[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw want to lift >have the discipline >can't because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 5
File: 1417897551068.jpg (127 KB, 1102x967) Image search: [Google]
1417897551068.jpg
127 KB, 1102x967
>tfw want to lift
>have the discipline
>can't because of gymtimidation
>can't go to PF since they don't let you squat/DL
>can't afford homegym

Wat do? Inb4 "just suck it up bro." That's not how it works.
>>
Just suck it up bro.
>>
>gymtimidation

If you can't suck it up then don't go.

Enjoy being a scared weak skinnyfat pussy though.
>>
>>37034054
>>37034051

>actual advice only
>>
>>37034059
What are we supposed to say then???
>>
>>37034069

Some suggestion so that I can lift? It's a little hard to just suck it up when people refuse to spot you and laugh instead. I'd rather not get stuck under the bar and die.
>>
>>37034059
Just suck me up bro.
>>
>>37034044
get drunk then join the gym, preferably an expensive one with a contract. Then you will guilt yourself into going until you get over the intimidation.

No one will laugh at you while you are stuck under a bar its an irrational fear.

Dont disregard this advice as ridiculous, the situation you pose is equally if not more ridiculous
>>
>>37034044
>gymtimidation
What is "gymtimidation"?
>>
>>37034077
Sounds like you're going to the wrong gym bro. Make sure it's not your additude that is making people act this way towards you. Perhaps join a barbel club and pay for a months training just to make friends and lay them foundations. PS who cares what other people think
>>
>>37034044
Lifting won't help you, aspie. Best advice I could give you would be to make sure the branch is solid enough.
>>
>>37034044
you don't need to squat or deadlift to be fit.
this is an internet meme.
you can be fine just working out at home with a pair of dumbbells,a pullup bar and a resistance band.you can also run outside and do lunges or bodyweight squats for cardio and leg gains.

a basic routine you can do at home:
Pushups
Bench Dips
Pullups/Chinups
Squats/Lunges
Planks

and some useful accessories:
Dumbbell/resistance band rows
Dumbbell/resistance band shrugs
>> curls
>> kickbacks
>> overhead press
>>
>>37034044

>gymtimidation

Nigger you literally made up a word in order to excuse yourself for being such a cowardly cunt.
>>
>>37034077
I don't ask people to spot me, and I've been stuck under a bar a few times when bench pressing.
It's not scary at all if you know what to do, and you don't need to ninja flip out like this guy, you can just roll it until you sit up then push it off your legs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEUvI8Q6JDk

Not that you will be stuck under a bar at all. You shouldn't be pushing decent weight until you have your technique. There's a reason SS/SL say to start with the bar.
>>
>>37034149
Army is probably the best branch if he wants to get his life back together.
>>
>>37034044
>That's not how it works.
never gonna make it
>>
>>37034185
10/10
>>
>>37034044

I used to be intimidated by the gym. What I did to get over it was I chose a routine (went with SS) and read a LOT of about it. Once I understood how to have good form, I started going at wacky times like 1am so people wouldn't see me figuring out how shit worked. Did that for a few months and then started going at normal times.
>>
File: 1458182899203.jpg (64 KB, 499x665) Image search: [Google]
1458182899203.jpg
64 KB, 499x665
Just go during non-peak hours, or find a 24 hour gym, or look up a solid 4-5 day a week routine w/out squats do to at PF, or maintain two gym memberships and only go to the bro gym for leg day on sundays (my gym is usually empty)

I fucking hate my gym, the staff and people are awful, but I hate going there less now that I have some idea what I'm doing. You'll get there breh
>>
>>37034223
This guy know's what's up OP
You don't inherently need a spot for anything.
Don't advance too quick, and actually use safeties for squats if you're worried about it.
Bench you can just do the roll of shame and be done with it.

The anxiety is a bit harder, but once you start a routine and you KNOW what you're doing it's much easier to be confident in what you're doing.
>>
you clearly don't actually have the discipline
>>
Nigguh if youre worried about getting crushed by the bar you should master a body weight routine at home before thinking about stepping in a gym.

Master a kettlebell.
Master ur ass
>>
>>37034044
>gymtimidation
If you are sincere, just kill yourself.

Holy shit what a faggot excuse.
>>
>>37034044
>gymtimidation
Woooow. What a pussy.
>>
>>37034185
This. Last year went to jail for getting into a fight. It's the most pussified county jail I've ever heard of: 23 hours locked down a day unless you get sent to the dorms (for crazies, crips, the crippled, the old, or PC) and the only exercise equipment was some stationary bikes, some pullup bars, and some dip bars because some retard smashed another guy's head in with a dumbbell and the warden overreacted.

People still got or stayed huge in there, just doing bodyweight stuff, either in absolutely massive quantities and/or by making it increasingly harder.

If you don't have a pullup bar, go find a tree or go to the park and piss off little kids and their parents by occupying the monkey bars. If you don't have dip bars, put two similarly sized chairs next to each other.

If those fucking goons can do it, so can you. I believe in you dude.
>>
File: doureely.jpg (35 KB, 453x576) Image search: [Google]
doureely.jpg
35 KB, 453x576
>>37034044
>claims he has the discipline
>uses gymtimidation as a valid excuse
>>
>>37034044
No one in the gym is looking at you, only themselves
>>
>>37035059

Not true. When I'm bored between sets I watch what other people are doing
>>
>>37034044
Nobody gives a shit man.
I only look on asses of the attention whoring gym bunnies in their spandex. I am the master of incognito voyeurism, I only do it through mirrors so that it is not too obvious :^)
>>
>>37035094

Bruh I just openly stare at that shit. It's not like you are going to see these people outside the gym or plan on talking to them ever. Who cares if you look autistic
>>
>>37034044
I had the same problem starting out. I went when the gym first opened at like 4am when there was close to nobody there. Eventually I got more comfortable and stopped giving a fuck.
>>
>>37034044
Just go to planet fitness, almost everyone is guaranteed to look worse than you and they have a lunk alarm to protect special little snowflake pussies like you
>>
>>37035059
>implying I have the confidence to stare at myself in the mirror for longer then 5 seconds without looking away with disgust
AHAHAHAhaha...ha..

Fuck...
>>
Just throw on some kickass music and. get in there and lift. Who gives a fuck what people think you gotta start from somewhere. Don't be a pussy
>>
some people will face palm at your form but other than that nobody cares

just do some research on how to properly do exercises

and stop being a fucking loser
>>
>>37034044
>Wat do? Inb4 "just suck it up bro." That's not how it works.

this is literally the only solution..you fucking unemployed man baby...get out of your comfort zone pussy ass nigga
>>
>>37034044
Had the same issue before getting over my fear of being looked at. The solution is to plan out your workout and go at times when no one's at the gym, so early morning or late in the evening. I advise SL 5x5 since you can do it in under 40 minutes and it's good for beginners. Read the sticky to improve your nutrition.
>>
itt: surprisingly effective bait
>>
about 95% of the people that are lifting have terrible form
>>
>>37034044
>OP faggot confirmed
>>
>>37034044
>Inb4 "just suck it up bro." That's not how it works.

Actually, yes, this is precisely how it works.
>>
>>37034044
> I have discipline
> I'm too much of a pussy to go to a place where nobody gives a shit and will not judge you for working out

JUST suck it up bro
>>
>>37035296
>SL 5x5
>you can do it in under 40 minutes
wat
>>
>>37034044
you get over it after a while
>>
>tfw want to lift but everytime I get short of breathe I almost have a panic attack and kind of freak out.

I'm gonna go talk to a doctor next week. I hope its just some kind of weird anxiety.
>>
>>37034044

Definition of Discipline:

"Doing what you have to do, when you need to do it, whether you like it or not"

>can't because of gymtimidation

You're not disciplined...you're delusional
>>
>>37036636
/thread
>>
>>37036764
Has anyone every had anything like this? Plz help.
>>
Do body weight excercises for 3 months then start going to the gym. You'll have a little bit of muscle and a tiny boost in confidence and you'll look like every other dyel that goes to the gym once a week.
>>
>>37034124
if you dont care what other people think you wouldnt lift lol
>>
>>37034044
if you feel intimidated before you even go, then you don't have the discipline.
>>
>>37034044
>24 hour gym
>go late at night (fuck your schedule, just do it)
>get comfortable with going to gym
>make gains
>go during more convenient hours
>???
>profit

it's simple. that's how i did it. started going around 10:30 every night when there was maybe one other person there, no one bothered me. once i was competent i no longer felt "gymtimidated"
>>
>>37036874
i have a really overweight relative in the hospital right now. that happens to him. he's on o2 anyway and a cpap machine when he sleeps, but he got a nasty case of bronchitis and everytime his oxygen gets low he panics. you have to do some mental training on that one because the panic process is deeply ingrained in your brain. try to push through it just once by pretending you don't give a fuck if you pass out or die. just remember that your brain can only alert your conscious mind to what it thinks is a problem. YOU have to decide how to handle it
>>
>>37037005
> not lifting for yourself
> not gonna make it
>>
I used the Hip Adductor/Abductor machine yesterday and couldn't figure out how to switch between the exercises. Walked away in shame and felt silly so I went back and manned up. First time using the machine, been going to this gym for a few months. I caught some guy smirking but so fucking what. I learned something, got over myself for the greater goal of fitness, and did my sets.

There's always an excuse. Break through it.
>>
>>37034093
In his gymagination
>>
>>37034044
You don't want to lift. If you truly did you'd be finding solutions instead of problems.

Shy? Find a 24 hour gym, go at night.

Want a trainer? Find one who teaches powerlifting.

Poor? Get a home gym on finance or nigger-rig your own.
>>
>>37034044
>gymtimidation
you are a HUGE bitch
>>
>gymtimidation
sign up for a yearly contract at the closest gym (unless it has nowhere to squat, in which case, keep looking); to get in the mood to lift, get on a treadmill or stationary bike for like half an hour

although I don't really know what you mean by "gymtimidation", go into detail
>>
>>37034077
I've been lifting for years and haven't once asked for a spot. Use safety bars.
>>
>>37034044

Lol that's some pretty shifty excuses. If u can't at least say "well ill settle for pf and not deadlift" then ur really just looking for reasons not to go.

Most gyms have a free personal trainer the first day. After that u stop feeling like a total sperg. I'm five foot six and one hundred ten pounds. If I can man up, so can u.

If ur realllly intimidated try going Sundays Tuesdays and Thursdays. Most people are mwf and aren't as lazy on Saturdays as they are Sundays.
>>
>>37034044
>Inb4 "just suck it up bro." That's not how it works.
>That's not how it works.

Um, isn't that exactly how it works?
>>
>>37034093
The whole reason PF is a thing

>>37034044
Just go you aspie. No one is going to mock you
>>
>>37034044
Home gym brah, its worth the money trust me. Nothing beats deadlifting your rage away and the following sensation of serenity
>>
>>37034223
holy shit when he's crunching up in slow motion his headphone cord shoots forward and it's red and I thought he was literally spitting blood at first
>talking all cool like it's easy
>he's actually dying inside
>>
Even if you start out scrawny , if you stick with it people will respect you.
>>
>>37034185
This is solid advice anon. Take it. Also if you are gettin stuck under the bar you are using way too much weight. No shame in starting with babby weights brah. Work your way up. Slowly.
>>
You can try finding a USAW coach, that's what I did.

For me- $45 for one-on-one sessions (I did 3), then $60/month to train in this dude's barn with maybe 4-5 other people. It's awesome.
>>
>>37037386
top kek
>>
>>37034044
Dude, just get a regular gym membership (LA Fitness, 24 Hour, Fuckboi's Gym) and go in the fuck-all early morning. Bros don't wake up until noon, and the morning crowd could not care less about you. You could go late at night, too, like after 11, but that's not an optimal time to train.

If you have the discipline, you need to find the will to make it work, too. Think outside the box.
>>
>>37034044
If you can't lift because you're afraid of the gym, then you don't have the discipline.
>>
>people are too scared to go to the gym
>tfw want to go but can't afford one

Jelly as fuck of faggots like you. Nobody gives a shit that you're starting out because they've all been there at one point. I'd kill to go to a gym but I'm stuck with body weight exercises and fucking running of all things.

Gym people are usually bros though so there's nothing to fear. Some will help you out because they know the struggle. Don't think about it too much
>>
File: image.gif (449 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
449 KB, 300x168
>>37034044
Planet fitness is for people just like you
>>
Holy fuck, OP.

Jesus, just go to a YMCA or Rec Center. It's nothing but old dudes and insecure fatties. None of whom are concerned with you, nor will they look at you. If you hate it, you're out less than $10.

Worse case: one Gymbro is there for some reason (he was the smallest guy at his last gym) and I promise he'll be neutral or encouraging or swiping on Tinder between sets and not noticing you..

Source: recovering skelly going to the rec center for 2 months. No old dude looks in my direction. Gymbro chatted with me for the first time the other day and said, "You're really getting there. Good job, man."
>>
>>37034185
>doing starting nogainz
>>
>>37038888
checked
>>
>>37038728
>can't afford one
You're right, $20 a month is too much.
Fuck outta here
>>
Kinda in the same boat like OP. I'm shy as fuck I'm not really skinny or fat. Been doing some home excerices and a lot of running. But my one fear is showering. I feel really uncomfortable being naked and showering around other guys.
>>
>>37034044

>Claims to have discipline
>"But I can't go cos I'm scared"

Sorry OP. That's not how it works. It's not discipline if it's easy to do.
>>
>>37034044
> Gymtmidation

The fastest way to get over gymtimidation is to realize that no one gives a shit about you. Everyone is there for a purpose. They'll focus on the purpose, and leave. Are you really so narcissistic that you think that people who are there to complete a task and nothing else will even notice you? Unless you're currently occupying a piece of equipment that they want to use, you are virtually invisible to them.
>>
>>37037314
>Hip abductor
Lol y tho
>>
>>37034044
then you dont have enough discipline
>>
>>37034044
wow what a bunch of assholes on this thread.
every big guy you see started out skinny or fat or just normal and weak. everyone had a hard time at first.
when a really big guy looks at you, he doesn't judge based on how weak or strong you are, he only judges by how hard you train.
I fucking admire the fat guys who are at the gym 5 days a week, working their asses off (literally) yet I detest fit guys who come to the gym just to "tone".
So people are most likely to be supportive of a newbie.
if they aren't, well fuckem, who cares.
actual advice - get a good friend to come with you to the gym. it's much easier not to give a fuck when you're not alone.
>>
>>37039257
shit wrong picture
here comes the ban let's go.
>>
Go to Planet Fitness.
It's not like you're going to stick with it anyway
>>
>>37034044
Do as much calisthenics as you can to look bigger and eat right to get bigger so people respect you, or just suck it up and go. Hate to tell you that cause I used to be like that too.
>>
>>37038965
>$20 dollars
where the fuck do you live?

Gym memberships are all $40+ here excluding Planet fitness but that's because it's a joke of a gym.
>>
>>37034044
just go to PF and don't squat and deadlift itll be alright
something is better than nothing

or get over it because no one actually cares about how you lift
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.