[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the FUCK do I get good at running? I keep getting shin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: Grayson_running_the_4x100[1].jpg (102 KB, 509x720) Image search: [Google]
Grayson_running_the_4x100[1].jpg
102 KB, 509x720
How the FUCK do I get good at running?

I keep getting shin splints and I can only run 1 miles before getting tired

This is so much harder than lifting
>>
>>36964936
Learning to run isn't a sprint, it's a marathon so just start of slow
>>
Are you a fat ass? If not then I don't know what to tell you. Just stop being a pussy.
>>
>>36964936
couch to 5k
>>
File: 1461254013983.png (37 KB, 1127x685) Image search: [Google]
1461254013983.png
37 KB, 1127x685
>>36964945
I'm 5'10 170lbs with low bf

>>36964943
I've been running for 6 months....perhaps I'm just not meant to run
>>
>>36964943
look y'all anon got fuckin' jokes

Tell us another fuckin' joke anon
>>
File: 1461717312891.png (33 KB, 1020x426) Image search: [Google]
1461717312891.png
33 KB, 1020x426
Here's what (you) were looking for
>>
>>36964956
Hmm well when I used to run long distance I remember the first mile always being really hard but if you just keep pushing your body starts to get numb at about 2-3 miles and it's easy after that
>>
>>36965051
I have a running test in a month, can I improve in that time?
>>
Depends on what you metabolic rate is. Mine's off the charts, so I started eating as much as I could to get enough energy to run faster. I went (in two months) from 3rd slowest to 3rd fastest in my lacrosse team ~20 guys, all relatively fit.

Just keep running and develop a routine. Make sure you stretch and eat enough so you have energy. Progress doesn't happen overnight.
>>
File: DSC_0053.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0053.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>36964936
runfag here
you're probably running on a pace that is too fast for you.always walk for a couple of kilometers before running as a warmup and gradually increase your pace.then you need to jog while keeping inside your aerobic threshold. if you try to go too fast for your fitness level and your heart increases your body wont be able to keep up with the lactic acid produced and your muscles will fail as they do now.
tldr walk 2km,jog for 1.5k and then walk some more.then run a couple of 200m sprints and STRETCH. rest for one day and repeat.add 200-300m everytime you run until you reach 5k.
if you have asthma,talk to a doctor,he can prescribe salbutamol or whatever you need.
>>
>>36965354
you like to run
>>
>>36965408
i hated it at first,but after you stop feeling leg doms,shin splints and side stitches (approx 1 month after starting to run) it becomes much much much easier and sometimes enjoyable.you can feel your legs light as feathers afterwards.
>>
>>36965426
Best way to train for a 1.5 mile timed run?
>>
>>36965453
train 3 days a week (eg monday wednesday friday)
and have a day of strength training for your core and legs (eg saturday)
on monday you run for 2 miles on a slightly lower pace than you would if you ran for 1.5 miles.
on wednesday you run for 1 mile and then you run 2-4 400m and 2-4 200m sprints.
on friday you do the same routine as monday. on saturday you do core and leg strength training (squats,lunges,planks,crunches,hyperextensions,etc)
always sleep for at least 8 hours each night,have a good high carb meal 2-3 hours before u run (depending on your rate of digestion so your stomach gets almost empty as you begin your warmup),and avoid too much sugar so your insulin levels stay steady and you dont feel dizzy half way into your training.
good luck friend
>>
>>36965511
Sounds good

Will do this cheers
>>
Yeah man running gives me shin splits, achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis. Pretty much breaks me for atleast 3 days. I used to run more regularly buy the more I run the more it wears me down so I only do it now when I have to.

Shit biomechanics. 23 and I can already feel my joints breaking down.
>>
>>36965549
is your bodyfat over 15%?
sounds to me your muscles are not conditioned for running or you wear shoes that are not meant for your running style.
>>
>>36964936
college sprinter here.
shin splints can be prevented by strengthening the anterior tibialis (muscle on front of shin) through regular toe taps. 4-5 times a day, 4 sets of 30 seconds each side at max reps, height, and speed.
this prevents the calf muscle from overpowering the AT and causing the muscle to tear away from the bone
>>
>>36965069
Yes a month is definitely enough time to prepare for a 5k, or even a 10k if you really push yourself
>>
>>36964936
>>36964936
Get your feet checked. I got really bad shin splints (and knee pain) until I found out I had really flat feet and had orthotics for my shoes
>>
>>36965562
Nope, I am tiny grill. I mean I guess as a girl it could be since we have higher body fat, but I'm definitely not fat in any way. >>36965642
Might just be flat feet. I was told only a couple years ago I have them but they're not completely flat.

Pretty much I just shit physical health genetics. No matter how much I work out I will begin to break down physically.
>>
Ran 1500 metres and did it in 6:55. How can i get faster brahs? I know i can do slightly better, but im not sure if i can do it under 6 mins.
>>
>>36964936
FORM
PACE
AMOUNT
All that matters.

Get good form, run at 180 strides per minute, and don't overdo it in distance

Also do foam rolling.

Once you have those down to HIIT or Hill Repeats for speed and just run lots
>>
>>36965232
How does one measure this?
>>
>>36964943

if i wanted humor i'd ask you what your 1 mile PR was
>>
>>36965729
>GUYS DID I MENTION IM A GIRL

you know that has literally nothing to do with it but you whores are for some reason compelled to tell us, get the fuck out of here
>>
I like running more than lifting.
>>
You fucking bet it is. It's way harder. Anyone can lift but not everyone can run. Fact.
>>
Just run until you vomit and physically cannot go anymore. Then do it again the next day/whenever your legs stop burning. Every time you run you should start to get a little farther.
>>
File: fit guide to running.jpg (381 KB, 836x1911) Image search: [Google]
fit guide to running.jpg
381 KB, 836x1911
>>
File: 1440075487762.jpg (2 MB, 4268x3100) Image search: [Google]
1440075487762.jpg
2 MB, 4268x3100
>>36965941
>>
>>36965830
Girls have different pelvic structure and are just not as well suited to run so it can actually have alot to do with it.

Calm down guy, I know girls don't ever give you attention but they do exist in the real world.
>>
>>36965962
Pretty cool mang. Do you have any guide for improving 1 kilometer runs? thx
>>
>>36965978
t. whore
>>
There is no getting good at running its the same league as basketball. If your tall you will dominate due to leverage.
>>
>>36966074
That's just retarded, I'm a turbo manlet with flat feet and well on my way to 5k in just 3 weeks of running 4 times a week. Like I believe some of the shit you guys talk about when it comes to height but no, not this one.
>>
What's your running stride? Do you over or under pronate? How is your foot striking the ground? What about your shoes? Are your shoes too tight? Are you going too fast for your level of aerobic fitness? Are you doing squats, calf raises, and deadlifts?

Running is actually easier than lifting. People are just afraid of "muh out of breath" because it's so easy that it's also very easy to overdo.
>>
>>36965828
4:34 bitch
>>
>>36964936
i fucking hate running because i overexerted myself every time i did, because im competitive as shit. but now i just avoid that shit at all costs, i dont like feeling like im about to pass out every time i train god. Cardio sports are fucking bullshit man, i gotta find a basketball team or some shit
>>
When I ran in the streets I had a long course I would take. I would mark in my head everwhere that I had to stop and take a break while walking, and the next time I went I would always go a little bit further before I took my walking breaks. Eventually, I connected all of them and ran the entire course.
>>
>>36965601
not op but ive had horrible shin splints for years and im gonna go AT exercises and see what happens. thx
>>
>>36965978
WHORE GET YE GONE
>>
Say I am CRAZY fucking out of shape(6'4" 270 pounds 1 minute jog leaves me really winded) does walking ever actually increase your cardiovascular health or no?
>>
I started running/walking 1 mile on Sunday night and did so again on Monday....my left knee was a little sore so /fit told me not to run again on Tuesday. I felt fine on Wednesday and ran again and now today my knee is a little sore again so I will talk tonight then run again tomorrow on Friday.

With my chest and breathing I feel like can keep going but my lower legs just get really tired. I usually just cool it down to a walk, but from Sunday to last night, I was able to go a little bit further. I'd like to be able to do it everyday because I feel like walking is a waste of time. Just don't want to push it with the slight knee pain.

I am 5'11'' and weight 145....always feel like i'm stomping into the ground too...Last night I tried making my landings a little softer.
>>
>>36967053
>does walking ever actually increase your cardiovascular health or no?
it does but you should also look up swimming or cycling.
>>
>>36965051
>>36964936
I have found this to be true too. First mile feels like shit, and I don't know how I can keep going, then it just feels like nothing. Maybe you just got push through that wall. That or your endurance is not good enough yet, and you should do a beginner running program
>>
>>36967614
I would add that cycling can be more taxing than walking and is worse if you're riding through intersections where you'll have to stop. If you can find a dedicated, fairly level bike trail or track then go for it. Cycling puts me in a great state of mind and I'm more willing to put in extra time and effort because it doesn't seem like work.

Otherwise, swimming is god tier and if done correctly can be an excellent full body workout
>>
>>36967053
Yes

literally all that matters is TIME and HEART RATE

your pace is irrelevant as long as you do it for a set amount of time (like 30 minutes 3 to 5 times a week) and your heart rate is up. Do NOT stop middle of it, do NOT take breaks; constant high heart rate for a set amount of time. Your speed, your distance, all of that is irrelevant
>>
>>36967060
Stretch after warming up. If you can squat atg do that, it'll give your shins and knees a great stretch. As long as your shoes have a decent differential between toe and heel you shouldn't be landing flat footed unless your developing shin splints or walking too fast or with too long a gait. Try walking faster with a shorter stride and see if that helps
>>
>>36967737
*you're
>>
>>36967060
lmao, if your knee hurts, you need to stop running for 3 weeks nigguh, it needs to stop hurting completely. Why are you running, just do biking, no impact no pain
>>
Put one leg in front of the other in quick succession.
>>
>>36967723

What should I push for? I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia(resting heart rate sits at just around 100 or so constantly, 90 when sleeping) so what should I be aiming for to keep it at?
>>
>>36967810
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp

This is a guideline for (relatively) healthy people so maybe ask your doctor. But break a sweat, walk fast enough so you're out of breath, and try to do it for thirty minutes without stopping
>>
>>36967810
Mate I'm not a doctor, I don't know what kind of differences someone with a heart condition has and I advice you to not trust others from 4chan about that either. I can give general running advice that applies to majority of people, but you have an actual condition and should really seek some more credible and refined info that takes it fully into account
>>
>>36965601
thank you for actually reading the original post. also have bad shin splints, will try the toe tap thing.
>>
>>36964943
sprinting is a running event you retard.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.