead of dragging the casualty, he was carried across the shoulders. This test was to be completed without rest or stopping.

Once the casualty drag was completed, a trench digging test was conducted. Soldiers had to shovel out all of the gravel from one container into another container within a certain period of time. I think it was 7 minutes, but I can't remember. The dimensions of the containers were something like 3w x 6l x 3d.

cont...
>>
File: a4rth53.jpg (41 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
a4rth53.jpg
41 KB, 500x275
>>37262575
Thank you very much for this information.
This will help me build up my fitness goals, and hopefully some lurkers will learn something today from this too.

Excellent post, sir.
>>
>>37262575

Ref: http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Ottawa/EN/FitnessandSports/MilitaryFitness/CFexprestesting/Pages/NewCanadianArmedForcesminimumphysicalfitnessstandard.aspx

The FORCE fitness test was implemented FY 2014/2015. It includes 4 exercises that simulate average working conditions across all elements of the CAF.

This test is easy as fuck and the fattest of Navy clerks can complete it (not without complaining and wheezing, however). Recently the test has been adjusted to incorporate a scoring system, where the better your performance on the test, the higher your grade (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum), which should be included on a persons yearly performance evaluation. That's basically the only incentive to do this test, because otherwise everyone just considers it a joke. Some units will conduct the load bearing march portion of the BFT immediately prior to conducting the FORCE fitness test in FFO, but this isn't mandatory to achieve the fitness standard to satisfy universiality of service - only the FORCE test portion of it is.

Sandbag Lift: 30 consecutive lifts of a 20 kilogram sandbag above a height of 1 metre, alternating between left and right sandbags separated by 1.25 metres. Standard: 3 minutes 30 seconds.

Intermittent Loaded Shuttles: Using the 20 metre lines, complete ten 20 metre shuttles alternating between a loaded shuttle with a 20 kilogram sand bag and unloaded shuttles, for a total of 400 metres. Standard: 5 minutes 21 seconds.

20-Metre Rushes: Starting from prone, complete two 20 metre shuttle sprints dropping to a prone position every 10 metres, for a total of 80 metres. Standard: 51 seconds.

Sandbag Drag: Carry one 20 kilogram sandbag and pull four on the floor over 20 metres without stopping. Standard: Complete without stopping.

cont...
>>
>>37262612

Here's the Army Fitness Manual. I forgot exactly what's in it. I remember a PAM that included the minimum requirements to be considered for the JTF2 selection. I remember it had something in it like 10 x 225lbs bench press and 20 x pullups. Something like that, but don't quote me on it.

CSOR, JTF2, and SAR all have their own, unique ridiculous fitness standard and requirements that are far beyond what is in the Army Fitness Manual, and the few friends I know in those organizations don't even conduct the BFT or FORCE for their yearly fitness evaluations.

There are also certain physical standard requirements for specific qualifications within trades and units. For example, the minimum fitness standard to conduct the Basic Parachutist Course includes:

Minimum: 7 strict chin-ups, sub 7:30 mile run, and 31 consecutive strict sit-ups (Elbows touch knees, hands stay behind ears touching the head, no flailing of the arms.) Not exactly a difficult standard to achieve, but it serves as a base line for some of the stuff you'll do in the course (mostly pulling on the risers). My unit used this as the basis of our selection for who we nominated for the course. The higher you exceeded the standard, the more likely you were to make the course.

Other special qualifications like Combat Diver (Engineers) involve just a fuck-ton of running. A good friend of mine completed the selection and the course itself, to eventually become the Dive Section Tp Comd. They ran a minimum of 30km a day for two weeks and swam god knows how much. Their pool PT consisted of exercises such as treading water while holding a 20lbs brick above your head for as long as possible; diving to the bottom of a pool and waiting while their fire team partner swam to the top, caught their breath, conducted a task, and swam back down to replace them. Also, lots of running with an inflated combat boat.

Cont...
>>
>>37262695

Forgot manual link.

http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Greenwood/SiteCollectionDocuments/Army%20fitness%20manual[1].pdf

cont... (probably last)
>>
This is some pretty good info so far.
Maybe I'll swing by a used military goods store to get a rucksack and fill it with something to weigh it down.

I might start lighter than the full 50lbs, but I definitely got a goal to work towards now.
>>
>>37262695

The majority of your PT in the military will be 4 things:

Pushups, situps, pullups, and running. Lots of all of those. Look up the 100 pushup/200squat/50pullup/whatever the fuck programs, and couch to 5k. They work very well for the time-lines they provide. I went from 40 to 87 pushups in about 3 or 4 weeks doing the 100 pushup program on top of my regular routine at the time. Do not wait to start these programs if you plan on joining the military any time soon. The better shape you're in when you join, the less likely you are to get singled out by falling out of PT or not keeping up with the rest of the platoon. Your platoon-mates determine your success through training just as much as the course staff do. The more your fire team partner, section, or platoon dislikes you (usually for being a dog-fucker who constantly falls out during PT or is late for timings), the less likely you are to receive help, and you WILL need their help.

Lastly, for as much shit as Crossfit gets on /fit/, it is basically the perfect programming for military fitness. We'll often conduct fitness competitions that incorporate team based crossfit style workouts with military equipment (e.g. a team of 4 has to do 100 cleans, swim 2 miles, and carry an assault boat 500m, or something. They split it up however they want. Or climb ropes, vault 8' walls, etc.) Crossfit, oly lifting, power lifting, and TRX are fucking HUGE on bases. Although we generally don't do them in large groups, you can often find smaller groups of soldiers who are friends or in the same section, doing these workouts at the gym.

My rough PT schedule for the week for the Tp was:

Monday: Running
Tuesday: Cindies (AMRAP 20 min, 5 pullup, 10 pushup, 15 squat)
Wednesday: Combat PT (circuit training with kit like sledge hammers, ammo cans filled with rocks, etc) or core exercises. Thursdays were random. Sometimes I let a soldier plan PT for Thursdays. Fridays were ruck marches.
>>
>>37262757

Absolutely start lighter.

In basic we started with the ruck sack plus 10lbs and no FFO. We'd march at least twice a week. We didn't do the BFT until 8 weeks in.

See about getting some used combat boots to wear for your marches, too. The condition of your feet needs to be trained just as much so you don't end up with debilitating, foot encompassing blood blisters when you start going for longer marches. And your shins need to get used to the reduced ankle flexibility from the boot. Start light, start modest, but always progress.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.