[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you all learn to properly lift by watching videos on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1462410693656.jpg (62 KB, 640x821) Image search: [Google]
1462410693656.jpg
62 KB, 640x821
Did you all learn to properly lift by watching videos on the internet. Im too afraid to make a squat and end up as a tetraplegic. Do i hire a personal trainer or just go there and lif shit up regardless. Pic obviously unrelated
>>
I saw Starting Strength so I downloaded it and read it.
Then I watched a few videos and practiced basics
Then I just joined a gym and applied everything I learned
>>
>>37045587
I took a strength training class in community college. The instructor was an 80 year old man who was still doing the lifts.
Oh and he's been doing Crossfit for years as well. So, so much for that CROSSFIT IS SO DUMB XDDD meme.

Yeah but he mostly played videos from CrossFit or just YouTube and then demonstrated afterwards.

When learning how to squat, start off first just learning how to move your hips back and forth and to use your leg muscles, not your back. After you got that, learn how to squat down and use your leg muscles to push while maintaining a straight back.
Get parallel to the floor and push up using your leg muscles; don't slither your back.

After you got that down, grab a PVC pipe and practice using that til you can do a proper squat.
Then move onto a bar.
>>
i got a personal trainer when i was 14 and have been lifting for the past 6 years
>>
Watched loads and loads of form videos and read a lot about them, also general tips and tricks/fixes videos and I adjusted my form so it fits my body
>>
I watched videos but am now finding out my form is fucked, I'd say get a personal trainer for just one session and have them teach you all the momevents in your routine
>>
Just watch videos and practice form with light weight, you aren't gonna go to snap city sqauting the bar and if you go way to heavy before you have form down and end up hurting something you deserve to be disabled anyway
>>
>>37045587
I'll give you my story, take it as my 2 cents.

>be me
>fat, 200+ lbs
>after months of start-stop gym visits (go once, get sore for 5 days), I go there one day with my GF
>see a guy teaching two girls to squat and push-up
>start talking with him
>"Do you do private training for guys, too?"
>"Sure"
>"How much do you charge?"
>"from 10 to 30$, depends on who it is. For you, it'd be about 20 $ for the introductory 3 lessons where we'll discuss methodology and stuff, after which we'll do checkups every 2 months or so to check your progress"
>agree, tell him that I'm after functional power with no focus on shaping/cutting
>skip to yesterday
>"Well, Anon, what equipment do you have at home that you can work out with?"
>"Mostly farm equipment, got a log, ladder, rakes and poles and other stuff"
>"Okay, I'll show you the workouts with gym equipment and we'll talk on how you can improvise it"
>shows me stuff
>we come up with an alternative for use with farm equipment
>get a few encouraging words, a lot of techniques and go off

Seriously, even if it's expensive, it's really worth having someone experienced guide you (my trainer has a college degree in working out), also it's good for people who don't have such a strong will. I'm a weak-willed person, so I need to know that someone is judging me always.
>>
File: 1425866553227.png (290 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1425866553227.png
290 KB, 680x680
>>37048372
>fat, 200+ lbs
>i go there one day with my GF
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FUCKING NORMALFAGS
>>
>>37048685
Hue. Ya mad? I got her when I was a little bit fitter (180lbs). Also, I'm 175cm :^]
>>
>>37048698
i was but I am not anymore, since only uggies go for fat manlets, enjoy being cucked by CHAD while he eats PIZZA little guy
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.