[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinion on workout belts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: weight belt.jpg (17 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
weight belt.jpg
17 KB, 600x400
Thinking about getting one, wanted to know /fit/'s opinion on them. Will they make me look stupid, or do they actually help.
>>
as long as you aren't a fag who wears it while he's doing curls and dips or uses it on 2 plate squats then ur good to go senpai
>>
You will look like a fool wearing it unless you're lifting some serious weight.
>>
>>36850546
There is a fag at my gym that does it with his 2 plate Deadlift and 1.5 plate squat

He also wears it under his clothes
>>
>>36850576
fug, i cringe especially when i see them walk around with it afterwards doing their other shit
>>
>>36850576
lol wtf
>>
>>36850600
I just laugh and lift heavier with no belt (my massive 3.5 plate Deadlift and 2 plate squat )
>>
>>36850546
yeah some of the guys @ my gym put them on before doing pushups and planks
>>
>>36850600
>>36850546
how the fuck do people wear these around the gym? i need to loosen mine after each set of squats because its uncomfortable as fuck
>>
>>36850643
>>36850629
>>36850622
yeah i know it's really fucking uncomfortable and makes me feel like i have a corset on

i pretty much never wear one though
>>
What weight should I start using one for my deadlifts, I'm at 275x5. I have a friend that uses a belt and straps for his 315x1 deadlift and 250 lowbar squat while weighing 240lb
>>
File: shooting the feels away.jpg (33 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
shooting the feels away.jpg
33 KB, 633x758
>>36850676
>tfw 5'7 155
>see fat fucks get a 2 plate bench in like 3 months cause they're fat as fuck and it's not even their body weight
>got a chest injury so i had to take a break from working chest for 2 months
>only bench 165x5
>>
>>36850643
Does this even help or is it only worth after pushing serious weight?
>>
>>36850695
iktfb
>Shoulder injury
>Can't bench
>Was at lamo2pl8
>Heal for 4 months
>Can hardly do lamo1pl8 now
>>
>>36850643
Yeah dude I mean the whole point of a belt is to improve core support, there's no way it's doing its job if you can walk around comfortably with it on.
>>36850713
The only thing I ever wear one for is squats of 4 plates or more. I can see the benefit to wearing them for heavy deadlift too, but I don't find it helps me, personally.
>>
File: Brute.png (247 KB, 1392x607) Image search: [Google]
Brute.png
247 KB, 1392x607
>>36850524
Can /fit/ give me there opinion on this belt? I want something that'll last me a long time and this seems durable regardless of it being nylon. Price isnt really an issue I dont really spend my money keep since anything I sell like books or instruments I keep the cash in my cabinet.
>>
>>36850970
>$55 for a dip belt

trash my nigga. you'll have fallen into the hands of the jews if you buy that.

what kind of belt are you looking for? a lifting belt or a dip belt? if the latter then that price is ridiculous
>>
>>36851011
For a lifting belt Im planning on getting an Inzer once I need it

Dip just want something cool and thatll last a long time. Isnt uncomfortable
>>
>>36850676
Honestly, depends on your height, but probably once you hit past 315, if you have proper form, a belt won't really be as necessary on a lift like deadlift. The whole point of a belt is that it helps brace your abdominals, which in turn straightens your lower back, for a lift like deadlift, its a good precaution to prevent a hernia, but if you're using your lower back extensively for that lift, you're snapping your shit up and need to fix your form.
>>
>>36850524
They help by giving your abs something to push against. So you are actually working them more, engaging them in the lift. This is what helps you lift more weight. There is no right time to start wearing one.
>>
I don't get those wide ones. How do you find a holster with belt looks big enough to fit?
>>
>>36850643
Most people don't wear them tight enough. They just use them to try to look cool. I only use one when I do sets of three reps or less on squat, diddle, or bench. Anybody else use it on bench?
>>
>>36850695
>>36850695
Was your weight and height. Bench around 1,5 plates for 4-6 reps. Bench was lagging behing squat and dl.

Bulked slowly for 5 months from 70 kg to 81 kg. Now I'm repping 2 plates.

>tfw zero regrets
>>
Use them when you can't progress without one.
>>
>>36850576
>wears it under his clothes
at least that fag knows it's embarrassing.
>>
>>36850728
how did you hurt your shoulder?
>>
>>36851850

That's retarded. They make it easier on the abs by giving them something to push against. Normally, the abs are worked heavily because they have to tighten in order to contain the abdominal pressure created via the valsava manuever. Belts reduce the load on the abs by containing the pressure themselves. This is why people who use belts too early often end up not using the valsava/abdominal contraction correctly and hurt themselves once the belt can no longer carry the load by itself.

Saying it works the abs more by making things easier on the abs is some pure retard level shit. Your abs shouldn't be pushing out, they should be contracting in maximizing abdominal pressure, which stabilizes the spine.
>>
>>36852956
This. I don't understand why there is so much broscience regarding belt usage.
>>
>>36853877

And yet you keep spewing it.
>>
>>36850713
belts increase core strength and explosiveness out of the bottom of the squat AND actually train your core more than beltless

they work by giving your muscles something to push against, not by shoring up weaknesses

there's no "good weight" to start wearing a belt. If you ever get a chance to try squatting or deadlifting with a proper belt (single ply, 10mm or 13mm thick, same height the whole way around), you'll notice the difference right away

I always recommend people to wear one sooner rather than later. You can usually get more volume on your lifts because of it, which means it directly allows you to make more gains.
>>
>>36850546
>tfw I just got belt
>I use it for 2 plate squats
Is it ok if I do 2 plates for 12 reps, senpai
>>
>>36850546
imo you should be only using it for your heaviest set and 1rm attempts.

Like if you do TM, use it on your 1x5 PR day, and ditch it for your 80% volume day.

If you're still doing linear progression, you don't need one. You don't need one at all actually.
>>
File: 60932459.jpg (31 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
60932459.jpg
31 KB, 400x400
>bro is new to working out
>tell him multiple times to dl with belt
>2 days ago bro gets hernia
>mfw
>>
>>36856586
Nigga you should be able to do 3 plates before even thinking about a belt.
>>
>>36856586
who gives a shit. use the belt whenever you feel it's needed. there's no arbitrary number to hit before using a belt.
>>
>>36850524
belts are generally good for heavy shit like deads and squats. if you're using them for those movements, get a powerlifting belt. they're 4" in height and you can choose between 10mm and 13mm thickness. good brands are titan or inzer. it's useless to get the tapered ones like your pic unless you need more space for deadlifts in your front. buy quality so it'll last.
>inzer single prong master race
>>
>>36857321
if he's new to working out he shouldn't need to be wearing a belt. should be 80/20 or 70/30 for beltless/belted training. instead the fucker needs to just work on his core.
>>
>>36852956
>>36853877

>The lifting belt isn't a passive device that works all by itself. One of the ways the belt works is by allowing you to produce a harder muscular contraction against it than you can without it.

>The combination of the harder isometric trunk muscle contraction made possible by the belt, and the fact that the heavier weight you're lifting provides more training stimulus than the lighter weight you'd be lifting otherwise, means that using the belt allows you to get stronger.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-belt-and-the-deadlift

use a fucking belt.
>>
>>36850524
Will it help to protect my back when doing baby weighed deadlifts and squats

Squat and deadlift 2 plates for reps
>>
>>36858000
if you use it/breath correctly yes.

if you don't know how to breath into your gut (valsalva maneuver), then you can still easily snap your shit with a belt on.
>>
>>36857382
I am 39 and scared of hurting my back, will a belt help protect it?
>>
>>36858029
Yes, if used correctly.
>>
>>36858029
Remember, it's not the belt that's protecting you, its the fact that you are able to produce a harder muscular contraction against the belt with your abs than you can without it. You still have to engage your abs, otherwise, the belt does nothing.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.