[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Smashed nail
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (1020 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1020 KB, 3264x2448
Smashed my finger using a hammer. Should I keep lifting after the swelling is down? I font feel pain but rather a decent amount of discomfort. I read it takes 4 months for a new nail to grow but I don't want to wait that long to get back on the gains train. What do?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Bottom side of finger is pretty swollen but not painful at all
>>
In a mechanic and I smashed my nail pretty bad in a car door. Go take a long bath or shower in really hot water to soften the nail. Then, light a candle and take a safety pin and heat the needle until it's glowing red. Then, while its still red, take the needle and quickly set the tip on the affected area of the nail. Just set it there, don't press down with but the slightest force. The goal is to let the needle burn through the nail, not to force it through. With the nail so softened up, it shouldn't take but one or two poke to get it done. It's completely painless, when it burns all the way through the blood will rush out and extinguish the needle, meaning you won't burn yourself, and as long as you aren't pressing down you won't stab yourself. Good luck and have fun OP.
>>
>>36980246
How long after was it before you regained total function for that hand. Even though its not painful to curl my finger when I pick something up thats heavy it feels really uncomfortable after a while. I really don't mind it falling off and growing back weird I just don't want to damage it further and increase the time it would take to heal completely.
>>
>>36980203
you're going to need to gauge how it feels, I had to take about a week and a half off of deadlifts after I slammed my finger in my car door
>>
>>36980276
Even with my finger smashed I was able to hit chest and biceps although I couldnt go as heavy on biceps because it hurt squeezing the dumbell. I figure I'm gonna take the whole weekend off maybe Monday too and just go a bit lighter until the discomfort is gone.
>>
are you man enough to hit your dick with a hammer?
>>
File: received_10201232314047769.jpg (30 KB, 562x960) Image search: [Google]
received_10201232314047769.jpg
30 KB, 562x960
>>36980268
It was a pretty serious smash, it took about a week for the numbness to go away to where I had full function, but it still hurt pretty bad. Had to keep a finger brace on the first week it was so fucked that I had to protect it from bumping into things. Once the numbness goes away if you can take the pain keep lifting. Pic related. May not look awful but the amount of swelling and pressure was tremendous, made that hand useless for a good four days.
>>
>>36980319
Did the back of the nail lift off from the nail bed? Because mine did so I don't know if that would affect the rate of healing.
>>
>>36980308
sounds about right, It only affected my deadlift, but mine was pretty bad, and I even had to punch a hole through the nail to relieve the pressure
>>
>>36980329
Like where the swelling is? Yeah, the blood pushed it away from the nailbed. Do you mean all the way down at the cuticle it lifted up to where I could stick something under the bottom of my nail? No it did not. Just burn a hole it in, drain the fluid and smooth out/press down the nail and down worry about it. More than likely it'll just look like it is growing out like normal for a month or two, then it'll just randomly fall off and have a thin nail under there that will thicken up.
>>
>>36980366
How long before you were able to go back to normal?
>>
>>36980392
after two weeks I was at +90% the last 10% took a few months with the nail growing back
>>
>>36980411
Thats not bad. Guess I'll just go a bit lighter with more reps for the time being. Thanks for the advice everyone!
>>
>>36980434
best advice as always is to feel it out, if it feels good then lift heavy, if it doesn't then back off a bit
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.