[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Military fitness = meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
Most soldiers I see are DYEL as fuck. I've seen a few commandos, it's the exact same.

What's all the fuss about those tremendously hard tests to become a SEAL or some shit? Is it just major bullshit?
>>
.mil shit is about meeting standards first, and endurance second.

Uncle Sam doesn't give a shit how much you can lift if you can't do it all day everyday
>>
Military training and tests are heavily cardio and a little bit of bodyweight based. It's not practical to have weights for all the soldiers that make it to basic.
>>
>>36852168
I can't speak for SEAL but SAS is more a test of mental fortitude than physical ability. To be considered for assessment you have to be capable of not hindering the squad anyway.
>>
>>36852208
thats... not true?

its a volunteer organisation, literally everyone who isnt in danger of hurting themselves is "considered for assessment"

youre full of shit
>>
Can you do jumping jacks for an hour? That's what I had to to do to get on police for New Jersey. 560 pushups in a row too. You fail then bang out 20 then fall on your face until you can only do 5 with a Sergeant screaming at you. Good times
>>
>>36852246
Are you really confusing SAS with SES?
>>
Having gone through basic training for the army twice, there's just no need to ever lift more than your body weight, and it's pretty fucking easy to pass the tests. Why? Because they just spend a lot of money getting you there and starting you up, they ain't gonna waste it on someone to pussy out halfway through.

In basic, you're carrying a rucksack, and your gear is never gonna touch over 100 lb. even if you get stuck with the 240. It's mostly about cardio and realizing what your body is capable of, especially since they do baby steps until you can complete it. For example, they do rucksack marches at 2 miles the second week, 4 miles the fourth week, etc, until the last you're doing (approximately) 12 miles the 13th and last week (this is for infantry, the hardest of the MOS's excluding 11X). For running, they do 60/120's until you're capable enough to do two 8-minute miles, and for pushups, well, just do 25 a day for 13 weeks and you'll be able to do the 40 or so in two minutes.

Once you're deployed to whatever shitty combat zone you go to, your gear *might* touch 100 lb., and you're told you might carry someone with their gear but honestly that's just not going to happen. First, if a buddy goes do down, you're gonna be dragging him behind cover, or securing the area for a bird to land and pick him up.

Army infantry is easy mode. All the other MOS's besides Airborne/Ranger/etc. are even easier. I can't comment on the other branches though as I'm not an expert for those.
>>
>>36852168
who dis? u want him to arrest me ;)
>>
>>36852328

any member of any regiment can take the SAS assessment for any reason as long as they arent likely to actually die during the event
>>
>>36852168
>Most soldiers I see are DYEL as fuck

That's because most of the focus is on cardio. Endurance is paramount, strength is secondary
>>
>>36852246
Not the guy you were replying to, but you have to have been in the armed forces for four years to apply for regular selection. Then at selection for the hill phase it's just extreme tabbing in and around Brecon (only exception is elan valley really). Then there's the jungle phase which just tests how well you can admin yourself in the field. The standards for the jungle phase are extremely high and you can't get away with the shit you could have at whatever unit you were at before as there's only one DS for every four guys. So you can't do the half-arsed rifle clean you might have been used to doing. Then when you get in your on probation for a year.

To answer OP's question, it's because they never really need to lift that much it's mostly just walking long distances with moderately heavy equipment and learning how to be comfortable in some very uncomfortable environments.
>>
>>36852168
Because being really muscular carries no benefit for a soldier. Being a good soldier is all about having endurance, physical and psychological, and good training.
All that shit you see with Delta applicants and such being drowned and the like is about testing the resolve of a soldier. Sure, you need above average fortitude, but that's it.
Experience and training is the key on a battlefield. A 6'6 roider recruit has nothing on a malnourished, but well-trained manlet with years of experience or/and superior equipment.
On a side note, hand-to-hand literally never happens on the battlefield, this is why I always chuckle when people think a good soldier is necessarily also a good fist fighter.
>>
As a POG I will say your lifters in the Army are typically POGS. Because we don't have to ruck 16 goddam miles. Your combat arms guys will have to do foot patrols and shit that is generally easier to do when you don't weigh 250lbs. Also, it's really hard to fit in some of those goddammit vehicles when you are built like a truck. The most successful guys tend tof be around 5'10, otter mode types. Their knees live longer.
>>
File: 1383428594817.jpg (180 KB, 950x1166) Image search: [Google]
1383428594817.jpg
180 KB, 950x1166
>>36852168
While we're on a topic of military, I'd like to say that I adore this myth of people getting fit through service. It is especially prevalent in countries with regular conscription (army will make a real man out of you, etc.)
What a load of garbage. Service, even during peacetime, will fucking cripple you, you'll come out feeling like a 30 year old man in a 45 year old body.
The closer you are to the actual combat, the faster your back and joints will disintegrate from carrying excessive weights all day every day. Diet is shit, so you'll become a durable and strong Auschwitz skeleton if you're a real soldier.
And lets not even talk about the dangers of the real combat: crippling injuries, PTSD, shit pay and no career perspectives after.
>>
File: My CO.jpg (42 KB, 600x606) Image search: [Google]
My CO.jpg
42 KB, 600x606
>>36854980
That's true. Most guys in my unit were at least athletic, if not ripped, but that's only because there was a heavy discrimination during the selection process. Once we were in, there was zero time to lift, we just marched and ran obstacle courses all day.
The CO of my squad was a both a manlet and a roider though. He could bench the iron curtain, I shit you not.
>>
>>36852168
being fit =/= being /fit/
>>
>>36852168
It's almost as if soldiering involves a fuckton of endurance activities and running, rather than bench pressing terrorists.
>>
They're "dyel" because they have different fitness priorities, you fucking idiot.

Do you really think somebody at 250lbs of lean muscle and 5% bodyfat is gonna be able to do the high levels of activity soldiers do?

Big muscles don't fucking matter in modern combat, you just need decent strength and good cardio.
>>
>>36852179
This.

Civilians seem to think EVERYONE in the military is dual wielding machineguns, backflipping out of apache helicopters, running around with camo painted all over our faces. Truth is, most jobs are much more relaxed than that. Our jobs are important and necessary, and can mean the difference in a successful airstrike against ISIS or not, but there is a lot of pretty chill downtime.

A maximum of maybe 10% of ALL the U.S. military will ever see combat. Most military jobs are logistical or administrative. My career, for example, if I'm ever holding an assault rifle? Then America has already lost the war and it's every man for themselves.

Military fitness for noncombat roles is all about health. How well you do on your physical training test is only indicative of how healthy you are - not really how 'fit' you are.

Combat oriented roles, like SEALS, infantry, etc, working out is literally part of their job. Someone that works in finance on the other hand - why give them 2 hours away from work to get jacked? You don't need to be strong to tell me why my paycheck is fucked up. You DO need to be strong to throw someone over your shoulder and run to safety.

Get it?
>>
>>36856000
Also this

As someone training to be a be a SEAL there are a lot of guys that are jacked and the rest are otter mode like me. Usually the jacked guys quit in BUD/S because superficial muscle holds you back on the Obstacle course and 4 mile soft sand runs.
also the entry test is a 500m swim, max push ups, max pull ups, max sit ups, and 1.5 mile run. How much you can OHP means nothing.
>>
There's literally 0 requirements you need to meet before you join.

Shit in Coast Guard basic one black chick had never even been in water before. They pushed her ass in, let her sink, then an AST scooped her up.
>>
My guess would be they work then ragged and feed them shit food.
>>
File: bombs.jpg (21 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
bombs.jpg
21 KB, 260x260
>>36855464

whole new meaning to "suicide grip"
>>
"Oh no, He can bench press 3 plate, my bullets have no effect!"
"I was going to flank their position, but he can squat 4 plate"
"I called in a 155 arty strike, but his deadlift hit 600 pounds, so he just lifted the shells!"

Every one of this sitations can be helped by running faster. We aren't vikings anymore with swords, bullets dont care if you're a dyel or not.
>>
>>36856224
On the other hand, we ride in vehicles most of the time now, and have to carry heavier shit than the vikings ever imagined. So strength is a plus.
>>
>>36852168
The department of Defense is the largest employer in the world. Of course there isn't 3.3 million macho super fit warriors.

Think of garrison army. For the most part, an active duty soldier is doing a job like everyone else but he/she is in uniform. Of course special forces, rangers, and even some airborne units will be different. Your average soldier is in much better shape than your average civilian, but that's not saying a lot.
>>
>>36852363
MOD Fag here. I think anyone can be put forward by their parent units for SAS preliminary selection, I used to work in a selection area and every month and a bit a new batch would come in and do like a weeks induction. This was partly a briefing on what to expect if they were selected. They then would go off and do a load of field craft shift and at the end of the week the selection officers decided if and who they were going to keep you on for the actual testing phase.

Most batches always had about a dozen or more who'd make it to the next phase.

Then they would all fuck off to Wales for a bit and the next batch would come in and start it again. After about 8 months you'd maybe see like 1 or 2 of the first lot you saw come back and they'd have the Beret.

I support all kinds of units with IT logistics so I meet alot of current and leaving/gone contractor personnel, and from what I've been told it's largely about breaking you by putting you in seemingly fucked up scenarios and situations and seeing how well you get by without setting others back. Despite how hard they say it is apparently the real crazy shit doesn't actually begin until you pass the selection.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.