[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How strong should I be before moving from ss with accessories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: 1457775007461.jpg (26 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
1457775007461.jpg
26 KB, 318x318
How strong should I be before moving from ss with accessories to an actual split?
>>
You never do that
>>
>>36849575
when you start to fail consistently showing that you are reached the limit of linear growth. You can either continue with strength programs such as the texas methods or try a program geared more towards hypertrophy like pplx. Don't do a brosplit unless you are on roids
>>
>>36849588
I already fell for the meme and I'm 2 weeks in.

I'm still really weak: (bench 65 3x5, squat 105 3x5, and deadlifts 135 1x5)

Should I keep going doing the meme routine?
>>
>>36849620
You can probably bench way more than 65 pounds, but it might be good to start low just to get comfy with the excersises.
>>
>>36849575
>>36849620

Why would you move from a routine that increases the weight every single workout, ensuring the most rapid pace of strength gains, to a routine that doesnt if you can still keep up with the increases?
>>
>>36849679
lol t-rex mode detected
>>
>>36849679
Because I feel like I'm not working as hard as I can even with accessories each workout yet I'm still gaining steadily

So I figure if I work harder with a different more rigorous routine then I can gain even faster, right?
>>
>>36849695
Believe me, it gets pretty damn hard once the weight gets higher.
>>
>>36849751
Alright I'll keep doing my thing then

Thanks for the advice
>>
>>36849575
>SS
>WITH ACCESSORIES
what the FUCK is wrong with you?????????
>>
>>36849679
Because maybe OP doesn't want to be a power lifter and wants aesthetics.
>>
>>36849851
It's a meme you dip
>>
>>36849851
It's what rippetoe says if you read the book you fucking dingus.
>>
>>36849872
OP is the one who picked a routine called "Starting STRENGTH"
>>
File: 1455423505819.jpg (125 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1455423505819.jpg
125 KB, 633x758
>>36849990
The sticky said it was the best for building a basis of strength and I didn't look into it much further aside from "is ss good?" and they told me to add accessories

I didn't know about how it fucks your proportions up until I actually browsed /fit/

I thought it was a meme

My fucking life is a meme
>>
>>36849575
when your form is perfect and you've run it dry of all its linear progression

when you hate doing it completely but aren't 100% skeleton

and do PPLx2 not a split
>>
>>36850018
Do you even have the book?
>>
>>36850036
It costs money

I thought that the sticky gave me what I needed to know
>>
>>36850018

SS isn't a meme. Doing a PPL while lifting bitch weight is.

Don't take ALL your health advice from a malaysian flight simulator image board.
>>
If you're worried about proportions do phraks greyskull or Sean's stripped 5x5. Very well balanced beginner routines.
>>
>>36850062
I don't see anything in there about SS. There was a link to some starting strength wiki page, but that wiki is gone.

Torrent the ebook if you have to. It's not just a routine. The book teaches form.
>>
>>36850079
4chan is the only readily accessible spoonfeeding place to get beginner advice I can find without trawling through bodybuilding.com's forums

My older brother who lifts can give his advice as a PT but he lives far away and I don't want to ask him too much because he is busy

My lifting buddies are newbies like me doing their own brosplits they found online so it's just me doing ss here

So I come to you guys
>>
>>36850119
I have done some talking to some gym regulars and with some experience lifting long ago (in middle school) have gotten my form to where it is good for the most part.

Except for power cleans

Fuck those, I did the onus wunsler variation without cleans and replaced them with pull ups (assisted with the machine because I'm fat and my upper body sucks)

So my form is OK for the most part, should I still get it?
>>
>>36850179
I still think the detail on form for all the lifts is an invaluable reference. But if you don't care about that, Practical Programming is better for routines. It covers the novice program in good detail (it changes), and then covers the advanced novice routine. Nice big section on the Texas Method in the latest edition. PP is a really awesome book and after reading and understanding it, you can make up your own routines.
>>
>>36849695
You want to progress faster than 30-45lbs on dl, 15-30 lbs on squat and about half that on the presses per week?
>>
>>36850254
I didn't start at just the bar for my legs, it was too easy because fatties like me have nice legs starting out

It was about a 15 ib gain on the squat and deadlift, I like the 20 ib gain on the arms

I was happy with that
>>
File: 1431794731044.jpg (71 KB, 500x440) Image search: [Google]
1431794731044.jpg
71 KB, 500x440
>>36850131
>4chan is the only readily accessible spoonfeeding place to get beginner advice
>buying the "4chan is better for basic information than Redditâ„¢" meme

Never mind. Your fucking life is a meme.
>>
>>36850317
I didn't go on /r/fitness because I thought they were gonna say the same things as you guys anyways and I can just post in the qtddot thread when I need specifics
>>
>>36850131
This is a horrible idea. Buy some books about lifting, SS 3rd edition is a good place to start.
>>
>>36850375
>2016
>buying books
>sttill falling for meme routines

Wew lad
>>
>>36849602
>>36849602
This. A good routine that you can work in with 5/3/1 is this one (inb4 back2reddit) https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/
>>
>>36850447
back2reddit
>>
>>36850447
So when my noob gains start tapering off go to this?

Also when is a good time to start cutting, since you can't grow muscle while cutting apparently but my BMI is literally 30, otherwise my health is fine, I had some blood work and my numbers are in normal range so my situation isn't terribly dire for a cut

Should I cut and start the ppl when my gains taper or should I cut now and lose out on gains? I'd rather say I'm bulking, get gains now and cut later desu
>>
If SS isn't doing enough for you, why don't you just add more weight?
>>
>>36851042
lol, he's been on it for 2 weeks. If he had the book, he'd know how to get to the correct starting weight, and a proper progression.
>>
>tfw I can't do a routine properly hecause of my schedule and the gym is too crowded when I go so I don't have place to DL and the bench is nearnly never empty

Thank god people don't squat, I can atleast squat multiple times a week
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.