[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
machine plates increments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
My condo gym has exclusively machines. Practically no free weights. And most machines have 15lb plate increments. I'm new at this (31 y/o, 175lb, 25% BF, muscle atrophy due to lazy sedentary lifestile), and when doing something like bench press fro example, I can do either less than 4reps per set at 150lb, or 10+ reps at 135. Which ones should I do? When doing 10+, I feels more like cardio, but with 4reps, I don't feel like I'm getting a workout done. And at what point do I move to next increment?
>>
A 5 or 10 lbs dumbbell can be saddled on top of the weight stack to achieve intermediate weights.
>>
>>36949303
Thanks! I'll do that.
>>
>>36949247
Try for 3x8-12, this is widely considered to be optimal. While machines are certainly not as good as free weights, it's not as big of a factor as elitists think
>>
>>36949247
Some machines have either a knob that can do 5-10 lb adjustments, or there's a small, flat plate or two that can be put on top of the stack for small increments.
>>
Most machines usually have some sort of mechanism on the weight stack to add an incremental amount of weight that's separate from the plates.
>>
>>36949327
Yeah bro, everyone knows you get real big and strong on machines. Just look at the people who exclusively use them. Planet Fitness is packed with strong people.
>>
>>36949327
>While machines are certainly not as good as free weights, it's not as big of a factor as elitists think
That's bullshit, and you know it. There's a monumental difference. My 1 rep max on the bench is 210, but if I sit at a machine bench instead, I can do 315 for reps. Having to use your stabilizers is HUGE, and it definitely fucking matters.
>>
>>36949303
Plates can also be hung onto the thing you stick through the weights. That's how I increase machines to my 8 rep max. They usually don't have the weight which fits me exactly, fucking machines suck.
>>
What's wrong with an all-machine based workout for aesthetics? Can some one fill me in? So long as you follow progressive overload and eat at a deficit or surplus what's the issue?
>>
The biggest effect of doing compounds as opposed to isolation, machine or otherwise, is the CNS adaptation.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.