[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, first time posting on /fit/ I searched the sticky for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
Hello, first time posting on /fit/

I searched the sticky for info on energy drinks and whatnot, didn't find anything. If I missed it... OOPS!

Anyway, so the topic of this post is... energy drinks. What I want to know is, are there REALLY any serious adverse side effects to drinking these? A brief medical background of me:

>20, male
>No heart problems ever
>really no health problems except for being overweight and having shit sleep-hygiene
>Don't drink, smoke, do drugs, shit like that; I don't even drink soda anymore and only rarely drink coffee
>Recently got a gym membership and go for an hour 1-3 times a week (definitely need to work on that)
>no job yet but the one I will soon be working at is 3rd shift (7:00PM - 7:00AM)

The ONLY type of energy drink I have is the one in the thread pic: low carb Monster.

I'm not sure if this will scare anyone or not but I usually drink 1-2 of those a day... yeah.

I came here looking for some sort of consensus on this, I've heard from some that it's terrible for you, from some that it's relatively harmless, from some that it gives you cancer, and my parents won't stop begging me to quit.

At this point I don't really feel a "spike" in energy or a "crash" afterwards, I don't even feel addicted, I just always liked carbonated drinks and I stopped drinking soda because of the insane sugar and calories (the monster I drink has really low sugar, carbs, and calories per serving).

So with all that in mind, what is /fit/'s consenus? Please educate me on this matter, thanks.
>>
I mean they're not gonna kill you, but they are very bad for you. Just drink coffee or take caffeine pills instead.
>>
>>37089727
Tldr; if you're serious about making it you would cut energy drinks out
>>
>>37089753
Thing is, I don't really drink them for energy, I drink them for the taste. I guess I just have to get over that desire then.
>>
i mix pre workout into a monster(white kind) when im feeling like total shit after a long day at work but i only do it like 2-3 times a month

Otherwise i just chug black coffee
>>
>>37089727
They are bad for your heart famalamadingdong.

Stop drinking them.
>>
>>37089727
they're harmless. you're good to go.
Just don't go completely overboard. too much caffeine can cause permanent sleepiness due to synaptic plasticity.

apart from that, the sugar would be a problem. but as you're drinking the low carb variety, that shouldn't be an issue. I don't know which kinds of sweeteners are in there, but bear in mind that recent research has found out that artificial sweeteners still can fuck around with your insulin levels. but these are all things that hold true for any soda, and there's people chugging down gallons of that stuff.

tl;dr with 1-2 cans a day you have nothing to worry about.
>>
The dangerous effects are a meme perpetuated by soccer moms because some retard 7 year old had a heart attack after drinking like five of them.

They're the same thing as a soda with extra caffeine and B12. They have a high amount of sugar but aren't any worse for you than soda.
>>
>>37089727

honestly, health wise they're harmless barring the caffeine, but the 400mg in two of those daily isn't going to hurt you, it's like three moderate cups of coffee

what they will do however is fuck your enamel up, hard

if you insist on drinking something that is as good for your teeth as a rusty grate duct-taped to a chainsaw, please bring straws with you and drink it using those so that it only touches the back of your mouth
>>
File: tumblr_nzoc26S7u11t1fn1go1_500.jpg (75 KB, 347x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzoc26S7u11t1fn1go1_500.jpg
75 KB, 347x750
I was drinking 3-4 a day of the zero sugar rockstars but after a few months of this my kidneys started to hurt at least I think thats what it was, both sides of my body hurt by the lower part of my ribcage, I quit since.
>>
>>37089753
>>37089813
>white monster
this is what i drink as well. Lame Norton does too and he's PHD so... I trust him more than some shitposters on /fit/.
usually my preworkout these days is I mix my BCAA's and Creatine with white monster and either sip throughout the workout (seems to work best) or finish it right before I get to the gym. I like it.
>>
Low cal/0 cal Energy drinks are just weaker PWO. Fuck the memes
>>
File: water-glass.jpg (1 MB, 2577x3866) Image search: [Google]
water-glass.jpg
1 MB, 2577x3866
If you're trying to lose weight then it's silly. You're literally drinking a meal.

Most important part of losing weight is diet, eating below your maintenance. If you're drinking 200 calories worth of shit today your fucking yourself over because that's giving you no sustenance yet taking up part of what you're allowed to eat for today.

Plus generally "low sugar, low carb" drinks have a lot of other shit in them to make up for the lack of sugar and end up being just as bad.

Pic related, the only drink for patricians. Anyone who says otherwise is a weak-willed faggot who's trying to justify drinking shit.
>>
>>37091140

Difference being he's not overweight trying to cut down and he works out several hours every day with a strictly controlled diet. He makes room for the energy drink within his diet.

The Rock eats about 4,000 calories a day. He also trains 3 times a day and roids. Just because someone aesthetic acts one way doesn't mean you can. You don't have their genetics, you don't train like them, you don't roid like them and you don't diet like them.

"Bu-but Lame Norton drinks energy drinks"

Yep. Sure does. That's no excuse.
>>
I was in a similar situation to you anon, 20 and overweight and I was drinking 1 a day (sugar free), sometimes 2 but not often.

Personally I didn't feel any sort of negative effects from it but it was becoming too expensive for me. I did notice once I stopped drinking them I felt incredibly worn out for like a day or two.

Much like the other anons are saying it's probably not real good for your teeth and definitely less healthy than just drinking water but really all you need to worry about health wise is the caffeine and if that's not a problem for you and you can afford it then I don't really see a problem with it.
>>
>>37089859
>permanent
>plasticity

do you even understand what you said?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.