[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: tumblr_o17kicsGve1s0rjkgo3_1280.jpg (534 KB, 1280x1918) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o17kicsGve1s0rjkgo3_1280.jpg
534 KB, 1280x1918
Are squats enough for legs on their own? Will I get any problems doing only squats for leg training?
>>
i do heavy squats and leg raises on the machine that's it

no calves but i don't give a fuck
>>
>>37210148
No knee problems or shit like that? Do your legs lool balanced despite the lack of hamstring training?
>>
Will I make the same gains if I go straight to benching 175 (right now I can bench 140) as opposed to benching 150, 160, 170 first

I dont wanna run out of gains
>>
>>37210137
I squat for the quads, and deadlift for the hamstrings and glutes. When I think I'm becoming unbalanced I'll add lunges if the back is small and front squats if the front is small.
>>
>>37210490
nah, they look balanaced it's alright

>>37210510
you will feel a lot better if you do lighter sets first i do 5 sets

bar-135-135-155-185-205 and then usually another set of 135 for lots of reps
>>
>>37210148
Faggot doesn't do calves.
>>
>>37210605
lmao make me
>>
anyone else still rocking swishy pants / trackpants to work out in?
>>
Find out today we have a nautilus lateral raise machine at my gym.
whats the consensus on these? are they safe to use / safe for my shoulder or rotator cuffs?
>>
File: almost3weeks.jpg (150 KB, 1313x681) Image search: [Google]
almost3weeks.jpg
150 KB, 1313x681
These pictures are obviously old.
But ever since then, I've dropped to 129lbs and have completely stalled.
I am still eating below my TDEE, and doing loads of cardio, but I've added in more strength training.
What the hell is going on?

Being 4'10 there is no way that this is an extra 29lbs of muscle.

Should I cut down my intake even farther? Add in more cardio? Cut out strength training?
>>
>>37210634
just use dumbbells but it's fine i guess
>>
>>37210656
Do more cardio

Source:
my own weightloss experience.
>>
File: Hull.jpg (402 KB, 896x1189) Image search: [Google]
Hull.jpg
402 KB, 896x1189
>>37210634
Do you really want to present yourself like that to the outside work? Go do some yard work instead... seems like you would get more bang for your buck doing a more compound related exercise instead of splitting up an already delicate area of your body into smaller sections that will get imbalanced quickly.
>>
>>37210656
Did you make some "refuel" days? Are you feeling tired?
>>
File: _20160516_185541.jpg (385 KB, 1356x2419) Image search: [Google]
_20160516_185541.jpg
385 KB, 1356x2419
>>37210137
I did mostly squats for my lower body workout and as you can see it didn't do much for me. I'm adding in more volume, leg presses, and focusing more on curls and extensions too. I did ICF for a while and then a ppl.
>>
I've been lifting for 5 months and have been making good strength gains, but I have barely lost any weight. I currently 270 at 5'11 and am eating 2600 cals a day. I lift and do cardio 3 times a week. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>37210759
I believe those calories are for maintenance.
>>
>>37210731
I take weekends "off"
I'm not tired. I actually feel more energetic than usual. I am just trying to figure out what's up. I usually get in at the very least 45 mins of cardio a day. I noticed that my weight started stalling when I started strength training.
So I don't know what to think about it.
My boyfriend keeps telling me my muscle is replacing my fat. But he doesn't really know what he's talking about lol
>>
>>37210812
Weekends "off"... I'm afraid it could be that. Drop the strenght training for a week or two and see what happens. You won't really loose much strengh, and you'll know if it's related!
>>
if you highbar and actually go low enough, you'll hit your quads AND your glutes but the lack of direct hamstring work as the result of only doing squats for legs will create an imbalance.

For legs I do 3 sets of heavy squats then 2 sets of lighter but paused. Then I do rdls supersetted with standing calf raises. Maybe I'll add in some leg extensions if I'm feeling cheeky
>>
>>37210840
Thank you!! I was thinking about doing that. I was told by several people on here to start strength training when I posted that last picture update. I feel like they may have tricked me lol!

I'll definitely cut it out for now and see if it helps!! Thanks!!
>>
>>37210868
Not a trick, no! It's not supposed to do that! I'm pretty sure it's not related. BUT better remove it from the equation just to be sure!
Also, since you've lost quite a lot of weight, have you recalculated your TDEE?
>>
Kettlebell. What does /fit/ think of these? Good cardio source even if just getying one to do swings? Decent investment. Let me hear your thoughts.
>>
Do squats work glutes only if you go below parallel ?
>>
>>37210900
Yeah! I recalculated it when I first noticed the weight was stalling a while ago. So I adjusted it and have been going off of that!!

I'm cutting at about 1400 calories now!
>>
>>37210789
So should I be eating 500 less than that then?
>>
>>37210759
If you're not losing weight then obviously you need to eat less or do more cardio. I'd drop by 400 calories a day and see how you do. Also recomp is a thing. You can add muscle and burn fat simultaneously.
>>
>>37210656
>>37210949
>4'10
>cutting at about 1400 calories
hmmm
>>
>>37210949
Do not stop strength training, that guy is full of shit. Lifting makes you burn more calories for roughly 36 hours after your session.
It's possible that you're holding extra water weight due to lifting, but it does NOT mean you aren't losing fat, which is your actual goal, not the fucking number on the scale. You're not training for a wrestling match, you're trying to be healthier, and the scale isn't the only metric for that.
You may also be holding water due to excess carbs (especially on your cheat weekends), or you're weighing yourself too often and irregularly so you're seeing normal fluctuations. Try only cheating on one day a week, or every other weekend. Recalculate your TDEE, track your calories better, try to consume a higher percentage of your cals from good fats and protein, be honest with yourself.
>>
>>37210933
More or less.
Not hitting full ROM focuses on your quads and can lead to knee issues.

>captcha select all the food
>captcha wants me to fail my cut
>>
>>37210510
No, because you will drop the bar on yourself and die, which is very deleterious to gains.

>>37210137
What are your goals?
Are you counting deadlift as a non-leg training exercise?
If you don't do deadlifts you should do those.
Those two are sufficient for most people for most needs.
>>
Part of my left hand has gone numb now. I think it's from lifting too much. Anyone ever have this or have advice for fixing it?
>>
>>37211070
What's the point of doing deadlifts rather than squats + back hyperextensions?
>>
Is convict conditioning a meme?
>>
>>37210605
Apparently he doesn't give a fuck, could you believe it
>>
>>37210622
Yeah.

>>37210656
Your TDEE may have changed. Your appetite has absolutely changed, and if you are not being extraordinarily careful (or doing something crazy like getting every last one of your calories from prepackaged foods like Soylent or etc), you may have begun misportioning things. I noticed that whenever I dieted I had to weigh my bowls of cereal or whatever, because portions would drift up if I didn't.

You may also just be retaining water from inflammation and glycogen depletion if you've just stepped up your exercise level.

And of course it's possible to pack on a surprising amount of muscle when you start strength training as a total beginner, but that's usually when you aren't calorie restricting.

>>37210634
machinesareshittier-outta-ten

>>37211005
Yeah. 5'11" with lots of exercise, sounds like you'd maintain at 2600 or a teeny bit higher.
>>
>>37210868
No please don't, that's a stupid idea. Less exercise is never going to be better for weight loss.

Cut your weekends off to one day a week or fortnight off, then see. Also, are you still using your TDEE at your starting weight or have you recalculated?
>>
>>37210510
You can't "run out of gains." This is a lifelong habit where patience is a virtue.
>>
File: startbodyweight variation.jpg (678 KB, 2207x2340) Image search: [Google]
startbodyweight variation.jpg
678 KB, 2207x2340
Training calisthenic for the last 3 month, alternating with bumbbells. Plus I do 40~60 minutes of cardio every two days. And my workouts are about an hour long.
So basically, Calist./cardio/dumbbell/cardio and so on. Only took one real complete rest day for the last two or three month.
For calisthenic, I basically uses this routine, except I (try to) do 4 sets instead of 3. For the dumbbell, I use exercises targetting similar muscle groups.
The thing is, I'm tired as fuck and on the calisthenic side I don't make any progress for the last few weeks.
Should I reduce back to 3 sets? And should I take at least one full rest day per week?
Also, I'm 5'8 ish, 137 lbs, about 13~15 bf. My TDEE without exercising is at about 1800 cals, so I figured eating at 2400~2500 Cals a day should be a clean bulk (considering that I do 1 hour of exercice a day, either cardio or bodyweight/dumbbels)
Any thought?
>>
>>37211080
How numb? If it's total loss of sensation (like you could cut yourself without noticing) you need to see a doctor immediately.

If it's a bit of tingling and merely reduced sensation, I get that all the time and doctor's were little to no help. Apparently it's "not a problem". Paraphrased: Swelling of tendons pushing on nerves or something. Take an NSAID if you really need grip strength. Raise the handlebars on your bike. Wear a wrist brace while using the computer to avoid flexing your wrists. Report back if it lasts more than six months.

It quit after 5 months.

You might still want to see a doctor, who knows, you might have some genetic condition that's rotting your nerves from the inside out.

>>37211101
It's bullshit that it's going to give you some kind of alpha super strength.
It's an okay progressive body weight program, but weights would really be a much better idea.

>>37211085
Deadlifts hit your hamstrings and glutes so much harder than back extensions that it feels weird to even compare them. Nobody does a weighted back extension with twice their bodyweight. The spinae erectors can statically hold against really hilarious amounts more weight than they could ever hope to move by contracting.

You'd get a little bit better results if you go up to a glute/ham raise instead of just a back extension.
If your goal doesn't include sports (or general physical performance) or physique competition style hugeness, that'd probably be fine. But if you want either of those things, you should really incomporate deadlifts into your regimen.
>>
File: 1463043959556.jpg (94 KB, 1080x1349) Image search: [Google]
1463043959556.jpg
94 KB, 1080x1349
>>37211231
Just a paresthesia. Pins and needles. Like I fell asleep on it. I've stopped doing shrugs and other high weight pull exercises to reduce the stress on it some. Glad to hear it's not permanent.
>>
>>37210949
>>37210868
>>37211195
>>37211047

You should make whatever decision seems best to yourself, but as long as you return to strength training, you don't lose much and probably gain some if you cut it out for now, diet a bit harder, and return in a couple months.

Diet to lose weight, work out to improve health.

Working out can help with weight loss, but it's actually much more likely to just make you hungrier, making it harder to keep up your diet as your body demands resources to heal and adapt. It's a very fine line to walk, getting enough but not quite enough.
And studies have shown that dieting with very light exercise (20 minute walks three times a week) have significantly better weight loss results than diet and moderate exercise.
>>
>>37210924

Great investment. Good for restdays or just mixing up your routine. Get one.
>>
What can I do to stop being hungry? I'm using cbt to not give in to junk but I still feel so tempted by cravings.
>>
File: Hack7.jpg (43 KB, 388x604) Image search: [Google]
Hack7.jpg
43 KB, 388x604
>>37210137
Front squats for quad targeting, Hackenschmidt squats for hams, back squats for equal targeting + more glutes.
>>
>>37211568
Drink tea or water. Stuff yourself with very low cal food (celery, cauliflower...)

>>37211225
Anyone?
>>
>>37210759
Lol do you think this shit is that easy? I'm 5'11 and i've lost 60 pounds in the last year and a half. Get on the 1500 cal train you pussy. It's miserable but better than having tits.
>>
File: nathaniel-buzolic.jpg (266 KB, 790x790) Image search: [Google]
nathaniel-buzolic.jpg
266 KB, 790x790
Can someone tell me if this is a good way to meety goal?

AxAxAxx

Pull ups 5x8
Kettlebell squats 3x12
Kettlebell swings 3xF

500 calorie deficit OR surplus if I want to gain muscle. I would eventually progress to weighted pull ups. I'd also swim once a week.

How is this plan for cutting OR bulking?

Pic related is sort of goal body
>>
>>37210137
you mean ATG squats right?
i started doing lunges when knees were in trouble, by the time I returned to squatting my max got 10kg heavier, so now I throw them in as well every once in a while.
>>
>>37210759
Bro, I'm 5'11 and not that heavy. Your call intake should be below 2000 if you're looking to lose weight. My bulking calorie jntake is 2800 and im not even 200lbs.
>>
>>37211080
>>37211231

Not the same hand numbing guy but I get that too. It usually happens after I lift and I lay in my bed/don't move for a while.

It's temporary, I think its nothing to be afraid of.
>>
>>37210656
Its because your a midget.
You probs need a better cardio routine.
At that height and already low cal levels, you would need to step up exercise.
Cal cutting when ur daily cals is already low is not a great way to do it.
>>
>>37210759
Im 5'11 and was also 270.
You need to change your cals.
My first 20 pounds was done at 1500 cals and 4 days a week of gym.
Currently 217 and dropping.
>>
File: 1458867238845.jpg (4 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
1458867238845.jpg
4 KB, 229x220
>>37211734
>>
>>37210137
I bought some Kreatin, what can I expect? Do I lose my nattycard? Any tipps?
>>
File: 1435836300019(1).jpg (2 MB, 2481x6600) Image search: [Google]
1435836300019(1).jpg
2 MB, 2481x6600
I am currently doing SL, and am soon going to miss one session due to a weekend away.

What can I do to minimize losses? I'd like to do something in the gym (maybe add some volume to one of my sessions to compensate for the loss?) instead of doing bodyweight, since I feel like that is an inferior option. Thoughts?
>>
>>37211898
man fucking Germans I swear.

You can expect to go bald prematurely (seriously, google it).

Also, short term strength and weight gains which will allow you to up your maxes or crunch out more reps )you will lose some of it when you stop, but you will have created a good basis to work from)
>>
>>37210759
Lift 6 days per week
>>
>>37211965
I'll try not to overdo it with that stuff. Thanks.
>>
So following the cut thread's advice I started doing intermittent fasting. It's been both easy and tough as shit so far. I'm just wondering if teas with naturally sweet ingredients are counterproductive tough? E.g., my favorite drink has cloves, cinnamon and orange.
>>
Reposting this from the last QTDDTOThread:

I'm at 70kg (154 lbs) at around 19%bf. Is it possible to cut down to 10%bf by the end of June? My daily calorie intake is currently at 1800. I work out 3x a week (GSLP).
>>
>>37212103

No way bra alot of spices and tea actually aid in fat loss
>>
Is PSMF worth it?
Will I lose all my gains?
>>
>>37212144
Oh well then, that's awesome. I was genuinely curious if something that tasted so sweet (no sugar added) made sense during the fasting periods.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (427 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
427 KB, 960x1280
Do I have shitty pec genetics?
SL since mid Feb. Bench is 65kg, struggling but upping weight every 4 workouts
I cant get a better picture but I highlighted what the problem is
>right pec seems to be more formed than left
>both pecs are more developed in the nipple area rather than being wider and "flatter"
should I do some work on my lefty? like one arm assisted pushups?
how do I make my pecs wider and more distributed

I really cant have anything can I?
a whole life of shit and now that I find something I can do and enjoy my genetics fuck me up yet another time
>>
File: 1.png (62 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1.png
62 KB, 256x256
Is there anything wrong with eating red meat? Seems like every diet plan recommends chicken/turkey over lamb/beef but there's never any explanation why.
>>
>>37212748
Leftists think it causes cancer.
>>
>>37212748
Plus it's more fatty so for the same mass it contains more calories. You can still eat it though if you calculate it correctly in your diet plan.
>>
>>37212748
>Seems like every diet plan recommends chicken/turkey over lamb/beef but there's never any explanation why.
Higher protein/gram and higher protein/calorie.

It DOES cause cancer, but in more of a "This will increase your chance of contracting any one of this list of cancers from 1/100000 to 5/100000 over a 25 year time scale", eating it is fine, especially in moderation.
>>
Can I get a bf% on pic related?
>>
>>37212575

65kg is absolutely nothing, you cant be examining your gains already.
>>
Thoughts on instinctive training? Will I get good results doing this? It's when you don't follow a set routine. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/teen-shane1.htm

You still follow progressive overload and track diet etc buts it's more... flexible. Think of it as the IIFYM of lifting. Thoughts?
>>
>>37212796
filter/10
>>
>>37212796
Unattactive + fucked menstrual cycle %
>>
>>37212803
its okay if you keep your main compounds in
i do whatever I want for my accessory work
mainly supersets for upper back/arms etc
good way to cut back on time in the gym
>>
File: pecs.jpg (48 KB, 311x188) Image search: [Google]
pecs.jpg
48 KB, 311x188
>>37212575

>Do I have shitty pec genetics?

No. Some people have a fucking canyon between them. Your pecs look totally normal.
>>
Anyone here does yoga as part of their routine? I'm thinking of getting started, it could be good to develop my mobility more
>>
i am a fat nigger

i started walking and i can deal with pain in my muscles (not even that bad if i stretch) but i get really bad pain in my shins

what is this?
>>
>>37213010
sounds like shin splints. you might wanna change your shoes or the surface you walk on. RICE after walking also
>>
>>37213039
I googled that and it also said something about too soon too quick, like I'm walking to quickly too soon ?

I don 't know if that has anything to do with it.
>>
>>37211080
If it's your ring finger and little finger then somewhere your Ulnar nerve is getting impinged.

It can be impinged at the elbow due to a slightly abnormal elbow morphology, this is fairly unlikely and surgery is required to fix it.

It can be impinged at the elbow due to tight biceps or impinged slightly further up by tight pectorals. Try a deep massage of your bicep and pec, you can use a lacrosse ball and go ham with rolling or dig in and around with your thumb. Focus on the really sore spots.

Your ulnar nerve can also be impinged at the shoulder. This can be for multiple reason because shoulders are complicated.

Most likely is underdeveloped back musculature, do supinated grip barbell rows to hit a common weak spot which is your romboids, focus on squeezing them and holding at the top of the rep. Look at an anatomy diagram to get an idea where you are focusing on.

You could have an inflamed rotator cuff which is putting pressure on the nerve, this can be fixed with resting and NSAIDs.

My advice is to see a physio to help you figure out what might be causing it.
>>
>>37212797
well that's what I am at, and I already specified that I'm just 3 months into lifting.
I'm just worried that this inbalance could develop in really shitty pecs
>>37212819
it's not really evident in photo but looking at them they're really uneven, what can I do??
>>
>>37213213
Keep lifting more and see how it turns out.

Chances are you notice the slight irregularity more than anyone else will. 3 months isn't really long enough to judge it.
>>
>>37213239
some advice on how I can speed up my bench press?
It's my slowest lift, any other exercise I can add weight every workout or every 2.
With BP I stay on a weight for at least 3 workouts
100 pushups on every day except before bp day?
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 750x937) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 750x937
Someone tell me what my macros need to be, I'm 5'11" 185lb I'm doing a cut.
Routine is ppl with two days of cardio
>>
>>37213213

Come back in 9 months and we'll asses then.
>>
>>37213265
Also going for otter or trex mode,
Lifts are quite shitty right now.
Deadlift:315 1x5
Squat:185 3x5
Bench: 180 3x5
OHP: 110 3x5
>>
Can anyone recommend some good exercises for wrist flexibility? My wrists can barely bend back 15 degrees with my fingers outstretched. My right wrist is probably actually worse than that following an elbow fracture that fucked my arm
>>
>>37211225
Bump for great justice
>>
>>37210137

Rollo mode best mode
>>
>>37210739
Wow. Its interesting for me to see the skip leg day thing in action.

I usually do cycling up hills 4% to 8% gradents. Worked well for me.
>>
>>37213332
Two types of stretching for any body part : static and dynamic. You need both.

For your wrists: static- Arms straight out in front of you, palms up to the sky. Using your other hand, grab your outstretched arms fingers and bend down making the stretch in your forearm flexors until you feel moderate stretch. Hold for 1 minute, use sets if you have to, to reach 1 min.

Dynamic: same as above, but as soon you feel a light to moderate stretch in you forearm flexors, freeze, then with the stretched hand tense against the stretch as if your trying to wrist curl or curl your fingers. Hold the tension for a count of 5 sec. Then simultaneously exhale, release tension, and stretch your fingers back a little further. Repeat a few more times then you're done. With each rep you should be able to stretch back just a bit more.
>>
>>37210759
I'm 5'11 and bulking on 2600kcal pal
eat less
>>
I have a posterior shin splint that i foam rolled 2 days ago and it is still sore to the touch. Should i foam roll it again or wait until the soreness goes away?
>>
>>37213181
It's fingers 2 and 3. Palm side.
>>
>>37210759
I was around 270 trying to lose weight just from diet. Didn't do cardio or lift then but I cut @ 2000 or 1900 and 3-4 liters of water. It was slow but it worked
>>
i stopped lifting 3 years ago and now im fat, regular fat not american fat
what should i do
i used to do SS and than some intermediate program but i dont remember which one
>>
Is it possible to become intolerant to certain foods if you eat them everyday? I've had oats daily for over a year now and lately I feel sick when I eat it
>>
>>37213821
It is I guess, but in your case it's more psychological than physiological. Either change the flavoring, or find something else to eat for a few days/week
>>
>>37213732
Bls resbond
>>
>>37213852
What'[s the best alternative to oats? Preferably something that's good for bulking
>>
>>37211225
You sound exactly like me.
I dropped from 154 and skinny fat to 138 with some great gains and lower bf% via IF and 1800 per day and lifting 5 days a week, liss every lift day with hiit sprint's on rest days.
I was stalling and so this week I've dropped to 1500 per day and due to the less calories, took a full rest day with no cardio yesterday.

My lifts today were incredible and I had a ton more strength and energy, even had just enough to do 15 min of sprints.

Imo, try it, give it a week of less training because imo your routine might be a little over training.
>>
Got some lower back pain a week ago after I finished my deadlifts. The first two days my back hurt when I bent over low while standing. By now I'm fully mobile and have no pain whatsoever unless I try to lift up weights while bent over. Deadlifting, Squatting and Bentover Rows are not possible because it causes too much pain. Should I visit a doctor or just do some stretches against lower back pain?
>>
>>37212103
Tea, especially Decaf herbal tea are excellent on cuts.
>>
Over the last week I've been doing cardio and dieting like crazy. Been at a deficit of 700-1000 every day. I managed to lose 2 pounds my first week, however I've lost 1.5 inches off of my stomach area.

Is this discrepancy normal or is it some sort of water retention? I would think that 1.5 inches off my stomach would have me drop a lot more weight than that.
>>
>>37213255
Heavier, less reps.

Hold for a couple seconds at different points in the lift, time under tension is key to break the stall.
>>
Stalled at curling 10kg dumbells for almost a month. Should I just progress to the next heavier 2kg dumbell? Should I do curls with an EZ-bar instead?
>>
>>37213954
Get off dumbbells for a week, do other forms. Cables are great, overload and hold for the TuT.

Athlean x has some great arm videos to help this issue.
>>
>>37213949
I can barely do 65, I would just fail at 70
>>
>>37213682

Whats your tdee?
>>
>>37213821

Its usually the other way around, actually.
No idea about oats tho.
>>
>>37213966
With that attitude you will.
Even if you do 1 to 2 reps, that tension will build and soon you will be able to get 3 to 4 and so on.
>>
>>37214004
can I do it in the smith machine at least?
I dont wanna ask for a spotter for just 2 reps, fail and look like a douche
>>
>>37214021
>smith machine
No, never the smith machine. Do the roll of shame if need be or use a squat rack when the gym is empty.
>>
Not op related, but I don't get why cuts seem so hard for some? I've literally been on a cut since 2 years before I even started lifting, so I've been gradually losing weight since 4 years and it started slowing down after a while of lifting, since a year ago, I started eating a little more (still never until I feel full), and I'm now like gaining 1-2kg per month. I went from fat to lanky to pretty muscular in 4 years with no effort in the first 2 years, and seeing as I love being at the gym for 2 hours 6 days a week, and biking 40km on the other day out of the seven, I don't feel like I'm working hard for a good body, I'm just doing what I like doing. The only problem I had was the recovery process for the first months of lifting, now feeling tired is like feeling like I just came for me. Also one other tip I'd like to give y'all is weed, it helps so much after a workout, I feel like I'm stuck in an orgasm, full of pleasure, joy and the desire for actual masturbation.
>>
>>37214021
Of course bro, I broke my plateau with dumbbells and just let then off on my sides
>>
>>37210709
His arms are fucking flawless. Shit. BRB, turning in my gym membership for ranch work.
>>
>>37214066
eh, i dont know. next time I'll try 70 and see how it goes
>>37214074
how much in dumbbell is equivalent to 70 with a barbell?
>>
>>37210933
I believe they also activate your hammies a little below parallel
>>
File: 1414512135706.jpg (216 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1414512135706.jpg
216 KB, 1024x768
How do I stop thinking about every girl who gives me one iota of attention.
>>
>>37213255
>>37213949

Heavier and less reps will not make a difference, really.

In fact, doing 6 sets per muscle group in the 6-12 range will yield more or less the same result. So you could do 3x10 flat and 3x10 incline for instance.

But lifting heavier and less reps will do nothing for additional muscle growth. Chances are the opposite is true : maybe you're overworked and need a deload week to rest. Or just take an entire week off of bench.
>>
>>37211041
My cut was a lot lower when I wasn't working out lol

>>37211047
Oh I think I confused you guys. I don't cheat on weekends with meals. I meant I don't workout lmao! My meals are consistent throughout.
And thank you. I think I might focus more on cardio right now just to see, but still strength train at least two days a week right now.

>>37211269
That's interesting! Maybe I'll cut my working out days to 3 days a week rather than 5?
>>
>>37213914
Thanks for your experience, I'll end up doing that!
>>
Hello /fit/, need your help

Because of shit form front Squats and Snatches I JUST my knees soft tissues, Now everytime I try to squat it hurts. (Strangely, I can do Power Cleans with no Pain) it's been almost a month, also, i can't run at high speeds because it hurts, but I can walk, jump and go up stairs with no problem (sometimes It hurts a little)

So:

1.- Should I change Squats for Power Cleans?

2.- Please, give me some rehabilitation excersises for this.

Thanks, and please respond
>>
>>37214256
Stop being a bitch boi. Have goals. Attain said goals. Do stuff for yourself.
>>
do stretch marks on your stomach mean game over enjoy your loose skin?
>>
>>37214072
Shut up faggot
>>
I bulked from 120 to 150 without much hassles but I'm struggling to keep it going now. Is this just the end of noob gains? Should I be more patient? I'm 5'11 if that's relevant
>>
>>37214419
Squats and power cleans are not equivalent. If you decide not to squat, replace it with leg press or lung squats or both. As far as recovery exercises, try taking two weeks off. Rest the first week, swim the second week, lift on the third week. Also, lower the weight and fix your fucking form.
>>
>>37214450
You need to increase your calorie count. Your body needs more calories to maintain its weight because you have more mass on your body. Your TDEE has changed. Recalculate and go from there.
>>
How do I know if I have slight lordosis? How do I check for it? Also, how should I fix it?
>>
>>37214486
I eat until I'm ready to puke 5 times a day. I don't think my stomach can handle more food honestly, every time I try to eat bigger meals I just end up puking everything out. Maybe I should try different foods and see if that works
>>
File: pokemans_068.gif.cf.gif (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
pokemans_068.gif.cf.gif
25 KB, 400x400
>out of shape entirely
>Just started the process of losing 30 lbs
>Dont know what my full macros should be
>Have read up on how much protien I need, so that snumber/ratio is covered.
>IIFYM.com mentions fiber as a macro
>Now I'm curious a about what my macros should be, what they should consist of and most importantly what the science says on the topic
>(I'm also not interested in some ridiculous high fat keto diet even though I've seen it work very well for friends)

So what should those macros be? Surely my fat:carb:random-other nurtient ratios aren't something I should just make up myself are they?
>>
>>37213763
Probably your radial nerve then. in which case the impingement is more likely to be at the shoulder. Do you have any rotator cuff discomfort?
>>
Best way to fix clumped pre-workout? I threw away the silica gel packet thinking I wouldn't need it now its gummed up.
>>
>>37213949
Time under tension is a sort of outdated theory. Current theory of accumulated weekly volume is much better backed up.

>>37213966
If you want to break a plateau you need to bench more.

Bench 3 times a week with different intensity with a weight where you are just about failing the last set.
5x5
3x8
3x3

Increase each weight each week where possible. If you feel you have more in the tank then turn the 3x3 into 5x3 or a 3x5 at the end of the week.

Add accessories at least twice a week. Incline bench, paused bench, dumbbell bench at about 3x8. TRY 3x8 and AMRAP the last set.

You need to stimulate a training response by increasing volume. It'll take maybe a month to get an idea how quickly you can advance with this sort of set up and which accessories work best. Volume is more easily accumulated by increasing sets than it is reps.

This method works for squats and deadlifts as well. Vary your intensity, accumulate as much weekly volume as possible and do accessories as well as the main movement.
>>
>>37214167
Equivalent as in equivalent strength? It's really hard to say, I bench a lot more than some of my friends but they have a much higher dumbbell bench comparatively than I. It depends how often you train with either I suppose.
>>
>>37214256
Have way more girls on the go at once. Create an abundance mentality and always know there are plenty of other girls who are better. It's hard to start with but I've managed it this year so far. I've realised that I can have relationships with loads of different girls and all of them have their own quirks but not all of them will be good relationships.

Give yourself an opportunity to be picky, you shouldn't settle for anyone.
>>
>>37214523
How many calories are you eating? Don't guess, count it.
>>
>>37210137
I've been using MFP to monitor my calorie intake cause I'm trying to put on weight. I put on 2.2lbs in a week. Is that slow or fast progress?
>>
>>37214523
What you should try is counting calories. If you're serious about getting big, this is what you need to do. Also spreading your meals out more throughout the day can help keep from feeling too full.
>>
>>37214715
Is this your first week? Gains will probably settle down to about 3lbs a month after you've gained initial water weight on a decent bulk.
>>
>>37214741
Yea it's my first week. And what do you mean by initial water weight?

>Gains will probably settle down to about 3lbs a month

You fucking serious!?
>>
>>37214708
3K on lifting days, around 2.5K on rest days. I use a kitchen scale to calculate it so it should be accurate
>>
>>37214780
Eat 3k on rest days as well and see if it makes a difference.
>>
Ive been thinking of trying this program but im a bit unsure about the 1x40 sets. Do they do anything or is it just for the sick burns

>the program
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/power-muscle-burn-5-day-powerbuilding-split.html
>>
>>37214774
On a steady bulk I aim to gain just over a kilo a month, otherwise I end up putting on fat too quickly. If I'm trying to hit a weight goal for a lift then sometimes I'll pig out just to ego lift it but usually I don't see the point in increasing the length of time I need to cut.
>>
>>37211720
Lol faggot that's what you get for not making reservations for first class seats on the 1500 kcal train. I'm having a smooth ride.
>>
>>37214808
Loos a bit gimmicky to me. You're almost always better off doing more sets with some rest periods in my opinion.

You could look at doing myo reps though
>>
>>37214831
Well I plan on doing a steady bulk so that should be alright for now?
>>
>>37214498
bump
>>
>>37214922
go see a chiropractor.
>>
>>37214872
Yeah, adjust your calories if after a month you feel you are gaining a bit fast.
>>
Quickest way to get used to hookgrip? I can deal with the pain, but my grip isn't great yet. Just something that takes time?
>>
>>37214801
I feel sick everyday I eat 3K. Can't imagine doing it everyday. I've been at it for a little over a year and it doesn't feel like my stomach wants to adapt to eating more food. I';m still force feeding myself every meal. Maybe I don't have what it takes to become big...
>>
>>37214922
You're supposed to have a lordosis in your lumbar spine.
If you're worried you have a hyperlordosis then I can tell you that it's completely normal and it's not a problem as long as you can set your pelvic into a proper position while doing your lifts.
>>
I need that picture of Jason genova with sunglasses next to Dana Bailey. Can someone hook me up
>>
>>37214966
Break down your eating into more meals, never feel hungry. Have a snack before bed of a pint of milk and some cheese or something.

I was the same and then I realised I could easily fit in 500 calories of decently calorie rich foods just as snacks every day. I also find having a big cooked breakfast helps me feel hungrier later as well.
>>
>>37214966
2 cups of whole milk + 4 tbs peanut butter + protein powder + banana. You can even crack in some eggs in there if you want, the peanut butter masks the taste. Easy 1000 calories and ton of protein.

It's much easier to drink your calories. Honestly the best thing for skellies.
>>
>>37211929
ione week off wont affect you just start at the same weight you left off or go down 5 or 10 pounds if youre not confident you can go back to where you where
>>
>>37215042
Can confirm. I used Serious Mass which was basically a protein shake for mass gaining. Took half a serving before bed (which was like over 700 calories) and helped me put on weight.

As for this homemade protein shake, I might try it. Been looking for a good recipe.
>>
Every now and again I get sessions where I'm wiped from one set with a small weight increase of 1kg. I get around 7-9 hours sleep most nights (sometimes more) and am doing a slow cut before either maintenance or bulking in the Autumn.
>>
>>37215042
One of my 5 meals is already a shake with 1L whole milk, 1 and half scoop whey, 2 bananas and peanut butter. Is there anything else I could drink to get calories from?
>>
>>37215095
How tiny are your other meals?
>>
>>37215095
More milk. If you want to be autistic about it you can schedule times on your phone as a reminder to go chug a glass of milk. 300 calories/16g of protein. It really is a godsend for skellies.

Not that I'm advocating full GOMAD, but half-GOMAD works for me.
>>
>>37210137
Squats aren't even necessary for legs – I stopped squatting about 6 months ago because I fucking hated them and just do high volume on leg press, haven't looked back since.
>>
>>37215141
Good shit bruh. Do you think Leg Press is the only necessary workout for legs? I really hate doing those other shits except squatting.
>>
>>37215153
Squat and leg press are enough in my opinion.

I don't even leg press anymore, just back squat and front squat.
>>
>>37215141
I think most people (who know what they're talking about) would agree that squats aren't absolutely necessary for big legs but that they are optimal. Especially in a functionally since they require balance, etc.
>>
>>37215153
I'll do 5-6 sets of leg press with a RPT rep scheme (6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20), 4 sets of extensions, 4 sets of leg curls, and then 6-8 sets of calves. imho leg press would be enough for your quads, but you need some extra work for hamstrings.
>>
File: 1461951170509.jpg (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1461951170509.jpg
11 KB, 300x300
>>37215141
>>
>>37215172
Squats are just an easy way to work the majority of leg muscles with lots of weight. They're just efficient desu.
>>
>>37215172
That's true, I would agree that they are the king of exercises (I ran SS when I started out), but I think mental health and consistency is more important than than a single exercise. I hated squats so fucking much I would dread (and sometimes skip) leg workouts, and since dropping them I hit legs a lot more consistently and enjoyably.
>>
>>37210137

Enjoy your underdeveloped hamstrings n00b scum

Also why would someone go to the gym and don't do heavy ass deadlifts
>>
>>37215236
Some gyms ban them
>>
>>37215193
Nice. Gonna remember this next time I go to the gym. Everything except extensions. I really HATE those since they put so much strain on my knees bruh.
>>
>>37210924
For the past year Ive been training with kettlebells exclusively. Ive really enjoyed them. They work for strength despite what many think. Kettlebells are easily available up to 203 lbs, if you can swing 406 then im fucking impressed.
>>
I know you can build an upper body push/pull imbalance from pressing more than pulling, but does it work like that for lower body with squatting more than hinging? Also can you pull too much and not push enough and have issues?
>>
>>37215369
Yes. It'd be a bit more difficult since squats still do involve the hamstrings, but you could develop lacking hamstrings if you don't deadlift/RDL'S, etc
>>
>>37212803
It works, provided you know enough about programming to keep your exercises balanced well and keep the workload at a reasonable amount. It can be fun but honestly is probably less efficient than a program
>>
>>37215369
You can have structural imbalances everywhere that can lead to issues. But luckily it doesn't have to be an exact science and doesn't have to be monitored that closely. Just make sure to train each major muscle group with an exercise selection and volume that is appropriate to its size.
Imbalances can still develop for one reason or the other, but it's not something you can't deal with as it happens.

For squatting, it's important to develop your hamstrings in particular.

Also, for the upper body it's not nearly as simple as just push and pull. But it's a good rule of thumb.
>>
>>37211720
OK I'm gonna change to 1500 cals. Should I eat that much until I reach my goal weight then eat at matienance?
>>
File: 20160518_123745.jpg (248 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160518_123745.jpg
248 KB, 1080x1920
How much fat do you think I need to lose to not have this pocket anymore? I've gone from 280 to 195. I was thinking about fifteen more pounds but I'm thinking it's more like twenty five now.

I'm just under 6 1 but we can round down to 6ft tall. Already gave weight. I feel like lifts are irrelevant so whatever.
>>
>>37215369
i took athletic training for a year and they say that there is a ratio of strength for quads to hamstrings and being outside that ratio is how athletes become more susceptible to tearing their ACL. but unless you are doing high speed activity where you change direction a lot that shouldn't be an issue.

if you are really concerned you can go somewhere where they strap your leg to this machine that your push and pull with your leg as hard as possible and it measures the ratio for you

i forgot what the ratio is and cbb to look it up rn
>>
>>37210137
High bar squats and front squats with some conventional deadlift, none of that sumo shit. Bike for cardio. You'll be fine.
>>
>>37210759
Lift and do more cardio. I go 5 to 6 days a week and do at least 30 min of cardio if i can but am for 45 to an hour.
>>
Getting married next week. Would I be super autismo if I brought my pullup bar so I can at least get a basic workout in? Going to be on an island for 9 days on honeymoon with no gym in sight and I'm scared of losing what little gains I have.
>>
>>37215528
you can go up to 2-3 weeks without losing any gains. dont do any workout, enjoy your new wife
>>
>>37215528
Ya just do pushups and crunches maybe jog you should be fine. Youll feel weak coming back but your body gets back to it fast.
>>
>>37215528
You wouldn't lose gains and you can always "overtrain" the week before leaving and eat right for dat dere super compensation.

But no, I don't think that's autismo and I don't see why your wife would have a problem either, it's not like you're spending two hours at an island gym.

Also, congrats! Wish you both the best
>>
>>37215553
>>37215570
>>37215574

T-thanks bros.
>>
>>37211225
Here's a legible version.
>>
Had a discussion with a friend today and long story short; he claims it's against gym etiquette to lift in socks.

Do you agree?
>>
The bar keeps slipping when I do Deadlifts it's only lmao2pl8 but my grip is so shit and the bar is really old too
Any way to improve them?
>>
>>37215723
FARMER'S WALKS
>>
>>37215510
Also do you think it's achievable by July?
>>
>>37214552
Yeah. The shoulder has been sore lately too. I've been reducing bench press weight and lateral raise weight to try and be easy on it and heal faster.
>>
>>37215723
Personally I use mixed grip for my working set deadlift. Most people move onto mixed grip at some point because the grip is always what fails first.
>>
>>37210759
Read the sticky
>>
I noticed in the routine threads that 8-12 reps per set are recommended for db routines.
What about if I'm stuck using only dumbbells? Is there a certain weight (give or take via fuzzy logic) wherein its better to switch to 3x5 as opposed to 3x8 for better, more consistant progress?
>>
>>37215802
I do use it. The bar is really old and my grip is shit so it still doesn't help after a few sets
>>37215753
I'll try that
>>
>>37216004
>>37215753
Getting your grip stronger is important but your grip strength will not be able to keep up with the posterior chain and legs. Mixed grip or hook is almost mandatory if you want to push higher weights at a decent pace.
>>
I started lifting about 1 month ago. Whenever I squat I feel quite a lot of tension in my lower back. It's quite uncomfortable and a bit painful. It's usually only for the first rep. Then after the first rep it goes away. Is this normal? It's an amount of discomfort that made me come here and ask just to be sure.
I don't only have it with squatting, but also when I lift plates off the ground with bad form (rounded back).
Is this soreness or the start of an injury?
I also have to note that doing squats is quite difficult for me because im not very agile at all. I can squat about 50kg/110lbs atm for 8 reps.
>>
File: 1393403196404.jpg (6 KB, 222x225) Image search: [Google]
1393403196404.jpg
6 KB, 222x225
this is your brain on weed
>>37214072
>>
>>37211720
>better than having tits
well that hit a little too close of home
>>
>>37216059
Hook?
>>
>>37216075
Hard to tell if it's anything worth worrying over. I get some aches and pains for the first warmup squats. But other than that it's painless. The pain from lifting weights off the ground feels to me like it might indicate something. Posting a video of your squats is always helpful. If you've only lifted about a month you might have mobility issues. So look into that. Also make sure your stance is wide enough since too narrow will force you to bend a lot at the lower back. A trick I like for finding suitable stance is to just sit squatted for a few minutes. Your ideal stance is likely to be the one that actually allows you to sit as comfortable as possible for several minutes.
>>
>>37216059
Still stands that struggling at 225 with grip means train grip considering you can pull over double that with double overhand
>>
>>37216203
Mean Mixed grip or Hook grip. Hook grip is a style of grip that lets you lift heavier. I'm not very familiar with it though.
>>
>>37215766
>>37215510
Pls
>>
>>37216225
> you can pull over double that with double overhand

Elaborate
>>
>>37216260
You can pull more than 450lbs with a normal double-overhand grip...
>>
>>37216217
Great reply. Thanks!
>>
What are your tips to prevent bar rolling out of hands in didlylift? I start with a good grip (bar right beneath my calouses), but by the time I get to the top, bar rests on 4 fingers (kinda thumbless grip)
>>
File: 1327045307502.jpg (5 KB, 251x240) Image search: [Google]
1327045307502.jpg
5 KB, 251x240
>>37211070
>you will drop the bar on yourself and die, which is very deleterious to gains.
>>
>>37210656
H I G H T E S T
I
G
H
T
E
S
T
>>
>>37216269
are you implying that it's humanly possible or what do you mean. You should train grip yes, but your deadlift should not be limited by your grip strength. Getting grip strength up to 450 likely takes longer than getting the movement muscles to that level.
>>
>>37210656
sorry for the bad hightest joke
weight lifting is always good
if you've stalled, it might be the perfect moment to start doing HIIT
>>
>>37216324
Yes it's humanly possible and I disagree. You should do supplementary work for grip. Not only are farmers walks good for grip, but they're good for fat loss, traps, rear delts, and forearms most of all. No reason not to add them to the end of a couple sessions a week. Grip, when actually trained, is fast gains.
>>
>>37216383
Any tips for doing farmers walk when I don't have a long clear path? My gym is pretty tiny and pretty full of stuff everywhere.Walk in the spot?
>>
>>37216445
Static holds for time then. Dead hangs are okay to do, too.

Be sure you're not shrugging at all and your forearms and hands are really doing work
>>
How important are deadlifts when I already do power cleans?

Can I switch out back squats for front squats?

Should I do chin/pull-ups weighted 3x5 or just bodyweight 3xF?
>>
>>37216247
Pls respond
>>
>>37216590
dunno

I don't think so, Rippetoe made a front squat instruction video where he basically said he didn't recommend them unless you're doing Olympic.

Depends on your goals but generally I'd suggest weighted.
>>
>>37210137
>Are squats enough for legs on their own? Will I get any problems doing only squats for leg training?
Do your set of squats and than match it with same weight/reps for calf raises.
Then take your break between sets.

Saves a lot of time, knocks all leg workouts in one go.
>>
>>37214618
do you have sources for the time under tension vs. weekly volume? not saying you're wrong just genuinely curious
>>
If when I put the weight down on a rack pull, I do a squat to set the weight down, is this giving me any sort of adequate quad work?
>>
>>37216590
since power cleans (done correctly) are such a fast movement, doing them alone won't strengthen your lower body as much as if you incorporated deads
>>
>>37216755
No
>>
>>37216755
Why would lowering the weight work the quads in any way.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-18-12-43-49.png (847 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-18-12-43-49.png
847 KB, 1080x1920
>>37216770
Shit. I'm getting antsy since I can't do a full squat right now. Might just do fucking leg extensions
>>
>>37210656
Great job by the way. You are going to see some good results in the following months
>>
>>37216802
Keep stretching and doing mobility work. You can try split squats, too. I have a knee problem from a wreck and split squats are the only thing I can do really. I've gotten up to 85lbs in each hand.
>>
>>37216840
Yeah I'll try those out. They don't seem like they'll hurt.

It's my hip though so we'll see. I got to 2plates and then hip pain and haven't tried since then.
>>
If someone says they bench 2 plates, does that mean they do 1 on each side (1+1=2) or does it mean 2 on each side (2+2=4)?
>>
>>37215633
Depends on the gym. I run a small little studio gym and I make people take off their shoes if they're wearing shitty running shoes. Commercial gyms probably have a sanitary rule though.

Completely barefoot is pretty nasty tho.
>>
>>37216997
4. 2pl8 = 225 lbs.
>>
>>37215616
Totally late but thanks!
>>
>>37216829
That's what I'm hoping for!
I have noticed some good muscle definition gains despite still needing to lose almost 30lbs!!
I'm excited.
>>
Does ZMA really improve your gainz?
>>
>>37217207
Yes dear god yes
>>
File: 1461339650701.jpg (264 KB, 1440x1969) Image search: [Google]
1461339650701.jpg
264 KB, 1440x1969
>>37210137
Does anyone here do Intermittent Fasting?
Will it hurt my gaines if I don't eat anything for 4-5h after getting up in the morning?
>>
What are good isolation excercises? I have muscular imbalance on my legs. My nerves are also fucked up, I have no feeling on my outer toes if that matters
>>
>>37217256
Split squats are god tier leg isolation
>>
What do if my left pec is noticably smaller than my right?
>>
>>37217323
Go to the doctor and ask the same question
>>
>>37217239

I am. Working great for me so far. You will be fine. Unless you are competing I wouldn't worry about things like meal timing. Just make sure to hit your macros by the end of the day and you the gains will come.
>>
>>37217323
shits natural
>>
>>37217277
Thanks bro
>>
So I hate barbell rows. I have done them for so long and I am done with them. I use correct form I just really dislike them and its such an awkward lift for me.

Deadlifts aren't enough for my back right? What should I include if I'm not gonna do rows anymore? Pull ups? Chin ups? Lat pull down?

Or is deadlift enough?
>>
>>37217402
deadlift is enough for lower back, lat pull down is one of my favorites for a bicep/back workout
wide grip pull-ups are good with some added weight
>>
>>37217439

I finally had the realization today....wait I don't have to fucking do this lift lol.

Thank you for the info. I don't have a belt to add weight to my pullups...can I nig rig something?

I thought about just putting a backpack on and putting a weight in it but I realized that might not be good since the weight will be on your back instead of hanging evenly between your legs. Might feel awkward.
>>
>>37210137
>>37210510

I never developed big quads from back squats. At least not the hip draaahv way Rippetoe says to do 'em. I got huge hamstrings but not quads, I don't really feel it as a quad centric exercise. I tried a leg press once and it destroyed me. Am I squatting wrong?
>>
I usually work 11 hour shifts, and don't get lunch breaks to cook or warm up food. What are things I can take to work to keep up on eating properly?
>>
>>37210137
Tfw want to look like Rollo. That feel when lookING like Floki
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.