[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/, My mom was diagnosed with mild osteoporosis recently.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: osteoporosis.jpg (473 KB, 1047x757) Image search: [Google]
osteoporosis.jpg
473 KB, 1047x757
Hey /fit/,

My mom was diagnosed with mild osteoporosis recently.

What exercises could a woman in her late 50s do to increase her bone density?
>>
>>37033215
Really fucking heavy deadlifts
>>
>>37033215
GOMAD

Also I guess that would mean you want to lower the stress on the bones so shits like running if she is overweight would be stupid.
I don't think lifting at a 50yo woman's rate would pose that much of a problem. She isn't going to diddylift 4 plates anytime soon
>>
Tell her to lay off the roids
>>
Lifting will do it.

Obviously she needs to be very careful and start light.

Squatting if she has the mobility, (probably be safer to do dumbell squats)
if not, leg presses are good for this, while she works on mobility.

Push ups and pull-ups (or band assisted if she can't do a pull-up) are great for women to improve upper body strength.

Maybe get her to do planks also, as core strength will help posture which is an unrelated but very useful strength to have at her age.
>>
>>37033215
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteoporosis#Prevention

>don't smoke
>don't alcohol
>eat calcium
>eat vitamin D
>movement aka WALKING or anything which makes your bones to accelerate
(because that is what your cells in bones need to feed)
>>
>>37033215
Heavy ass farmers walk
>>
>>37033234
This is the only answer. She needs to deadlift. She should squat and press/bench too, but those require a bit more coaching.

>>37033252
>Push ups and pull-ups (or band assisted if she can't do a pull-up) are great for women to improve upper body strength.
Bodyweight exercises that can't be microloaded effectively and reproducibly are obviously awesome for probably overweight middle aged detrained females!
>>
>>37033215
Get her on supplements for Vitamin D, K2 and calcium. A combination of all of them, since mission one of them can lower the effectiveness of others.
For exercise, yoga or some other sort of social calisthenics program. It helps with mobility, but more importantly she'll be more likely to stick to that than lifting. Less likely to snapcity herself too.
>>
Any form of physical activity is good.
Depending on her fitness level uphill walking should be possible at least.
Lifting does increase bone density, though someone who already has osteoporois needs to be careful and use light to moderate weights of course.

Also, calcium.
>>
File: herrasmiessika.jpg (27 KB, 350x445) Image search: [Google]
herrasmiessika.jpg
27 KB, 350x445
>>37033215
look into PEMF
(pulsed electromagnetic field therapy)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=pemf+osteoporosis

you could go ahead and buy Alleva-Wave, which is essentially the same as Somapulse (I own both) but "for animals" = cheaper.

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/73-somapulse-electromagnetism-with-dr-bill-pawluk-podcast/
>>
Gallon of milk a day
>>
>>37033234
kek
>>
>>37033215
squateboard squats
>>
>>37033215
Medfag here.

Vitamin D supplementation by itself is usually okay.
Don't get a combined vitamin D and calcium supplement as this is actually less effective. Don't get any combined calcium or vitamin D supplement, even with magnesium etc.

High impact activities like walking or running. Any exercise is better than none.

Bisphosphonate medications could be considered when she gets a bit older.

Basically, any exercise + a vitamin D supplement + increased dietary calcium is all she can really do. You can't really reverse it and bisphosphonates have their own risks and side effects that probably aren't outweighed by their benefit right now.

Chill bruh. Whoever diagnosed her should have told her this basic stuff.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.