[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone regularly use rowing machine, or own one? They seem like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Anyone regularly use rowing machine, or own one? They seem like a good way to get your cardio in while possibly building some lean muscle. What are you thoughts /fit/ on indoor rowing.
>>
no one?
>>
They are extremely intense if you want them to be. My forearms go into some sort of shock when I do HITT.

I find it to be more of a back/arm workout than legs.

Concept2 rower/step mill are GOAT for burning calories
>>
Very underrated. I hit one for a few minutes to warm up, and sometimes I'll do a quick 10-15 minutes of cardio on them afterwards.
>>
I used one only a few times, for a very intense short workout, they seemed to be great. I've been looking on CL and offerup for a cheapish one
>>
>>37057693

Then you're doing it wrong. Indeed, forearms will hurt when technique is bad.

It's a modern torture machine but can get you real fit and works the whole body. Thing is, technique is really necessary.
>>
>>37057442
I fucking love mine, oh my god. It hurts so good. You need to get on that shit, anon.
>>
The measure of man is his 2k on one of these. And yes, GOAT fitness device.
>>
>>37057442
Love the rower

I did some HIIT on it today
>>
>>37057442
Great for cardio that actually does something. Brilliant as a warmup for squatting. Also great for testing your general conditioning (if you can manage 2k in under 7mins, you're in okay shape. Under 6.30, you're doin' gr8 m8, r8 6.9/8.)

However, if you're gonna get one, take the time to learn proper fucking technique. I've seen asshats abusing these noble machines in pretty much every gym I've used. Bad technique will fuck up your shoulders and back, not to mention break the fucking erg. Average life expectancy of these things in a gym is about 2 years. Boat clubs that use theirs properly can keep them going for decades.
>>
Good but rowers have high incidence of lower back disorders.

As much as it sucks, running is god tier for cardio.
>>
>>37057442
anyone have a guide for proper technique?

I normally try to keep my back upright and lean forward just a little bit for momentum, i pull with my legs first and then pull with my arms and bring the bar back to my chest. I just go by feel.

I know elliptical is kind of the noob cardio but if I'm tired after a workout I find it to be easy on the joints etc, and it keeps my heart rate up. Are they a lot worse than running or rowing?
>>
If you're looking into buying or using a rowing machine, make sure you get a good product. Avoid hydraulic rowers like the plague, magnetic and air rowers are decent but water rowers are true patrician tier.

If you can shell out 1k+, look into a Concept2 model. Rowers in general are fantastic cardio workouts that will destroy you like no other piece of equipment.
>>
>>37059137
This desu. I fucked up my back rowing. Make sure you have super good form.
Swimming and riding are easier imo.
>>
>>37059157
You've basically sussed it for yourself, here's a more thorough breakdown.

1. Start the stroke with legs straight, your back straight/slightly extended, and with your hands just under your pecs.

2. Extend your arms without moving anything else.

3. Rock your body forward from the hips. If you're doing it right, you should feel a stretch in the hamstrings. Keep your feet flat on the footplate. Keep your back straight.

4. SLOWLY break at the knees and move forward till your chest is touching your thighs.

5. Drive out with your legs through the soles of your feet, then pull through your hips, then through your arms. Basically completing steps 1-4 in reverse.

The movement is pretty much the same as a squat with an arm pull at the top. Your legs are the prime mover. By all means, pull hard with the arms at the end of the stroke, but don't pull first with your arms before you've rocked back with your hips.

Remember SEPARATION. Your cues should be arms, body, legs, legs, body, arms.

Also: break your legs and come forward on the slide SLOWLY. Same as a squat - go down slow, explode up fast.
>>
>>37057442
Really gotta have your technique down or you can injure yourself.
For example it's important to use your abs on the return and not get lazy and use your hips.

That aside I don't think they can be beaten for HIIT.
>>
>>37059157
http://www.concept2.com/files/pdf/us/training/Training_Guide.pdf

Just remember:
Drive: legs > back > arms
Catch: arms > back > legs
Repeat.

Make sure you relax your shoulders and arms in the drive. In the beginning (first month) make sure you really dont try to mingle these movements together, just make them go fluently). For the catch, make sure the handle went over the knees before you ride forward (should be at like half lower leg length). Ride forward with 1 speed and let your whole body kinda follow the handle instead of 'listening' to your legs to make the right speed/acceleration forward.

People who have the wrong technique get back problems. Just use your whole upper body as an extension of the legs, (but this doesnt mean you dont train them).
>>
>>37057442
Yeah when I want some hard sex and need to broadcast to the gym that i'm homosex and ready I jump on the old rowing machine. Got a cock in my ass within minutes usually.

10/10 would recommend.
>>
>>37057693
ok, real rower for 6 years here. the forearm burn is quite normal due to the "flipped grip", try chinups with reversed grip for example, they murder your forearms. if this a problem for you, try gripping with palms facing down, if u only want cardio. also, 70% of the power come from the legs, but your legs dont feel it cuz they are way stronger than upper body, especially in endurance.>>37057693 is wrong, it probably is a sign of forearm weakness, not technique, but technique isnt easy and very important here
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.