[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Being Overweight Is Linked to Lower Risk of Mortality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
>The longest lived among us aren’t necessarily those who are of normal weight, says a new study.

>According to new research in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), researchers say that being overweight may lead to a longer life.

>The somewhat surprising conclusion comes from an enormous, detailed review of over 100 previously published research papers connecting body weight and mortality risk among 2.88 million study participants living around the world. The new research confirms that obese people, and particularly those who are extremely obese, tend to die earlier than those of normal weight. But the findings also suggest that people who are overweight (but not obese) may live longer than people with clinically normal body weight.

FAT SHAMERS BTFO AND ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
now i can eat fast food every other day again
>>
load of shit
>>
>Association of All-Cause Mortality With Overweight and Obesity Using Standard Body Mass Index Categories
>BMI

Great study you got there.
>>
>>36906355
Fuck you and your bait.

The study indicated that being within the overweight range lowered risk of mortality, and only by 6%.

When you are a frail old person, or trying to fight off a disease, having a little extra fat can help you through it.

Being obese caused the mortality to spike straight back up higher than normal or underweight people.
Fat shaming is usually directed at hamplanets, not at chubby people and skinnyfats.
>>
>>36906413
>>36906408
>>36906404

Go eat a burger, butthurt skelly
AHAHHAHA
>>
OKINAWA
K
I
N
A
W
A
>>
>>36906355
sponsored by morbidly obese feminists for bernie sanders
>>
>>36906431
>The new research confirms that obese people, and particularly those who are extremely obese, tend to die earlier than those of normal weight. But the findings also suggest that people who are overweight (but not obese) may live longer

It's in your own post, cunt.
Obesity is bad.
Stop sticking up for the fat shits.
>>
>>36906431
Jokes on you, I'm considered overweight according to my BMI.
>>
>>36906355
The reason behind this is they have to get medical checkups more often, so shit that can hurt them later on gets caught
>>
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2013/01/09/ask-the-expert-does-being-overweight-really-decrease-mortality-no/

Since I don't want to write it all down myself, here's an article that tell's you all about the errors in the study, and why it is bullshit.

It's actually kinda similar to the "vaccines cause autism" study where they took on more kids throughout the study that were already showing signs of autism.
>>
>>36906355
>BMI
This doesn't factor in body fat
>>
Translated: meta-analysis. Here's the reference to OP's post.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/mobile/article.aspx?articleid=1555137

This means it has all the weaknesses of all the data from all the studies they collected, along with the biases the study authors included. This includes all the correlations from the studies they used, which fatties constantly say "CORRELATION DOES NOT MEAN CAUSATION!!"

If you read the results section, they selectively exclude a lot of datasets which "do not fit their criteria". They don't list the reason for this. They further exclude more studies, but mention that they included the same datasets. Why mwntion one but not the other? Are they hiding a bias?

They mention:
>The tabulated studies included more than 2.88 million participants and more than 270 000 deaths.
Yet this study is on the mortality. So, why all the participants, but have only over 270,000 deaths?

A common argument for fatties is that BMI is flawed. So why are fatties claiming this study about BMI risk for their advantage? That's a form of selection bias--using what fits your narrativw but ignoring everything else that doesn't. On this note, what about all the studie that find higher mortality for overweight people due to hypertension and type 2 diabetes.

So, all-in-all. Nice try fatties. Lrn2/research methodology. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
>>
>overweight
>not high BF
>>
>>36906504
This. Fatties go to the doctor more for fat issues = more facetime with medical professionals = serious issues detected early = longer life
>>
>>36906413

This. When you're getting on in age a few extra kilos is better than being skelly because it's a sort of buffer. Obese pigs
still kill themselves.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.