[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Shoulder injury because noob going past 90 degrees on bench
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 85c.jpg (29 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
85c.jpg
29 KB, 500x500
>Shoulder injury because noob going past 90 degrees on bench
>Miss 2 weeks of the gym
>Get sick right after
>Miss 3 more weeks
>MFW

I went back on Wednesday and yesterday (Friday), my routine is full body 3 days a week. Would it be cool to go back again today and then Monday? I still feel rundown but I want to pump some fucking iron
>>
I've injured myself twicd, and both times got a horrible flu afterwords and ended up being out over a month. I don't know why this always happens, but it sucks.

Now I am extremely careful not to injur myself.
>>
Your injury was not from going past 90 on bench, many people go past 90 to touch the bar to their chest, you just had improper form if you were tweaking your choulder, most likely a grip much too close.
>>
>>37076096

>doesn't know how to retract his scapula
>blames it on going past 90 degrees on bench

Let me guess you also think if you squat below parallel that you'll go to snap city in your knees?
>>
>>37076144

Hmm, you might be right because I watched some videos on bench press form and they said to grip with middle finger on the the smooth ring or ring finger. I've been doing thumb length from where the grip area starts
>>
>>37076176
Those form videos can be very generalizing, my suggestion is to, with an empty bar, lower the bar to your chest, right about at the solar plexus, and grip the bar so that your arms are perpendicular to the bar, then press it up until it is straight up over your shoulders.

That would be proper form for you.
>>
>>37076144

>grip much too close

You've never done close grip bench before, have you?
>>
>>37076176
>I've been doing thumb length from where the grip area starts
It's hard to say if that's too close or not because we have no idea how long your arms are. Manlet's normal grip can be lanklet's close bench grip.
>>
>>37076206
he obviously wasnt doing close grip bench, there's a huge difference between having the wrong grip on a bench press and doing close-grip
>>
File: kill.jpg (32 KB, 418x455) Image search: [Google]
kill.jpg
32 KB, 418x455
>>37076096
>didn't look up how to bench properly before trying it
>was relaxed laying down, no scap
>let elbows flare out
>hurt shoulder
>posted on my personal blog
>mfw
FTFY OP
>>
>>37076237

All grip does is change ROM and whether it's a more chest or tricep dominant movement. If you retract your scapula and follow a proper bar path it doesn't matter where your grip is, your chances of injuring yourself outside of a max effort set are nearly zero.
>>
File: (You).jpg (15 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
15 KB, 400x300
>>37076252

>Wake up
>Polish katana
>Take off shirt
>Post on /fit/
>>
>>37076274
ok lets say im trying to do normal wide grip bench press.

At the bottom of ROM my arms are not perpendicular to the bar, in order to lift that bar up, because of arms not being perpendicular, your rear delts and traps will pull to assist with that lift.

If you have a close grip on the bar and you are doing the close grip ROM this wont be an issue, the issue comes from when your grip is wrong for the wrong lift.
>>
>>37076334

If your arms aren't perpendicular to the bar at the bottom of the bench press you have some issues that need fixed before you hurt yourself too.
>>
>>37076096
Your elbows were flaring out, weren't they?
>>
>>37076354
it was a hypothetical, i'm saying if you arms aren't perpendicular at the bottom, your grip is toooooooo close.

im beginning to think you are taking me for a ride.
>>
>>37076400

It doesn't matter where your grip is, your arms should be perpendicular to the bar at the bottom of the bench. It's not an issue of where he gripped the bar, it's an issue with his form, setup and technique. Proper grip makes it easier but an improper grip won't injure you if everything else is right.
>>
>>37076374

What does this mean?
>>
>>37076443
Elbows in line with the shoulder while benching.
>>
>>37076606

Thanks
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.