[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one train for a 10k? I've been running for a few
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Jennifer-Connelly-Running.jpg (40 KB, 635x738) Image search: [Google]
Jennifer-Connelly-Running.jpg
40 KB, 635x738
How does one train for a 10k?

I've been running for a few months, usually 6-7km, occasionally 10ish but not more. Now there is this town run I want to participate in in a few months, what do? Do I just run more or is there something I should follow?
>>
>>36910972
Don't just do distance training, mix in sprints and intervals.
>>
>>36911004
From what I've heard about training for 5k, running slowly but A LOT is almost all that matters, intervals are just not that important.
>>
>>36910972
Are you just going to participate? Why bother training. Are you trying to compete? You probably either won't, or you'll be the douche turning a friendly event into a competition.

Think about your goals, then look up a 10k training schedule. C10K is probably okay if you just want to make sure you don't crap out, if you want to be more serious you'll have to find a different routine.
>>
>>36910972
If you can already run a 10k, regardless of speed, just run 10Ks and get better at them.

If you can't run a 10K yet, drop ~15sec/km from your [max distance run] speed and see how far you can go.
>>
>>36911027
Uh, I want to run it at the best possible time. When it comes to running, everyone but the top 2% compete with themselves. And I don't want the old grandpas overtaking me.
>>
Adjust to your distance goals.
>>
>>36911023
>training
>for 5k

i've been training my whole life for 5k

it's called not being a bag of lard
>>
>>36911149
Good for you m8. But training is also about getting faster, ya know.
>>
>>36911162
how exactly is running slowly training for getting faster?
>>
>>36911069
That's a lot of EZ runs. Also, how do you know your race pace beforehand?
>>
>>36911180
Running slowly and a lot trains your heart and muscles to be good at running in general. Then you add speedwork once a week to be make sure you can also run fast. Put it together and you run faster 5Ks.

This is how it works mate. You might as well be asking "how exactly is lifting some heavy stuff a few times every now and then making your muscles bigger".
>>
>>36911198
You typically only want to do one long run a day.

You don't need to know your race pace beforehand? You slowly adjust to it (see under tempo pace). Also the practice 10k (or lower in your case).
>>
>>36911305
A week*
>>
>>36910972
Dear god her legs what the fuck
>>
>>36910972

5K Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - always run outside, never on a treadmill
5x5 Squats - try to up your weight by 5kg when you get comfortable
Eat and sleep properly.
Reduce stress as much as possible. Consistent routine is important.
Get a really good running mix. Some fast tracks and some really fast and hard tracks with longer, more consistent tracks in between.
Every month do a much longer run on Sunday morning. Go as far as you can.

You can go from couch to London Marathon in under a year doing this.
>>
just run more. If you can do 8-10 miles a couple times a week during your normal runs you should be able to make a 10k your bitch.

>>36911023
in my experience (3 years varsity XC & Track and finishing in the top 8% of a major city's marathon) the running slowly part works great.... for slow runners who stay slow. When marathon training I did every run at a hard pace. If your workout isn't challenging you then what's the point?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.