[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>people think poverty causes obesity >rather than people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 10
>people think poverty causes obesity
>rather than people choosing mcdonalds over cooking homemade stir fry
>>
>>37030030
I don't even get the poverty causes you to eat fucking more thing anyway.

Alright, you don't have much money, that doesn't excuse yourself to eat more than someone who has money. You still have to stuff your face to get fat regardless of where you eat
>>
>>37030059

ever since I got fit food costs me a quarter as much as it did for each week
>>
>>37030030
People that are less intelligent are more likely to make less money and more likely to be obese. Connect the dots
>>
i literally just buy protein, rice and beans/ some good hot sauces and just drink water. i can eat for weeks on $30
>>
Junk food, like packaged processed food is cheaper
>>
>>37030030
i'm impoverished and i'll admit that i do spend more money when i eat right than when i don't. part of the problem is the cheaper foods are almost always unsatisfying. It's like going to a Chinese buffet where you know you'll be hungry an hour later. Also, laziness was always the biggest factor because I hated cleaning up after cooking.

I grew up in a home that didn't prepare homecooked meals because there wasn't "enough time" to cook them. Junk food was a staple. Luckily no one ever became obese, just overweight. Sucks that that's something to brag about nowadays. Anyway, I had to unlearn a ton of bad habits and ways of looking at meals, cooking, etc.
>>
File: uigig.jpg (58 KB, 600x593) Image search: [Google]
uigig.jpg
58 KB, 600x593
>>37030258
no it isnt you fuck

have you ever heard of beans, rice, lentils, or cheap cuts of meat?

of course you havent you fucking fat retard
>>
The argument could be made that poor people have to work so many jobs just to make ends meet that they have no time/are too tired to buy groceries and cook

At least, that's what I've noticed about some of the poor people I've worked with
>>
>>37030030
i think its inverted causation
poverty correlates with stupidity, and that causes obesity
>>
>>37030287
>A huge bowl of red beans and rice with some cornbread isn't satisfying
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. People who are fat and poor are fat and poor because they lack the skills and knowledge necessary to live correctly. Stupid fucking lies like junk food is cheap and satisfying perpetuate the stupid fat cycle they live in. Let's just fucking chalk it up to the truth: cheap satisfying foods take effort to make and cook. Something most fat poor people aren't willing to expend.
>>
>>37030325
Yeah, this. Stupidity causes both poverty and obesity. I 28, spend less than $20 on food per week and I'm in the best shape of my life.

Just buy eggs, grains, and cheese from the store, and go outside and pick mallows, nettles, miners lettuce, purslane, etc. Healthiest diet you can get, and it's pretty much free.
>>
>>37030319
>im too busy to go to the gym
>im too busy to cook my food
>im too busy to not spend 4 hours of my finite free time sitting infront of a screen

bullshit
>>
>>37030473
I'm not talking about you and I. I'm talking about fatass poor people
>>
>>37030103

Fucking this. I started comparing my checks before and after, its literally less than half.
>>
Only in America that poor people have a weight problem
>>
Watched a documentary about a family on unemployment benefits, she had three kids
>asks kids what they want to eat
>kids: "saucaaaage!"
>aaah good, she's gonna cook for them
>tfw she takes frozen saucages and tosses them in the frying pan....here you go kids, here's your food
>tfw she has all day to cook a healthy meal for them but just fries shit and calls it a meal
come on, both my bf and I work 40 hours a week and we take the time to cook almost every day.
>>
>>37030317
this isn't a sustainably healthy diet. Buying things like fruit and vegetables is expensive (at least when I lived in the US). It is much cheaper to buy junk food and processed foods rather than buying the ingredients yourself and making a healthy meal.

Honestly, I was really surprised how cheap produce is in Germany when I moved here. A can of pringles or a bag of chips is fucking expensive here too.
>>
>>37030103
>>37030612

Are you guys skeletons or what?

Before lifting 3 years ago I spend arround 5-7€ for food a day, now after lifting for 3 years I spend about 12-15€ a day.

Before: bowl of shit tier cornflakes as breakfast, some sandwich at work, maybe some bar like Mars as a snack, some processed garbage as diner at the evening like pizza or lasagne.

Now: breakfast is oats, berries with milk and whey, at work I eat rice, tuna, kidney beans and mozzarella with oilive oil and Avocado, diner is chicken with rice and veggies, snacks are peanut butter and cashews

I sure look 1000 times better now but still, lifting made it more expensive
>>
>>37030030
this meme annoys me so fucking much

"the cheapest food is the unhealthiest" is absolute fucking bullshit

the truth is that "the cheapest TASTY AND EASY TO FIND food is the unhealthiest"

no poor person wants to spend their money on oats and kidney beans because they dont taste as good as double cheeseburgers and they take time to prepare
>>
>>37032649
>before fit
>eat $5-7 worth of food a day
>after fit
>eat $1 worth of food a day for the most part

bit more now that I am bulking but nowhere close to what I used to eat
>>
>>37032597
canned veg, chicken, rice
cheap and healthier than mcdonalds
>>
>>37032649
For me it is cheaper than before because I fill in the diet with extremely cheap food as follows
>dry lentils (1 lb = $1. makes like 10 servings)
>potatoes (10 lbs = $4)
>onions (5 onions = $3)
>dry pinto beans (very cheap)
>bag of like 20 frozen boneless chicken thighs, $7
>>
The only meat I even eat is chicken that is part of what keeps my food bill low. Any other meat just costs too much. Even the cheapest pork is $3 a pound. And for some reason that pork tastes like shit and makes me sick so no thanks.
>>
>>>37030030
Not understanding that impoverished families work more hours than nonimpoverished families. Not understanding that having a lower income typically means there is more work to get done, because amenities like garbage men, lawn mowing services, window washers, maid services, and all sorts of other services rich families pay for have to get done personally. Not understanding that being impoverished typically means higher costs of rent as a percentage of total income, meaning that money for things like personal vehicles is diminished, causing more time to be spent on public transportation. Generally, having less money means impoverished families have much less free time to cook your neet meals. Compile this with lack of education, lower quality food available in low income neighorhoods(sometimes to the extent of having no fresh produce available at all), and the fact that culturally there is less approval for being healthy, and you have a one way ticket to an overweight impoverished populace.
>>
>>37032667
Pastaroni costs a dollar, is non-perishable, and is a meal.
The food that's the most convenient, doesn't take much time to make, costs the least, lasts longer, etc. is the unhealthiest. I know how to cook well as I've been doing it all my life, but be realistic. Cooking isn't cheap. Stop pretending it is.
Oats may be the only thing that's healthy, cheap, quick, long-lasting and just all around great.
>>
>>37032727
>pastaroni
now compare that dollar to rice and beans
>>
>>37032742
Now compare the time and effort it takes between those two. And the fact that a can of beans costs 2 dollars where I live. Rice costs even more for a pound.
Living in a city, there is no comparison between shit junk food and trying to eat healthy and natural. The differential is unimaginable.
>>
>>37032769
where I live I can buy a pound of rice for under 1USD. I'm also in a city
pound of chicken thigh is also $1
dry beans are also fairly cheap
>>
Eating healthy does cost more. Of course you can quote things like vegetables and chicken as cheap but most of us like some variety in our diet and that's where it starts to cost. Decent olive oil costs more, sugar substitutes cost more, good quality steak costs more.

I mean yes you can live on oatmeal, chicken and rice but at that point you just have to ask yourself why cheaper, easier, tastier and more convenient to go get 6 mcdoubles.
>>
>>37032769
also when people are talking about eating shitty they are usually talking about fast food, soda, chips, etc... even pastaroni is better than that.
especially since most of that stuff doesn't fill you up so you eat a lot more of it.

there is also the fact you can just eat less to save both money and not get fat
>>
>>37032795
Weird. Then again, a gallon of milk costs 5 bucks over here, so, it doesn't ill-behoove you to think that anything that isn't fucking pumped full of Bovine Growth Hormone won't be cheap.

Eating healthy as a broke student in this fucking expensive ass city is a real challenge. I just focus on getting a variety of shitty junk food in me and doing a lot of cardio to guarantee I don't eat too many calories.
300 calorie breakfast
600 calorie lunch
400 calorie dinner
>>
Cooking at home requires a higher starting cost to do it right. You need pans, knives, etc, and the better the equiptment is the more pleasant cooking is for you.

Then there's herbs, spices, salt, pepper; you only use a little bit but you have to buy an entire jar of the stuff.

So then you need the ingredients. You can buy around 5kg (about 11lb): around 22 decently sized breasts of chicken breasts for the cost of about the same amount of cheap chicken burgers fast food. Here the convenience outweighs the start up cost and the effort.

An anecdote of this issue is when I cooked for my girlfriend when we were fresh into seeing each other. I had to buy everything for her, I needed a decent baking tray, needed the seasonings.. you know basic things you generally have waiting for you.. the cost of all this came to at least 5 or 6 times more than the ingredients you would buy anyway.

People teetering the poverty line cannot afford a large outlaying cost like this, and can only really afford 'little and often' costs... this is due to their work lifestyle and the fact that they probably just aren't good with money.. I know coz I suck myself.

Anyone who thinks cooking is cheaper is technically correct.. but the vast majority of you losers probably still live with your parents or have had a lot of the outlay costs bought for you.
>>
>>37032818
well to be fair I'm in Reno for college
Rice is cheap as fuck, chicken is fairly cheap, milk is less than 3 bucks
I also get a 10% discount on everything for being a student
>>
File: 1462124186038.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1462124186038.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
I did a shitload of reading about various studies of what measurable statistics do and do not correlate with and plausibly explain obesity, but this was back in undergrad Economics (I did a paper running statistical analyses on obesity numbers) so I no longer have any actual sources to cite but I'm sure you can find them and/or suck my dick if you don't want to look shit up.

Long story short though, obesity does seem to correlate with economic status, but *only* to the extent that economic status is correlated with education, which itself can be connected directly to obesity with way more statistical significance than other numbers like household income. Other studies have measured and compared the link between obesity and price sensitivity to the link between obesity and knowledge of healthy food choices, and concluded that the latter was way more significant.

In short, the evidence suggests that it's the knowledge in people's heads, not the money in their bank accounts, that really determines whether or not they'll be obese. Which is good news, since ignorance about food sounds easier to correct than poverty.

This is why I think it's really cool when people like Chef Ainsley (pic related) run programs like episodes of his cooking show totally centered around making recipes that are both healthy and cheap.
>>
>>37032845

can you like shut the fuck up
>>
>>37032885

No.
>>
>>37030030
Stir fry cost 7$. 5 mcdoubles cost 5$
>>
Eating the same shit every day is not healthy.

I spend $250 a week in Whole Foods and the local vegetable market on organic food. When you grow up you'll see what being healthy really means.
>>
>>37032902

You need to shut the fuck up NOW!
>>
In poor neighborhoods near me, there aren't many supermarkets; folks that can't afford a car and don't live near the one shitty bus line in town can either make a two-hour walk to a place where they can buy vegetables, or waddle one block to the Burger King.

It's a calculated move by fast food companies. They've blocked or chased away multiple grocery companies over the last 20 years so they can keep siphoning what little money the neighborhood has.

I know /fit/ thrives on the belief that weird-looking bodies are the universe's payback for not being a Navy SEAL or whatever, but consider for a moment that some companies make their money by trapping people and turning them into cattle. Not as simple as just choosing to eat healthy.
>>
>>37030030
poor people are generally also dumb people.
>>
>>37032919
>I spend $250 a week in Whole Foods and the local vegetable market on organic food.
>When you grow up you'll see what being healthy really means.
You are a fucking retard
>>
>>37032919
I spend 20$ a week eating at taco bell. How come I'm gonna live longer and look better than you in the long run?

Genetics
>>
>>37032919
Local and organic food is a meme.

there basically is no difference between organic and mass produced.
If you have to pick the thing that is most important to the quality of fruit and vegetables it is reducing the time since harvesting before eating it.
>>
>>37030030
>DESTRUCTION OF WORKING CLASS CULTURE
E
>S
T
>R
U
>C
T
>I
O
>N

>O
F

W
>O
R
>K
I
>N
G

C
>L
A
>S
S

C
>U
L
>T
U
>R
E
>>
>>37032714

Copypasta?

Either way, this reeks of bullshit.

If impoverished families work so fucking much and do everything themselves, then why are they so overweight if they move around so often?
>>
>>37032714
families on welfare are impoverished but work an average of 16 hours a week
they have all the time in the world to do what they need but they are lazy
>>
>>37033398
Lazy has nothing to do with having 3 jobs that all demand yuu give 150% of your time and enegry to them for close to no pay and just ignore your other jobs or you're fired!
>>
>>37033445
>average of 16 hours a week
>they all have 3 jobs
>>
>>37033445
>Lazy has nothing to do with having 3 jobs that all demand yuu give 150% of your time and enegry to them

Must be some real comfy jobs if you can gain a shit ton of weight.
>>
Real talk, eating well costs less per meal, but if you only have a few bucks to spend on food at any point in time, you may find yourself forced to make shitty food choices. Also, if you live in a food desert, the opportunity cost of regularly accessing proper food may seem too high.
>>
>>37032822
This is a load of shit. You don't buy everything up front, you accumulate it over a period of months.
>>
>>37030325
Niggers and spics have higher Rates of obesity than whites
/pol/ was right again
>>
>>37032769
city cucks btfo'd once again
>>
>>37030317
I spent thirty fucking dollars the other day on a recepie for almond crusted chicken
>>
>>37030030
i can only speak for the US but here ya go:

1) look up food deserts. people literally can't buy fresh produce in some places and their only food source is convenience stores and fast food. otherwise they have to take a bus 3-4 hours a day just to buy groceries

2) poor people typically have to work more to make ends meet. this means that to them, swinging by a drive through and getting a hot meal in 5 minutes is way more convenient than buying, cooking, and cleaning up for a meal.

3) fast food is marketed to seem cheaper than buying food. so poor people fall for this and buy 4 mcdoubles for lunch.

4) soda. its sweet, cheap, and gives you a sugar high.

there's tons of other stuff but the data doesn't lie. seriously look up food deserts. should be way more known. hospitals in Camden, NJ are literally the only source of fresh produce for some people. they have a farmstand IN the hospital. its sad man.
>>
>>37030030
One doesn't cause the other. Being a dumb-ass causes both.
>>
>>37030059
>>37030030
It's psychological. Calories are so fucking cheap in America it doesn't matter how much you make, 7000 calories a day is within the reach of anyone. Truly the land of opportunity.
>>
>>37032818
Where the literal fuck do you live and why do you live there?

>captcha: choose all the bananas
>>
>mongreels too dumb to understand complex sociological processes and thinking in a direct causation

well what did i expect
>>
>>37030317

Yes it is you fag. You can buy a gallon of juice at food 4 less poverty mart for like 99c, it literally 4000 calories of sugar water. Retarded nigger parents give this shit to their stupid fucking children all day because it shuts them up. Not to mention candy etc etc that is much much cheaper than buying beans and rice you fucking tard.

Source: I grew up in a ghetto
>>
>>37032705
Ground turkey is less than $3/lb
>>
>>37035957
>much much cheaper than buying beans and rice

the problem isn't price then, its portion control. you can get a pound of dried beans for a dollar or less and thats a fuck ton of servings. same with rice
>>
>>37030030
A large part of it is many Americans are overworked horribly with little pay. By the time they get home from these long hours on their feet, they're too tired to cook and grab terrible food that's already made for them, which has high amounts of calories without much nutrition.

They also are thinking about food being wasted and that equals money lost. Crap like boxed macaroni isn't going to go bad, but your fruits and vegetables are going to spoil.
>>
>>37032705
you have shit markets then.

chicken (thighs and drumsticks) 0.99/lb
pork center cut 1.99/lb
spiral ham 0.88/lb
ground turkey 1.99/lb
>>
>>37030059
It's the other way around, obesity means you spend more money on food which means you're more likely to end up in poverty.

These fatties usually don't think in weight but in packages, if 500gr of packaged lettuce is more expensive then a bag of 100gr chips, they'll easily claim that healthy food is more expensive despite the fact that the bag of chips probably wouldn't last a day while the lettuce could last one for three

The problem isn't poverty, the problem is a lack of basic understanding of nutrition.

I didn't learn about basic nutrition (carbs/fat/proteins and their main differences) until I was 21, deciding I want to start working out and remembering that there was a guy who said nutrition is key so I started reading up on it.

Nothing taught in education from primary to middle to college
>>
>>37030030
Low intelligence causes obesity
Low intelligence causes poverty
>>
>>37036040
this is also true although once you are born into the low class it is incredibly hard to escape it. the land of opportunity is now the land of reaping the harvest. if your ancestors did fuck all, you will probably do fuck all as well. this also means youll likely end up obese. born poor, die poor. thats the way it is now.
>>
It's more like poorer people are less educated and just generally more unintelligent so it naturally leads to poor food choices.
>>
>>37030287
>part of the problem is the cheaper foods are almost always unsatisfying

This is only because they have a stigma of being "poor food".
Convenience food still has an allure and an air of prestige to the lower classes, like it did to the middle class in the 50s (though the trend towards home cooking will start to slowing filter down the ranks soon).

>>37032714

Have you ever actually worked a low class job? Those tend to be easy as fuaaaark. No thought required, not at all taxing mentally. You have more than enough time to plan out your meals and such. Plus, your workout is covered if those jobs are really so taxing physically. And grocery shopping takes 2.5 hours MAX if you're in the worst situation and have to take a bus. Everyone has that much time.

Plus, there are very, very few people working 60+hours a week, and poor, and don't have someone at home who's working less and can cover this stuff. It's a false flag to get mo money fo dem programs.

Not to mention the fact that many of the chronically poor are bouncing through long periods of unemployment. How the fuck do they not have time to cook then?
>>
>>37036099
>this is also true although once you are born into the low class it is incredibly hard to escape it.

It's hard to escape because of associative mating.

Many of the smart, but poor people got ahead in the mid-Century, and they married other smart people who kept getting ahead. Whereas the dumbasses stayed poor, so now the poor kids come from 2 dumb parents and are born dumb as a result. It's getting even harder to escape the lower class because there's simply less poor kids who are born with the smarts needed to rise.
>>
>>37032938

>Won't even plan ahead long enough to make a couple hours with a hand-cart once every week or two worth the trip

This is bullshit and you know it. This wild "trapping people and turning them into cattle" talk is overdramatic and has no relation to reality whatsoever.
>>
>>37030059
>I don't even get the poverty causes you to eat fucking more thing anyway.
it doesn't, but it increases cortisol, which makes you fat even without more calories.

Hormones are funny like that.
>>
>>37036274
It has every relation to reality. I see it every day on the sidewalk outside my house. The word cattle might be a little hyperbolic, but the word trap is not.
>>
All you faggots taking about food deserts should open up a produce stand for these poor bastards and see how much interest there is. Not saying deserts don't exist, saying it might not be an illuminati fast food conspiracy.
>>
>>37035847
I know bro, I spent over 100 dollars on the ribs I was making last week. God, I could have just gotten cheap food at McDonalds. Why is being healthy so difficult hur dur hur dur hur
>>
>>37030144
Post body.
>>
>>37030030
Laziness causes poverty.
Laziness also happens to cause obesity.
It's all about there being a correlation, so people assume causation.
>>
>>37032515

>saucages
>>
Poor people don't have time to cook when they work 60-78 hours a week
>>
>>37038216
Meal prep on sunday for the whole week.
>>
>>37038216
>implying you are poor while working 60-78 hours a week
>>
File: IMG_20140822_114709.jpg (76 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140822_114709.jpg
76 KB, 500x500
>>37036969
This is the most brief and correct explanation I've heard
>>
>>37038266
>he's never worked min wage
>>
>>37030030
When you're living in poverty it's impossible to gain weight

I have 7 dollars left a week for food every week and I barely survive and losing weight fast because I'm poor
>>
>>37038312
Minimum wage is 11.25$ and if you're working 60 hours a week that's alot of money
>>
>>37038312
minimum wage is 8,5€ where I live. working 60 hours would give you more than 2000€ per month.
>>
>>37030030
>poverty causes obesity

u wot m8? That literally makes no sense how cam someone who has no money eat enough to gain weight
>>
>>37036969
This.
The rest of you faggots are arguing non important shit.
>>
>>37038266
This

600 a week is far from being broke
>>
>>37030319
Do they work more than my doctor friend who worked 80 hrs on a slow week, and had to study for exams but still found time to cook and work out to otter mode?
>>
>>37038318
Iktf bro I've had to resort to stealing condiments from restaurants just to get calories
>>
>>37036211
>poor people don't work 60 hours a week

That's because nobody wants to work that hard and stay poor, either they find a way to become rich or work less hours and stay below the poverty line.
>>
>>37038395
You can't work 60 hours a week and be anywhere close to poor no matter what job you have

>Inb4 some illegal citizen who cuts grass for 1 dollar an hour
>>
People are stupid and think eating junk is cheaper than eating healthy
>>
>>37038448
Eating healthy is expensive as fuck,I live in ontario and in order to eat healthy you're gonna be spending 15 dollars a meal
>>
>>37038330
Minimum wage is $7.32, familia
>>
>>37038474
New Zimbabwe is an outlier.
>>
>>37038498
No its not its over 11 dollars, I'd know because I work a minimum wage job
>>
>>37038551
In your city, maybe. Federal minimum wage is $7.25. Most states are around $7.50
>>
>tfw literally all I can afford is eggs, Ramen and bread

I think im getting sick because of my diet
>>
>>37038569
I don't live in the US, how could anyone work for less than 11 dollars an hour? Cmon it's 2016 everything's expensive
>>
>>37036264
>tfw this is literally what happened to my boyfriend
both his parents are high school dropouts. And while his dad is at least a relatively nice (but dumb) guy, his mom is an outright crazy bitch that has no idea how to spend her fucking money. If it weren't for ethnicity scholarships there's no fucking way he would be going to college (1/4 native american on his dad's side).

The sad part is that he's pretty much okay with mediocrity because it's all he knows. He wants to finish college and be the first of his family to do so (his brother went to college but did fuck all there and dropped out, now spends all his money on weed and magic the gathering) but he literally told me that he just wants to get an okay job, live well, have some kids he can be proud of, and die. I'm slowly trying to convince him that there's way more to life.
>>
>>37038569
Wtf is America living in the stone age? When it costs 4 dollars for a liter of milk and almost 4 dollars for a loaf of bread who the fuck can live on minimum wage?

fucking Ramen noodles are $1.25 a bag now and you cant even get a mcdouble from mcdonalds for under 2 dollars
>>
>>37038600
$10/hr for 40 hours a week comes to about $20800 a year, above the 50 percentile on the US which means more than half of Americans live on less than that.

We can't all live in a first world country like you, anon
>>
>>37036631
>tfw I still havent made the chicken because I'm a lazy fuck
>>
>>37038657
Here is my source, BTW

http://whatsmypercent.com/
>>
>>37038330
7.25 USD where I live.
But if youre working on minimum wage you must be working like the entriest of entry level jobs. I mean my first job making pizzas at Little Caesers paid me 7.75.
>>
>>37038648
Ramen noodles are 1.25 for a six pack.
>>
>>37030030
Nice ironic shitpost. You're posting from a movie where all the retards would agree with what you said and are proven to be complete morons.
>>
>>37038727
No they aren't not in ontario m8
>>
>>37038648
This

>mfw people think Ramen noodles are cheap
>>
File: 1458357554483.gif (798 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1458357554483.gif
798 KB, 300x225
>>37030030
>mfw I don't care about this bait shit and only want to find that webm of mark wahlberg with the fortunate song mix but my webm folder is too fucking big
>>
>>37030030
If you take into account the depreciation of your entire kitchen and all the cost involved in making and cleaning up after a meal, including the value of your own labor, McDonalds food really is the cheapest. Their ingredients have great nutrients per dollar price, they can buy minced meat much cheaper than us consumers. Obviously they make food in a much more cost effective fashion than us too, they have custom industrial ovens and their cooks can make 5 burgers in 5 minutes.
Saying it's cheaper to cook yourself is like saying it's cheaper to twine your own cotton, weave your own cloth, and sew your own clothes.
>>
>>37038377

>I also use low fat mayo
>>
>>37038914
i laughed but then i felt bad. when you're a fatty your own judgment goes to shit as well
>>
>>37038806
They aren't cheap at all compared to potatoes
>>
>>37038648
>4 dollars for a loaf of bread

Are you fucking kidding? You can get half a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread for less than 4 dollars here.
>>
>>37038644
why are you playing fixer upper with a dead end unambitious person?
>>
>>37030030
Poverty correlates with obesity because they are both generally caused by bad decision making.
>>
>>37039447
Yeah everything in canada is more than double the price than in the states
>>
>>37039505
How is poverty from bad decision making? When you don't know contacts to get a good job you're basically fucked in life

The only job I can get is working at a golf course because my dad knows the superintendent and that only pays 12.50$ an hour and guys who've been there for 12 years are making 15$ an hour
>>
>>37039621
Pretty much everything in life revolves around who knows who
>>
>>37035857
>implying you need fresh produce to eat healthy
>implying you can't survive on healthy non-perishables
>muh meme deserts

idiot
>>
>>37030030
produce = gmo's + cooking + slightly more expensive
mcdonnas = cheap + gmos + toxins
whole foods = healthier + cooking + expensive

I'm thinking I might grow my own veggies.
>>
>>37039621
>tfw both parents work at a convenient store making 8.30 per hr
>>
>>37039505
sounds like you're pampered anon
>>
>>37039473
He's pretty.
>>
>>37039585
why? healthcare?
>>
>>37038794
Well then quit living in such a shitty place.
>>
>>37039745
not him but probably the taxes
>>
>>37039746
Yeah, why live somewhere you can't afford to live when you could move somewhere that's just as good but cheaper? It's like people complaining how expensive Manhattan is. Moron, no one is forcing you to live there.
>>
Beans, Lentils, meat on sale, eggs, frozen veggies, canned veggies, fresh fruit and vegetables in season, rice, flour, milk. These are all affordable things that you can use to make delicious, nutritious food. It is not cheaper to eat healthy, people are too stupid and or lazy to learn to cook cheaper food.
>>
>>37039665
Lol they're making less than the legal minimum wage
>>
>>37030030
You'd have to work 100 hours a week to survive on minimum wage, so you don't have time to cook your own food.

When you have a job that makes you want to kill yourself, you run out of fucks to give and turn to comfort food/drugs to feel better about your miserable existence.
>>
>>37039883
Kek wtf? Making over 1000 dollars a week? Who needs that much money
>>
>>37039883
I work minimum wage 40 hrs a week and make 770 every 2 weeks and I live perfectly fine
>>
>>37039762
nah the way it works is, theres a shitload of jobs in Manhattan. Manhattan is expensive even for rich people. But the surrounding boroughs and states are getting expensive as fuck. All the other boroughs, queens, westchester, brooklyn, bronx, hoboken, jersey city, (slowly)newark. Affluent people, Yuppies, and hipsters are moving in. The middle class people, live in areas like connecticut, and north jersey are starting to get expensive. So their kids(us) we have to become dishwashers, waiters and burger flippers, until we "pay our dues" But we've already been paying our dues for 10 years.

And you're absolutely right. I'm ready to pack and move to arizona and start my own business or something. I hate this shit.
>>
>>37039890
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/you-have-to-work-100-hours-a-week-to-get-by-on-minimum-wage-in-these-states-2015-10-13
>>
>>37039921
>states

Thank god I live in canada where you can live fine off minimum wage
>>
>>37039911
What kind of minimum wage job lets you work full time? If I work more than 30 hours a week they cut my hours so they don't have to give me healthcare.
>>
>>37039942
My job doesn't have benefits and Healthcare in canada doesn't cost anything
>>
>>37039890
This

I make 1100 a month and live comfortably
>>
>>37038439
>What is rent and children
>>
>>37040041
You get 1000 dollars a month for baby bonus so kids don't cost anything out of your own funds here and my rent is 500 a month

I know girls who pop out kids every year just for the baby bonus money
>>
>>37039913
I have friends from nyc and it seems implausible to them that people live anywhere else. They struggle to afford a 500 sqft closet. When you introduce the idea of living anywhere else they immediately dismiss it -- they don't even state that they prefer to live in new york, they just don't think it's possible for someone from new york to live anywhere else, like some mental block prevents them from accepting the idea that it is physically possible to move outside of the five boroughs.
>>
>>37038439
Yeah the problem isn't so much minimum wage, the problem is people on minimum wage having kids.
>>
>>37040134
The government gives you money every month for your kids, they don't cost anything out of pocket
>>
>>37039913
fair enough. I can understand not wanting to move away from home, but lots of people have had to do it. Good on you for doing it. I just thought it was people who were like "but I could only live in New York because of museums" (I hear this shit all the time).
>>
>>37040131
Who would ever want to live somewhere that has more than 60k people? Everything's expensive as fuck in big cities and you have no privacy
>>
>>37040185
I like small to medium cities, to be honest. Big enough to have different things, but not so big that crime is bad and it's affordable to live. My city keeps growing and adds good paying jobs every year.
>>
>>37040134
the problem here in Ontario is people on welfare having 6+ kids and leeching off the baby benefits and never working a day in there life yet they have more money than people working 60 hours a week
>>
>>37040225
Holy fuck that pisses me off when you see welfare bums out partying every night because the baby bonus gives them thousands a month
>>
>>37030030
The reality is laziness and stupidity cause both poverty and obesity. People always pretend like the reason generations of the same people can't get out of poverty is because the system is rigged against them, but the truth is that they're just degenerates, their kids are degenerates, and their parents before them were degenerates because they keep passing on degenerate genetics.

Both my parents came from families living in poverty. My mom's parents immigrated from Latvia during WWII and started with nothing once they got here in the US. They worked hard though, instilled good principals in their children, and literally all 4 of their children ended up with high paying jobs. My dad's side of the family though had been mired in poverty for generations, and with the exception of my dad who is an incredibly hard worker and one of the most responsible people I've ever met, the rest of them pretty much continued to cycle because they're degenerates.
>>
>>37040248
you get more money not working man, I'd go the welfare and kid's route but I can't stand doing nothing all day
>>
File: 1460107207959.png (50 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1460107207959.png
50 KB, 600x600
>>37030030
it is always cheaper to eat less of the same so poverty is NEVER an excuse for obesity

intelligence negatively correlates with obesity
intelligence positively correlates with wealth

the result is that unintelligent people often happen to be both poor and obese
>>
>>37040337
Intelligence doesn't correlate with wealth, that all depends who can hook you up with a good job, I know people dumb as a brick and they have amazing jobs because they knew the right people
>>
File: 1434476186880.jpg (74 KB, 526x567) Image search: [Google]
1434476186880.jpg
74 KB, 526x567
I'm actually homeless and living off food stamps while I try to get my own place It's not that hard to eat well. I get $200 a month to eat. My diet is pretty primal though. Lots of bulk bin nuts and dried fruit. Pouches/cans of tuna or salmon. Crispbreads and pita. I volunteer with the food bank regularly so I get to swipe some fancy foods and produce too. Have buckets of nut butters at camp. I make lots of salads and cook over campfires a lot.Between college and work I still have plenty of time to take care of myself and cook decent for myself

If you have time to put your face in a screen for 4 hours you have time to cook and work out
>>
>>37040447
You get 200 a month for food for free? Wtf I've got a food budget of 20 dollars a month and I work full time
>>
>>37030258
>the meme that won't die
>>37035957
>purple drank
there's your problem. people are so fucking addicted to sugar they can't rehydrate without a pound of corn syrup mixed in. You tell people to drink water when they're thirsty and they look at you like you just disemboweled their cat.
>>
>>37040473
I meant 20 dollars a week not month kek
>>
File: 1462177666211.gif (19 KB, 533x429) Image search: [Google]
1462177666211.gif
19 KB, 533x429
>>37040399
>Intelligence doesn't correlate with wealth
idiot
>>
>All through school they preach correlation not equal causation
>grow up
>"POOR PEOPLE ARE OFTEN FAT THEREFOR POVERTY CAUSES OBESITY ITS NOT THEIR FAULT"

its like people don't grasp fundamental logic anymore.
>>
>>37040487
>tfw my gf is like that
>tfw she whines about having nothing tp drink in the house even though the fridge is stacked with water

I swear she never drinks water it's always got to be juice, soda or milk because water has no flavor
>>
>I don't have time to cook
>proceeds to spend 4 hours on netflicks
>>
>>37040494
It doesn't where I live. People who are borderline retarded have great jobs here and I'm making 11 an hour while they make 100k a year or more
>>
Only in America does poverty cause obesity. In other parts of the world it causes starvation
>>
>>37040558
Nobody living in actual poverty is fat because they only have a few dollars a week for food
>>
>>37038330
min wage in my state is 7.25, but you have to be a retard or a nigger to be "stuck" there.

I landed a construction job with no experience and a shit resume grinding concrete for 10 an hour. I busted ass and got a raise to 12 within a month. I worked 12 hours a day 7 days a week.
>>
>>37040514
>being able to buy enough food to get fat
>poor

pick 1
>>
>>37040546
Maybe you're so stupid you don't even realize how stupid you are
I know you're at least uneducated if you think "some idiots have great jobs" is a counter-argument for a general proposition
>>
File: 1445383999841.png (89 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
1445383999841.png
89 KB, 333x250
>>37040546
>muuh anecdotals outweigh objective statistics
have you taken other factors into account, such as work experience? did you make sure you aren't cherry picking or vastly overestimating your intelligence compared to that of others?
>>
>>37040602
No these guys are legit stupid to the point where you shake your head
>>
>>37040525
I'm fucking triggered.
>water has no flavor
it's not supposed to. it's water. you drink it to live. not everything is supposed to be sweet and fruity.
>>
Went to a buffet and most the people there were pretty fat. They didn't really look poor
>>
>>37039651
>implying poor people can be bothered to portion control and read nutritional info

you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. when people only have access to snack cakes and soda they are going to get fat. end of story.
>>
>>37040618
Most people only drink and eat for taste
>>
>>37039733
cunt
>>
>>37030030
well poor people are often dumb as well

a study released in my home country revealed that about 41% of indebted people have only finished compulsory school, an additional 28% didn't even complete that

as a former poor person myself I see the correlation that poor equals fat but there's the thing about lacking education somewhere inbetween

for example: I only realized that 2 liters of my former favourite soda was about 800 Cals after I didn't fit in my pants... I had that every day
>>
>>37040643
Poor people have no choice but to portion control because they can only afford a tiny meal each day

Last week I had to go to a restaurant and steal condiments for something to eat
>>
>>37030395
pls into reading AND comprehension
>unsatisfying
>un
>>
>>37040679
lol @ your poorness

and there's a difference between being literally broke and being lower class
>>
>>37040746
Lower class doesn't equal poor, poor equals having under 10 dollars a week for food
>>
>>37030030
If you're eating fast food you definitely aren't living in poverty
>>
>>37040768
>under 10 dollars a week for food
the only place I think of where you could survive on 10 bucks for food is cambodia dude
>>
>>37030030

Indeed, poverty is just another symptom of the same underlying problem that causes obesity in the VAST majority of cases.

Stupidity causes both of these things. Almost all of the people I've met who aren't fat and broke are also not brick fucking dumb. Almost all of the people I've met who are fat and broke are also brick fucking dumb.
>>
>>37040828
This. Fast food restaurants considered a privilege of the middle class in 2nd world countries
>>
>>37040844
Learn how to spend money wisely senpai. You can eat clean on 10 bucks a week in US
>>
>>37040896
NO MOM I DON'T WANT RICE AND BEANS FOR THE 100TH TIME FUCK THIS SHIT I'M EATING AT MARTIN'S

sry I got a little triggered
>>
>>37032714
>>If we don't keep them dumb fat and repressed who is going to do all the shity work that I don't want to
>>
>>37040473
A benefit of Burgerland. I could afford to buy energy drinks

I only use about $175 a month and I eat a lot since I bike at least 40 miles a day.
>>
>>37040643
>buying snack cakes and soda
>poor
choose wisely
>>
>>37041216
>40 miles a day

holy shit
>>
>be me
>grew up poor
>parents couldn't afford much food but we still had stuff to eat
>dad gets a new job
>mom gets a job too
>at the time l was 11
>got fatter and fatter
>totally not the fact that my parents had enough money to afford junk food
Thank god l started lifting when l was a skinnyfat dyel, people will make shit up for anything
>>
>>37040867
Fast food is a privilege in first world countries

I haven't ate out in months ever since I moved into my own place

>tfw you wish you could afford to go to mcdonalds up the street but only the privileged get to go there
>>
poor people dont have time to waste , thats why the eat fast food all the time

atleast where i live , also if they are poor they arent going to know shit about nutrition
>>
>>37040643
you don't need money to be able to read labels and learn about nutrition. there's no excuse to be fat, end of story
>>
>>37042073
that shit only happens in merica
>>
>>37042143
everyone is capable of being lazy
>>
>>37030030
Poor people have poor ways.
>>
>>37042174
In other countries you cant be lazy and poor

you choose one or die

America is in a phase where people can get anything they want to the point where they start to devolve. People get stupid , fat and lazy.
>>
>>37042235
>not understanding that America has far less of a social safety net than other western countries
>>
when i was really broke i ate a cup of oatmeal, 6 whole eggs and a can of spaghetti and meatballs from chef boyardee 8 times a day for a year and a half. made gains, ez.
>>
>>37042235
I don't know if you've seen footage of poor people in some of these jungle countries but they are pretty darned lazy. just because their work is manual doesn't mean they don't slack off hardcore
>>
>>37032515

>Saucages
>>
>>37032649

No, I`m a recovered lard ass.

First of all i feel much better all around. During and after fit meals. I feel full yet not bloated nor sleepy. Which was the case during the fatness. I`m also more accustomed to homecoocked meals, made of frozen veggies, tin foods and lean meats.

You`d be surprised how much saving there is in just buying all the small shit, and cooking sauces, toppings and the likes in bulks. Especially if you cook whole dinners in bulks, and freeze them. Per meal the costs half already there. Lean meats and complex carbs from beans, chickpeas and a side dish of a salat or steamed veggis keep me well fed longer, thus smaler portions, thus better economy. All the sweet snacks and other disgusting shit i used to eat alone upped the costs a great deal. I can live on 10 usd a day just fine, 12 tops. Oh, and i live in scandiland, where the food is generally more expensive than most European countries.
>>
>>37042248
Hahaha yeah ok m8 you guys have food stamps for fuck sakes, I've never seen that shit in canada and I'm on a food budget of 20 bucks a month

you either work in canada or die
>>
>>37039942
When I worked min wage (in US), they would make it so people worked at most 5.5 hours because once you hit 6, they are required to let you take a 30 min lunch break that you got paid for. So they were essentially giving you money for no work for 30 min. Bad part is it meant you almost never got more than 5.5 hours.

I was in high school at the time but the adults working there had other jobs they worked in order to actually work 40 hours a week. And they still barely made any money - starting wage at the place was $7.25/hour. That amounts to less than 15k a year...
>>
>>37042291
>living in toronto
>>
>>37030030
It's not that it necessarily causes obesity, but if you are part of the working poor it can be difficult to eat properly and exercise. My brother is a social worker, one of his clients is a good example
>single mother w/ 2 kids
>works 3 jobs for total of 60 hours/week
>still qualifies for food stamps
>often eats fast food for convenience
>buys processed, microwaveable foods so her kids can cook dinner easily if she is working late
From what my brother says, she's not a hamplanet, but she is fat, and with her work schedule/kids, she can't spend 1 hour a day working out.

Not saying it doesn't sometimes come down to laziness, but sometimes there are factors that take priority over fitness
>>
>>37042309
>implying you have to exercise to lose weight and it's not 100% diet
>implying fastfood is faster than throwing together something quick and healthy
>implying she couldn't eat exactly the same but just no overeat and gain weight
>making excuses for a dumb singlemother

epic
>>
>>37042291
you forgot option 3
getting your "assistance" (aka welfare check) direct deposited in you checking account every month
>trying to use fucking Canada as an example of a place without social safety nets
top kek
>>
>>37042324
>implying you can cook and serve a meal for 3 in 3 minutes
yes, you're right, you don't have to overeat just because you're poor, but saying poverty isn't a contributing factor to some obesity is just wrong
>>
if you are getting fat if you are poor, you're allocating your money in the wrong fucking place.
>>
>>37042410
there's nothing being poor does that prevents you from eating at or below your TDEE

there's nothing about being poor that makes a 1 dollar macrowavable pasta thing quicker than going to a drive-thru

there's nothing about being that prevents you from having better time management

there's nothing about being poor that says you can't feed your kids absolute shit while eating well yourself until one of them is old enough to cook

more excuses
>>
>>37030030
Pretty interesting study here, the "key findings" at the beginning are not what I expected
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db50.htm
>>
you owe it to your kids to feed them properly, that doesn't mean feeding them an excess of cheap crap to make them fat. don't buy cakes, chips and all the other shit that is supposedly cheaper, buy the good stuff in actual human portions
>>
>>37042366
Yeah like 650 dollars a MONTH is enough for a safety net lmfao
>>
>>37042475
lets play spot the teen who is bad with money
>>
>>37030030

Fat people are stupid.
Stupid people are poor.
>>
>>37036969
based tripfag
>>
most people in the US are rich enough to afford a healthy lifestyle, if they aren't retarded with money. use a pay as you go mobile for receiving calls and use payphones or work phones or other cheap phones for making calls. straight away saving money from an expensive contract right there. cut out all luxury foods, you don't need them. cut out shit that isn't needed.

your body's only source of sustenance, fuel and nutrients, outside of respiration, come from your diet, and if you give it shit you will get shit out in return. if there is one fucking thing you should spend decent money on for yourself or your children, its a healthy diet.
>>
>>37042475
You forgot free healthcare, unemployment, retirement benefits, and government subsidized childcare.

So yeah, "work or die" doesn't seem quite accurate
>>
>>37042571
>free health care

that's a myth I almost died from infected teeth and my dad had to pay 3k
>>
>>37042637
some vision and dental things are not covered, but it is still way better than the US
>still pretending Canada isn't essentially a socialist republic
>>
>>37032822
You need 1 knife, a wooden spoon, a cutting board, a colander, a sauce pan and a frying pan. You can make do with just the above.

>>37032797
If you're poor why the fuck are you worried about an expensive EVOO or a nice cut of steak? You're arguing that poor people shouldn't have to settle for shitty beaters because it's too expensive to buy a well maintained Ferrari.

>>37032938
Go catch a bus to the white part of town and buy frozen veggies, rice and beans. You're arguing that laziness causes obesity, not poverty.
>>
>>37040650
What a disturbing thought that the world we've created enables people like this.
>>
>>37040248
That doesn't really happen in real life outside of conservative talk radio.
>>
>>37030030
>Poor people frequently eat fast food.
Really !
Fuck, you american children are out of touch with reality.
>>
>>37042296
I get 70 minutes of "paid" break working a 12-hour shift, a 30-minute one and a 40-minute one.

Our competitor pays more, but the breaks aren't paid.

What I think happened was they just factored in the costs of us not working for those 70 minutes and lowered our wages to account, boom "paid" breaks.

It's a pain in the ass to have 1000 people clock in and clock out 6 times a day, so they just don't want to deal with it.
>>
>>37030059
It's because fast food is cheap and easy access, yet unhealthy. People in low socioeconomic classes are more likely to be uneducated about proper diet and risks of obesity.
>>
>>37043047
And Murcia is a fast paced country, people just wanna grab the nearest thing and eat it. Especially if working a full time job. Not defending obesity tho.
>>
>>37038578
Dump the ramen and the bread, they are corroding your liver and intestines and only make you hungrier. Buy coconut oil in bulk and eat it by the spoon combined with eggs. Keto masterrace engaged.
>>
>>37038644
Can confirm, am also the fit offspring of a fat, crazy bitch (BPD really does a number on them, as if being functionally retarded wasn't bad enough, she also had to be abusive) and got out thanks to the government handing me money just for doing good in school. Feels good man.

>be mom, be like I'LL KILL MYSELF AND IT'LL BE YOUR FAULT! all day er'day
>be Uncle Sam, be like, we see you got good grades, keep it up, have some money to get away from the crazy bitch

Sailed all the way through grad school without any loans, now making more than parents ever did.
>>
>>37043062
>people just wanna grab the nearest thing and eat it.

People are literally worse than fucking monkeys.
>>
>>37032597
Frozen veggies and rice, and eggs are enough to survive on and be plenty healthy. Rice is almost free, and I buy big bags of frozen broccolic, cauliflower, and carrots mixed that last me almost 2 weeks, for 6 dollars.
>>
>>37032921
Lol poorfat anger.
Go suck on a Twinkie, choke on it
>>
If you can eat everyday you don't know poverty
>>
>>37040615
Right
>>
>>37030030
I agree, I don't have a lot of money so I cook rice+beans+broccoli+chicken thighs

I make like 1-2 weeks worth at a time and I eat that most meals... This is much much much cheaper than any option out there.... A 20lb bag of rice is about $8..... 2lbs of dry beans are about $1-2....

If I cook all of the beans and equal parts rice that's like 20 servings at 400cals a serving... then add in a chicken thigh and you have a 600cal plate of food with about 60-70g of protein... This shit comes in at about 50¢ a plate....
>>
Poor education causes obesity; and poverty.

But don't let the fat people know; they're too stupid to understand either way.
Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.