[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Training for rowing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 636x358
Sup /fit/, what can I do to train for rowing? I want to join my school's rowing team in August, and I'm wondering what I should practice to qualify

I'm not a manlet by the way
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 600x600
Bumpo
>>
>>36920279
hello orungutano
>>
>>36920194
Do fucking rows? Are you serious?
>>
>>36920194
do rows
work on your back and quads
>>
>>36920279
hello orangatungo
>>
>>36920194
Beyond the obvious quads, working on flexibility, core strength, and endurance will be very important. A lot of rowing teams do longer races (ie 5k and 6k) in the fall which can be extremely demanding on the lungs.
>>
>>36920279
Hello orangutano
>>
Dont actually do rows. Rowing is all about lower body and core strength to maintain your balance. I'd suggest squats, deadlifts and some supplementary core stability. Also do yourself a favor and do some cardio so you dont throw up the first few times you get put on a erg to do a 5k
>>
Rowing machine and build back and shoulders

Aka fucking row
>>
>>36920279
hello orungutano
>>
Those telling OP to work on his upper body obviously haven't rowed before. The power does not come from your back. It comes from those long, lanky ass legs all rowers have.
>>
>>36920194
Suh dude
I row for my Uni.

You should learn how to erg (rowing machine) properly. Watch youtube videos of people doing it (not fucking cross shitters, actual rowers)
To get good we do a thing called Steady State rowing. It's long distance but low stroke rating so it strenghtens our bodies and cardio.

Steady State is typically 30 to 60 minutes of rowing at a 18-22 stroke rating. I would recommend your heart rate to be around 160 bpm

Rowing is like 75% legs, 20% back, and 5% arms or so

Squats and deadlifts are bae for weight training. Definitely need a strong core. Bent over rows definitely help too
>>
Since I don't know about your your starting point/age I'll go with some basic pointers for training.

Firstly, and most importantly, you will have to learn to love the erg (concept2 rowing machine). It will never love you back and you will spend countless sessions giving your all to this machine. You will have nightmares about the pain it will inflict on you, but at the end of the day your time rowing will be decided by whether you learn to push yourself to the very limit of your endurance, further than you thought possible.

Since you are starting in August, you will have Head season ahead of you during winter. This means long-distance time-trial races (15-20 minutes). Your basic erg exercises will be 20 minutes pieces and 5km pieces. If you have absolutely no physical conditioning something to aim for is a 20 minute 5km time, ie 2mins/500m on your display. If you are better, this will be lower. The GB U23 cutoff time is 16:30, which is a pretty lung-scorching time. Since you're starting, being able to pace yourself and complete a 5k at any time will be pretty good going. Basically you want to be a little but bored for the first half and progressively die in the second half of your 5k.

Apart from ergs, running and spinning are top prep.

You'll do shorter pieces for regatta season where races are 2km, but they still require plenty of endurance.

I wouldn't bother with heavy lifting - you'll be doing hundreds of "reps" in a single race, how much you can squat/pendlay is far from the most important thing. There's no point carrying around muscle mass if you can't handle the lactic acid.

Core is also v important, obviously.

Basically, it's primarily about endurance and overcoming mental barriers.

tl;dr learn to love the pain
>>
>>36920767
This
I hope to see him at Hooch lol

The Erg is like a deity who will keep fucking your ass with an unlubed Cactus, but for some reason you'll be thankful afterwards

I played football and wrestled in high school and I have to say rowing is one of the toughest sports you'll ever come across. During sprint season (spring) is the proving grounds of University rowing. 2000 meters of the worst pain in your life is where you really push your body to the absolute fucking limit and see if you deserve to call yourself a man.
I've hit those 200's heart rate, blacked out, and turned blue do to hypoxia. It's awesome
>>
>>36920767
this guy is correct.

i disagree with the point about lifting, though. as an untrained kid I did a few months of SS before I started rowing and it paid in dividends. my coach later had us do various squats, rows and cleans in the gym during the winter and these definitely added explosive power to our strokes

the other thing is that your chest is not worked very hard by rowing, unlike just about everything else. it is my weakest point after 3 years in the sport and I can nearly OHP my bench. do not exhaust yourself for competition, but consider chest accessories for your own sake so you don't have tits like me on the other side.

aside from this, OP nailed it. just hit that erg and hard. long pieces, HIIT, row an hour at above steady state pace, whatever it takes

captcha: select all rivers
>>
>>36920279

hello orungutano
>>
philosophically, mental barriers are a huge part of the sport. your technique, strength and AT training will contribute but it's incredible the physical disparity between some rowers. you can see shorter, softer athletes crush tall lean guys' times solely due to willpower. go to major erg sprints and other events to see for yourself
>>
>>36920827
>>36920857

while we're all here, does anybody watch this as a crew before a big race? I always used to do it in school - still feel a wild amount of butterflies when I hear the music and Al telling you what's what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmZmKsL5eE
>>
>>36920279
hello orungutano
>>
>>36920897
yeah lol. Gives me the chills
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.