[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Swimming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 124124124124.jpg (55 KB, 450x297) Image search: [Google]
124124124124.jpg
55 KB, 450x297
Aight /fit/ I'm an active swimmer who's been swimming a couple of years now due to a bad knee. Been looking into going to a gym for a while now. Any of you been swimming on the side or swapped from /to swimming?
Does it work well together? Not trying to achieve anything besides good health and probably adding some mass (skinny fucker).

Stories? Advice? Can you replace running with swimming when you lift?
>>
>>36941139

I Swim for a USA Swimming team and go to the gym after 4-5 times a week, and I highly recommend it. While I've always been in good shape thanks to Swimming, the gym is whats going to give you the muscle growth that you want. Swimming is still godtier cardio though.
>>
>>36941883
Hold on, you go to the gym 4-5 times a week or you go once after swimming 4-5 times?
>>
>>36941139
I went the opposite away, lifted weights for years and then incorperated swimming. My schedule is:

M: Weights
T: Swim
W: Weights
T: Swim
F: Weights
S: Swim
S: Rest

If you are starting out, you can do something like StrongLifts M/W/F. Then Texas Method once you complete SL. Currently I do upper/lower/upper M/W/F. I also have a knee problem but haven't had issues like this. Just make sure you are eating enough to gain weight if that is your goal.
>>
Swimming/lifting gives you the best kind of body - ascended ottermode

Be sure to put more emphasis on lifting, something like 60/40.

>t. 7 years lifting/4 years swimming
>>
where do i go to learn how to swim properly, what is a good stroke routine? do i just butterfly for 10, backstroke for 10, breaststroke for 10? do i need more than 30 mins? is this more akin to cycling, ala needing 1.5hrs? do i need a large pool?
>>
File: 02-spongebob-serving-up-smiles.png (317 KB, 620x500) Image search: [Google]
02-spongebob-serving-up-smiles.png
317 KB, 620x500
quick question
i'm currently cutting
6'0, down to 176lbs from 211
i still need to lose about 11lbs i think
i'm doing the c25k program right now every other day between going to the gym and i'm not sure if i can add swimming to my routine.

would that be too much cardio ? especially considering getting enough rest
>>
File: 1437484205697.png (95 KB, 451x482) Image search: [Google]
1437484205697.png
95 KB, 451x482
How do you swim and lift at the same time ?
I had to drop lifting cause my shoulders just can't recover from swimming 3/4 times a week + fullbody 2 times a week.
Maybe I should start again with light weights I don't know
>>
>tried to get back into swimming
>used to be second in class in high school, only one above me was a guy who swam competitively n trained near daily
>could hold breathe for 2 mins and do several lengths at full speed
>first session was literally the most demoralising thing I've done for years
>one length felt like I was near death and it was slow as hell

Swimming is hardcore as fuck. Haven't been back since my third session a year ago. Thinking of joining a class but I imagine it'll be full of fat old women.
>>
I started swimming at my 24 like 2 days ago. I wear a shirt cuz I'm a fatass, but man is it the most satisfying form of cardio. I don't feel it until I'm actually out, compared to 30 mins on the stair master where I want to die at like 20.

Only shitty part is basically being the dude that wears a shirt. But I figure who the fuck cares, after about a week people will get used to me and not give a shit anymore.

Any fatties on the fence about it, I'd consider it for sure, it's fucking great.
>>
i always wanted to get into swimming .
how did you started ?
how do i start , must i tell them for some training ?
ivé seen guys swimming like pro's .
>>
>>36945274
>I had to drop lifting cause my shoulders just can't recover from swimming 3/4 times a week +
then you are swimming wrong. You are over rotating your torso and using your shoulders too much.
>>
>>36945455
If I just swim it's fine, but if I add bench press and ohp it's just too much. I'm going to a decent pace with like 16 ~ 17 strokes per length (25m), my technique can't be that bad right ?
>>
>>36945388
Lose the shirt, no one cares.
>>
>>36941139
Swimming is the reason why today I had an additional rest day, your arms get strained so much by this stuff, its kinda eery that when you first start, and then get a proper form. You can feel a similar strain limit to the movements that you make, as you would with enough reps with dumbbells. Though I am not even sure which muscle groups a crawl uses. A shame really, you can run without straining your weight lifting muscles and plan it in neatly. Not so much with swimming.
>>
>>36943241
oh boy you got a lot to learn.

Butterfly is very difficult if you dont know how to do it, and the other three are very inefficient if you dont.

get some proper lessons if you have never done it before. if you can do as much fly as you can everything else i'd be very impressed
>>
>>36945358
how do i hold my breath for 2 minutes?
>>
>>36946215
Just try to hold your breath longer your body is going to get used to it, 2min is pretty easy.
>>
>>36945388
There's at least 4 or 5 fatties where I swim, I don't give a shit. Lose the shirt bud, you'll be fine
>>
>>36945388

If people actually care about you being a fatass, wearing a shirt isn't gonna change anything.

Hell, it might simply seem worse, because you're trying to hide it but its obviously not working, its annoying and inconvenient.

Just lose the shirt, keep at it and lose the weight.
>>
D1 Swimmer here, you'll get thick solid tight abs in no time if you're training enough
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.