[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you redpill me on Keto? I've been on it for about two
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10
File: 1461015431120.jpg (178 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1461015431120.jpg
178 KB, 1000x750
Can you redpill me on Keto? I've been on it for about two weeks and I've lost some weight, but I feel a little groggy.

Should I institute some small amount of carbs back into my diet (obviously I'd fall out of ketosis) or stick with it?

I know there's a litany of opinions on this; this thread will decide whether I remain on it or go grab some oats.
>>
>>37086309
How fat are you? One thing people fuck up with me to is they eat too much protein.
Keto to should be like 70%fat 25%protein and 5%carb for actual keto macros. You're probably not getting enough potassium or other salts either.
Check out /r/keto, fit is a cancer board not to be used for information gathering.
>>
>>37086622

Just need to lose about 20lbs; I'm 'bout 6ft, 200lbs. I put on some mass awhile back, but I carry too much fat in my thighs and abdomen. Just want to finally be rid of it.

Thanks for the recommendation, I probably haven't been getting enough potassium.
>>
>>37086309
your brain dies without carbs. you feel like shit without carbs.

the process of turning fat into ATP is long and pisses off your body, which is why you are tired all the time.
>>
consider one thing: literally nobody who does keto looks good
>>
>>37086309
The red pill: It's just a kcal deficit, nothing special. Protein might actually be 3 kcals per gram instead of 4, though.

Also, carbs are necessary for good performance in prolonged, high-intensity exercise, aka "glycolytic" exercise.
>>
>>37086681

If you have a source handy, I would like to see it.

I don't mean that facetiously, but initial googling seems to imply the opposite. Genuinely curious.
>>
>>37086766
fuck dude use google scholar took me 2 mins
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.468.728&rep=rep1&type=pdf

the rest is basic nutrition pick up a book before you jump of this decades fad diet. paleo is overtaking keto, which overtook, low fat, which overtook low carb, which overtook atkins, and so on. If you are cutting macros don't matter as much as you would think. eat in a deficit and get enough protein. it is literally that simple.
>>
>>37086873
>Since the brain runs only on glucose, and has no reserves (except for a very small amount of glycogen), satisfaction of its needs depends on supply, and thus depends on diet, as carbohydrate reserves in the human body are very limited.
>>
File: 1461863546402.jpg (220 KB, 900x1122) Image search: [Google]
1461863546402.jpg
220 KB, 900x1122
>>37086873

T-thanks anon.
>>
>>37086719
It's a shortterm crash diet, not a lifestyle
>>
>>37086900
ew look at that ugly alium
>>
>>37086914
This.

To medical professionals it's a way to kick start someone's diet so they feel more motivated sticking to a more reasonable one.

To diet industry Jews it's a way to make money off of suffering.
>>
File: CK_E2CGUMAA90zi.jpg (12 KB, 214x250) Image search: [Google]
CK_E2CGUMAA90zi.jpg
12 KB, 214x250
>>37086309
Sure. It's total bullshit for anyone who isn't epileptic. The fitness supplement industry latched onto it once they realized they could make some money selling people protein powder and omega-3 fatty acids, so they started shilling the keto diet. So now you have assholes like Dave Palumbo, a convicted felon, telling people it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and you need to eat his diet that is 60% protein and did I mention he has his own brand of protein powder? And that you NEED to buy it from his website, right this second, Goyim? And have I also mentioned his real name is Shlomo?
>>
>>37086999

This is probably the most straightforward answer.

Thanks for the info and links, anons.

I'm goin' go get me muh oats.
>>
Good as a start for motivation because you'll lose tons of waterweight. I think it's also easier than regular macros. It also help with plateaus.
>>
>mfw the new fags dont know Zyzz used short burst of keto to stay lean
>>
>>37087148
this is the kind of world we live in eh
>>
>>37086309

What you are experiencing is known as the "keto flu". Basically you are in "rehab" for your sugar addiction, and you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Stick with it, it does get better, and the results are worth it. I don't even miss soda anymore.
>>
File: keto-change.png (476 KB, 1348x1600) Image search: [Google]
keto-change.png
476 KB, 1348x1600
Total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol are bad predictors of cardiovascular disease due to weak association
>Lipids, risk factors and ischaemic heart disease.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8831910
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12891189

Low HDL cholesterol is strongly associated with cardiovascular disease
>Blood cholesterol and vascular mortality by age, sex, and blood pressure: a meta-analysis of individual data from 61 prospective studies with 55,000 vascular deaths.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18061058
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23973693

However, this is no longer the case after adjusting for atherogenic lipoproteins
>The High-Density Lipoprotein Puzzle: Why Classic Epidemiology, Genetic Epidemiology, and Clinical Trials Conflict?
http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/36/5/777

So, while the amount of total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol have negative effects and HDL cholesterol has a beneficial effect on your cardiovascular health, these are false indicators and not the key players when it comes to heart disease. So what is?

A research study from 1988 showed that having elevated levels of small, dense LDL is three times more likely to lead to heart disease than normal LDL
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16043640
>Association of Small Low-Density Lipoprotein Particles With the Incidence of Coronary Artery Disease in Men and Women
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=407945

So, how do we increase the particle size of our lipid profile? By fixing our Triglyceride/HDL-Cholesterol ratio:
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/23/11/1679.full.pdf
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jat/10/3/10_3_186/_pdf

Attached image shows that the presence of smaller LDL particles went down, following an increase in HDL cholesterol and TG/HDL ratio on Very Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet; in comparison, the Low Fat Diet showed a increase in the number of smaller LDL particles.

tl;dr: Keto lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease
>>
desperate-for-information-about-keto-bump
>>
File: lite-salt.jpg (42 KB, 337x451) Image search: [Google]
lite-salt.jpg
42 KB, 337x451
>>37089783
Sorry for the randomness of this post, my copy-pasta is beyond 3k characters, so I had to shrink it.

Both keto and fasting follow the same initial phase; in layman's terms, switching from carbs to fat for energy. While this process usually only takes a few days, it can last for a couple weeks, it's what's known as the "keto flu" as referenced by >>37088826 . If you're feeling groggy weeks into the diet and have seen some weight loss results it's probably because 1. you're getting a poor amount of electrolytes, 2. you're eating too many carbs, and/or 3. you're not drinking enough water. You should be aiming for 128 fluid ounces of water a day, aka 1 gallon. As for electrolytes, I'd recommend drinking some chicken broth and/or taking a magnesium and potassium supplement. Another option, if you do a lot of home cooking, is to buy pic related. It's like regular salt, but with added potassium. Lastly, make sure you are eating no more than 20g carbs. This value can vary, but considering you're on keto to primarily lose weight I assume you're over ~180lbs, so 20g carbs is the absolute most you should consume in a day (minus fiber and sugar alcohols, as they're insoluble).
>>
>>37089879
What do you want to know? I've eaten keto for quite some time; a majority of the last 52 weeks.
>>
>>37086309
I would also be interested in being redpilled about keto

I recently saw the documentary "fed up" and it disgusted me how much sugar is put in our food and how okay everyone seems to be about it
>>
>>37089879
wait you can't drink milk on keto? why???
>>
File: milk-carbs.png (24 KB, 445x536) Image search: [Google]
milk-carbs.png
24 KB, 445x536
>>37089968
>>
>>37086309
Keto works primarily because you have to actively think about your food intake and what you're eating, not because it's some special magical fat burning diet.

A lot of bad foods go hand in hand with high carb intakes these days, if you can be smart about your nutrition and diet then anything will work.
>>
>>37089985
damn that's a lot of carbs

but those protein gains
>>
File: keto-videos.png (184 KB, 1619x952) Image search: [Google]
keto-videos.png
184 KB, 1619x952
>>37089957
If you like videos; here's a list of videos taken from the faq of r/Keto.
>>
>>37086622
OP, this one got me as well. I decreased my protein intake and increased my fat intake and I felt a lot more energetic.
>>
>>37090023
Cheers anon, I'll check them out
>>
>>37086309
all the bullshit ITT makes me mad.

keto is really good if you are obese.
that's because obese people often have fucked up their hormonal balance, there's too much estrogen, less testo, way too much insulin and the leptin levels get out of hand.
so fat people should do keto, absolutely, to fix their bodies. it also makes eating on a deficit way easier because of the satiety resulting from fat intake.
there are people who can stick to it long term, most can't.

i read that you aren't that heavy, so i'd suggest a few things:
if you feel sluggish, eat more fat and drink bone broth. that one is important.
but at your weight i'd try to modify the diet at least.
one solution could be 5 days of keto and one day of carb refeeding.
the other, which works long term btw, is just eat more carbs, up to about 100 grams a day. that's not a ketogenic diet anymore, but if you eat enough fat with it it will make you lose your excess weight and the variety of your food choices become way better.
>>
>>37086890
the point of a ketogenic diet is that your brain uses ketones instead of glucose for fuel. that's why it works so good for some medical issues.
>muh brain needs dat sweet suga
>bullshit
>>
carbs are literally useless unless you are starving.
>>
>>37090000
you dont know the dietary stats of milk? how underage are you
>>
>>37086622
> /fit/ is cancer
> directs to /r/keto

lmao
>>
>>37090986
Not the guy you're quoting, but to be fair the second you say keto on /fit/ you get meme'd about losing gains, dying, diabetes, cancer, and heart failure. r/Keto is a pretty serious circlejerk, but the FAQ is strong and r/Ketogains has a better comments section.
>>
>>37091021
sure, but OPs intention with this thread was to get a survey of opinions on what people think about keto.

Since 4chan is anonymous, and you can post (almost) whatever you want without any ramifications (and completely change your opinion in the next post, if you want), that kinda works. There are people that like keto, people that dislike keto. Everyone gets their say equally.

/r/keto is the exact opposite of what OP wants, since it's full of circlejerk, personal cultism, echochamber-bias, vote-bias, moderation-bias, etc.
>>
>>37091077
True, but the worst part is fucking picture friday.
>I lost 10lbs, am I pretty now? (829 upvotes)
>oh em gee you were always pretty!!! (142 upvotes)

Still though, if you're looking to get started, it has a solid FAQ. But you're right, I interpret "redpilling" to mean laying out unbiased information, which is why I refrained from linking r/Keto myself, although I did link that list of videos (cause that anon sounded like he learned best via documentaries).
>>
>>37090771
>that's because obese people often have fucked up their hormonal balance, there's too much estrogen, less testo, way too much insulin and the leptin levels get out of hand.

A low carb diet is bad for testosterone.
>>
>>37091134
yea i'm doing keto right now and there FAQ is the only thing I go for, everything else is cancer.
>>
>>37091240
where did you get that information?
i tell you something: that's wrong. it is actually good for boosting your test levels.
only if you do a prolonged keto diet without any refeeds there might be issues, but doing so is unnecessary for a lot of reasons.

>>37091341
you're doing it right, most people on here are clueless regarding nutrition.
>>
>>37091240
>A low carb diet is bad for testosterone.
Just a note: this has only been linked to two studies.

The first took measurements at day 0 and at day 3 between a high-carb and a low-carb diet. Ketogensis doesn't set in until about day 5 so of course the body is going to be producing less while it's trying to conserve glucose.

The second used females in their study, who aren't supposed to have testosterone and took measurements at day 10.

Not going to argue that low-carb increases testosterone because I haven't looked into it extensively, nor am I going to argue that you're wrong. I'm just going to point out that these aren't great testing methodologies and that you shouldn't take everything at face value. Unless you were meme'ing. In that case, well meme'd.
>>
>>37091359
you are generally right, but females are well supposed to have test. that is what makes their sex drive, for example.
but the studies you mention are crap due to the time factor, yes.
>>
>>37091359
> who aren't supposed to have testosterone
>>
>>37091377
>>37091382
You know what I meant.
>>
>>37091359
Nah I wasn't meming, and there are more than 2 studies.

http://www.anabolicmen.com/carbohydrates-testosterone/
>>
>>37091359
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3573976

Here is the 10 day study, and it doesn't use females.
>>
>>37091393
not really. Measuring test levels in females is still a perfectly legit thing to do in a study
>>
>>37086309
tried to get back into keto.
had been in a period where i was binging on high sugar food, not neccesarily high fat+sugar just high sugar eg jam and sorbet.
do keto for a day.
next day at night get keto fever real bad,shaking in my bed, headaches, fatigue etc it was unbearable.
i know you get the transition phase but i think id adapted to high sugar.
would it be best to taper carbs down to 100-200 a day then go straight keto?
im probably at 400 carbs a day
>>
>>37091764
i'd go for 100 or below, sufficient protein and the rest fat.
it's not keto, but it'll work regulating your blood sugar levels etc.
also don't eat actual added sugar within your carb amount.
after a while you'll see if keto is an option or if you want to stay at this level of low carb.
>>
>>37086309
I was on keto for 2 months. I wouldn't shit for days. Then I'd grab a grapefruit spoon and pry a neutron star out of my ass.
>NEVER AGAIN
>>
>>37091876
lmao, iktf
>>
File: obama-laughing.png (2 MB, 1153x800) Image search: [Google]
obama-laughing.png
2 MB, 1153x800
>>37091876
>>
>>37089783

You already got blasted the last time you posted this shit

>>37068121
>>
>>37086309
>redpill
>>>/pol/

>Keto
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>37091876
what is water
>>
>>37089879
eggs and dairy but no milk wtf
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.