[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You're not really supposed to make gains every time you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
You're not really supposed to make gains every time you go to the gym, are you?

How can you reasonably expect to be able to lift 5kg more than you did 4 days ago? Muscles don't repair and grow in such a short space of time.

And yet every program insists that for the first 6 months you should go up in weight at every visit.

Are these unrealistic expectations?
If not, what expectations are realistic?
If they are achievable, are they the result of the individual's will rather than an actual improvement ins strength?
>>
>>37072136

They are realistic expectations for a new lifter. There comes a time when it will slow down, but for the first few weeks adding 5kg per session to your squat and deadlift is entirely expected.
>>
>>37072150
This. Basically your body is learning to use to maximum extent the muscles you already have.
>>
>>37072150
>>37072168

How about exercises like the bench-press, overhead press and dips?

Is it ever acceptable to be on the same weight for two or even three consecutive workouts?
>>
>>37072175
Yes, just do more reps each time. But it would be better to add weight, even if it's only 1kg.
>>
>>37072175
If you do, it means you're not pushing yourself hard enough or it's time to start eating more. Also, OHP is a bitch to improve so don't have high expectations if you're new to ligting. That being said, do you even lift or planning to start?
>>
>>37072188
Your gyms have 1kg weight adjustments?
The minimum weights at mine are 1.25kg, meaning every addition of weight has to be at least 2.5kg which makes overhead presses tough.
>>
>>37072201
No, I take stuff with me to make smaller increases.
>>
>>37072199
I've been lifting for a few months now on the SS meme. Not at all to the extent that I'd like to (2 days per week) because I've been working 55 hour weeks and odd hours (poor sleep too). I'm cutting one of my jobs soon so I'll have plenty more time to go 3 days per week.

My squat shot up to about 90kg fairly quickly. Deadlift to about the same.
Benchpress and overhead press stalled fairly early but have been gradually getting back on track now I'm getting the 2800 calories per day I need according to scoobs.
Just wanted to manage my expectations before starting properly next week.

>>37072210
Cool, what kind of stuff? Sounds like it could help with my OHpress.
>>
>>37072240
Ankle weights. Much cheaper than buying microplates.
>>
Increase reps, 3x3, 3x4... Also think about your supporting exercises. If you do regular barbell bench are you doing incline bench, dumbbell bench, pec flys, and dips to support those muscles? I'm a skinny faggot so it helped to have a lot of supporting exercises along with a main compound for every workout.
>>
>>37072280
Is it okay to be flexible with reps? SS seems quite strict on the 3x5 routine. I've never gone up in weight unless I'm sure I can get to 5 reps.

Thanks to everyone who's posted btw. It's been really helpful.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.