[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/ I was squatting today and only my last rep I felt a pop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: a38aa30c_TOTAL-RECALL-KUATO.jpg (48 KB, 712x408) Image search: [Google]
a38aa30c_TOTAL-RECALL-KUATO.jpg
48 KB, 712x408
/fit/ I was squatting today and only my last rep I felt a pop and my lower back and right leg started hurting like crazy. It hurt to walk out of the gym.

I think I gave myself a herniated disc. How badly did I fuck up and what do I do now?
>>
Help me. I'm supposed to have secks tonight
>>
go to the hospital dude
>>
>>36953848
Is it necessary for this kind of thing? I'm doing better now but it still hurts to walk or bend over. I was gonna wait until at least tomorrow, if I wake up in a fuckload of pain then I'll go.

>tfw shitty american healthcare
>>
>>36953731

That's what happens when you don't brace your core retard. You can have sex tonight, it'll probably be uncomfortable but go to the ER within the next 24 hours.
>>
>>36953876
Does a belt prevent this from happening or did I fuck up my form? Is the ER really necessary? I have a feeling they'll just tell me to rest and put some ice on it and maybe take some OTC painkillers. That seems to be how doctors do things now days... charge me for shit I can look up on google in 5min.
>>
>>36953924

If they actually find a herniated disc they'll prescribe you stuff like Vicodin and cyclobuterol, stuff you can't get OTC. They'll probably take x-rays or an MRI. I know from experience. A belt won't change a thing if you can't properly brace your core.

The best thing to do is to avoid putting any load where you need to use your lower back (deadlifts/squats) for a couple of weeks. Oncce it starts to feel better, resume light squats and deadlifts and make sure you brace with your core and maintain proper form.
>>
>>36953924
You might need surgery and since you're a retard you'll need a doctor to tell you to do hypers and RDLs. Belt wont save you from your form, now go sit in the snap city corner with supermang and book your appointment.
>>
>>36953982
It sucks I was really trying to pay attention to proper form. I guess it's just hard to keep when I'm struggling for the weight. How do you keep form while trying to improve lifts? It seems like I can't improve my lifts if I don't struggle but I also fuck myself up if I struggle.

What should I pay attention to in order to brace my core properly?

I don't think I need prescription pain meds, the pain has subsided a bit in the past hour. It could be adrenaline though because I am sweating like crazy.

thanks for the help
>>
>>36954031

To follow proper form while improving lifts, follow a set of mental queues during the setup and lift that work for you. These will help engage crucial muscles, will help you keep proper form, and help you move more weight. I can't list all of them for you, but watch a few videos. Alan Thrall has a bunch of very good videos for different mental queues.

https://youtu.be/PJX1CyjbMic

Here's a good video in how to brace your core.
>>
yep, you did, and its permanent, and you have to live with it.

I have two and arthritis of the spine. here's what you do:

doctor. imaging. pain pills. they will tell you how bad it is, but except in the most extreme cases, REFUSE SURGERY. they will want to fuse your spine and that's the end of your lifting.

learn how to let it heal up. you need to be relaxed and stationary and IN THE RIGHT POSITION for as long as necessary to let the nerves slip back into position and the disc repair itself as best it can. this may be lying flat on the floor, maybe sitting up in bed, maybe reclined, maybe on your side- you'll know because it the pain will subside pretty fast.

when it's fully gone, you need to strengthen you spinatus and tranverse abdominals in specific and core in general like a motherfucker. This is your rehab. you will be doing half reps and weird shit with lightweight, get over it. afterward, you need to be EXACT with form, you have NO MARGIN for error

I couldn't walk normally for 3 years but I haven't had a relapse in over 5 years at this point. I don't set records on deads, but i can do them, and i have full range of motion, but it's always my first concern.

welcome to snap city, you bought it, you get you learn to love it
>>
>>36954092

thx dude
>>
>>36954222
I am in your case My back never hurts or anything. It just doesn't feel "right" anymore. I can do squats, deadlifts etc. I can even do standing ab wheels. I could not do them before the injury,
>>
>>36954222

brutal.
>>
>>36954031
ProTip: Don't train with weights you can't lift.

It sucks to say, but the best way to avoid injury is to warm up properly and use weights you can lift for every work set. You shouldn't be tossing the weight around, but you shouldn't be struggling and grimacing just to get the weight up.
>>
>>36955352
really? I kinda figured you need to in order to get more weight up. Guess I'll take it easier from now on and just do more reps if I can
>>
File: repface.jpg (82 KB, 1275x891) Image search: [Google]
repface.jpg
82 KB, 1275x891
>>36955352
>grimacing

Can't compute, my face goes absolutely crazy on my hard reps.

The weight should be hard as fuck but ever ever try progress at the cost of form, as you OP found out. If no progress can be made that way, you need to reevaluate your routine, nutrition etc so you can find a way to progress.
>>
>>36955853
>never ever*. This anon is tired.
>>
>>36953731
Lots of good advice so far which I won't repeat. Prepare to spend a lot of time in pain, with mobility problems, having difficulty sleeping, learning which NSAID to take long term and wondering when the ordeal will end.

If you didn't do too much damage, then the worst will end slowly after several weeks and you can and should get back to lifting, starting with much lighter weights.

Since my trip to Snap City, I still have symptoms from my sciatic nerve - mostly numbness and tightness - but I have set a new deadlift maximum and my squats are almost back to pre-injury weight.

Staying strong is the best thing you can do for your back in the long term, so recover and get back under the bar to lift with excellent form.
>>
>>36953731
Just don't squat over 2 plates and you'll be fine, seriously, big legs aren't that pretty once you wear pants/jeans.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.