[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bait Machines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6
What are some other workouts/machines that are bait to new lifters?
>>
Smith machines being worthless is a meme. The only downside is that the fixed path leads to less stabilization being utilized by your muscles, but the machine hardly "does the work for you".
>>
Smith machines are great adjustable height pullup bars
>>
>>37127049
>>37127148
They're still sort of memey. Most (not all) lifters can benefit from using a free barbell rather than smith. But hey, smith is good for heavy shrugs or behind the back shrugs.

Lots of machines can be kind of shitty. The non cable kind. Or the stupid ab machine you sit in and curl forward with. They have utility but they're not my thing
>>
>>37127148

>But the machine hardly "Does the work for you"

Go do a regular bench.
Then go do a Smith Machine bench.

I guarantee you can add about 70+ pounds to your bench on the smith. Or, if you're doing the same weight, can do a million times more reps than you could on a regular bench.

The machine definitely does most of the work for you.
>>
>>37127163

Speaking of which, assisted pull up machine. Literally does nothing.
>>
>>37127174
Agreed, but if a smith is your only option its not too much worse than a regular rack. It would just take more time to adjust to correct form and stabilization when you did go back to a regular rack.

>>37127185
Really not true at all. I'd like to see video evidence of someone trying this.
>>
>>37127049
Flyes. Especially with dumbbells
>>
>>37127233

>It would just take more time to adjust to correct form and stabilization when you did go back to a regular rack

This is why people shit on smith. You have to learn form when you go back to/start regular benching and have to cut your bench weight back by a good amount to do so if ALL you know is smith.
>>
>>37127210
when my scales broke i used the assisted pullup machine to gauge my weight to the nearest 10 kg, it was kinda useful then
>>
I feel like the preacher curl machine is biggest meme machine there is
>>
>>37127233
Go on Instagram. I've watched dyels bench 185 for reps on a smith, but use maybe 155 for 5x3 with a free barbell.
>>
>>37127210
I can't do chin ups on my own anon.
>>
Weighted ab crunch is hands down the most bait exercise machine available. It's in use just about at all time in my gym and I don't know why.
>>
>>37127249
It would only take one workout session to get it back down, and by the second you'd be back up to whatever weight you left off on. Just like when you get back in the gym after a week or two off. Nothing worth pissing yourself over
>>
>>37127296

I used to be you, anon. Couldn't do a single chin up/pull up. You know what I did?

Lat pulldowns. Then I realized those had nothing to do with pull up, so every week on Pull day I'd try to do a pull up. Eventually I realized my arms were waaay too far apart and cranked a few out once I inched them a bit inward.

It's also easier to do them on a bar that is JUST above your height, or at least it seems that way. Dead hangs are better than assisted pull ups though, at least you can practice the form. If all else fails, just do some negatives.

Always form check.
>>
All these smith machine sympathizers must be coming in from that advice thread.

Don't do anything on the smith machine if you don't have to. It's just bait.
>>
>>37127352
Or instead of going on some autistic roundabout journey you could just do assisted pull ups until you don't need the assistance anymore. You know, the intention of the assisted pull up machine.
>>
>>37127352
>if all else fails do negatives
>dead hangs and assisted pullups
Dont listen to this nerd and do negative sets of five until you can replace negatives with regular reps
>>
>>37127363
You sound like the type of person who buys preworkout, or does a brosplit

>>37127287
Link one
>>
>>37127341
But we're not talking about using it once in awhile as a substitute. If a person only uses a smith machine, their form will be non existent with free weights, and their results will be pretty shit. Not only that, but the bar path on the Smith machine will put more stress on your shoulders at the top of the rep. The smith machine is bad for compound lifts. It forces your body into unnatural positions during the lift, making injuries much more likely.
>>
>>37127411
Fair enough, if a person spent like their first year lifting with a smith machine only it would take a lot longer to properly do normal compounds. Newbies should avoid smiths at all costs. I think you're exaggerating the injury potential though, unless its like some powerlifter going for an ego rep on a smith machine, but that never happens.
>>
>>37127397
https://youtu.be/0z6dOd9aXw4
Skip to the 1:50 mark
>>
>>37127436
I'm not really exaggerating it. Forcing your body into those unnatural positions will result in tendons and muscles moving out of place to compensate the motion, by doing this repeatedly you will cause long term joint issues (if left untreated) or at the least, get extremely bad knots that can hault your gains fairly quickly.
>>
>>37127049
leg press

lets jackholes load up infinity pounds, use a 2 inch ROM, and think that they are gods among men for such a Herculean feat of strength.
>>
>>37127185

sooo much this. Always keking hard when newfags switch from smith to normal bench. Hurr Durr I can bench 225 on a smith machine, switches to bench and merely does the half.
>>
>>37127490

What are some leg exercises I should add on leg day that aren't leg presses? I already do RDLs, Squats, calf raises, and leg curls
>>
File: vcrusher[1].jpg (60 KB, 750x380) Image search: [Google]
vcrusher[1].jpg
60 KB, 750x380
This piece of shit here. Meme machine for cardio bunnies
>>
>>37127527

This is what happened to me. Did Smith for a year when I started lifting due to lack of real equipment at the gym I went to, didn't know how 2pl8 was ever considered a huge milestone. Moved and went to a gym with actual equipment, couldn't even 1 pl8 regular bench, had to learn form, basically reset my bench back by a year.

Shit sucked, I just try to warn people now to use smith as a supplement more than a base if they're going to use it at all.
>>
>>37127564

Ah yes, the spread eagle machine. We have 2 of those lined up right in front of the benching area so you get wafts of vag every time you press.

Wouldn't recommend it.
>>
where/how do you guys like to fit in shrugs? I feel annoying doing them in the 1 squat rack in my gym.
>>
>>37127603

Free weight/curl area. I superset them with curls.
>>
>>37127603
Use the Smith machine or dumbbells
>>
>>37127148
>Smith machines
were a mistake.
>>
>>37127564
This machine saved my tight hips

My squat feels more natural after about 3 sets of warming up on the vag machine with medium weight.

Definitely not a meme machine if used correctly
>>
>>37127564
The piss flaps machines are very valuable for your abductors/adductors and for your pelvic pavement. Every time I use those my test goes over the roof, I can literally fuck 5 times in a row.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
106 KB, 1280x720
Squat Machine.

Why you would use it instead of real squat or hell, even a smith machine is beyond my understanding
>>
>>37127781
how does this even work?
>>
>>37127781
What the fuck. These exist?
>>
>>37127781
I fucking hate commercial gyms
>>
>>37127798
>>37127804

https://youtu.be/zGK71fvZptU

ask your coach senpai, he knows the proper routines
>>
>>37127826
It's a fucking deadlift. It's a hex bar deadlift.
>>
>>37127826
>>
File: o[1].jpg (25 KB, 522x348) Image search: [Google]
o[1].jpg
25 KB, 522x348
>>37127878

NOOO ITS A SQUAT, THE COACH SAYS SO.

There is even squat written on the machine, anon. Can't you read?

We don't do loud deadlifts here, you lunk!
>>
>>37127826
What the fuck did I just watch?

Jesus
>>
>so assblasted from another thread that he creates his own thread to compensate
>>
>>37127603
You don't need to do shrugs or else you'll look like a turtle
>>
>>37127924

OP here, actually anon, I created this thread then stumbled upon that other thread.

Wouldn't have made it if I saw the massive smith machine discussion there beforehand. I would have at least used a different picture. I just wanted to shitpost.
>>
>>37127148
it isn't just stabilization, it's also because it converts any vector force into upwards motion. Meaning you can push at an angle (which might be much stronger) and still get the vertical motion only.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (66 KB, 1272x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
66 KB, 1272x720
Chest press is also idiotic. Nothing replaces a longbar flat bench press.

Don't forget to ask your coach how to you use it!

https://youtu.be/E7O4K6nskNU?list=PL014CBBA60A3F00C4
>>
>>37127957

link to other thread?
>>
>>37127826
oh my
>>
>>37127993
Why chest press machine gets such bad rep?
>>
>>37127438
I'm all for free weigths but he is not pushing the same weigth, the smith machine's bar is lighter than a barbell
>>
>>37127993

>What's the difference between a contracting and stretching movement
<all my what
>>
>tfw brother refuses to spot you and you have no choice but to smith
>>
>>37127436
The inability to change the bar path is what makes them so damn dangerous
>>
>>37127564
Good for fixing knee valgus in squats from weak glutes/adductors, so no, not a meme at all.
>>
>>37128248
Squat in squat rack or learn how to bail out of bench with roll of shame or something. Why even do smith machine when it gives 0 gains
>>
>>37127210
Can't bench your own bodyweight
>Everybody starts somewhere, anon. Just choose a lighter weight, lift with good form, and progressively work toward heavier and heavier weight.

Can't press your own bodyweight.
>Everybody starts somewhere, anon. Just choose a lighter weight, lift with good form, and progressively work toward heavier and heavier weight.

Can't squat your own bodyweight.

Can't pull up your own bodyweight.
>HAHA FAGGOT DON'T USE AN ASSISTED PULL UP MACHINE TO PROGRESSIVELY OVERLOAD YOUR PULL UP. THEY'RE MEME MACHINES. YOUR BACK MUSCLES DON'T WORK THAT WAY LMAO
>>
>>37128437
do you use the smith machine to squat if you can't squat bodyweight?
>>
>>37127490
>leg press machine is bait because people don't is it properly

I guess barbells are bait too, then.
>>
>>37128248

why would you need a spotter for the squat rack? Unless you do 600+ pounds they are not needed.
>>
>>37127931
>he doesn't want dem dere Bane traps
>>
>>37127993
>>37128105

i find it a decent for a beginner, needing a bit of confidence, espically when all those dyels hogging the benches
>>
>>37128483
The assisted pull up machine doesn't restrict your ROM or force a strict vertical path. It just applies upward force to your feet, which you may position however you like.

If you're arguing that, like a smith machine, assisted pull up machines are dangerous for your joints, you're a fucking retard.

If you're arguing that you can't get stronger using an assisted pull up machine, allowing you to transition to unassisted pull ups in time, you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>37127352
yea, assisted isnt the best to get better at pullups, and is useless for chinups. just negative and reduced rom cheated chinups
>>
>>37127564
It helps to make cardio bunnies vagoo tighter. So no meme.
>>
>>37128437

>being this blasted because he can't do a pull up
>>
>>37128172
Even if it was 20 pounds lighter, he's still moving 90% of his one rep max with ease
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.