[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I go below 90 degrees on deadlift will my shit snap up??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: download (12).jpg (6 KB, 241x209) Image search: [Google]
download (12).jpg
6 KB, 241x209
If I go below 90 degrees on deadlift will my shit snap up??
>>
>>37027613
wtf are you talking about. You mean dropping your ass more? Go watch professionals deadlift.
>>
>>37027613

No. If you lower your hips too much, they will just shoot up before the bar leaves the ground, once the weight gets heavier.
>>
File: 1460071918964.jpg (65 KB, 960x539) Image search: [Google]
1460071918964.jpg
65 KB, 960x539
all these videos and shit and I still don't exactly understand the deadlift, it's fucking frustrating

i need a simple way to ensure proper form

would this be a good way to go about it?
>legs straight, bend over, grab bar
>lower hips and unlock knees until shins touch bar
>>
>>37027694
Best simple explanation I've come across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3izzg0RCTg
>>
File: How to Deadlift v2.png (1 MB, 1534x1256) Image search: [Google]
How to Deadlift v2.png
1 MB, 1534x1256
>>37027694
>>
>>37027694
yes, it's a good way, i also squat atg while grabbing the bar and then extend like eddie hall
>>
>>37027694
the problem is that everyone has different proportions. so the 5'5 manlet is going to setup than the 5'10 average person is going to setup differently than the 6'3 lanklet
>>
>>37027728
cool. i need to get the bar closer to my shin. i was relying on looking at the bar from top down and putting my foot under it from that perspective.
>>
>>37027694
there must be proper form somewhere on the net - watching other people won't help because it isn't all visual - it's about which muscles are activated over which other muscles. For example, if you lift using your back muscles it raises risk of injury - I was advised to "load" the hamstrings and glutes and drive up using those muscles, instead of lifting up with the back. Once I did that my back trouble I'd been having (twinges after deadliting) went away.

I think there's more to the deadlift than that, as well - like engaging your lats at the right time.

>>37027735
this doesn't have the information about which muscles to contract when - I think that sets people up to think it's easier than it is. I understand you have helpful intentions but I think it raises risk of injury to simplify the deadlift like that, it's disappointing to see Rippetoe would do that.
>>
File: 1412018867268.gif (12 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1412018867268.gif
12 KB, 250x242
>>37027863
>like engaging your lats at the right time
>tfw no idea when to even begin activating lats
>>
>>37027907
No offense, but most of you are too weak to worry about more advanced coaching ques like when to engage your lats. Make sure your positioning is right, and be natural about it. Not trying to shit on anybody, but /fit/ likes getting way too far into the weeds way too early.

See >>37027728
>>
>>37027863

>disappointing to see Rippetoe would do that

it's an excerpt from the book with a whole huge chapter on nothing but deadlifting.
If you take a quick look at the book, you'll see Rip has written plenty on how to avoid injury and the mechanics of the lift.

>if you lift using your back muscles it raises risk of injury

You can't lift using your back muscles. None of them perform hip extension.

>this doesn't have the information about which muscles to contract when

Because it's meant to be a quick visual guide with only the most important cues.
If you squeeze your chest up and contract your lower back, and pull the bar against your legs, you'll be doing most of what you need to avoid injury.

>>37027907

Your lats pull the bar closer to your legs. So just think about pulling the bar closer to your legs, and bam your lats will be activated.
If you want some extra queues you can try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm7ZbgjZklE
>>
>>37027694
Load the hamstrings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEy_czb3RKA
>>
>>37027972
>You can't lift using your back muscles. None of them perform hip extension.
It may not be a literal description but figuratively "lifting with the back" looks to me like a real problem - I've come across with myself and a few other people on here, so I think it's something to watch out for. Maybe most people don't have the problem, I don't know - at the moment it seems quite common to me so I'm trying to help people avoid it.

I think quick visual guides are probably unhelpful - and it wouldn't have taken much to add "load the glutes and hamstrings" and it seems like it would lower injury risk a lot (at least that's how the situation looks to me).
>>
>>37027938
It seems like someone under-trained needs to learn the specifics more than the athletic and well-trained because they're weaker and hence more prone to imbalances and injuries.

I must be as weak as almost anyone here and although the lats advice may be too specific learning how to emphasise my glutes and hamstrings over my lower back would have reduced my injury risk a lot the first few times I lifted before I learned about it.
>>
>>37028271
I guess I need to stop thinking about generally active people taking up lifting and more from the context of complete couch potatoes picking it up.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.