[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Planet Fitness vs Crossfit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: CFvsPF.jpg (115 KB, 418x622) Image search: [Google]
CFvsPF.jpg
115 KB, 418x622
>Be me
>Start lifting at Uni this year
>did SS
>dont look like a fucking t-rex cause i actually read the book and did upperbody on offdays
>made some gains ready to keep it going over the summer
>go home
>2 options
I either go to the Crossfit gym or planet fitness.
Since I did SS Rippetoe redpilled me on machine fitness and wanted barbells.
I know Crossfit programming can be a little dangerous but i know my limits and how to safely push them plus I'm more interested in the Oly lifts.
So 2 questions
1) Which is worse CF or PF?
2) How fucked am I for signing up for Crossfit?
>>
Join the cross fit gym and ignore their cult and just use their shit.
>>
>>37218740
Ask the crossfit place if you can sign up but just use their equipment. If they say no, find a gym that's not planet fatness. They exist.
>>
Crossfit is probably better, I've tried my best too avoid both but Crossfit is better imo. Also Crossfit seems to attract qt fit grills.
>>
File: 1431103838160.jpg (15 KB, 256x245) Image search: [Google]
1431103838160.jpg
15 KB, 256x245
What you look Planet Crossift?
>>
Depending where you live, you could spend $150/mo for a Crossfit membership or $10/mo for a PF membership. That makes it a no brainer, to me. I'll take cheap as fuck dumbells over the Snap City warehouse any day.
>>
>>37218773
This, as long as they allow it. Some places require you to take classes.
>>
>>37219188
cute
>>
>>37218773

This is the only answer. That being said those gyms are usually super expensive.
>>
File: Umaru .png (204 KB, 537x407) Image search: [Google]
Umaru .png
204 KB, 537x407
Doesn't matter. Which ever one you prefer.
It's a gym. Get in, get out, get ahead.
>>
>>37218740

What the fuck kind of rack position is Rich doing here? Looks like shit.
>>
Crossfit folk are odd op. I go to planet fitness because of the price. Best thing you can do is get in before 8AM. Usually some good people that want to be left alone there at that point. Staff are a lot more chill to.
>>
I personally like Anytime Fitness, $40/month but it's not full of retards like Planet Fitness and has everything you need. Oh and the weights go higher than 60 fucking pounds which is necessary to do basically anything, especially at your level from working out already.
>>
>>37219135
This. Right here, this.
>>
>>37218773
>>37218795
>>37219997
I asked but they're going to charge me even more for the unlimited package which let me go whenever I wanted and still had to pay for the training sessions. Money isnt a huge issue cause my internship pays well but im not paying $250 for basic barbells and a squat rack
>>
>>37220822
correct me if I'm wrong but they only have dumbell freeweights right? like no squat rack or benches.
>>37220865
I would but there isnt one near me
>>
>>37218740

Do Crossfit. It's fun.

I used to do Crossfit on my own after I got bored with SS and Mad Cow. I continued to see gains and increased my cardio. I was in the best shape of my life and it helped me keep up my cardio without running (I fucked up my hips and lower back after running marathons and "extreme" races that involved running with a 40lbs ruck over a marathon distance).

Eventually life happened and I became a severely depressed alcoholic with psciatica (tried to run long distances without training properly after transitioning from XFit to a body building program), and put on about 60lbs of fat.

Started doing Crossfit again about two months ago, 4-6 days a week. Gains are coming back quickly, my squat and front squat posture has never been better, lower back pain has been reduced due to a stronger core, and I'm now at 225lbs from 239lbs after 5 weeks of clean eating and working out (not taking into consideration any muscle mass gained).

A good Crossfit gym will have a strength session which focuses on a major lift or oly lift, and a 20-30min WoD. Both should have about 10min warmup before each part.

When I started Crossfit again I scaled the fuck out of everything, and if you need to scale something that doesn't involve weights (e.g. pullups or handstand pushups), the trainers should have a number of scaling exercises or alternatives (e.g. Pullup negatives or HSPU with feet on a box). I still can't run without risk of compromising my back and hips again, so I sub out any running for air bike or rowing until I see a physiatrist.

tl;dr Do Crossfit, if only so you can do power and oly lifting without being discriminated against.
>>
>>37221077
I'm just concerned with some of the volume of lifts that require a lot of form like doing 30 deadlifts or something like that
>>
>>37220919

$250 a month? You really have to tell them to get fucked.
>>
>>37221245
its only if i want total access its $120 regular and I get $20 off as a student discount
>>
>>37221231

Check out the weekly programming for the gym you want to go to. They should be posting something on social media or have their schedule on the site. From there you can pick and choose which days you want to go. Alternatively, you can just go during open gym. Some gyms will even let you just do your own workout while a regular class is running as long as it doesn't interfere with the class.

Also, with regards to the high volume of some of the lifts, when you're doing high volume, you're usually doing it at a very low weight. Just to give you an example of a WoD I did this week:

Strength:

Work up to a 5 rep max shoulder press (145lbs for me), then:

5 reps at 90% of the above weight, every 3 min for a total of 3 sets.

WoD:

Every 2min 30Sec do:

15 x Deadlift at weight used for Shoulder Press; and
30 x Double Unders

15 Reps at 130 lbs is fucking nothing. I was tired as shit by the end of it, but I never felt like I was straining my back or sacrificing form for speed. It's easier to focus on good form because you're not struggling with the weight. That WoD was by far the highest volume of something like Dead Lifts I have ever done at this gym. Any decent gym will also encourage scaling for either a different weight or different movement depending on a persons capabilities.

Lastly, the gym you're looking at very likely has a free trial for a week or a few sessions. Try that and speak with the trainers if you have any concerns.
>>
>>37221758

I forgot to mention the WoD was the description, every 2:30min for 6 rounds.
>>
File: fat joaquin phoenix.gif (2 MB, 445x280) Image search: [Google]
fat joaquin phoenix.gif
2 MB, 445x280
>>37221077
>Do Crossfit. It's fun.
>I fucked up my hips and lower back after [...] "extreme" races that involved running with a 40lbs ruck over a marathon distance
>>
>>37221077
You speak highly of it because you've only done it for a short time. Literally every long term crossfit user I've been friends with has come down with a fairly serious muscle/joint injury. It's just not sustainable for most people to do that shit for long periods of time.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.