[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does this stuff work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6
File: whey-protein-powder-bon-007-1z.jpg (223 KB, 1095x1600) Image search: [Google]
whey-protein-powder-bon-007-1z.jpg
223 KB, 1095x1600
My biology professor said that protein powder products are a marketing scam and don't actually work, is he wrong?
>>
Yes, they work.
>>
>>36964183
what exactly did he say about them?

why does he think theyre a scam?
>>
It's just protein why the fuck would it not work? It isn't fucking anavar if that's what you're asking.
>>
idk does protein work? i dont think anyone knows sorry op

i think protein is a myth tho, all broscience. all u need are carbs and fat to make gains.
>>
Its not so much a scam as it is expensive ads form of protein. It's good for people who have trouble getting in protein from other sources so you can just eat quick protein mix and go about your day.
>>
Is he a scrawny piece of shit?
>>
>>36964294
No he's pretty fat and in his sixties.
>>
>>36964243

also protein in milkshake form hell yes motherfucker

it's like being able to consume something terrible for you in excess when it's actually good for you
>>
>>36964326
Then he's in no position to tell you about protein powders or anything related to nutrition.
>>
>>36964183
microbiologist here. don't let that hobo goblin steal your gains, the only scam here it's that is expensive but it fucking works like a charm.
>>
>>36964183
I checked my protein intake on MFP. I was down 30g. So I could have supplemented with 1 shake. However on normal days, I fill it with meat easily.
>>
>>36964183
No it's not a fucking scam but there's really not much of a difference between brands either so if you don't get the best dollar / serving protein you can find you're just throwing money away.

It's always a good idea to get as much protein from food as possible but powders are great for after a workout or before bed (especially before bed as it supports protein synthesis (you grow while you sleep).

How tall is your professor?
>>
>>36964383

>expensive

practically the cheapest form of protein available.
>>
>>36964183
>My biology professor said that protein powder products are a marketing scam and don't actually work, is he wrong?
Your professor is a fucking retard.

http://examine.com/supplements/Whey+Protein/
>>
>>36964414
What the fuck kind of inane comment is this?
>>
>>36964465
just saying how over rated protein shakes are.
>>
>>36964449
no it isn't. you can eat 2 complete canned tuna servings at 100 cal each and get the same protein value from 2 servings of gold standard whey.
>>
>>36964520
> wanting mercury poisoning
>>
>>36964476
But you needed it to reach your goal...
>>
>>36964520
My protein powder gives me the same protein to money ratio as the cheapest tuna on the marked, and no mercury. Also, it's tastier.
>>
>>36964587
so .93 cents per 26 protein?
>>
>>36964327
why do you have to be fit to know how the body metabolizes/digests things? I'm not saying he's right but that your logic is wrong.
>>
It's a scam in that the average guy who lifts 3x a week, maybe does some cardio, absolutely does not need to supplement their diet with protein powder. Athletes yes, but look at how many casual normies walk around the gym sipping on protein following a half-baked workout. That's the scam.
>>
>>36964651
you could Probably get it cheaper than that. idk if GNC stil does it but they used to sell their near expiration stuff really fcking cheap. also groupon is an awesome source. sometimes you can get 5lb containers with 30g/scoop for like 20 bucks
>>
>>36964587
You're getting jewed my friend, I get 63 protons per € (myprotein).
even fishing the tuna myself wouldn't be as cheap.
Not even shilling.
>>
>>36964723
I like it for cutting. I can get protein in my system without all the extra calories from fat and carbs. <200 calories for like 25g of protein. plus it's like a treat cause it tastes good.
>>
>>36964651
Around a quarter of that actually
>>
How many grams of protein do you need a day?
>>
>>36964785
Swole guys say 2g per kg of lean body mass
DYEL nerds say 0.8

Your choice.
>>
>>36964326
Typical baby-boomer-know-nothing-know it all.

You are wasting your time arguing with him. You will NEVER win.

Their simple minded beliefes and old wives tales hearsay bullshit is so ingrained into their thought even if you produced all the evidence supporting your claim the best you are going to get is a 'I don't feel like discussing this anymore' or some other cop out.

I think it's because they grew up in a time where information wasn't as easily accessible as it is today I.e Internet and their only knowledge is from out dated text books and their parents. This is one reason why this religion fad is on its way out.
>>
>>36964651
Your tuna is ~.0357 cents per proton
I got my powder from bulk supplements for ~.02 cents per proton, and it doesn't taste like ass, and it's free of mercury.
>>
>>36964476
That's literally not what you did, you literally indicated otherwise. And OPs question was literally not regarding if protein powder is overrated. And by literally, I mean literally.
>>
>>36964806
who would've thought eating more calories leads to significantly more mass!
>>
>>36964520
>1 can of tuna = 2 scoops whey
>1 can of tuna = $1.50
>2 scoops of whey = $1.80

Holy shit, the savings!

Sorry, the fact I can make and drink a shake in 30 seconds far outweighs the extra 10 bucks I spend a month.
>>
>>36964785
if we follow what everyonesay, its 1g of protein per lbs.
2g per kilo (or 2.2 if you're so picky).

i'm not sure if its per lean masse or just by your global weight tho.
>>
so should I be consuming 1g protein per lb of bodyweight every day? or just on day I work out?

> inb4 brosplit hurr
>>
>>36964917
No. Everyday.

You don't build muscle during your lift. You build it while you rest.

It's even more important to hit your macros on days you aren't lifting. When a muscle is at rest it needs protein to rebuild.
>>
>>36964183
It's works, but it depends on the quality of the powder since the low quality stuff would say it would give 25g of protein when really you would get 15g. There is a report of some testing done to a bunch of brands to determine the quality of the powder, but I don't remember the source. Usually you want to get all of your macros from food since you would get the macros that the nutrition facts says.
>>
Pricewise should I stick with myprotein or try out bulkpowders or possibly theproteinworks?
>>
File: consider.jpg (7 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
consider.jpg
7 KB, 259x195
>>36965006
Bulkpowders claims grass-fed, which is supposed to be better (and more ethical)
They also sponsor a qt /n/igger
>>
>>36964183
Its not that it "doesnt work" its that unless youre a vegan or starving you dont really have to supplement protein. The average fuck only needs 0.6-0.8g per lb bodyweight, lifters should aim for 0.8-1.0g. Its piss fucking easy to hit those numbers for most people without supplements.

Furthermore, after a certain point your body will straight up convert extra protein into carbohydrates through gluconeogenesis. So you can buy protein powder if you want, but if you can just get your protein through food and the extra protein you eat gets turned into carbs anyway, whats the point?
>>
200g of protein a day seems unreasonable. 1g/1lb seems like an arbitrary bro number.
>>
File: joo.gif (11 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
joo.gif
11 KB, 501x585
Yes goy, buy the supplements goy!
>>
>>36964415
Asking the right questions.
>>
>>36964449
that's eggs breh
>>
>>36964183
what are you using them for?

if you're just mixing protein in water or milk and drinking it thinking you're gonna lose weight or some dumb shit like my room mate does, you're an idiot.

if you're using it to SUPPLEMENT protein intake to get the proper amount your diet is calling for, then yes, it's doing exactly what you need it to.
>>
>>36964183
Genetics PhD here

It works; amino acids are amino acids are amino acids. However, they don't "work" if

A. you think whey is all you need to be "fucking jacked brah"
B. you think whey will have the same effect as steroids, and/or
C. you think eating more than 0.8g/kg body weight will get you better results
>>
Anyone else get an itch on their asshole when they started taking whey protein?
>>
>>36964183
you're professor a shit.
>>
File: birdofgains.jpg (145 KB, 726x527) Image search: [Google]
birdofgains.jpg
145 KB, 726x527
>>36964769
You kidding me right?
>>
Yes they work just as good as steroids Goy! I can send you some for 100 shekels, please make checks payable to Goyimstein Sheckelberg.
>>
>>36964383
What does being a fucking microbiologist have anything to do with whey

Im a dietitian. Whey is helpful but ultimately unnecessary and overrated if you can reach protonz goal without it.
Whey increases igf 1 and other good stuff more than other proteins.
Good for growth, horrible for aging and longevity
>>
Yeah but it builds ineffective muscle, food is better
>>
>>36966805
Lmao,get the fuck out of here with that broscience.
>>
>>36964785
Protein synthesis peaks anyway from 1.2 to 1.7g/kg of body mass in strength atheletes.

Maybe go a little higher on a cut to spare lean body mass

>>36964827
>who would've thought eating more calories leads to significantly more mass!

Eating more calories from fat and carbs is not gonna give you the same results as eating more protein
>>
>>36964827
More mass? Maybe. More muscle? You will need some protein for that,lest you turn a fatty
>>
>>36965313
>if you're just mixing protein in water or milk and drinking it thinking you're gonna lose weight or some dumb shit like my room mate does, you're an idiot.

But that does help you lose weight...
>>
It's milk. Does milk "work"? Yes.
>>
>>36965966
how does that chicken only have 1 gram of fat. most chicken breast is 80/20.
>>
it works, but sleep is more important, if you aint sleeping and waking up before the alarm clock goes off you missing out on gains
>>
>>36964183
Its only a scam if they cheat you on the protein in the bottle.

Ill admit most supplements are scams but protein is just protein
>>
My bio professor had a PhD in nutrition and told me athletes only need 30g of protein a day.
>>
It's just protein Dude, it's good for you, shit loads of protein for your body, something that when you eat shitty foods, this will help replenish what you don't get everyday.

Anon
>>
>>36964243
>expensive
The protein in OP's pic is about $60 on Amazon. It now claims to be 74 servings and 24 grams per serving. That's around 30 grams of protein per dollar. That is not expensive.
>>
>>36964183
short answer: He is right.
>>
>>36968722
That is unless you consider the fact that he's not right.
>>
>>36968647
You can find PhDs in nutrition that believe damn near anything about anything. It's basically a cargo cult science. Also, you don't have to have a PhD in squat to know that the nutritional needs of different types of athletes are going to be different, so such a simplistic statement should be a big red flag.
>>
Nah, bro, totally works. Your biology professor is lying. He just doesn't want you to bulk up because then he'll feel like his authority is in jeopardy. As a teacher. it's very important to maintain the alpha male status (for obvious procreation purposes) and your bulging body will compromise this.
>>
YES, he's right.

If you are eating big portions of MEAT, EGGS or DAIRY with every meal then you are most likely getting all the PROTEIN you need. If people do attribute their GAINS to PROTEIN POWDERS then it is just the extra calories that are working, which could be found in much cheaper and more nutritional sources such as OATS and FRUIT.

Seriously, it's all about the MEAT, EGGS and DAIRY.
>>
>>36968769
I mean yea, getting a PhD doesn't make you smart, it just means you took a bunch of classes. Academia is a joke, and peer review is killing science
>>
>>36964785
Based on my literature review of bodybuilding.com forum flame wars, /fit/, and the academic literature I can confirm that the official scientific consensus is:
Somewhere between 0.6 g/kg and 3.3g/kg
>>
>>36968834
>Academia is a joke, and peer review is killing science
That's an extremely ignorant thing to say. I can't tell if you legitimately think that or if you're being sarcastic out of resentment for the implication that some "sciences" aren't really sciences. Either way, you do not know what you're talking about.
>>
>>36964810
M8 that's a huge rant for something based entirely on assumption. You should post it on Reddit.
>>
>>36967128
>eating more calories helps you lose weight
shut up, mom
>>
>>36968834
Are you being ironic? A PhD isn't obtained by taking classes, but by doing original research.
>>
On a side note what does creatine actually do? (genuinley wondering)
>>
>>36968986
You need ATP to move your muscles. Creatine is required for the reaction that creates ATP in your body. f you supplement creatine you increase the availability of ATP to your muscles. You'll be able to squeeze out a couple extra reps each set.
>>
>>36964243
whey protein is almost the same price as chicken breast per gram

it's about as cheap as it gets
>>
If youre retarded enough to believe all that shit about COMPLEX bullshit, then yes its a scam

if you buy the cheapest shit on sale so you can reach your daily portein intake, then its not a scam

MUSCLES are PROTEIN, you need PROTEIN to get more MUSCLES

have you even at least read the sticky?

WHEY is a supplement to your daily intake and is actually the cheapest source you can find for protein, so you dont have to eat so much chicken or get mercury poisoning
>>
>>36964183
Its kind of a scam just because all the bros already get more than enough protein in their diets, but continue to buy protein as if its going to make you exponentially buffer.
Personally I've never used protein because I know how much protein I already eat in a day is more than sufficient.
>>
>>36971308
how much do you eat
>>
>>36971328
Like 50g a day, I weigh 180 lb.
I like meat
>>
>>36964183
>Mixing milk protein with water is a scam you can't absorb the protein.
>Drinking milk protein in milk is fine, you can absorb it (milk is predominantly water).
It depends, if he meant just drinking protein wont make you huge he has a point, if he meant you can't absorb the protein then he is talking shit.
>>
>>36971308
It depends on the amino acids you take in and the metabolic rate at which your body reegulates atp.

Isnt this shit in the sticky.....
>>
>>36964243
When you buy in bulk it's pretty much one of the cheapest sources of protein.
>>
>>36971387
>implying i haven't read the sticky
You asked a question and I answered it directly
>>
>>36964232
I'm not a doctor but this sounds right
>>
Does it make sense to buy more expensive milk from the farmers market, considered i drink roughly 1l/day?
It shoulf be cleaner since the cows aren't on a diet of hgh and antibiotics
>>
File: image.jpg (271 KB, 1600x1208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
271 KB, 1600x1208
>>36964183

Exercise Science guy here. He is wrong, pic related. It graphically shows how good the research is for common supps and their claimed effects.

It can be expensive, but I just buy unflavored in bulk. Cheap as.
>>
File: 1436833414973.jpg (740 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1436833414973.jpg
740 KB, 1024x768
Real quick anyone, I'm crazy lactose intolerant whats a good lactose free protein powder that wont cramp my shit up?
>>
>>36965602

Not really m8. The 0.8 might be ok for the general population, there is much research on protein consumption showing that 1.2-2g/kg/day will have improved benefits depending on athlete type.

Check out the AUS Institute of Soort page on protein as a starting point.
>>
>>36971447

The process in getting the whey removes much of the lactose (about 90- 99% is removed).

Are you mixing it with normal milk? Try a "lactose free" milk or take lactese tablets
>>
>>36971445
don't believe this shitty pic, most of it is bullshit
>>
Now to talk about something that could be a scam. MyProtein is having a sale, so i figured I would buy a preworkout along with some protein.

I've heard conflicting things about preworkouts and whether or not they are any better than just having some coffee or a caffeine pill.

What does /fit/ think about preworkout shakes and do you have any recommended types if you think they work?
>>
>>36971530

Keep on taking that tribulus brah.

Eat a good balanced diet with a variety of foods and it's true. You don't need all those micronutrients and other stuff as supplements m8.
Inb4... But that swoll guy in the gym takes them, so I should too.
>>
>>36968834
>peer review is killing science
kek'd
ty for the giggle m8e
>>
>>36971343
m8 that's less than 4 eggs...
>>
>>36964243
>expensive
>I got two 900g proteins for £40
Nahh
>>
>>36966250
What does being a dietician have to do with it? Pilot here, whey.......
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.