[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the timing of protein intake after a workout matter, or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: jDcczs6.png (213 KB, 364x434) Image search: [Google]
jDcczs6.png
213 KB, 364x434
Does the timing of protein intake after a workout matter, or is that a broscience meme?
>>
File: hyp dev 9.png (445 KB, 504x585) Image search: [Google]
hyp dev 9.png
445 KB, 504x585
>>37072017
It doesn't matter at all. Just eat whenever you usually would. I usually eat before a workout but that's not related to gains it's personal preference.
>>
>>37072086
This.

Also, protein powder.. rofl
>>
>>37072086
Dont listen to this DYEL'er, it is best to take protein before AND after a workout for maximum gains.
>>
File: hyp dev 2.png (630 KB, 537x800) Image search: [Google]
hyp dev 2.png
630 KB, 537x800
>>37072099
Exactly. The /uni/ gym is always packed with azn dyels making protein shakes and then trying to lift heavy with poor form.
>>
>>37072017
Anabolic window had its basis in real science, but you don't need to drink a shake within 20 minutes of a workout or anything. As long as you eat some protein and carbs within a few hours you'll be fine.
>>
File: iffy a cute 01.jpg (44 KB, 362x500) Image search: [Google]
iffy a cute 01.jpg
44 KB, 362x500
>>37072122
Basically just eat as normal.
>>
>>37072122
Then what is the point of the science behind anabolic window?
>>
I workout first thing in the morning, I have a green smoothie and coffee about 30mins before. that way I'm not hungry during the workout and there's a lot of water in greens. then by the time I finish up I can smash oats and tuna or whatever. works for me.
>>
>>37072127
The science says that your body is recovering to the point of growth for 24-36 hours after a workout, with slightly more effective protein synthesis in the first 8 hours. Bro science took this to mean that the sooner after a workout you get you protein, the better. It actually means that eating properly the day after a workout is how you promote growth.
>>
There is no such thing as a metabolic window, you could literally eat protein 1000 years after your exercise and build muscle
>>
>>37072151
this pretty much. its about spiking and keeping your protein synthesis eleveted as much as you can.

a meal with enough protein will keep your protein synthesis elevated for about 3-5 hours depending on the protein content. if you ate a big meal with 4 grams of leucine 1 hour before working out and work out for 2 hours, your protein synthesis will probably last for 2 more hours after working out and due to MPS having a refractory period, eating during that 2 more hours wouldn't yield additional gains except for eating BCAAs.

but most people (i think) eat like 2-3 hours before working out so their protein synthesis likely isn't elevated at the end of the workout, and if it takes them 30 minutes to eat after their workout theyre missing out on 30 minutes of protein synthesis. but like said, MPS lasts like 24-36 hours so in a way youre missing out on 2% of your total gains. even if that time directly after workout is more efficient its not a big deal.
>>
>>37072017
The only thing that matters is how your general eating trends are.

So just like even having an all-you-can eat smorgasbord at the shittiest fast food join on the planet will have zero impact on a cut if your other 30 days of the month were done properly, as long as you regularly eat enough protein it doesn't matter when you eat them.
>>
>>37072151
>>37072242
>>37072368
Thanks. I didn't expect to get answers as good as these.
>>
>>37072124
Stop avatarring you silly namefag.
>>
>>37072017
>not consuming protons and calz all the time
>>
File: kek01.jpg (16 KB, 351x329) Image search: [Google]
kek01.jpg
16 KB, 351x329
>>37072566
Stop getting buttblasted you silly boy.
>>
File: bradripped.jpg (39 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
bradripped.jpg
39 KB, 453x604
Holy fuck you lads are stupid here. Anabolic window and associated insulin spike (most important thing in bodybuilding) is as real as things get. Your cortisol is raised and you go catabolic during a workout. Source: pic related (me)
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 225x225
>>37073280
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.