[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone got an educated opinion on btn (push) presses? Looks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: btnpp.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
btnpp.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
Anyone got an educated opinion on btn (push) presses?

Looks pretty cool and Klokov and others are doing it but dropping weight that close to your neck and behind your head…

To be clear, I'm not asking about seated versions of this exercise of similar variants where you are not bending your knees when catching the weight.
>>
I do my BtN's like arnold. Low weight high rep.

I can OHP 80kg for 6-8, 8 on goodday.

But I just BtN with 40kg 20+ rep sets, highest ive ever gone was 65kg on btn, but they sort of felt counter-productive for the purpose of the lift, hence why I just stay low weight high rep.
>>
File: Arnold.jpg (92 KB, 599x437) Image search: [Google]
Arnold.jpg
92 KB, 599x437
>>37072468
Like pic related.
>>
>>37072422

You need good shoulder mobility to do either. Better shoulder mobility for strict than push. You also need quite good ankle mobility for btn push presses. you've got to be able to stay very upright on the dip both for the initial drive and when lowering the bar to your shoulders.

If you've got that, they have some uses for training overhead stability, tri/mid delt strength and power.
>>
>>37072468
>>37072480
I get it, I don't think heavy weight doing _seated_ btn presses feels good for many people, hence why I'm asking about the standing variant. Definitely never saw anyone do them irl, I wonder if this is just because it's technically challenging or if there is some other reason.
>>
File: klokovbtnpress.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
klokovbtnpress.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>37072494
> You also need quite good ankle mobility for btn push presses. you've got to be able to stay very upright on the dip
Kevin Oak seems to disagree.
>>
>>37072494
Shoulder mobility was an issue for me that I didn't expect coming into weight lifting.

Been going to a dr and physio to try to fix it. Hopefully it's just tightness and weakness and not something worse.

I recommend everyone that wants to do weights see a dr and physio about their shoulders since poor shoulders are such a prevalent issue.
>>
File: kevinOakbtnpushpress.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kevinOakbtnpushpress.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>37072590
>>
It's very fucking easy to enter snap city with btnpresses. When you go all the way down you want to arch your back n shit.

Feels good to warm up with, probably good for hypertrophy. But heavy btn should be avoided.

Also, klokov is a genetic übermensch. Just because he does it without snapping his shit shouldn't be a reason to do it yourself
>>
>>37072603
This wrong
>>
>>37072422

It's fine.
The problem is that the glenohumeral joint usually (depends on genetics) doesn't have much space for the tendons to move around when you go too much into adduction + external rotation or abduction + internal rotation.
So your tendons can get caught, impinged, or "sawn off" during lifts like these.

If you have good mobility, or lucky genetics, then you'll be fine.

For the BTN press, you can simply avoid complete adduction if you're doing multiple reps, or if you're gonna lower it all the way down, don't slow it down on the eccentric too much (learn to catch it on the traps like >>37072536).
And don't overdo the weights. Use it as an assistance lift and keep yourself inside a safe RPE range.

And again, keep your mobility work in check.

>>37072630

Even Klokov has snapped his shit multiple times, though.
>>
>>37072603
that dip hahahaha what a noob
>>
>>37072422
I love btn push presses but your webm showed him getting pretty sloppy on the eccentric. Keep it a little tighter before catching it. Use cotton shirts and a bar with center knurling so it actually catches

Stay safe
>>
>>37072422
You need to practice a lot before you can actually begin to do them, you need tremendous shoulder mobility and strong rear delts and rotator cuffs.

They're a great exercise, but like most advanced movements require a lot of preparation.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.