[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>sister sees my home gym >freaks out about there being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: homogym.jpg (2 MB, 3831x2554) Image search: [Google]
homogym.jpg
2 MB, 3831x2554
>sister sees my home gym
>freaks out about there being too much weight
>says if i want an arm workout i can just go for a jog with 1kg dumbells
>she's a doctor
>a medical doctor
>>
File: 1460835017280.png (167 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1460835017280.png
167 KB, 396x385
What med school did she go to ?
>>
>>37148731

Doctors
Knowing anything a professor hasn't taught them
>>
>>37148766
here you go sir, you dropped these

>
>
>>
How much weight even is there?
>>
>>37148731
You are behind by 3 layers of irony, my friend. She has successfully baited you.
>>
>>37148731
Doctors know fuck all about physical exercise.
>>
>>37148731
On another note, going to a gym for the first time ever and i have no idea how that is, like these places usually have trainers right? Because i know fuckall about working out
>>
>>37148803
most gym have trainers but they are all DYEL and give you stupid plans and actually don't know their shit

most of them at least, in my experience
>>
>>37148812
They surely know some basic shit which is far better than my 0 knoledge level, i've never been in a gym before and i'm sort of autistic , i'd rather not make myself look like an idiot using some sort if machine wrong
>>
>>37148803
How many threads are you going to post this in?
>>
>>37148731
>no deadlifting mats
>>
>>37148824
Does she lift more than Arnie?
>>
>>37148824
Read the sticky.

Google stronglifts and it will teach you a basic workout, imho
>>
>>37148755
One of the most respected in the western world, she lectures in Europe frequently

>>37148774
All up 200kg of rubber coated plates, including 3 pairs of 20kilos, and a pair of 20kg bumpers. enough to reach 4pl8 without getting more
>>
>>37148731
How much did your homegym cost? We've got those plates (ones on the z-bar) at my gym, so I know it's not some shite brand.
>>
>>37148824
Read the sticky, do SS with accessories (pull ups, dips n shit. Trappy Chan has an info graphic on it) YouTube all your exercises. Can go rippetoe for form. Candito is probably better. Alan thrall. There's heaps out there. Just get the gist.
Start with just the bar and keep working your way up until you can only manage ~5 reps.
Literally no one cares what you do at the gym though. As long as you have good/full ROM and don't go beyond your capabilities with weight, no one will bat an eyelid
>>
>>37148838
Only 3 so far, spreading the same question over different topic threads grants me more opinions at a faster rate from several sources(gymrats) so i optimise my behaviour in the gym, so far it seems most gyms have trainers and they will help me in the beggining but the general /fit/ consensus is that they don't know much themselfves
>>
File: cat corner.jpg (1 MB, 3284x2189) Image search: [Google]
cat corner.jpg
1 MB, 3284x2189
>>37148855
just over $2000 dollarydoos.
or, half the cost of the rack 90% of home gyms on youtube have
>>
>>37148864
>ROM??
>5 reps
You mean 5 pull ups? I'm a skelly i can do far more than that
>>
>>37148731
Just fuck her in the ass dude
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (204 KB, 800x1033) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
204 KB, 800x1033
>>37148812

Tfw my gym is owned by the quadfather Tom Platz. Nobody questions his authority although he became small.
>>
>>37148731
Those poor tiles man.
>>
>>37148887
ROM is range of movement. Aka, don't half rep
They're called weighted pull ups bud
>>
>>37148904
it's lino. we're poor.
>>
>>37148892
you must be an Arab, westerners don't fuck their family
>>
>>37148918
Oh, alrighty then. Carry on.
>>
>>37148923
Okay, cletus
>>
You can't really expect doctors to know much about resistance training. Even as a physiotherapist two thirds of my fellow students know fuck all about lifting. It's embarressing.

Still, suggesting going for a jog with 1 kg dumbbells is beyond retarded.
>>
File: asperger king.gif (32 KB, 650x422) Image search: [Google]
asperger king.gif
32 KB, 650x422
>>37148874
You'll fit in here just fine.
>>
>>37148731

these are the same fuckwits the government listens to on what substances to keep from the public, telling the gubment vaping is dangerous, charging you 150$ for some antibiotics, and ranking #1 cause of death from medical "mistakes"

google anecdotal evidence from the masses is more informative than these quacks. fucking hate these cocksuckers so much
>>
>>37148848
you're full of shit, if someone asks which med school she went to, you give a fucking name and not its reputation. You neither lift nor do you have a fucking sister, you jiggly attention whore, probably look like Don Vito you piece of crap
>>
>>37148995
>Tfw gf is a physio
>Tfw I am budding S&C/Weightlifting coach
>She's doing sports massage and has to log 100 practical hours
>Get free massages
>Teach her better exercise technique than her stupid lecturers
feelsgoodman
>>
>>37148731
https://youtu.be/RD_44xEEDjU?t=274
>>
>>37148848
>she lectures in Europe frequently
Where?
>>
>>37149114
>my girlfriend feels other men up for hours everyday
>feelsgoodman
>>
>>37148885
Is the home gym the most expensive thing you own by chance?
>>
It's amazing how dumb most doctors are. Unless they just happen to be interested in it as a hobby they know nothing about training or nutrition. I spoke to a neuroscientist that was doing his PhD once that was convinced eggs were a source of carbs and that tomatoes, peppers etc contained scopolamine (actually it's Solanine).
>>
Sports doctors know their shit
They work with professional athletes

Is she a sports doctor? No? Then tell her to fuck off
>>
Normies are wierd like that. My uncle would always brag how he used to lift, was strong, got 2% bf (lol) and he said he quit for functional strength aka boxing and said squatted 250 lbs. When i told him i swuatted 370 lbs after 2 years of training, he told me that's too much weight.
>>
>>37148848
>>>37148755
>One of the most respected in the western world, she lectures in Europe frequently

since when do doctors need to know about healthy individuals putting on muscle mass?
>>
>>37153073
5th year med fag here.
From a medical point of view there's no reason for doctors to know that stuff, I mean it feels like something they should know, just on principle but it's never going to help you in practice. Even in bariatrics or in endocrinology where you deal with morbid obesity daily. It's all just, "here's a gastric band, dont stuff your face so much fatty"
>>
>>37148731

Fucking Australians.
>>
>>37153073

They're not going to know much of anything outside their particular point of expertise in medicine.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1461340364410.jpg (13 KB, 404x348) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1461340364410.jpg
13 KB, 404x348
>>37148731
i have a similar one
>final heart checkup after myocarditis shit healed 4 weeks after
>doc asks me what my PE was for this semester and told her it was badminton
>tells me it was "strenous"
>asks me if i work out and how long
>told her I box, mma, tkd, and weights. it was 3 hours at most
>tells me to take it down to 1 hour because working out for more than that can fuck with your body
>>
Getting mad at doctors for not being /fit/tards?
>like getting mad at car mechanics for not putting down some sick repeatable lap times
>>
>>37156439

Not really. Since doctors are in the position of giving advice, you would expect, at the very least, for them not to be spreading information that is blatantly incorrect or alarmist.
>>
>>37148731
Clean up your "home gym" you lazy fuck.
>>
Doctors only know their specialty, and even then don't do too well with that.

What doctors are good at
>Trauma treatment
>Identifying stuff that they learned about and remember
>Making you go through every minor check they can so that they meet requirements for malpractice

Unless it's a common ailment doctors aren't as wise as you believe.

They know almost nothing about general nutrition or kinesiology, both of which aren't well understood by their own fields either.
>>
>>37148796
Seriously this. Unless they have a personal interest, nutrition and exercise are not stuff they focus on
>>
>>37156578
> I, an amateur weightlifter posting on a hmong waterfowl betting board, have a far better grasp of medicine than any professional

I am frankly asking why you believe what you believe
>>
>>37157510
I come from a family of doctors and am one myself. If not for my own interest in nutrition and weightlifting then I would be just as misinformed.

The advice you get from a doctor is generalizations from outdated studies.
>>
>>37148731
>>37148796
>>37148848
>>37148995
>>37153073

I started a kind of sports medicine program at my school, I changed majors before the year was even out, but even then this is actually a problem that we touched on a few times in a couple classes.

Medical doctors learn about ways people's bodies are injured and disordered. Right off the bat this is practically a disadvantage compared to normal people, since they will be overcautious about the potential for injury from activities outside the norm.

They have a much stronger than normal potential to fall into an even worse problem than what I sometimes hear called "engineer's disease". It kind of looks like an area where they have expert authority, so they speak with certainty, but they don't actually have it.

My question to a doctor (who was also bad in other ways; he tried to get me to do acupuncture for my chronic headache) who tried to pull this crap on me was to ask him from what specific studies he derived this idea that that was an unhealthy amount of weight training (be careful with this, I was planning to back it up because I was still in college at the time, and had access through the school to research databases). Luckily that shut him up, whether it convinced him he didn't know what he was talking about, or it just made him feel like it wasn't worth the argument.

>>37148874
>>37148803
Please do not make off-topic posts in unrelated threads.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.