[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it bad to eat sweet potato every day?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: Ipomoea_batatas_006.jpg (3 MB, 2146x1611) Image search: [Google]
Ipomoea_batatas_006.jpg
3 MB, 2146x1611
Is it bad to eat sweet potato every day?
>>
It's bad to not eat sweet potato every day
>>
Bro food 101.
>>
Nope
>>
If you look up the nutritional facts about potatoes you can see how healthy they are. Theyre a way better starch than the rice i alwayssee advertised on this board.
>>
>>37094664
Potatoes/Sweet potatoes are not bad if you don't care about the GI. However if you care about that, you should avoid baking them (BOTH) sweet potatoe and "normal" potatoes have around the same GI when baked. It's a lot better to eat them boiled (Like 54 GI vs 80-90+ check google senpai I can't remember exact numbers). But yeah, they're both good nutritionally talking
>>
No, but you can turn orange if you eat too much. Same goes for carrots, is only temporary and not harmful, so if you start to turn orange, especially noticeable in the palms of your hands, cool it on the SP's and careots
>>
>>37094722
How much does this GI thing matter? And i thought that sweet potatoes where very low on that while normal potatoes where high?
>>
Any good sweet tater recipes lads?
>>
>>37094846
it means the carbs are released faster which is a no no
>>
>>37094562

Probably the best substantial carb source known to man.

My digestion and overall body composition is just plain better the more I eat sweet potatoes.
>>
>>37094722

tldr: potatoes spike your blood sugar faster than sugar.
>>
>>37094863
yes but how much does it matter?
>>
>>37094863

not necessarily?

if you're post-workout fast carbs are ideal.
>>
>>37094883
Basically you can develop insulin resistance if you eat a lot of high GI foods
>>37094886
Ehh, they do help with gains afaik, but that doesn't make it healthy
>>
>>37094919
Insulin resistance = beetus
>>
>>37094863
"Recent research has also shown that extracts from sweet potatoes can significantly increase blood levels of adiponectin in persons with type 2 diabetes. Adiponectin is a protein hormone produced by our fat cells, and it serves as an important modifier of insulin metabolism. Persons with poorly-regulated insulin metabolism and insulin insensitivity tend to have lower levels of adiponectin, and persons with healthier insulin metabolism tend to have higher levels. While more research on much larger groups of individuals to further evaluate and confirm these blood sugar regulating benefits, this area of health research is an especially exciting one for anyone who loves sweet potatoes but is nevertheless concerned about healthy blood sugar regulation."

There is a lot more to it than the GI rating of a food. Also by just adding some fats with your sweet potato can significantly decrease the GI rating.
>>
>>37094562
i hope not, i've planned to cut rice out of my diet and replace it with sweet potatoes. my chicken/vege thai curries aren't going to be the same but it'll all mix up nicely i hope.
>>
I eat sweet potato pancakes with cottage cheese after every gym session. Potatoes, eggs and oats mixed together.
>>
I've never eaten them before. What's the best way to cook them
>>
>>37095501
boiling/steaming/microwave/baking/frying

in that order i believe... leave the skin on but give it a scrub. the skin is one of the best parts, and apparently baking kills a good portion of the good shit in the skin. just google or youtube, tons of options.. you can zap it for 5-6 minutes and eat it like that, or whatever. just don't fry it unless you do a stir fry or something i guess. really any way you cook it is better than most other things you would eat, just eat it.
>>
>>37095501
>buy a few pounds of SP
>clean em good
>cube them, leaving the skin
>boil for 20-30 minutes with some aromatics (cinnamon stick or two, some cloves, etc)
>strain
>mash
>store in small containers in fridge
you now have mashed SP for a side or post-workout whenever
>>
>>37094919
that is not entirely true though

GI says how much is spikes your blood sugar, not insulin

if the insulin index was high too, it would develop insulin resistance eventually. But some high GI foods give a greater insulin response than other high GI foods

like combining protein and a carb will generate a higher insulin response than just the carb
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.