[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SS Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Ripp.jpg (89 KB, 685x864) Image search: [Google]
Ripp.jpg
89 KB, 685x864
I created this thread for all noobs/novice trainers to compare, advise and shitpost, and since my question is a little bit too long for the qtddtot:

I'm on a modified version of SS, which is the Ripp approved one in the sticky, includes Chins, dips and direct arm work on Fridays on top of the compound work.

My lifts are currently around 1/2/3/4pl8, with my OHP and Squat being slightly over 1pl8/3pl8, and my Bench and DL respectively being slightly under their benchmarks. In the last 10weeks or so I've made the greatest gains in terms of strength I ever had on this program, however this week has very much been a complete drag and this morning I've woken up and I feel absolutely fatigued. I'm not just tired, tired is a pussy's way out of lifting heavy, but my body is aching everywhere, my legs are still absolutely wrecked from squatting 3x5 325lb and then jumping to 380lb DL, thighs hurt, body and muscles are insanely tight, and while it isn't painful, my back feels tight and fatigued; like its been sleeping on a really faulty spring under my mattress.

I did a 10% Deload and worked my way back up and I've pretty much hit the same brick wall with very minor progress added on but with the same fatigue I suffered previously by slugging it out. Is it time to move to TM/Madcows? I've also heard of some people making Wednesday a "light" Squat day and doing my deadlifts heavy on that day, which I think could help as squats definitely affect my deads now, but I couldn't find much conclusive evidence. On the one hand I've heard on SS Wiki its okay, on the other hand "its not doing the program".

Is this a sign that the program is done? Or can I make some modifications to squeeze out more linear gains. I feel like most people can advance a little further, my diet and sleep are both perfectly in check.
>>
>>37240319
I guess it's called Starting Strength for a reason mate.

Once the foundation is there you need to switch to something else.

Also did you ever consider that might be all you are able to lift?
>>
>>37240401
I've considered that this might be my strength foundation and that this is the most I'll be able to lift on the program, however I see most intermediate programs depend on weekly increases, I figured if I can make a few modifcations and keep increasing every session or every other session it would be more time-effective.
>>
>>37240319
I used to play sport on the Saturday which meant I always carried some leg fatigue into my week, when this was especially bad trying to squat 3 times a week with the usual intensity was pretty impossible.
If taking Wednesday a little lighter enables you to continue to gain on the program then it seems a no brainer.
>>
>>37240503
How much lighter did you tend to go if you're still lurking? And how far did it take you?
>>
>>37240319
Not being able to recover from the novice program is a sign that you'll be done soon.
Read the book Practical Programming for Strength Training by Rippetoe, it mentions several strategies to drag out linear progression for as long as possible, one of them is alternating light and heavy squat days like you already mentioned, doing only one heavy set of squats on the heavy days and two sets at 10% reduced load, etc.
The book also explains the progression of both Madcow/Bill Starrs 5x5 and especially TM in detail and how to modify them for various goals
>>
>>37240566
Still lurking, 10% is probably a good shout, although when really fatigued I just did warm up sets to keep the legs relatively awake for Friday
>>
read the book. the book in this case being practical programming 3rd edition.

also, you are wrong about there being a "rip approved" version of SS that includes chins, dips and direct arm work.
>>
>>37240445
>it would be more time-effective.
Trying to progress at too fast a rate is a common mistake. Even if you feel like you CAN squeeze out another PR on the same week, you're basically trading good long-term progress for a bit better short-term progress. It works better to be patient and in return you avoid running into that brick wall you mention.
>>
>>37240944
this is definitely true. one thing I've learned is that if something is working then don't change anything just because it feels slow. small, but consistent progress accumulates quickly, while stalling wastes a lot of time.
>>
advanced novice. do it.
>>
>>37240319
Rippletits posted somewhere the progression of one of his athletes as an example of a successful SS. After about 8 weeks, every second workout was a light squatting session and not a PR.
So I would say that this is indeed rip''s approved. He juste doesn't claim it publicly to avoid having novices shooting too low.
>>
>>37241034
practical programming deals with that in detail. it's not something he's hiding from the public.
>>
OP here, thank you for all your answers it is really appreciated.
>>37240874
Ripp did approve the Sean10mm model of SS on the starting strength forums. (Conceding that the arm work isn't neccesary, but the volume shouldn't interfere with the workload). Sean ran it by him before publishing it.

>>37240779
Should I be alternating the light/heavy days in accordance to my deadlifting days? For instance a 2x5 for 80% squat weight on DL day to reduce fatigue, or should I be adding it as a flat light day for Wednesday's workout regardless of whether my DL day arrives then or not? It seems there isn't a conclusive answer and that both could work, maybe it might be worth giving both a shot and seeing how I respond.

Anyway the conclusion seems to point towards reducing the volume somewhere to squeeze out the last linear gains available, I'm thinking of having a light squat day with my Deads to see if that'll help. With bench I guess I'll try to still slug it out, I can't see how reducing volume would help with that one.
>>
>>37240319
If SS is causing you to feel fatigued, just wait until you have to do Volume Day on TM. Its the fucking worst.
>>
File: 1436561066430.jpg (17 KB, 299x455) Image search: [Google]
1436561066430.jpg
17 KB, 299x455
So I'm 27 years old and about 12 weeks into SS. I haven't missed a workout in about 8 weeks and I'm really starting to feel cumulative soreness. Even on Monday morning I'm still a bit tired/sore. Should I take a Friday off soon?
Also, my lower spine seems to be developing more of an arch, to the point that it's sticking my gut out. I think this is because of all the posterior chain development, so I'm thinking of dropping PC from my friday workout. Thoughts?
>>
>>37242170
>I'm really starting to feel cumulative soreness
I put some ice on my groin after every squat session, this helps with the soreness and makes me feel "fresh" for the next workout

>Also, my lower spine seems to be developing more of an arch

Take a video of yourself and check your form, m8
>>
File: 1459085136052.gif (760 KB, 2544x1850) Image search: [Google]
1459085136052.gif
760 KB, 2544x1850
>>37240319
What 's your heigth/weigth?

you may wanna try the advance novice routine, pic related
>>
>>37240319
>modified version of SS
I never understood this. If you modified it, it's no longer SS.
>>
>>37243725
exactly, it's a modified version of SS
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.