[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Functional vs Gym strength
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: illustration.jpg (147 KB, 700x1005) Image search: [Google]
illustration.jpg
147 KB, 700x1005
is this image just a meme or is there really such a thing as functional strength?

I thought being bear mode was genetic. If it isn't, how can I achieve the functional strength body type?

ps i'm still DYEL tier as of now (just began regularly exercising two months ago)
>>
>>37012046
I'm so tired of this reddit meme
>>
>>37012046
Mostly a meme, a couple of truths in there (for example bodybuilders being at their weakest on peak week).
>>
File: 1457747745949.gif (1 MB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
1457747745949.gif
1 MB, 500x276
>>37012046
>iggy pop
>>
The only truth to this means is that you do well at what you train for.

You want to be strong? Train for strength. You want to be able to run a marathon on a whim? That's a different training regimen. Want to be the healthiest dude on Earth? Again, it requires a specific way of going about things.

However, the idea of functional strength is a mean because functional is never defined. Is it functional to be able to 3 plate squat? Is it functional to be able to hike every day? Is it functional to feel better about yourself, physically and emotionally? What functions are you talking about?

If you're going to compete, train like you're going to compete. SS and SL are thrown around a lot, and they're good routines, but they are strength training routines, and might not have the all encompassing functionality for what 99% of people on this forum are really expected to do. Maybe the functional strength of people that are talking about means being able to look good, help a friend move a couch and go on a day-long bike ride. In which case, train for that.
>>
>>37012251
Can I train to fight bears on mountains?
>>
>>37012285
Yes, but you have to train your way up to it. At least six months of fighting raccoons in the hills before you deviate.
>>
>>37012285
Sure. 3x5 every other day. First two should be cubs
>>
>>37012304
I dunno man.

There was that one guy who was out hiking and killed a bear with his teeth.

He may have had background raccoon slaying experience though.
>>
>>37012304
>>37012335
Okay, how about achieving bear-mode body?
The reason why I want it is because I think it gives off massive patriarchal vibes and I want to be able to rape feminists just by flexing my muscles without touching them
>>
>>37012354
After you finishing killing the bear with your bare hands, you need to eat its heart to gain its bearmode powers.

It's a lot easier to just eat an otter's heart though and call it a day.
>>
It is 90% meme made by a fatty who thinks he is strong because he weighs 250lbs.
>>
>>37012046
Well who would know better than a dyel sjw webcomic artist from Portland?
>>
>>37012354
Eat.

50% of your diet should be whole carbs, you'll of course need a fuckton of protein, and I'd recommend and equal split of fruit and veggie servings.
>>
>>37012046
>unfit people: Schwarznegger, movie actor
>fit people: Movie actors
>>
The whole basis for the meme is the fat guys you get in world's strongest man contests.

The supposed /fit/ vs regular is just aesthetic goal vs winning takeshi's castle for failed bodybuilders/darts players as goal.
>>
but what if I want to look like Hercules?
>>
>>37012285
Starting Grizzly is a meme, don't do it.
>>
>>37012565
We don't know how he looked like. We not even sure if he existed
>>
File: hercules statue.jpg (41 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
hercules statue.jpg
41 KB, 320x320
>>37012594
they did make statues of him.
>>
File: 5144JMAK8RL.jpg (53 KB, 330x500) Image search: [Google]
5144JMAK8RL.jpg
53 KB, 330x500
>>37012594

Don't we?
>>
>>37012046
>tfw I can do dragon flags, hanging leg raises etc
You can still have a strong core and a small midsection, these retards know nothing about stomach vacuums.
>>
What do strongmen and olympic lifters use as PEDs?

Very small doses of short esters?

Or weak testosterone derivatives like EQ?
>>
>>37012653
Oly lifters probably use SARMs along with traditional stuff
>>
It's kind of true, but it's mostly a load of crock.

What it's failing to mention is that your average bodybuilder is still going to be way stronger than a guy who doesn't lift, or isn't in good shape. The idea that bodybuilders are weak is pretty fucking retarded. Yeah, they might not be as strong as someone who trains exclusively to get their numbers as high as possible, but they will still blow the fuck out of your average joe.

It all comes down to what you train for specifically, powerlifters are stronger because they have a different set of goals than bodybuilders.
>>
Daily reminder that OP's picture is from a learn-to-draw book and does not reflect reality in any way.
>>
>>37012046
This pic was originally for artists
>>
>>37012046

lmao I got flamed so fucking hard on reddit when I told them that this is just morbidly obese fat people deluding themselves into thinking they're strongmen

fat fucks legit think they're strongmen
>>
That is a drawing guide

this is a guide to draw people

do you see a goddamn source attached jesus
>>
File: Mariusz.jpg (39 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Mariusz.jpg
39 KB, 400x400
>>37012046
You can have both.
Mariusz here won 5 World's Strongest Man competitions, and a slew of other strongman comps. Sure, he's a bit of a freak, but why shoot low?
>>
>>37012046
>fat cucks with shit genetics mad that they have no v taper
lol
>>
>>37012046
They don't understand morphology, you can't change your bone structure like that
>>
>>37012046
First thing to bear in mind is that image was created primarily as a guide for artists. The creator doesn't necessarily have any lifting experience and in my opinion makes some overgeneralisations.

Some of it is true, for example a v-taper is prized in bodybuilding to the point that the obliques, which are useful in compound movements, are deliberately under-trained. Likewise "show muscles" that arent particularly vital for functional strength, like biceps and delts, are trained and emphasized. It's also true that steroid use tends to produce a characteristic comic-book look on the shoulders. (Thays not to say strongmen don't roid...)

Genetic predisposition to a boxy or tapered frame is a whole other issue. It's primarily genetic but can be exaggerated or mitigated with training.
>>
>>37012046

Bro, the triangle look is significantly more attractive. A high shoulder to waist ratio on a dude is a biological signal for fitness, strength and health. Sure a brick-bod may be stronger, but it looks like shit compared to the V.
>>
People get still trolled by this picture lmao.
Tbh I got also trolled by it like 7 years ago.
>>
>>37014396

it was literally posted on /r/fitness and every delusional fat fuck thought they were a strongman
>>
>>37012046
Both can beat you up. Just keep lifting
Hip width and shoulder width are genetic
>>
>>37012341
Some people have good teeth genetics, some don't.
>>
>>37012304
Is this actually doable? Can I fight smaller animals and slowly fight bigger ones all the way until I can handle a grizzly in a fight?
>>
>>37015392
just learn some fighting style and take a knife with you into the mountains
>>
The pic is mostly true. Just look at heavyweight fighters and guys in the military.
>>
>>37012046

First, you've got to define what "functional strength" means. Both strongman and crossfit functional strength without defining it.

However, we can intuit what it means. Strongmen competitors, manual laborers, farmers, and first responders and military (the latter two being the original target audience for crossfit as marketed to organizational trainers) all share the need to carry asymmetrical or oddly shaped objects, often in planes beyond simply sagittal, on unstable surfaces or when the object is wobbly.

To that end, people who can maintain this ability tend to have thicker midsections even at low body fat due to the anti rotational isometric work of the obliques. They will have larger traps due to the time under tension.

Other than the bit about bodybuilding competitors being dehydrated on comp day, the rest of that picture is broscience.
>>
>>37013710
Now its for autists
>>
>>37015447
>whatcouldgowrong.png
>>
>>37012594
>not sure he existed
of course he fucking didn't
hercules was always a fucking myth
are you also "not sure" whether zeus existed?
>>
>>37012594
>not sure if he existed
bro his name is HERA CLES
he is LITERALLY the son of the goddess HERA
does that help you with your questioning of his existence?
>>
>>37015732
9/10 sophistry would accuse of denying the gods and corrupting the youth of athens
>>
>>37012046
most people prefer the triangle look
>>
>>37012046
It's mostly true. Successful bodybuilders are still very strong, but being 3% bodyfat is useless for strength.
>>
>>37015745
Did it occur to you that it could just be an exaggeration? The myth could be based on a real person who wasn't the son of Zeus. Also he was supposed to be the son of Zeus, not Hera. The other parent was a human.
>>
>>37012304
Kekd
>>
>>37012076
She's actually from /co/ and the poster was a cartooning/character anatomy reference. Not at all intended for fitness.
>>
>>37012490
Sort of true.
Did you see him play conan? He looks uncoordinated as fuark.
In fact all his action scenes are pretty meh, he just has that screen presence
>>
>>37012046
>how can I achieve the functional strength body type?
calisthenics
body weight exercises
dumb bells
kettle bells
exercise ball
wind sprints
hill sprints
DO IT NIGGA
>>
>>37013781
Pudzianowski was always such a beat. Mountain doesn't have a terrible physique either, unlike most of those guys. Still though, even though the image is 80% Pudzianowski still didn't have narrow hips.
>>
This is true. However, you can't be bear mode naturally. You will fall for the dreamer bulk meme and just look like shit. Hence why the leaner powerlifting trend has begun recently.
>>
>>37012046
>arnold was weak
>>
>>37012046
>such a thing as functional strength?
no, not really, there is only strength
My best guess is that with 'functional strength' people imply not having muscle imbalances while being stronger then average

Having lifted for a while all strength is functional, got a key on april first, currently working on house and well if I hadn't lifted shit would've been heavier all-round
>>
>>37018422

His lifts were pretty mediocre for his weight and muscle mass.
>>
>>37012285

You can fight a bear without any training. You'll lose, but you can fight.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.